The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Thankfully Leppa Berries are extremely easy to farm thanks to Poke Pelago (and the month transition glitch)

I think the most facepalm worthy moment I've had was when I restarted Pokemon Ruby so that I could play through the game at the same time as Pokemon Heartgold. It was for comparison purposes to see which game was harder (Ruby is in my opinion). At some point during my travels in Kanto I discovered the Pal Park. It was then I regretted restarting Ruby. Of course I knew that I'd lose all the Pokemon I caught in Ruby when I restarted it and I'd have to catch the legendaries again, but after finding the Pal Park I knew that I could've had 2 Groudons, 2 sets of the Regi trio, my original Ruby team (RIP mates), and that shiny Duskull I caught near Lilycove City. I have never been able to encounter another shiny Duskull again. I hope to find it again in Ruby one day.

So, I was playing Pokemon black the other day when my (Transferred) Lvl 70 Deoxys-A (Nicknamed Deribo) was fainted by a lvl 35 scraggy...

Deribo used Physic! It didn't affect foe scraggy.
Foe Scraggy used payback!
It's super effective!
Deribo Fainted!

I than preceded to blaze kick the little guy's face in with my blazekien.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, I was playing Pokemon black the other day when my (Transferred) Lvl 70 Deoxys-A (Nicknamed Deribo) was fainted by a lvl 35 scraggy...

Deribo used Physic! It didn't affect foe scraggy.
Foe Scraggy used payback!
It's super effective!
Deribo Fainted!

I than preceded to blaze kick the little guy's face in with my blazekien.
That's not much of a surprise, Deoxys Attack has very low defense stats plus is always has low HP.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
When I first saw Red, I thought he was some random fisherman at the edge of a mountain who had something to say...
I noticed the battle animations pop up and heard Lance's theme without realizing it was his and I was like "ooo a battle! This is going to be easy!"
I freaked out when I saw his level 88 Pikachu. I lost many times to Red as the only Pokemon I was actually using was a level 100 Lucario. I eventually won though. There was a time years later where I beat him with a legitimate team of level 61 Pokemon so truth be told, he's not too hard.

When I say Red's battle is overrated, it's because many people might not even know who on Earth Red is when they first face him... (but it's also because he doesn't use Pokemon like Mewtwo when he's considered a trainer who caught just about every Pokemon in Gen 1).

Last edited:
In Pokemon XY and Pokemon Moon, I caught the main legendaries (Xerneas, Yveltal, and Lunala) with a Master Ball, being an idiot that it isn't worth it to catch them with a ball that has a 100% catch rate because their catch rate is high enough to be caught in a Poke Ball.

Another stupid thing I have done is basically in Pokemon DP, there was that time when a Team Galactic member blocked the gate so I couldn't reach the second gym. I thought it was the end for me so I just decided to give up on the game because I thought it was The End, and I had no way to understand where to go. After sometime, I stumbled upon the honey area in the game, and I was like, "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK HOW DIDN'T I KNOW THIS, KMS".

When I first saw Red, I thought he was some random fisherman-like guy at the edge of a mountain who had something to say...
I noticed the battle animations pop up and heard Lance's theme without realizing it was his and I was like "ooo a battle! This is going to be easy!"
I freaked out when I saw his level 88 Pikachu. I lost many times to Red as the only Pokemon I was actually using was a level 100 Lucario. I eventually won though. There was a time years later where I beat him with a legitimate team of level 61 Pokemon so truth be told, he's not too hard.

When I say Red's battle is overrated, it's because many people might not even know who on Earth Red is when they first face him... (but it's also because he doesn't use Pokemon like Mewtwo when he's considered a trainer who caught just about every Pokemon in Gen 1).

Well his team type-wise is pretty well balanced, and he does carry a Lapras in HG/SS to take advantage of the hail, but the main challenge is his team's absurdly high level in a game that doesn't offer great places to grind. (and of course not expecting him. Few battles in Pokemon are necessarily hard if you know they're coming and prepare accordingly) They might have unintentionally made him a bit easier by giving his starters the elemental beams, though.

Thought I could get through Dark Cave in Crystal without Flash if I just hugged the walls in my little light circle. Didn't realize if you don't jump a ledge at just the right spot, you hit a dead end.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I shiny hunted for a shiny Rayquaza on Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Sapphire by soft resetting. It took a period of 7 months to get the shiny Rayquaza. Out of those 7 months, only about a month of it was actively soft resetting in both Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Emerald and then restarting Pokemon Sapphire just to do it again because I wanted to put it in an official playthrough team. About half of my soft resets were on Emerald. I constantly gave up during periods of time but then I continued. I gave up again but then eventually within days, weeks, or months, I continued. This process was repeated until I played through Pokemon Sapphire with an actual team and obtained my precious shiny Rayquaza.

I just found out today that Emerald's broken RNG actually prevents you from soft resetting in order to find shiny Pokemon unless it's the starter or you replay battle videos every soft reset in which you would have to get a new replay every few resets.

Never carrying enough Pokeballs in XY, because without pokeballs, I've: Encountered two shiny Murkrow in the same horde, found a shiny noibat, and found a shiny noibat.
Both that and resetting my game with both shiny Avalugg and shiny Lairon. Ever since then, I've always had pokeballs on me. Never once since those moments in 2013-2014, I've never found my own shiny.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
moon. postgame. going thru ultra beast sidequests. the next one is celesteela so i grab two abra with the natures sassy and jolly for a defensive set and an autotomize sweeper. i'm good to go! or am i?

celesteela takes absolutely forever to even find in the desert because of all the wild mons. none of my poke balls are working either so i decide to speed up the process by leveling up the abras so i can use a repel. i use the place near the battle tree and it takes around half an hour to level them up.

after this is done, i fly back and predictably encounter steela pretty quickly. after it kod my smeargle beast boost raised its attack. now for some reason here i thought i wanted timid, not jolly, so i reset the game. turns out i forgot to save after leveling up the abras.

so yeah basically i soft reset away what was probably the celesteela i wanted and lost a ton of progress forcing me to either grind the abras again or sit thru like a 10% encounter rate. i am not very happy right now.

Playing through Pokémon Blue for the first time when I was 7. I got my master ball and thought "hmmm, I wonder if I could take other trainers Pokémon", so I threw it at a trainers Farfetch'd.

Now, there are 3 horrible things I messed up here:

1) I should have known better and the game probably tells you at some point you can't.
2) I had been playing for over an hour without saving when I did it and I wasn't going to reset and lose all of my progress.
3) I threw it at a fucking Farfetch'd.

Playing through Pokémon Blue for the first time when I was 7. I got my master ball and thought "hmmm, I wonder if I could take other trainers Pokémon", so I threw it at a trainers Farfetch'd.

1) I should have known better and the game probably tells you at some point you can't.
2) I had been playing for over an hour without saving when I did it and I wasn't going to reset and lose all of my progress.
I've been there, I use the master ball to a jigglypuff because it was hard to catch. Anyway, GameFreak should make a proper tutorial on important stuff like the saving thing because younger kids who started playing video games know nothing about it. Heck they might find a shiny starter and they didn't know how to save!

I've been there, I use the master ball to a jigglypuff because it was hard to catch. Anyway, GameFreak should make a proper tutorial on important stuff like the saving thing because younger kids who started playing video games know nothing about it. Heck they might find a shiny starter and they didn't know how to save!
They do tutorials nowadays and it's irritating as fuck that you have no choice but to sit through them

I was facing Nascour in Pokemon Colosseum (which, by the way, is one of the toughest boss fights in the entire franchise). In Pokemon games I try not to use more Full Restores than the AI does and I don't use Revives, just to make things even. I struggle through it with Pokemon in the low/mid-40s but I'm left with Umbreon vs Dusclops and Shadow Metagross. My thoughts at the time:

"I probably can't take Dusclops AND Metagross at the same time; Metagross' firepower will be just to much for me to take. So what I'll do...I'll use up my Master Ball* on Metagross and try to 1v1 Dusclops with Umbreon. That sounds doable!" [*I didn't use the Colosseum Master Ball glitch so I could get a pure experience from the game.]

So I snag Metagross and leave it down to Umbreon v Dusclops...which then proceeds to Confuse Ray and Shadow Ball Umbreon to death. So I pretty much never lose an ingame Pokemon battle or waste a Master Ball and I managed to do both within two minutes. Fml.

Not my story, but a related Master Ball tale of woe. My sister's friend many years ago (like 2001 or 2002) told me once that she threw her Master Ball to catch a Muk (I think maybe in Pokemon Yellow, but i don't remember anymore). It's been so long that I don't remember her reasoning, but I think it was just because she liked Muk and didn't realize it was the only Master Ball. She also gave me my first bunch of pokemon cards and some N64 games - she was pretty cool, but I have no idea what happened to her.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My Master Ball story: Some point after getting the Master Ball I found an item on the ground. Tried to pick it up, but came to a little annoying thing about the first few Pokemon gens: limited inventory. I had too many items and all the items I had was potions, Poke Balls (including the Master Ball) and TMs. Well, I was in a middle of the route, there wasn't any Pokemon I wanted to teach the TMs to, for some reason wanted that item now, and the only item I had one of that wasn't a TM was the Master Ball. So my kid mind did the only logical thing it could think of at the time: went into the grass, got into a wild battle (it was a Fearow I recall), and used the Master Ball on it. Now with a free space I got the item, don't remember what it was so probably not important, and went on my way.

EDIT: BTW this was Gen I, Blue version.

Last edited:
Not my story, but a related Master Ball tale of woe. My sister's friend many years ago (like 2001 or 2002) told me once that she threw her Master Ball to catch a Muk (I think maybe in Pokemon Yellow, but i don't remember anymore). It's been so long that I don't remember her reasoning, but I think it was just because she liked Muk and didn't realize it was the only Master Ball. She also gave me my first bunch of pokemon cards and some N64 games - she was pretty cool, but I have no idea what happened to her.
As seen by how life can screw people over, hopefully nothing bad happened to her.

From when I had FireRed as a kid:

I threw a Master Ball at Zapdos... way before I discovered the legendary dogs were in the game...

...and the Roar glitch being a thing...

...and I didn't know about roaming Pokemon...

Look. I was a dumb kid, okay?
I still have a physical moveset modest 31 IV shiny Exeggutor in SS when I was younger, you're not the only one

Funny thing is, actually doesn't, at least not explicitly. The game just sort of expects everybody to be serious about their principles lol. You're not told you can't catch other trainers' pokemon ( AKA steal ) until you try to which is kind of controversial in its own way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)