The Genius / Society Game

Man, in this show, I'm always waiting for some of the more passive people like Yoensung or Jungmoon to grab the show by the balls and take control of the game but it never really happens (we got a little bit from Yoensung though i guess). This show really seemed to give Jungmoon a lot of crap too, starting from 2 episodes ago when when everyone shit on her for betraying everyone when the other two rebels were in jail and she would be exposed if she took any action. This kind of kept on as a theme, really painting her as this big snake in the grass, making ridiculous and desperate decisions but being clumsy about it. But the truth is, I wouldn't say she had any decisions to make in most of the tight spots she was in. The problem was she never played enough of an assertive social game, or planned out enough game strategy to take information control over how to win, so that she could avoid situations like that in the first place. This was true for both seasons she was in, and most episodes in those seasons. Going with the flow wasn't a problem most of the time, but after she got punished for it a couple times, she still never learned. Still, that's not a death match loss I'd wish on anyone. Perfect play on both sides, it was literally a 50-50 coin flip, and the only time people actually played Same Picture Hunt competently.

This game seemed fun in theory but the fact that the betting state is perfect information on what cards can win in what situations really killed it for me. My least favorite main matches are always the ones that are like "Let's throw away the entire game and rig it instead". I love my Survivor type social dynamics, but what really sets this show apart is the combination with the game theory.

Catherine Walker

Banned deucer.
hm just watched the first episode and it was pretty engaging to watch, liked the concept behind the show and the idea of plots/betrayal.

LOL i really started to support kyunghoon after being really pissed at him from e1-e3, but his really strange irrational way of playing in e7-e9 is annoying af. He luckily wasn't picked for DM in 8th since kyungran actually believed it was -10, he beat Jungmoon (although i preferred Jungmoon gone) with the help of some luck in Same Picture Hunt, and now in Quattro he so happened to have all the 6s which gave him a very simple to form strategy. He also now has the most garnets by FAR in an upcoming garnet match. Not only that, but everyone eliminated seem to show support to him so if he goes to finals, he has a huge item advantage. I just hope he doesn't win so I don't feel the season was decided from e3.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Dongmin and Jinho played the best in the last 3 mainmatches, but because there is still Twelve Janggi and Poker in the deathmatches and Kyunghoon has the most garnets so I won't be surprised if Kyunghoon + Hyunmin go to the finals. Kyunghoon just keeps surprising me; he played bad in the Minus Auction, he made weird plays in the previous episode, but because of his advantages in the SPH and Quattro, he's still there with the most garnets right before a Garnet Match. I don't have a favorite to win, but I have a least favorite to win and that is Kyunghoon, just because he showed the least individual skill with the lack of creative solutions and nice strategies.
Many MM in this season were based of alliances / working together (Seed Poker, Garnet Thief, Horror Race) and Kyunghoon is nice in alliance based games due to its unpredictability. Kinda disappointing though, I like the main matches of season 1 -3 way more than this season with games like 5:5, 7 commandments, open pass, monopoly game (the result sucked but the game itself was great) and chain auction because they show both individual skill (5:5, open pass) and cooperational skills (auction games, jury game) For the matches in the final, I'm hoping for Truth Detector, Same Number Hunt and Black and White / Memory Maze / Laser Chess.

1.Kyunghoon 2.Jinho 3.Hyunmin 4.Dongmin. Also junseok played really badly compared to kyunghoon in the DM.

Last edited:
where is everyone watching this? RODAN's link has videos that don't work for me, what other sources have the other seasons?? Just finished season 1 and I want to continue watching this.

SketchUp

Awesome main match. I loved the minigames because you could play big mindgames if you won the minigames. Dongmin and Hyunmin played really well in my opinion and it all came down to the last minigame where HM could pick the last card and win the game. My predictions for E11:
Kyunghoon - Even though he is too much portrayed like a god for me, he shows the most confidence in the deathmatches. Even if he faces off against Hyunmin in the Deathmatch of E11 (which is Twelve Jangii), I think he will be able to win it. Even though I disliked Kyunghoon a lot, I think he has the biggest chance going to the final.
Dongmin - He possesses the ability to create a strategy early in the game to win in individual games (like Jinho can) and he possesses the ability to create alliances and win (or get someone else to win) main matches. His biggest chalange is coming next game if he goes to the deatmatch because both Kyunghoon and Hyunmin are able to beat him in Twelve Janggi. Although in a deathmatch against Kyunghoon I'd give him the upperhand.
Hyunmin - He played well this match but the last time he showed what he is capable of doing was in the Minus Auction (where he actually played with Jinho's strategy) I think he is in the biggest danger of the deathmatch for E11 and even though he has experience in Twelve Janggi, both Dongmin and Kyunghoon can beat him. Still hoping for a Dongmin-Hyunmin final but I predict E11 will be the end of Hyunmin.

I thought Jinho played a really good social game this season at least. There were a lot of ridiculously prominent players who would make waves by betraying people, doing stupid shit, stealing games and winning death matches, and being rather flamboyant social characters, so Jinho was able to effectively fly under the radar. But each game he was active in picking a few reliable people to work with, making few mistakes in the games, and reminding other contestants he's not an idiot when they try to fuck with him. He got thrown into a death match by events that were ultimately out of his control, but props to Hyunmin and his partner for having the balls to go in against what was essentially a very risky, suicidal move.

The death match itself was good game though, lots of tension there. I'm just sad that as Jinho left he criticized his own gameplay of trying to survive, when I think he made the right call pretty much every time.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
even though he has experience in Twelve Janggi, both Dongmin and Kyunghoon can beat him
Hyunmin has 3 dan in Go. This is a very impressive feat, and the level of strategical thinking surely carries over. While he made some non-perfect moves earlier (he missed a winning move twice in a row) it was forgivable because he did those moves while capturing pieces on the opposing side of the board.

I don't see Hyunmin losing at all to anyone in Twelve Janggi unless they're also similarly experienced in Go/Chess etc., and predict that even if he falls to the death match, he will whoop his opponent there.

Finals of Genius Season 4 (not the result, just the pairing)
Dongmin vs Kyunghoon
Game 1: Number Janggi
Game 2: Mystery Sign
Game 3: Betting Black and White

What do you think about the items, and who will give it to who, also the 3rd game seems like a p strange choice.

SketchUp

Awesome deathmatch, didn't like the main match that much but it was ok

Junghyun - He'll probably give it to Dongmin but it's hard to judge because he was eliminated E1. But judging on his plays in S2 he really dislikes betrayal (same reason why he picked Junseok as DM opponent in E1.)
Yohwan - Also hard to judge but based of the fact that he was against Dongmins alliance in the first two episodes he will probably go for Kyunghoon.
Sangmin - could pick both sides really but leaning towards Kyunghoon
Yoonsun - Kyunghoon
Yoohyun - Didn't really work with Dongmin in both S3 and S4 so Kyunghoon I guess
Yeonseung - Same with Yoohyun, however he might pick Dongmin if he already knew from the Garnet Thief betrayal from Kyunghoon when the finals were being filmed (he didn't know until the episode was aired)
Jungmoon - Dongmin helped her in Loyalists and Rebels by not picking her as Rebel and worked with her in Seed Poker and Garnet Thief. Still can go both ways
Kyungran and Jinho are obvious on Dongmins side
Junseok wanted Kyunghoon to go far so this one is pretty obvious
Hyunmin's alliance with Dongmin fell away and he was much more close with Kyunghoon in the last few episodes.

Kyunghoon 6 / 7 items
Dongmin 4 / 5 items

All in all, an enjoyable All-stars season.

It was kind of ambiguous this whole time whether the season's title "Grand Final" had any real meaning, so I'm curious, does anyone definitively know if we can expect another season?

SketchUp

All in all, an enjoyable All-stars season.

It was kind of ambiguous this whole time whether the season's title "Grand Final" had any real meaning, so I'm curious, does anyone definitively know if we can expect another season?
I read somewhere the current producer is leaving after this season but it is possible that there will be a new season with a new producer (maybe a new setup?). The ratings were good this season so it won't be too big of a surprise.
Would be cool to see Park Jiyoon (from Crime Scene) and Kyunghun (Hyunmin's helper in E10) if there will be a S5

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just want to say thank you for letting us know about this show. I've now watched all 4 seasons and have to say it's absolutely amazing. The characters that developed and narratives that formed really took the games to another level. Add to that all the amazing plays that happen throughout the seasons and I have to say I haven't enjoyed watching anything as much as this in a long time.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

BANGSHIPOP

I am INCREDIBLY hype and if Bumdi doesn't sub the rest I will be sad. Hearing Bangarang when Sangmin entered gave me the biggest energy boost.
(new kid sucks though)

edit: WE MIGHT GET DONGMIN VS. DEALER HONG

Last edited:

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For those of you who wonder what it would be like to play in The Genius, I am taking signups for a forum version of The Genius in circus maximus here.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This sounds rather interresting. I will defo watch when I find the time.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Okay, it's been very quiet around these parts. So what's the deal with The Genius UK you might be wondering? Well, this is the closest thing we have to an update...

Possessed, an ITV Studios production company set up by Glenn Hugill, is the company with the format rights to The Genius. They're the ones that made the pitch video last November. Recently the Head of Production at Possessed was replaced by Gail Pinkerton, formerly of Optomen Television. This change in personnel could have caused a delay in the development of The Genius UK.

Pinkerton's appointment as Possessed's Head of Production was announced yesterday and confirmed by company director Glenn Hugill who went on to say:

“It is a measure of the extraordinary growth in the company that we should already need a Head of Production with Gail’s unrivalled experience and reputation. She’s going to be very busy, as we have a big announcement coming up, you’ll hear all about that very soon.”

Now, what could that "big announcement" be? Could it be The Genius UK? Maybe we're just getting our hopes up but we know that Possessed have been working hard pitching the format to various broadcasters since late last year, could it finally have been picked up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)