The Move: Super Fang

Houndoom seem to be a great Super Fang user...

But @ Gwabatim: We don't need to use Super Fang to kill anything. It's just needed to hit the opponent once or twice and dent it enough for easy-kills. 44% off the bat on a @Leftovers Cresselia, Blissey, Snorlax, Swampert, Metagross, Latias, Skarmory, Forretress, Machamp, Bulk Gyarados, Suicune, etc. is a lot to offer from ONE MOVE. I don't think any other move can guarentee to take 44% from all of those listed above.

Specs Hyper Beam from Porygon-Z would be the only thing I can think of, and I don't even know how much that does to the steels though.

Specs Hyper Beam from Porygon-Z would be the only thing I can think of, and I don't even know how much that does to the steels though.
Actually, Max SpAtk Specs Hyper Beam with Adaptability does 60.71% - 71.43%% to 252 HP Metagross but can "only" manage 38.25% - 45.01% to 176 SpD Calm Blissey

Houndoom seem to be a great Super Fang user...

But @ Gwabatim: We don't need to use Super Fang to kill anything. It's just needed to hit the opponent once or twice and dent it enough for easy-kills. 44% off the bat on a @Leftovers Cresselia, Blissey, Snorlax, Swampert, Metagross, Latias, Skarmory, Forretress, Machamp, Bulk Gyarados, Suicune, etc. is a lot to offer from ONE MOVE. I don't think any other move can guarentee to take 44% from all of those listed above.
clearly you don't understand what i said.........tisk tisk what is the world coming to?.........

I wouldn't be suprised if there are viable teams that all carry Super Fang or trap. >_>

Super Fang Crobat in OU will be nightmarish considering Tyranitar is so common. Super Fang switch->U-Turn->Tyranitar if they stay in. And U-Turning to Scizor can mean for most Pokes that they have to either switch and get set up on or get Bp'd. Even if something like Mismagius or Gengar come in, they will hate the BP. This means that Rotom Formes and/or Magnezone usage will increase.

In UU, Hail will be more common too. Walrein with Aqua Ring, Super Fang, Protect/Encore and Surf will beat out almost every wall in UU. After Super Fanging and Encoring a recovery move, Dugtrio will trap and kill you with Toxic Spikes support. Weezing might very well be the best way to stop this.

Of course, I'm theorymoning, so don't go looking for my address. Unless you're a hot chick. :naughty:

In UU, Hail will be more common too. Walrein with Aqua Ring, Super Fang, Protect/Encore and Surf will beat out almost every wall in UU. After Super Fanging and Encoring a recovery move, Dugtrio will trap and kill you with Toxic Spikes support. Weezing might very well be the best way to stop this.
Or, you can switch out right after they Encore, and voila, no problems whatsoever.

I'm more interested in the fact that Huntail gets this move, mainly because of Brine. Sure, Sharpedo gets Super Fang+Brine. It also can't boost its Speed with Rain Dance and has the defenses of a wet paper bag. Huntail, on the other hand, sports Swift Swim, and respectable defensive stats. I'm imagining something along the lines of...

Huntail @Damp Rock
Modest
252 Sp. Atk/250 Spd/8 HP
*Rain Dance
*Super Fang
*Brine
*Ice Beam/Hidden Power Dark/Ghost

The EVs are a work in progress, and Stealth Rock support is a must for anything that carries leftovers. The real attraction here is a speedily delivered Super Fang, followed up by a powerful Brine. After factoring in Brine's secondary effect, Huntail's STAB, and the weather, we're talking 292.5 base power here, off a 315 Special Attack stat, on a target that has less than half their HP remaining. Scary thought, eh?

While that is a good set for Huntail, one thing worth noting about Sharpedo is that it gets STAB Crunch and outruns Rotom with a +Speed Nature.

I dunno, I'm uneasy about my sweepers 2HKO-ing most of the time.
I suppose if you have multiple counters that are weak to different moves (that you do have) then Super Fang can be a nice way to ease prediction.

Talking about Brine + Super Fang, how about giving it a try on Stallrein?
I didn't even realise Walrein learned Brine before now.

With Super Fang, Hail and Walrein's bulk, it will not be difficult to turn Brine into a STAB 130 BP move.
If Brine is used the 48 EVs typically put into speed should be invested in SpA.
All my calcs were done with that spread so if SpA could be boosted Brine would sting even more.

Walrein@Leftovers
Substitute
Protect
Super Fang/Roar
Brine/Surf

Since powered Brine does an average of 46% to 252 HP Metagross it has a good chance of fainting from Super Fang + Brine, Hail damage considered

Max HP, 216 SpD, Careful Tyranitar *barely* survives Super Fang + Brine but only the Curse variant is that defensive.
However, if we're assuming Stealth Rock and two layers of T Spikes, even this TTar faints to the combination.

Bulky Gyarados faints from two Super Fangs + Brine (average of 20%) + Hail so Taunting and Dragon Dancing is out of the question.
[It's, unfortunately, still a 3HKO with Stealth Rock since Super Fang does less damage to a 75% Gyarados]

These moves give Stallrein an answer to some things that usually trouble it.
I'm guessing bulky, T Spikes immune Ghosts could be problematic for this Walrein.
I'm thinking a Rotom-A (esp with Trick) or a Mismagius with SubCM.
I don't see much else resisting Toxic Spikes, Super Fang, Brine and Hail for too many turns unless they have Rest and Water Absorb.

I hardly think any good player would seriously consider this set on mew, its too gimmicky and the only thing you could get is surprizing your opponent, and for a surprize, its not that much.

I have tested super fang on crobat on walrein and crobat and so far most of their switch-ins need to either be incapacitated by sleep or taunted so they don't just recovery the damage done by super fang. A good utility move would be knock off to help delete leftovers or black sludge recovery, so maybe a donphan paired with super fang crobat and thick fat super fang walrein would work well since they have great synergy together as well as access to moves such as knock off, taunt, stealth rock, roar, whirlwind, hypnosis and some more I'm probably forgetting.

Super Fang + Brine is a fairly good combo, but you really need residual damage. Walrein has Hail support to cancel out Leftovers, but that still leaves them on exactly 50%. As such both sets really need entry hazards to ensure Super Fang will bring them below 50%.

OMG walls will be made completely useless with this. I guess that this will move a lot of Pokemon from their tiers. Walrein, Sharpedo and Huntail may go to UU and Crobat will be OU. This will be fun. I will try constructing a team based on this :naughty:

OMG walls will be made completely useless with this. I guess that this will move a lot of Pokemon from their tiers. Walrein, Sharpedo and Huntail may go to UU and Crobat will be OU. This will be fun. I will try constructing a team based on this :naughty:
Don't be so sure. A stall player's first switch-in to Crobat is Rotom-A, who is immune to Super Fang and often has Sleep Talk to deal with the odd Hypnosis. I can see some smart Crobat-CBTar users beating Rotom-A and letting Gyarados/Metagross sweep, but they could do that before, so Super Fang doesn't exactly help against stall. Against offense, it can be handy, and Crobat doesn't exactly have fms, so it could be worth it.

Of course, I'm theorymoning, so don't go looking for my address. Unless you're a hot chick. :naughty:
I think Theorymon would cry if he heard that his name had a verb form. Or maybe that's the reason he picked it.

Super Fang + Brine is a fairly good combo, but you really need residual damage. Walrein has Hail support to cancel out Leftovers, but that still leaves them on exactly 50%. As such both sets really need entry hazards to ensure Super Fang will bring them below 50%.
I think brine doubles on 50% or lower but yeah, it's close.
Residual damage is a must especially with leftovers.

Does Super Fang work like Stealth Rock on a 4x weakness, and take away less than half if the HP is odd? And when does it stop working? If it is like SR, then it rounds up and therefore it could never kill a Pokémon with 1 HP left...

Does Super Fang work like Stealth Rock on a 4x weakness, and take away less than half if the HP is odd? And when does it stop working? If it is like SR, then it rounds up and therefore it could never kill a Pokémon with 1 HP left...
Super Fang always deals 1 damage minimum, but I think it rounds up their HP.

Sure, Sharpedo gets Super Fang+Brine. It also can't boost its Speed with Rain Dance and has the defenses of a wet paper bag.
first, thats completely untrue. paper bags are way tougher. second, used with a linoone super fang that is just barely faster, and a stab brine, and that will take down most things. theoretically, of course. it is hard to kill something if you die first.

...boy, strategy makes the little people matter, don't it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)