The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

updating my own thread in the hopes that you guys may one day return :)

Good win for Bisping. Well earned. Silva gave it away in the 4th

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
yea man i couldnt beleive that. he couldve put him away in that first minute wi ease. guess that adrenaline dump of thinking he won really took him out of it

Should've been stopped at the end of the 3rd honestly. If Bisping had been knocked out cold in the 4th people would want Herb Dean's head on a stake.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Silva just fought like Silva always did. Except he's 40 now.

Really needs to be changed to whole fight scoring now.

I actually like the McGregor upset, though mostly because Nate Diaz won, always like Nate (not so much Nick). TBH McGregor certainly looked as if he would do well based off R1, and honestly it really won't derail the hype much, he came in to fight at 2 weight classes above what was originally supposed to be a LW match (so that's a 25 pound difference over 10) just because Nate couldn't shrink himself down 10 pounds to his more natural weight class, so Nate really had the advantage overall. McGregor is still gonna get the fight against Dos Anjos (whether he'll be much of a match against him is more questionable now), and he'll keep the hype at 145 since there's still plenty of matches to be made for him there; if anything he'll probably get more credit for fighting at WW and helping to keep the card alive and showing that if he does capture the LW belt as well somehow, a few more matches at WW could probably nab him a title shot there too. All big ifs, but you never know when $$$ is involved.

Which is more than you can say for poor Holm, UFC brass is probably in complete chaos with the result of that; Rousey/Tate 3?4? isn't a compelling sell despite the fact Tate is much more likable, and while Rousey/Holm 2 would still do some decent bucks, it's not nearly as marketable sans the belt; if anything they're probably shamefully hoping that Tate suffers some random injury so they can promote a potential Rousey/Holm rematch as an interim title fight instead.

I disagree with your analysis on Diaz/Mcgregor outcome

Here's my take:

-McGregor hand picked Diaz to fight. He could of had Edgar, Pettis, or Nurmagomedov who all accepted before Diaz was chosen at 155 and he picked the guy on 11 day notice with NO camp, and NO sparring.

-Yes the fight was at 170 but these guys are both Lightweights in this fight. McGregor had to eat to come up to 170 and he himself picked 170 in order to make an example of Diaz to set himself up for future 170 bouts. He actually believed he was going to kill Dos Anjos and then Lawlor after.. He's 5ft 8 he's not a legit WW just a normal sized (if not short) LW. Real WW fighters weight 185+ and some near 200 lbs in the cage. He used the excuse that Diaz was the bigger man which shouldn't matter when their fight weight was even and both were under 170. The big difference was that Diaz is one of the most durable fighters and unlike every little guy McGregor KO'd he can eat his punches all day. McGregor actually looked very limited in this fight.

-McGregor quit once Diaz showed him adversity. The first round was actually pretty close and Diaz tooled McGregor in the second once he realized McGregor was not going to be able to keep up with the pace. In the post fight presser McGregor said he panicked when Diaz starting landing hard shots on him. This fight IMO dropped McGregor's stock significantly and showed that (Nate) Diaz is in fact one of the best fighters in the world at any given night.

For those that haven't seen the fight here you go: https://www.facebook.com/1541075096222486/videos/1541339046196091/

McGregor is not fighting Dos Anjos any time soon. He himself knows he's not worthy right now. He's been kind of exposed now and I'm certain Dos Anjos would destroy him. Next is Aldo rematch or Edgar, but his next fight will be at 145 hopefully at UFC 200. While this fight was at 170 the truth is he got smoked by a no camp 155er. I think McGregor struggled fighting a little heavier than normal, put way too much weight into his punches, and couldn't handle the adversity once Nate put it on him. He didn't look elusive or indomitable like he has in all of his other UFC fights and got slapped at least 5 times (lol). If he is going to stay among elites in the UFC he will have to do more than just rely on his left hand. And if his grappling is really this shaky then he's already peaked and will burn out quickly because every top fighter will look to take him down and he hasn't shown the skill or athleticism to be able to keep it standing.

Shiv

I agree the way Silva fought is the same way Silva always fought. Only thing I noticed was he didn't kick much. Bisping's been vulnerable to kicks before and I was surprised Silva didn't do more with his kicks.

As far as the fight goes, Bisping won. Plain and simple.

If you watch rounds 1-4 Bisping is easily up 3-1. No way for Silva to come back barring a KO in round 5.

Silva fucked himself at the end of round 3. If he just ran back to his corner and allowed 1 min. to pass Bisping would not have been able to answer the bell and a just TKO win would have been announced. Instead he tried to coax Herb to stop the fight by pretending that he won by KO and being literally the only person to celebrate for like 2 minutes giving Bisping all the time in the world to recover. The way the rules work is, once the octagon is Secured (cleared), both fighters have x amount of time to answer the bell. Because Silva was celebrating and had 50 people in the cage during the whole thing, the octagon wasn't secured for over 2 minutes in between rounds 3-4. And even after that, Silva spent another two minutes circling Bisping instead of going for the kill. I'm Silva's biggest fan but he lost that fight.

Shinryu

Holm showed some terrible ground skills. This just means Ronda can swoop back in, destroy Tate, and build the confidence and momentum to defeat Holm in the rematch if it ever happens. This worked out great for Rousey but makes the sport look bad when we have champions who aren't even well rounded.

By the way a parlay of Tate winning by Sub and Diaz winning by Sub would have made you some big bucks. Both very possible events with huge odds against them.

^Do you see how old this thread is? I've been following the sport since i was 13 or 14.. am 25 now. Been a fan for a long time as have many of the guys that posted here and most have trained one martial art or another.

Not sure this likely faux retirement from McGregor is going to win him any fans. Bad enough doing a rematch with Nate Diaz, but now pulling out like a bitch just because he didn't want to do promos? Yeah...ok...

Kind of a shame they can't assemble a decent card for 200, 100 of course was a classic with great fights in just about every one. This one? Looking pretty crappy arm, a snoozer between Aldo and Edgar for interim (now legit?) FW title was bad enough, just because they couldn't plug their cash cows Rousey and McGregor in now. If GSP wants to make a "convenient" return, that would save the card thought lmao.

Twisted Kneebar - same name just don't post much as only a couple of us seem interested in this thread any more

We'll see what happens hopefully they can piece together a good card for 200. MMA has the green light in NY now should be a show before end of the year there as well

I had gotten you confused with another old user named Fatal Edge whom I recognized from the old Shoddy days because of your avatar and older join date. I'm sure what also contributed to this confusion was the fact that your name was probably familiar in the back of my head since I used to post in this thread a lot.

OSP too tentative man. Whenever he actually tried stuff he didn't have a hard time touching Jones.

And yeah Jones is the dirtiest high level MMA fighter I've seen. He even celebrated when he found out he broke OSP's arm. WTF? Kudos to OSP for fighting full five rounds I think his arm was broken in the second. Hope DC KTFOs Jones

And LOL at Pettis getting schooled by Barboza.

Yeah next time Jones should make sure he is not hurting his opponent. How dare he to kick his opponents in the knee? Because regular low kicks don't hurt the leg and knee at all. Next time he should play nice and only kick them in the head until they are concussed, that seems to be the acceptable alternative. Just recently some mma fighter died after getting kod in the ring, only one of many examples, but kicks to the knee is just too much.

Fucking hilarious how Jones gets called dirty even when he doesn't break a single rule, but people like Chad Mendes get to blatantly try to open cuts with their fingers and nobody gives them shit.

http://gfycat.com/FastLegitimateKingbird

Jones definitely the dirtiest because he has a handful of unintentional, mild eye pokes that have caused no serious harm in his fights, even if he hasn't done that in two years. Gotta hate the GOAT.

Yeah next time Jones should make sure he is not hurting his opponent. How dare he to kick his opponents in the knee? Because regular low kicks don't hurt the leg and knee at all. Next time he should play nice and only kick them in the head until they are concussed, that seems to be the acceptable alternative. Just recently some mma fighter died after getting kod in the ring, only one of many examples, but kicks to the knee is just too much.

Fucking hilarious how Jones gets called dirty even when he doesn't break a single rule, but people like Chad Mendes get to blatantly try to open cuts with their fingers and nobody gives them shit.

http://gfycat.com/FastLegitimateKingbird

Jones definitely the dirtiest because he has a handful of unintentional, mild eye pokes that have caused no serious harm in his fights, even if he hasn't done that in two years. Gotta hate the GOAT.
Fantastic strawmen, I look forward to your future posts.

Last edited:
"People who think Jones' legal kicks, that are significantly less health threatening than strikes to the head and chokes in general, are dirty are gay as hell"

Is that more fit for your high quality posting levels? Do I need to elaborate more on how stupid is to call a regular strike "gay"?

Hmu when you make a serious post with real content. Hard to pull a strawman when I have to reply to a post that seems more fit for YouTube comments

My man, I've been discussing MMA on the internet for over a decade, I'm past the multi page arguments, and don't put any effort into my posting anymore. If you don't like my opinion, that's OK, I was just saying deaths in MMA are a completely irrelevant strawman. All I have to say to you is ask people who train what they think about those kicks. Tell me what they think about it. Just because someones knee wasn't blown out in a single fight by it, doesn't mean it doesn't do damage.

And if you still feel the way you do after taking some of those kicks and asking around for opinions, you can state it here but don't waste your time writing a paragraph expecting a response. I can tell you're not easily persuaded and I've already made up my mind on the subject, so theres no point.

The knee strikes are sadly legal. It's his opponents' fault tbh for not adjusting. OSP just stood there. You have to either have weight off your front leg or keep moving. Also have to be quick enough to throw kicks of your own or to get inside when he gives you the chance.

The problem is Jones is so long the knee kicks and oblique kicks are pretty safe for him with little to no time for the opponent to react.

Show me these 'many examples' of mma fighters dying in the ring. I know some Brazilian guy did recently against a McGregor teammate. But I'll wait patiently for the many examples you know of. Hikari

Jones is the LHW GOAT already. He's not the MMA GOAT at least not yet

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i couldn't believe mcgregor diaz 2 would be pulled by white just because of the £££ it would bring in, but jones cormier 2 is probably a bigger fight (and definitely going to be a better one) so i'm pretty pumped about that ufc 200 announcement

If White was smart he would've kept McGregor/Diaz 2 on the card while adding Jones/Cormier 2 as well and making both co-main events for maximum profits and either dump Aldo/Edgar 2 to another card or keeping it but not as a co-main event. Either that or swap out Edgar for McGregor/Aldo 2 and let Diaz take another fight somewhere else. Then that's 3 championship fights (including the women's BW) and some decent undercard action going that route.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)