The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Seeing as the draft has begun, thought I might as well fire up the thread for the upcoming season.

Thoughts on the first round?

I was surprised that Bortles went 19 picks higher than the next taken QB. Almost as surprised that the Raiders actually made an awesome pick in Mack and weren't tempted to grab one of said QB's.

As a Ravens fan, I'm not the biggest fan of the CJ Mosley pick - ILB is one of our stronger positions on our team and he has a history of injuries. Comments by DeCosta after the draft suggested that he was our BPA even at pick 10 though, so Ozzie and the like must be very high on him. I'd take their opinion over mine, so I'm starting to slowly warm up to it!

I was in class when the draft started and my roommate texted me saying the Raiders picked Manziel. I was in "GODDAMMIT WHYYY" mode for a good ten seconds before I refused to believe him and called him out on it. Hopefully Mack turns out to be solid; it's a way safer pick than any of the QBs so I'm not mad. Clowney was gonna be gone regardless so I was hoping for Mack or Watkins personally.

Lol @ Lions getting another potent receiver despite not having a secondary...

Mosley was a solid pick - would rather have had Clinton-Dix - but this gives us an elite LB corp once again. Ozzie putting the emphasis on D. And the Saints addressed a rare WR deficit by grabbing Cooks, who could be an impact player early on. Vagiants stole the hometown kid Beckham Jr. (they seem to have an obsession with LSU receivers), but I'm satisfied all the same.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Mosley was a solid pick - would rather have had Clinton-Dix - but this gives us an elite LB corp once again. Ozzie putting the emphasis on D. And the Saints addressed a rare WR deficit by grabbing Cooks, who could be an impact player early on. Vagiants stole the hometown kid Beckham Jr. (they seem to have an obsession with LSU receivers), but I'm satisfied all the same.
I was screaming for Clinton-Dix after the pick, but apparently this safety class was nowhere near as highly rated by GMs as it was by the media.

Cooks is going to be a super solid pick. He's gonna have a real shot at OROY in that Saints offense

The Jaguars are just destined to suck forever. Leftwich, Gabbert and now Bortles. So bad.

Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with the Panthers' first round pick. A WR with the same size as Calvin Johnson simply cannot be taught. If he can put in some hard work he could easily be the steal of the draft.

I also would like to take a moment to lol at the Bills for trading up to get Watkins. Don't even try to justify it DM.

I actually loved the Vikings first round for the first time in a while, as I liked Bridgewater the most of any QB prospect coming into the draft. Love the fact that they get the option for the 5th year if he pans out well. Huge sigh of relief that the Vikings didn't fall into the Manziel trap, but best of luck to the Browns. I feel bad for DM too because I feel like the Bills gave up too much for Watkins and they could be in trouble... that trade was a huge boon for Cleveland.

Everyone on my feed is going nuts dissing Browns for drafting Manziel. I love Hoyer, but if he is injured enough or doubted enough, your worst case now should be having 1/2 QBs working out. With the D already working, why not?

The Saints and Bucs drafting WRs was fucking insane. Bucs have WRs, what they lack is a QB (suddenly) and very probably good offensive schemes/coaching. One of those WRs better actually end up somewhere between Jerry Rice & Calvin Johnson, or those were the worst 2 picks of the draft.

Not to mention Johnny sells tickets by himself.

I think Cooks is a good fit for the Saints/for Brees in particular. the price might have been a little too steep, but the Saints can't let Jimmy Graham get doubled teamed every play and still expect to be successful. There's a big void where Sproles left, regardless of his decline in production, and Brees needs a guy who can catch the short easy passes from now until he can retire. Evans I felt a little less sure about, regardless of what Lovie Smith is saying about Glennon I feel like they could easily go QB on day 2. Between Martin, Jackson, and Evans, they'll be alright on offense until they get a franchise QB, and between that franchise QB and Martin/Evans they'll be pretty set for years to come. If they weren't sold on Manziel/Bridgewater at #7 (which they really shouldn't be) then passing on them was fine.

Yeah, man...... The Bucs were totally set at WR before the Evans pick. I mean, they had Louis freakin' Murphy starting across from V-Jax... what a stud..........

I do wonder if Lovie Smith exalting Glennon as the "QB of the future" was an attempt to, if nothing else, spark a competition between Glennon and McCown, the latter of whom I feel has an upper hand in the starting QB race just based off of what he did in Chicago while Cutler was injured alone.

Last edited:
When you have Vincent Jackson, you have better things to draft R1 than a WR, get one in R2 or R3 or R4 or any round but 1. IDK what the problem is with Mike Williams, if he is just temporarily injured or something then they already have a great WR2.

The problem with Williams is that he's a Bill, so there's that...

But absolutely WR was a draft need for the Bucs going in. Williams was a decent WR2, if for nothing else, to act as a decoy to keep V-Jax from getting doubled, but they desperately needed at least one more talented WR, and perhaps some depth at this point. Other than that, they could use some o-line help, and obviously a long-term franchise QB (still don't feel Glennon is the guy, but the Bucs feel they have to give him another shot, and I also don't feel there are many potential franchise QBs in this class), and of course their D is already solid despite losing Revis.

Say what you will about cannabis and whether or not it should be legalized in all states, the fact remains, Gordon violated the league's policy. Again. What a fucking idiot. You're getting paid millions and are on the verge of becoming the league's next elite receiver, and you can't even control your urge to blaze it. Priorities, people.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I also would like to take a moment to lol at the Bills for trading up to get Watkins. Don't even try to justify it DM.
I won't even try. I am super excited to have the player, but incredibly disturbed by what we gave up to get him. Couple that with the Stevie trade today and our WR corps just got YOUNG.

If EJ falls flat on his face this season, we have no 1st next year to get a top QB. I love the gutsiness of the move, but man, we really are all-in on the playoffs this season.

Not really getting why the Niners bothered with picking another RB, we got enough as it is...unless they're just planning on going the whole committee approach when Gore retires between Kendall/Lattimore/new guy unless ones pulls away to become the feature, but still, why not address an actual position of need first...

Last edited:
I can't get behind any receiver shorter than 6'1. So good job Panthers.

And if the Biogenesis of America clinic can get him Blaketoisinite...

Lions pick was a bit odd, but just look at that offense. Broncos North, anyone?
You do realize the Broncos offense ran through Peyton Manning right? Peyton could drop 4000/35/12 with ANY team at worst no matter the talent level. I seriously doubt Stafford could drop 55 TDs... Though that was 2013, i doubt Peyton breaks 46 this year. Still haven't decided which qb is going to dominate in 2014.

I won't even try. I am super excited to have the player, but incredibly disturbed by what we gave up to get him. Couple that with the Stevie trade today and our WR corps just got YOUNG.

If EJ falls flat on his face this season, we have no 1st next year to get a top QB. I love the gutsiness of the move, but man, we really are all-in on the playoffs this season.

I don't know why you see that as a good outcome... You reach the playoffs(by miracle), get blown out, then don't get to pick until late the 2nd round and go back to sucking for the next decade.

Panthers getting Kelvin Benjamin, oh yes. I have a good feeling about this guy, even if he only had a year of college experience.

I think the Patriots are having a terrible draft. They should be in Win Now mode competing with the Broncos and getting weapons for Brady. They passed on guys like Marques Lee, Sefarian-Jenkins, Jace Amaro, etc for a DT with 2 ACL tears and a project QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)