The World Cup of Pokémon IX - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
_Two cents alert_

For a match with so many implications I think it's understandable for France to be upset. It wouldn't be a huge deal to grant an extension and have them play it out (we're already waiting on the tiebreak few extra days big deal). You know Funk is going to take it seriously, because his team needs the win, but I also understand felony is another story. It just seems kind of bogus to eliminate a team off an activity win. Understandable that the three tiebreak teams would be against this, but I hope the TDs actually take a look at this and don't let someone being inactive eliminate a good team from the tournament.

Ok, this is a general problem with tour format more than anything. The Afrabs were pretty much out of the tournament a long time ago. Anyone who was lucky enough to still have games left to play against Afrabs team members lucked out because the better players were subbed and they just generally did not give a fuck pretty much resulting in a hand out of free wins. This is simply because of tour format, a team can be knocked out and still have like 11 games to play or so which, arguably is dumb. This also had an impact on us yesterday when H-C Haxed the shit out of Marth and won. H-C's team had been eliminated a long time ago and played for pride alone, we were not lucky enough to have an opponent like Canda who didn't care.

I dunno how you fix it but my overall point is its a format issue more than anything and it really does suck that both us and France go out because an Afrabs member rightly didn't give a fuck.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If they're such a good team they wouldnt be in a position to be eliminated based on a 12-12 record. They sure as shit aren't the only team that got hax against them to cost them wins and trying to pull back a TD ruling on an activity win reeks of favouritist bullshit.

Malekith

Daddy.
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
It is really sad that a team like France is out since they are one of the best line ups ( the 2nd best imo ), but they are not out due to the activity win given to funkasaurus, they are out because they got haxed in a lot of matches. And that its horrible, we all know it, but that is a part of the game, a lot of teams were out by hax past years.

Fellony didn't care and Funkasaurus was granted with the activity win, but come on, didn't Django just threw his match vs Ojama? It's practically the same, he was really cool with the tournament and got his matches done, but Fellony could have done exactly the same and we weren't be here talking about this.

Cicada

soul reaver
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
He was asked to play but opted out because he was too busy irl.
12:40sickadai just talked to chirac
12:40sickadahe was busy the last 5 days
12:40sickadabut he is avaiable now

i told him to post something to confirm that in case of

This also had an impact on us yesterday when H-C Haxed the shit out of Marth and won. H-C's team had been eliminated a long time ago and played for pride alone, we were not lucky enough to have an opponent like Canda who didn't care.
Ok I'm just gonna reply to this, since you're talking about my team here. We were not actually eliminated when H-C was playing Marth, if we won all battles left (4 I believe), we would end up 12-12, which this year might have been enough for a spot or a tiebreaker, so obviously we're gonna try to win those remaining battles, js.

peng

fuck xatu
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not too bothered at the activity win for Canada because they probably deserved it - I'm more confused by the fact that UK had 0 games against oceania and afrabs whereas east got to play a relatively weak oceania side 4 times.

Not trying to moan about going out, and im certainly not trying to offend anyone or imply east dont deserve do to as good as they did, but surely this should be balanced for the future?

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
niggas rlly think it makes a difference who east plays,,, ill have u know our subs amassed more xy wins than most teams' starters yabish,,,,

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not too bothered at the activity win for Canada because they probably deserved it - I'm more confused by the fact that UK had 0 games against oceania and afrabs whereas east got to play a relatively weak oceania side 4 times.

Not trying to moan about going out, and im certainly not trying to offend anyone or imply east dont deserve do to as good as they did, but surely this should be balanced for the future?
Oceania wasn't a weak side anyway, although we definitely ended up underperforming in the end. I can pretty confidently say we fielded a top 8 lineup this year, but a combination of classic Pokemon rolls and a handful of lategame chokes under pressure made the stats look a lot worse than they should have been.

Easy to call a side weak in retrospect with no real context of the games that were played, but there's no way you're "balancing" things like that ahead of time. East is just as deserving of their victories as any other side, and next year Oceania will return in fighting form as we have in the past. Hopefully you guys do the same! (Besides, we gotta share the love a bit, we were always going to hit some harder times after 3 consecutive trophies what with players moving on etc...)

Good luck to the remaining sides, looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out. :)

I agree with what pana said as well. The fact is, it is obviously terrible for France that they were eliminated off of an activity win, but it was obviously a justified activity win as even Ojama agreed to. Afrabs literally had no substitutes that could play the battle yesterday, so it's not like they intentionally threw the match either; they simply had no one available to play the game. Sure, they may have a substitute who can play today, but that is irrelevant, as the deadline was yesterday. Extending the "deadline" to play this game simply because the start of Round 2 has been delayed due to the tiebreak situation, and because the results of this match greatly impact the playoff scene simply is not fair at all. An activity win shouldn't be revoked simply because the result eliminates a couple of teams; it is a fair and deserved activity win, and allowing them to play the match after the deadline simply because Round 2 is already postponed is not a just reason at all. In the end, Felony was inactive, and the Afrabs had no substitute that could play before the deadline. Therefore, they lost on activity. Simple as that; how this ruling affects other teams should be of no relevance to the decision.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Easy to call a side weak in retrospect with no real context of the games that were played, but there's no way you're "balancing" things like that ahead of time. East is just as deserving of their victories as any other side, and next year Oceania will return in fighting form as we have in the past. Hopefully you guys do the same! (Besides, we gotta share the love a bit, we were always going to hit some harder times after 3 consecutive trophies what with players moving on etc...)
I think that with balancing he just refers to the different nations playing the same number of games against each team, as it might be unfair if team A plays against team B 4 times while team C only plays B once (or zero). This can be a huge advantage to some teams if a team is eliminated soon too. Of course we can't know which teams are going to be the strongest before the tournament starts, but if the number of pairings is balanced it's better.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Shake actually sounds decently intelligent when he tries. Team Asia have it all: beauty, brains, and brawn.

I agree with everything everyone said about Team France. It's a tragedy that they don't make the Playoffs when an undeserving team like Metro move on.

Shake actually sounds decently intelligent when he tries. Team Asia have it all: beauty, brains, and brawn.

I agree with everything everyone said about Team France. It's a tragedy that they don't make the Playoffs when an undeserving team like Metro moves on.
It's ok queen you tried ;)

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
The Heat are the best team in basketball or the Heat is the best team in basketball. Either would be correct.

Nice try, King of sucking at UU.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Yes, what Cicada said. I wasn't home the last 5 days, but I'm fully available from now if a sub is needed for Afrabs.
Daily reminder that Chirac is able to play, the "no subs" cards isnt available and 3 teams are concerned about this activity win. But hey, unlike the Smogon Tour where we can delay for weeks some games, we have to finish the R1 WC in time, I can understand.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I agree with everything everyone said about Team France. It's a tragedy that they don't make the Playoffs when an undeserving team like Metro move on.
The real tragedy is that your ban expired.

Pls i invite all of you to shut the fuck up now, thx u, you're complaining about a team who's out anyways, who cares ? Why not just ask me to sub felony out ?
Subbing in Chirac for Felony, gl and cya

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)