Tournament The ORAS NU Ladder Tourrnament III [Won by Teddeh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
ok semis coming up

semifinals
Teddeh vs. rozes
Orphic vs. (HJAD vs soTsoT)

deadline is w/e just get it done within a week or so

Cycle 4 Qualifiers

Rank: #1 | ELO: 1631 | GXE: 84.1% | Record: 66-22 (75.0%)
Rank: #3 | ELO: 1604 | GXE: 81.4% | Record: 64-24 (72.7%)
Rank: #4 | ELO: 1580 | GXE: 84.1% | Record: 64-19 (77.1%)
Notable / Popular Cycle 4 Teams

Below are some popular teams used during Cycle 4. These show some of the trends discussed above and provide some insight into the type of builds people were using to compete with (mainly bulky offense and offense). Many of the teams here were used by more than one person, including several of the people who qualified for Cycle 1. I may have missed a few, so please feel free to mention any teams you feel were popular during the cycle and I will add them. Note, replays were a little tedious to find, so if there are better ones people have in mind, please let me know and I'll include them as well.
  • - Used this round by sanjay., a hyper offense team built around sash Archeops lead and strong special attackers. The team starts with Archeops to get up rocks, then use the dual specs combo in Swellow and Lapras in order to break through bulkier special walls. In order to win the hazard wars, he also runs Garbodor and Rotom for spikes and spinblocking respectively, with Rotom also giving the team another way to wear down specially defensive mons with sub / wisp. Hitmonchan is also there in order to spin for the stealth rock weaks in Lapras and Swellow. Replays: #1 #2
  • - Similar to the above build, soTsoT used a hyper offense team based around a Sash Lead, however this time the choice was Archeops. He uses wallbreakers like Tauros and Shiftry in order to clear the way for cleaners like Scarf Mesprit and Raichu. By using Skuntank to trap and check psychic types, Tauros and mesprit have a much easier job cleaning up late game. Replays: #1 #2
  • - Used by Dibs The Dreamer in this cycle and previous ones, Dibs uses a very solid balance team in order to rival the offense teams that dominated the ladder this cycle. He uses the solid hazards core of Steelix, Garbodor, and Scarf Rotom to get up hazards and keep them up, while checking common physical attackers. He then uses Hitmonchan in order to prevent hazards likes spikes and stealth rock from chipping down his team, as well as a form of priority in Mach Punch. Kangaskhan was added to take advantage of toxic spikes with Fake Out, as well as wallbreak with strong Double-Edges. Malamar was added as the cleaner, as its able to finish of a lot of teams due to having a few weaknesses, and how easily it can set up. Replays: #1 #2
  • - The standard rain team finally made its way into the tour, and it was used by Bushtush. I've talked about this team in previous cycles, so I'll just paste in what I talked about. Rain has been another common archtype that people see on ladder due to how great of a matchup it can have vs common offensive and balanced archetypes due to them not being able to handle the constant pressure from Pokemon like Luidcolo, Kabutops, and Omastar.
Overall this was a great final cycle, and feel free to PM me more replays / teams that you think should be included, or just post it yourself below :toast: (s/o bloo for the format)

Last edited:

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
posting for my own posterity and b/c i like the format
i had a pretty good shot at getting in the fourth round but i sorta forgot about laddering altogether oops! i used a buttload of teams but this is the only one i have a replay on hand for. there wasn't really any idea behind the team apart from "hey look cb scyther looks nice" and then me using a couple fetish mons like protect sash jynx and lo jolly samurott. hitmonchan is scarf, pilo standard, xatu bulky grass knot. needs things like an actual tauros answer and maybe a normal resist in general, but it was a fun team to play mostly even if i lost a bit with it. game with advantage
continuing the sd samurott fetish, this was a cool HO team. it either won the game handily or got whomped (rain). i had some other skuntank set first but changed to memento + lum, because vivillon dicked over my team and i didn't really have any counter play & memento on heavy hazard teams is cool. taunt special floatzel, double dance don, lum hp ice lilligant, standard hazards crustle, splash sd jolly samurott. also i ran water veil on floatzel because switching into wisps and scalds without fear of burn is so nice, and swift swim is so situational that it felt moot. you can always change that if you want though
last one. i built this entirely on a whim, lost the first game and declared it sucked, then won a random tournament and like 85% of the next games i played with it. cb skuntank is OG, and pursuiting ghosts & psychics clears house for gurdurr & goose & sawsbuck. slow xatu u-turn into zangoose is probably one of my favorite things in the world, especially since zangoose is actually impossible to prepare for. costa was a defensive scald set which helped a ton about having no fire resist, and sawsbuck was fast adamant scarf with baton pass. i almost never used jump kick or baton pass (de and leech were the other two moves), but loved the idea of bping an attack boost into skuntank or zangoose or something. everything just paired up really well together and it was a nice team to use, didn't really feel like i was out of any game except rain

rain also fucked over every team i used so just click x if you face it heh. lastly every one of these teams were pretty bad but most games were enjoyable, so that's what matters!!

edit: also can we talk about how nicely it lines up if soTsoT beats HJAD? you'll have one player from each week in the top four. how nice

Last edited:
Teddeh vs. rozes - really close though, like both players. rozes is the better builder, or at least the more versatile, but teddeh knows how to pull games out of his ass
Orphic vs. (HJAD vs soTsoT) - sotsot is kind of an underdog i think but any of them can win

rozes to win it all

Lycans

Bebe's my bae
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Teddeh vs. Rozes – Truthfully, I had been waiting for this game for a large part of the tournament. Both rozes and teddeh have had an impecable participation. This will be a very close one

Orphic vs. (HJAD vs soTsoT.) – I foresee HJAD as the other finalist. I've seen plenty of his matches and you can clearly tell he knows what he's doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)