The UU Viablity Rankings topic.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would consider Moltres A tier simply because if you're going to use it you need Spin Support and, unlike Yanmega, it doesn't 2hko nearly the entire tier with one move and is vulnerable to a somewhat common priority move. It's definitely borderline though. Edit: Borderline as in between A and S tier, not borderline like BL.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think Mesprit should be bumped up to B. It's pretty versatile, it has great defenses along with nice offenses on both sides, keeping the opponent guessing about what it's going to do next. It also provides nice team support such as T-Wave and Stealth Rock. Definitely B rank material.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think Mesprit should be bumped up to B. It's pretty versatile, it has great defenses along with nice offenses on both sides, keeping the opponent guessing about what it's going to do next. It also provides nice team support such as T-Wave and Stealth Rock. Definitely B rank material.
Gotcha. It's one of the best leads in the tier too (well imo) and that's something. I guess I should move Uxie down then. It's not THAT good and I think Mesprit is better overall.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I have to completely disagree with Mesprit being better than Uxie. The bulk and Speed are so important. I know that a few people, including myself, are running an offensive Uxie lead with the same set as a lot of lead Mesprit (Grass Knot / Psychic / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock) and it has performed better than Mesprit using the same set. The ability to outspeed and 2HKO Qwilfish before it can explode or Spike again is vital. Uxie still maintains the OHKOes or 2HKOes against Rhyperior, Kabutops, Omastar, Cloyster, etc. The ability to revenge kill Venusaur is also pretty great. That is just including that lead set; dual screen Uxie, Sub CM Uxie, regular support lead Uxie, Scarf Trick Uxie, etc. are still more reliable at their job than Mesprit would be.

Could Poliwrath get a mention at maybe D rank. With Encore he is great team support while Focus Punch still does some nice damage. He also has great typing and a great ability.

I have to completely disagree with Mesprit being better than Uxie. The bulk and Speed are so important. I know that a few people, including myself, are running an offensive Uxie lead with the same set as a lot of lead Mesprit (Grass Knot / Psychic / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock) and it has performed better than Mesprit using the same set. The ability to outspeed and 2HKO Qwilfish before it can explode or Spike again is vital. Uxie still maintains the OHKOes or 2HKOes against Rhyperior, Kabutops, Omastar, Cloyster, etc. The ability to revenge kill Venusaur is also pretty great. That is just including that lead set; dual screen Uxie, Sub CM Uxie, regular support lead Uxie, Scarf Trick Uxie, etc. are still more reliable at their job than Mesprit would be.
Completely agree. Defensive Uxie is such that it can take boosted, super-effective hits and still live. If you need something done, Uxie can do it. In my opinion there are two major things Mesprit does better than Uxie - avoid being set-up bait (but Uxie can use Memento and Yawn to cancel set-up) and a stronger U-turn. Back when Raikou was in the tier, Mesprit with some attack investment could break Raikou's Substitute and go to an appropriate counter. Uxie can't.

But anyway -

Uxie -> S rank; it's completely reliable and will get whatever you want done.
Cradily -> A rank; by FlareBlitz's guidelines, all it needs is Sandstorm support and it'll wall more than half the metagame. Same goes to all the rain sweepers.
Moltres -> A rank; by the same guidelines you need spin support or it'll never be really effective.

I don't see Hitmonlee anywhere on the list which surprises me. With the most powerful close combat in the tier (shared with Hariyama) coming off of base 87 speed and an impunity to thunder wave, Hitmonlee is one of the most powerful late game sweepers in UU. He makes for one of the best switch ins to both Chansey and Registeel (providing they don't toxic, or in Registeel's case explode) and can even rapid spin if needed to. Hitmonlee should be a very high level threat because once his counters are gone, choice scarf CC will clean sweep.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That's because the list is built up slowly and surely. I didn't just throw on pokemon, it had to be built up there. I completely concur about Hitmonlee.

Choice Band Hitmonlee 2HKO's bulky Torterra with Close combat. That Close combat RIPS through that metagame. And leading of with Stone Edge is just icing on the cake. Possibly B? This thing hurts to many teams.

Oh and I'm gonna go ahead and suggest Raichu and Venomoth for C tier.
I've get it's main set a secret for a while but I've found some mad success with the NPencore set. Encore on an offensive pokemon is just godsend and it really gives Raichu many oppurtunities to set up. (more than I initially thought) If it's speed was 106, it would have kicked some serious UU ass but 100 base will have to do. (which outspeeds quite a good amount of the UU metagame) If not

Hell, I concede that's a worse off NP than Missy and Toxicroak, but that's what C is for right? (Raichu even has the distinction of being the only NP in UU with encore so that's even better) If not C than D for sure. It's not even useless.

Venomoth is actually pretty damn good. I'm convinced that Tinted Lens is one of the best abilities in the entire game. Venomoth is going to fuck something over when it switches in. Offense teams can't rely on resistances to take it on. (Unless they are like Moltres/Blaziken and have a 4X resistance) due to tinted lens.

Sure it could use more power, but it's decently strong, and Specs Bugbuzz will utterly cripple something. Oh yeah, it also learns Sleep powder so that's something and it can be decent Toxic spiker.

I am not sure where but sharpedo and Skunktank should both be on the list on a hard hitter and one of the best pursuiters and as such suicide bombers in the tier.

Seeing as NU Pokemon are allowed in UU rankings, I would say that Kingler is C or D rank. Certainly much more viable than Charizard. If you come in on a Choiced attack you resist (Blaziken's Flaze Blitz) and pull off a Swords Dance and an Agility, not a lot stops you.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're probably having high hopes if you're pulling off both SD and Agility, though, Dual Screens is pretty much mandatory. However, Agility is good enough anyway, it's like a UU AgiliGross. I would see it as around a D rank.

Venomoth is actually pretty damn good. I'm convinced that Tinted Lens is one of the best abilities in the entire game. Venomoth is going to fuck something over when it switches in. Offense teams can't rely on resistances to take it on. (Unless they are like Moltres/Blaziken and have a 4X resistance) due to tinted lens.

Sure it could use more power, but it's decently strong, and Specs Bugbuzz will utterly cripple something. Oh yeah, it also learns Sleep powder so that's something and it can be decent Toxic spiker.

Finally, somebody agrees with me! Please move it up, it's honestly a great Pokemon and deserves to be in the C tier. Tinted Lens is such a broken ability, and while it's no Yanmega, it is to Yanmega as Feraligatr is to Gyarados (this is not implying that Venomoth is as good as Feraligatr in any way, it is just an analogy).

EDIT: OMFG you spelled Ludicolo and Qwilfish wrong my OCD is going craaaaazy!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Alright, i've made some edits. Move the E tier residents to C.
Added Hitmonlee to B tier and moved Kingler to D.

I also finally moved Jynx to B tier. (That shit's to good)

I am not sure where but sharpedo and Skunktank should both be on the list on a hard hitter and one of the best pursuiters and as such suicide bombers in the tier.
Never used Skuntank but Sharpedo is a fearsome wallbreaker. All of it's attacks pack a punch and I'll be hard pressed to switch into this fucker. Possibly C tier?

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Posting to say I couldn't disagree more with Jynx being B tier and Steelix and Drapion being C tier.

Actually looking at the criteria for B tier I'd say Jynx fits it perfectly, but I do agree that Steelix and Drapion are underrespresented on the list (Steelix more so, I love it).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Here are some idea's:
Steelix for B tier. This thing is a physical mammoth and it's typing is pretty damn awesome. It's also got roar to even differentiate it even MORE than Registeel.

Drapion (I honestly only used it for pursuiting)
Possible B tier. It can be an SD sweeper, pursuiter and a toxic spiker all in one.

Agree? Disagree?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What happened to E rank?? Anyway, I've been playing around with Illumise and she should be in the rankings, as she is viable, but pretty crappy. She's NOT outclassed by Venomoth because of her movepool advantages in Growth (A way to boost SpA), Encore, Wish, Thunderbolt, etc. I'd say D rank.

Goddamn Game Freak why the hell did you give Volbeat Tail Glow and not Illumise?! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

Swellow/Raticate/Ursaring. I think those are UU. Maybe NU? But those are S rank. Their toxic/flame orb sets are devasating! All 3 on one team is BEAST! Pair it up with a ghost, ice, and thunder pokemon and you're set to SWEEP!

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
S-rank? Really dude? The reason I made those ranking criteria is so people wouldn't say stupid things like "Raticate 4 S-Tire". I do agree that they need to be on the list, but Swellow and Ursaring should not be higher than B and Raticate should not be higher than C.

Swellow, I'd say, deserves it A rank as it's walled by little and leaves many teams with only their fast scarfer or priority users to do damage. Ursaring can pull off an absolutely phenomenal sweep with Quick Feet + SD, but it's harder to set up, gets outsped by more, and lacks Quick Attack to deal with priority users, so it deserves its rank. I haven't used Raticate, but looking at its stats, I can tell that it's pretty much completely outclassed by Ursaring (and by extension Swellow), so it would be D if anything.

i find ghat swellow should be b ranks. Sure it's walled by little, but what walls it COMPLETELY walls it. Having resistances to all attacks and excellent defense justtops swellow in its tracks if its counters aren't gone. Also getsorn down by residual damage extremely quickly ( orb, SR, BB)

And sharpedo in B tier, the thing outspeeds a big part of the metagame and hits like a freaking truck. And while it's defenses are rubbish, it DOES resist common priority moves. Also has fantastic neutral STAB

PK Gaming

Persona 5
ACK.

I missed out on a crap load of posts.

What happened to E rank?? Anyway, I've been playing around with Illumise and she should be in the rankings, as she is viable, but pretty crappy. She's NOT outclassed by Venomoth because of her movepool advantages in Growth (A way to boost SpA), Encore, Wish, Thunderbolt, etc. I'd say D rank.
Meh. Stat's don't impress whatsover but whatever floats your boat. (I see her as an E tier myself)
D for now.

I find ghat swellow should be b ranks. Sure it's walled by little, but what walls it COMPLETELY walls it. Having resistances to all attacks and excellent defense justtops swellow in its tracks if its counters aren't gone. Also getsorn down by residual damage extremely quickly ( orb, SR, BB)

And sharpedo in B tier, the thing outspeeds a big part of the metagame and hits like a freaking truck. And while it's defenses are rubbish, it DOES resist common priority moves. Also has fantastic neutral STAB
Swellow has got some nice speed though. U-turn is an excellent scouting move (part of why it's so good) and you can easily beat down those bulky sweepers that threaten you. It's also very hard to stop late game.

Sharpedo hits like a monster machine and may very well be B rank but I think I'll wait for other's to decide.
(I've never used it, only faced)

I've also made some slight changes to the list.

Chansey C > B (It's THAT good on Stall teams and with Umbreon gone it's now a show in for team slot)

Magmortar C > B (Nothing outright switches into this pokemon. Seriously next to nothing can come in unscathed due to it's power movepool/coverage)

Poliwrath D > C (I felt that it was too low. Definetely not a D tier pokemon)

Blastoise C > B (It's a bulky water and a spinner wrapped into one. What more can you like?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)