Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Unless I'm completely missing something why wouldn't you use Pin Missile and Rock Blast, as they are stronger than Megahorn/Stone Edge and the latter is more accurate. Unless you're choosing to not mega evolve and abuse Guts, which would ruin the point of using Heracronite and it would be wise to switch to Leftovers, but regular Bulk Up Heracross sounds awful. Night Slash is also pretty worthless on it because you hit all the Psychic-types with Pin Missile, and the only very relevant fat Ghost-type is Mega Sableye which is hit a lot harder by Pin. Also the Speed benchmark you're hitting with that spread is a little weird because it doesn't outspeed anything relevant, so you're better off investing more in bulk. I'd recommend just using the standard 240 HP / 136 Atk / 132 Spe spread with an Adamant nature, so you still have plenty of bulk investment as well as enough Speed for defensive Lando-T as well as most Rotom-W, but you can choose to run 136 to creep the 44 Spe variants.
I was actually a bit iffy with the current spread since I'm not very good at altering spreads so I'll definitely check out the standard spread. I was also confused about how to take advantage of Skill Link and was oblivious to the fact it has Rock Blast and Pin Missile haha so thanks for the feedback

RestTalk Guts

Heracross (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Stab powerful, getting the bonus of Guts while sleeping, with 2/3 chance of hitting the opponent with an insane power.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Poison Jab

Band Hera is disgustingly powerful and acts as a fun status absorber. If it absorbs a Will-O-Wisp it's gonna get a kill every time it comes in. Close Combat and Megahorn are disgusting, Stone Edge nails anything that resists its STABs for heavy damage, KOff allows it to remove things items while also giving it a 100% accurate option to OHKO Gengar and a way to deal heavy damage to Coffagrigus and Jellicent, whereas Poison Jab nails Clefable for huge damage.
Actually I don't think Hera learns Poison Jab...

Facade Mega Heracross

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts -> Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Facade

Close Combat, Pin Missile, and Rock Blast are all pretty much necessary on Mega Heracross, but the last slot is wide open. With a multitude of options, such as Swords Dance, Substitute, and Bullet Seed, it's almost impossible to guess what Heracross will carry. But regardless of what it carries, burning Heracross tends to stop it dead in its tracks. All of its moves are weaker with a burn, except Facade, which actually gets stronger.

Although unboosted Facade is out damaged by an unburned Close Combat or Pin Missile, once Heracross is burned, Facade becomes its most powerful move, allowing it to retain its usefulness in breaking offensive teams.

252+ Atk burned Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 145-175 (42.5 - 51.3%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 219-258 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk burned Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 70-85 (20.7 - 25.2%) -- approx. 0% chance to 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 159-188 (47.1 - 55.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk burned Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 105-120 (34.6 - 39.6%) -- approx. 23.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, with Facade, Heracross still has the muscle to punch holes in teams that rely on things like offensive Lando-T or Rotom-W in defensive cores.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Voting begins now and ends in 48 Hours, Here are your choices:

Sub SD Mega Heracross
Choice Band Heracross
Choice Scarf Heracross
Bulk Up Mega Heracross
Assault Vest Heracross
Sub Focus Punch Mega Heracross
Salac Berry Heracross
RestTalk Heracross
Facade Mega Heracross

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The Winner of Week 34 goes to Martin.'s Choice Banded Heracross! Congratz for entering the Hall of Fame!

The Pokemon for Week 35 is Gyarados!
/

Gyarados is a Pokemon that I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I never really wanted to do it. Since then, the metagame has changed drastically from being a Hyper Offensive to a much more Bulkier Strategy; mostly due to Volcanion, although the Pokemon being used hasn't changed themselves. Gyarados hasn't gotten that much better since, however that doesn't mean that innovation can't change the tide.

P.S. Check the SmogDex (OU) before posting

Anyway, GL & HF

Sobi

Banned deucer.

gyarados @ choice band | moxie
jolly | 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
waterfall | earthquake | bounce | stone edge

this choice band set aims to augment gyarados's already high attack stat and allow it to even better wallbreak past bulky cores. gyarados has a lot of coverage under its belt but i've simplified the first three moveslots to 2 STAB moves and a coverage move. for the last slot, you've got an option for many other moves but i have chosen stone edge just for the pure sake of random coverage and to hit other flying-types, which is nice i guess. you can run double-edge for the good neutral coverage it provides, or ice fang to hit grass-types on the switch. jolly nature is used for a little more speed. moxie is used here to make gyarados as threatening as possible if it lands a KO, which shouldn't be too hard due to choice band being the item of choice. crunch can be used to hit slowbro and other psychics hard.
252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Bounce vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 211-250 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 354-416 (146.8 - 172.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 608-716 (157.5 - 185.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 440-522 (136.2 - 161.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 200-236 (52.3 - 61.7%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Stone Edge vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 426-502 (131.8 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 350-414 (102.6 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
introducing the best set to ever grace these boards

Choice Scarf Gyarados:

Gyarados @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Description:

This set aims to automatically alleviate Gyarados' unimpressive speed via scarf while abusing Moxie boosts to hopefully sweep lategame. Not much to really say here, but I guess you can opt for intimidate if you want something with a bit more defensive utility.

Fuck natural gift, okay.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
-Waterfall
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Dragon Dance

Basically a worse DD ChestoRest. Mega Gyarados has decent bulk that lets it set up against things like Keldeo and other ..stuff that I probably won't bother to look for even if I am not on my phone. Works as a late game win-condition. Crunch works too but I like Waterfall's ability to flinch. More for fatter teams than DD Chesto I guess.

I can't really think of a reason why you should use this but it has better bulk than ChestoRest if that rocks your boat.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Defensive Thunder Wave Gyarados

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 224 Def / 24 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is a variant on defensive Gyarados (I've used it a few times in the past and it's a lot of fun+surprisingly consistent at what it does) which opts to carry Thunder Wave over other options. The key draw to this is that Gyarados' really good bulk combined with it deterring Ground-type switch-ins and Intimidate give it an easy time spreading around paralysis. Waterfall is chosen over Scald because it hits harder (so Gyara isn't completely passive+dependent on burns), doesn't interfere with Thunder Wave and has a nasty 20% flinch rate--allowing you to attempt to paraflinch when you are in a pinch. RestTalk provides recovery and makes spreading paralysis easier while also allowing Gyarados to act as a status absorber. The listed EVs hit a Leftovers number (the UU analysis overshoots it by 4 EVs) as well as the last jump point in defense and outpaces Adamant/Naughty Crawdaunt--allowing you to get off a T-wave before it uses KOff. Other viable spreads include (but aren't limited to):
  • 212 HP / 184 Def / 64 SpD / 48 Spe Impish (hits the next defense jump point down)
  • 212 HP / 32 Def / 216 SpD / 48 Spe Careful (hits the last SpD jump point)

Last edited:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt

Mega-Gyarados has a lot of trouble breaking past steel types and Chansey. With Taunt it can freely set up on Heatran without fear of being taunted or toxiced. It can also Taunt Ferrothorn to prevent Leech Seed and Thunder Wave, Clefable to prevent Thunder Wave and Wish/Softboil, and Skarmory to prevent Whirlwind and Roost. Taunt Gyarados drops coverage or Sub for taunt. With it's bulk, Taunt should help it setup with ease. I think that this Mega Gyara should have some bulk, but I am not sure of the EV spread.

I hope this counts since Taunt is nowhere on the smogon analysis.

Last edited:
Natural Gift Gyarados

Gyarados @ Watmel Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Natural Gift

Natural Gift allows gyarados to bypass some of the major counters of it like ferrothorn, skarmory, rotom-w, etc. I chose Watmel Berry since it covers more mons like ferro, skarmory, scizor. Liechi Berry can also be used to cover mons like Rotom-W, Slowbro. Both berries carry 100 Base power. Rest of the moves are standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)