The UU MasterChef Season 1 (won by warzoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary similar to Lord Esche's team [Edit: Well, two similars]. Posting now since I might not be much online before the deadline.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 20 SpD / 144 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Recover

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Hone Claws

Rotom-H is there to act as a counterpart to Tentacruel, both with typing and defenses. It applies pressure to hazard removal and fragile and physical sweepers while maintaining momentum. Porygon2 is a replacement for Shaymin that checks Nidoking (which I cannot deal with in Sticky Web) and Gyarados as well as tankier Pokemon that cannot deal with being toxiced. It does give up the Grass STAB for Suicune, Swampert etc though. Cobalion lays rocks and provides Fighting and Steel STABs to check the Fairy types and fat physical walls that give Krookodile trouble, all while being decently fast, dismantling faster threats against it and switching out into Krookodile once that has happened. Aerodactyl-Mega is the fastest Mega around here and deals with all the faster threats Cobalion cannot, especially after Hone Claws on the switch. It serves as a cleaner when Krookodile and Toxic Spikes has worn down the opposing team enough.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-409783604 - Team as a whole, functions well without the core
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-409790931 - Really playing off the core to win versus another master chef team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-410215535 - Consistently checking and countering threats till concede

Normal Team

Krookodile @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Waterfall

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch

Krookodile and Tentacruel usually stands out as a core that has decent defensive synergy relative to a balance team. Most of the time, Krookodile and Tentacruel seem to have only one decent set in the tier, and I decided to try something I ran back in Gen IV: SD Tentacruel.

Tentacruel functions as a sweeper (not really a wallbreaker). It functions with it good typing and Rapid Spin Utility. I decided to go with Standard Krookodile because it's good. Upon initial inspection, Toxicroak screwed me over big time, so I needed something to deal with it well. CM Cress gave me a secondary win condition and a way to deal with a couple Fighting-types in the tier. I particularly like Conkeldurr because it's a good mix between a pivot and a wallbreaker that can size up against Suicune (super important to guarantee I don't auto-lose) and many Special attackers. Furthermore, it forms a cute Fighting-Psychic-Dark core with Krook and Cress, thus giving a typing-influenced synergy between the two. My team also lacked significant speed control. Furthermore, I needed something that can deal with Swamperts. Sceptile turned out to be a natural pick. Cobalion was a final pick because I needed a soft check to Fairy types. It functions very well as a pivot and sweeper too. I tend to lead with it if I can't get a read on what the opponent is planning on using against me.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Krookodile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Superpower

EVs: 204 HP / 208 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 112 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

Tornadus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
Used standard banded Krookodile and defensive Tentacruel, but I gave Tentacruel enough speed to outrun Adamant Mamo. Acid Spray helps deter setup and supports my special attackers. Next I added Specs Kyurem, an amazing breaker that works very well with Krookodile, since Krook can trap checks like Bronzong. Timid > Modest because I was scared of opposing Krook and Entei. The team was looking weak to Slurpuff and needed a rocker, so I added Mega Aggron. Thunder Wave can help slow down stuff since I don't have a scarfer. Whimsicott helps patch up weaknesses to Hydreigon, Mega Pert, Gyarados, and Cune. Finally, the newly ascended Tornadus joins the team, giving me another strong mixed breaker that can deal big damage to fighting types such as Cobalion and Conk. Tailwind allows one of my powerhouses to clean up versus offense in the late game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-411753326 - Tornadus haxes my opponent to death
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-411760022 - solid game against opponent weak to T-Spikes
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-411773566 - close game where Krook and Whimsicott put in work

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Time's up! Hands in the air! Well done!

These are the entries for this cycle:

- Lord Esche
- ChaiKnight
- eaglehawk
- warzoid

Everyone is asked to vote for the top two picks in the following categories:
  • CREATIVITY - Does the team made use of unusual Pokemon and/or sets that are very intriguing at first glance (required Pokemon included)?
  • ESSENCE - Are the required Pokemon of great help to the team's overall presence?
  • EFFECTIVENESS - Is the team worth a masterpiece to use even for Smogon Grand Slam's UU Open?

Everyone has until August 7, Sunday, 11:59 PM EST to vote for the top teams. I should expect more voter turn-out this time. ;)

Last edited:
So a few notes, every team used pursuit krook well so for the sake of avoiding redundancy I'll be focusing on the incorporation of tentacruel in the "essense" segment.
  • CREATIVITY - Warzoid, Megron offense is normally the domain of low ladder shitlords but it's actually effective here, also worked in speed control as a subtheme. ChaiKnight takes a distant second I guess, mostly because I refuse to call SD tentacruel/lolkrooksylv creative.
  • ESSENCE - Warzoid, frankly tspikes do more for kyurem and tornadus than they do for any of the other teambuilds and he actually gives band krook reasonable support for the lategame. In a close second is LordEsche for his focus on withering down maero counters with the core.
  • EFFECTIVENESS - Warzoid, I am straight up stealing this team. A very very close second to LordEsche for focusing on Mero to stave off krooksylvs inherently terrible offense MU. Shoutouts to both players for replays of a respectable quality.

Last edited:

Euphonos

CREATIVITY
1. warzoid - His team doesn't have a Cobalion among the participants.
2. eaglehawk - Hasn't anyone noticed Swords Dance on Tentacruel?

ELEVATION
1. warzoid - The rest of the teammates benefit the most from Tentacruel's Toxic Spikes.
2. Lord Esche - Based on the team preview itself, the rest of the teammates exhibited a very deadly synergy, most notably Sylveon solidifying Krookodile's purpose, and Celebi solidifying Tentacruel's purpose.

EFFECTIVENESS
1. warzoid - The offensive pressure brought by this team will be way too much for balanced builds to handle.
2. Lord Esche - The essential synergy brought by the team is very reflective of the score in this criteria.

Voting is closed, ladies and gentlemen. Encoding will be up soon.

Last edited:

Euphonos

List of votes (these will reflect in the spreadsheet):
  • CREATIVITY
    1. King Wynaut - warzoid, ChaiKnight
    2. jjoshcja - warzoid, ChaiKnight
    3. Euphonos - warzoid, eaglehawk
  • ESSENCE
    1. King Wynaut - ChaiKnight, warzoid
    2. jjoshcja - warzoid, Lord Esche
    3. Euphonos - warzoid, Lord Esche
  • EFFECTIVENESS
    1. King Wynaut - Lord Esche, ChaiKnight
    2. jjoshcja - warzoid, Lord Esche
    3. Euphonos - warzoid, Lord Esche
. . . . . . .

The winner for this cycle of MasterChef belongs to...

Chef warzoid!
(and yes, he excelled in all criteria, making it a sweep in this cycle!)

Congratulations to all winners, and thank you to those who have participated! The fifth cycle will be up shortly!

Euphonos

Hello, everyone! The fifth cycle of the season has begun!

Builders who wish to participate in this cycle, you may now open the (improvised) Mystery Box (for now).

THE LAZY SONG

"Honestly, the only thing that comes to my mind when I think about Quagsire is 'The Lazy Song'. [This is] because it just sits there recovering on your face and you can't do anything about it." --Pearl

Thanks to ABR's popular Stall team that featured Quagsire, Quagsire's usage has been skyrocketed to a point that it rose from the depths of NU to the realm of OU last May. However, with ways of dealing with Stall nowadays, ABR's sought-after team has declined in usage; consequently Quagsire's usage, which eventually led to the re-introduction to the Underused tier.

This cycle of UU MasterChef is inspired by King UU's Research Week, wherein participants are going to post their battling experiences using a certain Pokemon in question. In this cycle, Quagsire is featured as the Pokemon subject to research; with its solid defensive typing coupled with Unaware to take unboosted damage, will Quagsire carve a niche in the Underused Metagame?

Participants who wish to build a team must feature Quagsire. Quagsire's set is blank; therefore, you may use any set at your discretion.

Builders have until
FRIDAY, AUGUST 12, 11:59 PM EST
to make a team worthy to be etched in the Hall of Fame!

What are you waiting for? Get out there and start cooking!​

Last edited:

Euphonos

While the MasterChef participants are building their teams featuring Quagsire, Chairman Euphonos has called in two individuals for a team building dialogue: former Iron Chefs Hogg and Manipulative.

Euphonos:
Quagsire is such an interesting Pokemon that can really carve a niche in the metagame. Iron Chef Hogg, what comes to your mind when building with Quagsire?
Hogg:
For me, Stall archetypes immediately sprung to mind when it comes to Quagsire. It's an incredibly passive Pokemon, but holds a niche in that it can prevent those archetypes from being overwhelmed by set-up sweepers. That said, I feel like its role is diminished at the moment, as it can't stop what is one of the most dangerous set-up sweepers that is Celebi.
Euphonos:
Yeah, that is really true. What other Pokemon could be integral to Quagsire's success on a team?
Hogg:
Blissey, with Toxic. It gets a shot at beating most Celebi sets, and its Heal Bell support can help Quagsire survive in the long run as it lacks a way of recovering status conditions barring Rest.

Euphonos:
Iron Chef Manipulative, during your stint as one of the participants in the last iteration of Iron Chef, you managed to win in a certain round where you featured Quagsire. How did you build such a team?
Manipulative:
I hate to admit it, but that team wasn't well thought out at all. Quagsire and Blissey just came as a defensive backbone for what was called a "half-assed balanced" team. Besides, Zapdos was one of the Pokemon featured during that time, and I wanted to build a team with it.
Euphonos:
Well, on my part, while I have yet to build a (well, modestly successful) team featuring Quagsire, I am hoping some of the participants here are attempting to break boundaries. Granted, it works well on Stall teams, though I wanted to see someone showcasing a team that is almost of the same play style as Manipulative's; balanced teams are actually enough to break the boundaries of traditional Stall archetypes. If someone is wild enough to use Quagsire in an offensive team with huge degrees of success, I would rather give a huge salute to that participant.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
I added nicknames in the importable (change Mola to Bold if you use it btw), but it's the same exact team from the replays.

Not Doing Anything (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Toxic
- Recover

P90X (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Really Nice Girl (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Hand in My Pants (Hydreigon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt

Teach Me to Dougie (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Knock Off

In my Castle (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Heavy Slam
Went with stall (sorry Euphonos). Decided to go with HP Electric Quagsire to counter Gyarados. Added Blissey because she's the only Sylveon counter in the game besides Bastiodon. Protect Blissey may look random, but it's the only way to avoid having to win Pursuit 50/50's versus banded Krook and then being unable to switch into specs Sylv. I realized that Quag counters the fighting mons that run anti-fairy STAB (Toxicroak and Cobalion), so I decided to use physically defensive Sylveon to handle the rest. Sylveon also helps out with Sableye and Haxorus and gives the team a Heal Bell user. Next, I added bulky stallbreaker Hydreigon for a Crawdaunt "counter." It hard counters Sub CM Chandy, the biggest threat to many UU stalls. Hydreigon was also the best Cune answer I could fit. Next, the team needed a Mamoswine switchin. There are only two of them, and Alomomola was the one I chose. Nearly max physdef lets it live certain +2 hits in a pinch. Went with Knock Off in the last slot because every stall team needs a Knock Off user. Finally, I needed a hazard remover as well as an answer to CM Florges and NP Celebi with Dazzling Gleam. Specially defensive Forretress with Pin Missile and Heavy Slam did the trick.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-415896394 - I insist on choking the game away (also SD Shao is a threat)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-415904295 - Quagsire helps shut down SD Celepass
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-415911515 - facing a bizarre but scary team

Euphonos

Alright. Thanks to only warzoid participating in this cycle of MasterChef (and of course, won by default), I will drop my team here. The reason will be shown in the next post.

Little Bat (Swoobat) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

Pear-Tree (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Alphabet (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Flying Robert (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 248 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

Lobster Quadrille (Infernape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

A Long Sad Tale (Quagsire) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stockpile
- Power-Up Punch
- Rest
- Waterfall

The gem of the team integral to the modest success of Quagsire lies on the disruptive nature of Swoobat. Under normal circumstances, Assault Vest users cannot select Trick; however, Swoobat is one of those unique Pokemon that can do that, thanks to Klutz. That way, Swoobat targets opposing Pokemon with support moves such that it couldn't do anything productive either for the opposing team or against Quagsire itself, whose set is a rip-off from Snorlax's rather wacky Stockpile + Last Resort set.

As for a Pokemon that can draw opposing support Pokemon, Bulky Waters come into mind, such as Milotic and Tentacruel; these have Haze to prevent completing Quagsire's set-up process; as such, Choice Band Infernape is selected. Its U-turn allows it to grant momentum for Swoobat to Trick its Assault Vest at them, expecting a more standard Simple Calm Mind one. Next, Mega Sceptile is then added as another attacker that can deal modest amounts of damage to the opposing team in the Special spectrum, since Infernape specializes more in the Physical side. Finally, Empoleon and Sylveon are there to provide a decent defensive backbone and hint of utility by form of Defog and Stealth Rock, and Wish and Heal Bell, respectively.

The team is quite weak to Mega Beedrill such that Choice Scarf on Infernape is never a bad choice; but I like the power brought by Choice Band.

The first replay showcases Quagsire's near-complete set-up that just fell short after being defeated by Hydreigon's Draco Meteor. However, with Swoobat giving the Assault Vest to Porygon2, the opponent struggles to do anything productive to a point that it cannot select either Toxic or Recover, thus whittling it down easily.

While Quagsire being frozen in the second replay is a very unfortunate circumstance, the starter core (and Sylveon)'s prowess proves way too much for the opponent to handle.

While I lost in the third replay, Quagsire nearly had the set-up complete, though it just got faltered after a Dark Pulse flinch right at that very moment.

Euphonos

Time's up! Hands in the air! Well done(, warzoid)!

It is up to the UU community to judge whether warzoid's team is worth etching in the Hall of Fame. warzoid's team must have a cumulative score of at least 3.5 to accomplish that feat.

- warzoid
- Euphonos

Everyone is asked to vote for the team that excels in the following categories:
  • CREATIVITY - Does the team made use of unusual Pokemon and/or sets that are very intriguing at first glance (required Pokemon included)?
  • ELEVATION - Is Quagsire the last Pokemon worth using in the team, or is the last slot could be delegated to someone else?
  • EFFECTIVENESS - Is the team worth using even in Smogon Grand Slam's UU Open?
With only two teams present, the top team receives 5 points, while the other team receives 2.5 points.

Everyone has until August 15, Monday, 11:59 PM EST to vote for the best team in those categories. Get out there and start voting!

Last edited:
Reactions: GXS
The only creative part of Warzoid's team is using lefties on the Hydreigon, something I haven't seen before. Everything else, including the pink core, is very standard on stall or semi-stall. Sets are all very normal. Euphonos used AV trick Swoobat. That's so cool because you don't have to risk tricking specs or scarf onto a dangerous mon, for example. Really think that is cool and might look at using it on future teams.

I don't think Quag is really a champion on Warzoid's team. And with the number of water absorb users and the prominence of Celebi, I'm not terribly certain it qualifies as the best "last option" on the Master's team either--I think most generic setup mons would fill the spot quite nicely, including Gyarados (who enjoys Sceptile's lightning rod). But Quag seems more of a focal point on Euphonos' team where as it was just sort of added to Warzoid's team.

I'm awful and have no idea which team is more effective. Probably Warzoid's team because pink core is really strong. But I have a hard time supporting a dish that used the main ingredient as a garnish.

Creativity- Obviously Euphonos lol,that swoobat was amazing
Elevation- Gotta go with Euphonos, as Warzoids quagsire is clearly outclassed by other bulky waters
Effectiveness- Warzoid, he has the Alo Bliss God core

Creativity - Honestly, this is a very close call between the two teams. That swoobat is more effective than I presumed in the first place (well the replays don't really show its effectiveness but you beat me with that team Eupho and the surprise factor of TWave Swoobat just took my team apart - neutralizing three of my members so I know the pain), but still it is really a gimmick that relies too much on surprise factor because your opponent cannot really predict you at all. While your Quagsire set is really well-thought, with the amount of offensive pressure in the tier - even after monsters like Zam and Mence gone, it won't be that effective since every good UU team should have a good answer to Mega Swampert (imo) (tho your Quag simply wrecks stall since we lack bulky grass types and the only thing that fully counters it is Hex Jellicent). Not saying that it isn't creative at all, but honestly warzoid 's team caught my eye with those really surprising sets of especially Forretress (Pin Missile) and bulky Hydreigon (which somewhat reminds me of the bulky Talonflame set of OU) which surpasses Euphonos 's gimmicky creativity imo. TL;DR my vote for creativity goes to warzoid

Essence/Elevation - Hmm, another close call. To be honest, I think (even with HP Electric) Quagsire on warzoid's team is as necessary as Quagsire on Euphonos'. But well yeah, even the offensive 'mons on Eupho's team is designed as a support to Quag, while Quag doesn't really support the rest of the team. Meanwhile, Quag both has and provides support on warzoid's team. Both teams have their Quag really irreplaceable in my eye. So I wanna use a noncommittal vote here. If I'm not allowed to do that, warzoid has my vote again.

Effectiveness - Definitely, by a long mile, warzoid gets my vote for effectiveness. Not only succeeding in building a really successful stall team - that I'm planning to use to ladder if you don't mind ;) - on today's UU (which is really, really offensive compared to two years ago) but also using much less gimmicky sets than his opponent earns him my vote on effectiveness.

Euphonos

The votes are now encoded. Is warzoid's team worthy to be etched in the Hall of Fame?

YES! With the cumulative score of 4.167, warzoid's team is now etched in the Hall of Fame! Congratulations!

Reactions: KW

Euphonos

Hello, everyone! The sixth cycle of the season has begun!

Builders who wish to participate in this cycle, you may now open the (improvised) Mystery Box (for now).

UNDER THE SEA - REVISITED!

Darling, it's better down where it's wetter,
take it from me.
Up on the shore they work all day,
out in the sun they slave away,
While we devotin' full time to floatin'
under the sea~

While this cycle of MasterChef is mainly extracted from Euphonos's Iron Chef theme, there are quite a few twists to this theme. First, dingbat's Next Best Thing also comes into play here, where the participants should use one of the Pokemon's winning set. Then, Euphonos has tweaked the requirements such that people may now select another Pokemon with at least 100 in either Attack or Special Attack base stat.

As such, participants should build a team revolving around Crawdaunt, the Pokemon dingbat selected in one of the rounds in the Next Best Thing (and are required to use the set shown below, courtesy of Ice Tea), and another Water-type Pokemon with at least 100 in either Attack or Special Attack base stat (the pool is shown above), with the sets up to your discretion!

Code:
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off / Crunch
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo

Builders have until
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26, 11:59 PM EST
to make a team worthy to be etched in the Hall of Fame!

What are you waiting for? Get out there and start cooking!​

Last edited:

Euphonos

Some other notes on this theme:
  1. Blastoise is technically not counted as one of the required Pokemon in the theme. While Blastoise in its Mega Evolution grants a Base Special Attack (and even Attack) of at least 100, its base form doesn't reach those base stats beforehand.
  2. As the Pokemon shown in the theme are in the UU tier, you may feel free to use other Water-type Pokemon in the lower tiers, provided either base Attack / Special Attack stat fulfills such conditions.

Reactions: Mq
http://pastebin.com/R0d4r6sP
If I needed to build around crawdaunt I needed to do something about its speed. I wanted tr but the given set was band(smh).
Other options left were tailwind or webs. So I chose webs.
At first I chose shuckle cuz if gave me rocks as well but then again I didn't like the idea of a suicide lead, so I locked onto galvantula. Standard set(I wonder if energy ball is .-.) sash to make almost 100% sure it sets webs but most games I don't like leading with it cuz that's what the opp expects :)
Next up I had to choose the water Mon(ugh was that 2nd?). I wanted to support craw with it too so I went with swampert mega. It's a decent check to fast flying types like aero/crobat and in general it's a beast in rain, an important reason for choosing it for if it dies crawdaunt can always use the rain boost.
As I'm using webs I wanted to make sure I don't have a problems with them flying/levitate mons. I thought of using lisk but went with kyurem-w cuz more power. I gave it specs to make it a monster,timid cuz of webs.
I needed a spinner and someone who could switch around to give me some momentum. Forretress was perfect for this and it also gave me rocks so win-win.
I thought all was well except the fact that my team doesn't like ESPEED. So I put in an espeeder of my own! Luc over entei cuz more power. Adamant cuz of webs and ( just need to set webs if the opp has a lucario too).
All in all a try to drill holes in the opps team with 3/4 offensive mons and clean up with the other kinda team. It works imo.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-422004064
Ladder match -W

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-422009993
Vs esteemed tours roomvoice Jordn-W

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-422016970
VS the host himself -L :(

Of course I'm a fast worker. I saw Water Types, and instantly I knew how to torture the UU community with my shenanigans.

I present my dish - Riptide.

When I saw the requirement for Switcheroo Crawdaunt, I instantly knew I'd be going for disruption rather than muscling past threats. So it took me a few seconds to figure out how to do it, then I just did it, adding Nasty Plot Infernape to compliment Crawdaunt and provide a way to break through overly bulky steel types and beat Cobalion, Mamoswine 100% of the time, and other things. Nidoqueen has for a while been on my teams and doesn't really need much explanation, being an offensive SR set. Mega Blastoise doesn't fit the criterion, because of the base form, but the extra bulk it can provide is useful and it's a spinner. Gatr is an SD set just to be able to hammer through other things and provide a stall/wallbreaker. And at the end of the team, to make a decent pairing of Switcheroo, Scarf Floatzel provides some much-needed speed and a way to outpace MAero, Beedrill, and some various setup sweepers, as well as being able to switch items and potentially detriment other teams.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Floatzel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Switcheroo

another Water-type Pokemon with at least 100 in either Attack or Special Attack base stat (the pool is shown above)
Wait are we not allowed to use RU mons like Clawitzer (who is not in the pool shown above but has a Special Attack of 120 and is UU legal)?

Euphonos said:
Some other notes on this theme:
  1. Blastoise is technically not counted as one of the required Pokemon in the theme. While Blastoise in its Mega Evolution grants a Base Special Attack (and even Attack) of at least 100, its base form doesn't reach those base stats beforehand.
  2. As the Pokemon shown in the theme are in the UU tier, you may feel free to use other Water-type Pokemon in the lower tiers, provided either base Attack / Special Attack stat fulfills such conditions.

Last edited:

Building around Crawdaunt and another strong water-type inspired me to make rain offense, specifically using Swampert as a Swift Swim rain sweeper. Since Drizzle is banned in UU, I had to find another reliable way to set up rain. Then I found it: Prankster Tornadus. It can Taunt, disabling the other lead from being able to setup, and get rain up on the switch. It also checks Grass types, protecting Swampert. From there, I needed a rocker. I chose Metagross, as it is bulky and checks Fighting and Fairy types, both of which Crawdaunt has trouble with. After playtesting a little, I found that Tornadus has trouble setting up rain midgame. I decided to get another rain setup pokemon, and picked Suicune as it has lots of bulk, aloowing it to survive and put up rain. Finally, I needed a spinner and used Tentacruel as Rain Dish synergizes with the team. Where does that leave Crawdaunt? He functions as an excellent revenge killer, even more so under rain.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Suicune @ Damp Rock
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
- Rain Dance
- Roar
- Scald
- Rest

Ability: Rain Dish
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Giga Drain

Swampert @ Swampertite
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Rest

Edit: I don't know how to do code, figured out how [hide) works, edited formatting
E2: Corrected formatting issues to make my entry eligible
E3: added avatars. sorry about all the edits, 1st time entry

Last edited:

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
hi

this is a pretty straightforward volt-turn + daunt build. bee + rotom-c form an excellent offensive core that gives cb daunt the opportunity to safely come in and rip stuff apart. sd works over band but seeing whimsicott taking about 70 from crabhammer on the switch is just too funny lol. next i wanted some defensive backbone so i went with an old favourite of mine, the infamous empoleon + gligar core that (even though it has fallen from grace since early oras) still gets the job done. didn't exactly feel the need for roar on the last slot (emp) and decided to go with toxic + tect instead. the last addition i made was snorlax, providing my team with a potent win conidition and much needed entei check. double trick on rotom-c and daunt actually helps a lot creating set up opportunities for lax. not much else to say here, check out the replays for some action.
had some fun stuff like fell stinger bee (picking off weakened stuff by daunt) and hp bug rotom (for dem celebis) on here before but this is the version i ultimately decided on:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Protect

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
replay #1: protect is actually the best move in the game
replay #2: vs adaam, last mon lax wins but rotom says no
replay #3: good lord this guy took forever to pick his moves; beedrill + daunt eventually clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)