Gen 1 That's a wrap, folks!

I used to play Gen 1 on PO years ago, and now that RBY is coming to the 3DS eShop I decided to get back into practice so I can train a team on there. Upon coming back one of the first things I noticed is that Wrap is no longer banned, so I wanted to make it a major part of my team. I've been practicing for about two weeks, and I've been winning most of my games on Showdown so I thought I'd see if the people here have any suggestions for me. On to the team itself:

Jolteon
-Thunderbolt
-Pin Missile
-Double Kick
-Thunder Wave

I had a lot of trouble deciding who to choose as my lead. I didn't want to go with Jynx or Exeggcutor because neither one is really a good answer to opposing lead Jynx. I could've gone with Alakazam, but I don't like how he can't do much against other psychics (aka Jynx/Exeggutor). I didn't want to go with Gengar either since he has a psychic weakness. I ended up choosing Jolteon because he can outspeed (and threaten to paralyze) Alakazam (leading most people who lead with him to switch out) and he can do decent damage to Jynx/Gengar/Exeggutor with Thunderbolt/Pin Missile.

Dragonite
-Wrap
-Hyper Beam
-Surf
-Agility

The main thing I built the rest of the team around. I chose to go with Surf over an ice move because it always OHKOs Rhydon & Golem, who would otherwise take way too many Wraps to deal with. I usually only try to bring Dragonite in against sleeping/frozen pokemon, or pokemon that I know can't OHKO him without a critical such as the rock types. Whenever I'm using Wrap I always have a damage calculator open so I know when Hyper Beam or Surf is a guaranteed KO.

Tauros
-Body Slam
-Hyper Beam
-Surf
-Blizzard

I wanted to make sure I had a solid physical attacker that wasn't Dragonite, and who better than Tauros? After some testing I made the decision to go with Surf over Earthquake because Surf hits the rock types much harder than Earthquake does. I do lose the ability to be supereffective against Jolteon and Gengar, but most people are scared to bring those in since they assume that I do use Earthquake.

Exeggutor
-Psychic
-Egg Bomb
-Explosion
-Sleep Powder

I made sure this team had a sleeper on it to make things easier to set up Dragonite. Exeggutor also gives my team a way of inflicting psychic damage, and he's a good pokemon to switch into rock, normal, and psychic types with. I frequently have him take a thunder wave so that I can use him to block sleep moves later on.

Lapras
-Blizzard
-Thunderbolt
-Body Slam
-Confuse Ray

Lapras gives the rest of my team a much needed switch-in into water and ice attacks. I mainly included confuse ray as a way to make paralyzed opponents even harder to attack with, but I rarely use it so I've been considering switching it out for Surf, Psychic, or Rest. Lapras also gives me a way to use electric moves if something happens to my lead.

Chansey
-Blizzard
-Seismic Toss
-Counter
-Softboiled

Chansey just might be the best pokemon on my team IMO. With this set I can counter almost any special attacker, as well threaten to freeze them. Normal types either get OHKO'd by Counter, or use a weaker move to avoid it. I almost always have Chansey alive at the end of a fight. If Blizzard gets a freeze, and they decide to let their pokemon die to Chansey rather than switch, I can heal with Softboiled, then switch to Dragonite for a free Agility and then start Wrapping.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There are a couple of things that I'd consider a no-go on this team. First of all the Tauros and Chansey sets are really suboptimal. Trying to re-invent the wheel won't really get you far in this tier.

On Tauros Surf + Blizzard is ridiculously redundant, you don't use Eathquake to primarily hit the rocks with it, you use it to not be walled by Gengar and to have a way to play around Counter from several users. Hitting Jolteon is a nice little extra that you can forego, the other reasons are, in my opinion, too good to leave out on. Surf also doesn't even guarantee a kill on the rocks, wheras Blizzard is also a 2hko that also hits Zapdos and occasionally you use it to do more damage on Exeggutor or fish for a freeze if you have to. If anything you drop Blizzard for something else but you do need a very solid reason to do so. Even then alternatives like Substitute or Thunder have better niches, sticking to the standard set is pretty much always better though.

Chansey feels super weird too, the slight extra damage from Blizzard doesn't really warrant using it instead of ice beam, you don't hit any relevant things and the extra pp of ice beam gives you more opportunities to freeze things and keep lots of threats at bay. I am not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish with that set anyways, stoss and counter are fine moves and all, they aren't really what you want to be doing on that team though.

You said you want to focus the team around wrap, let's think about how to make that as effective as possible. Dragonite needs a turn to set up wrap unpunished, it folds to Starmie and struggles to get past things like the rocks, lapras, zapdos, eggy, chansey, etc. You want to spread Paralysis on these things as effectively as possible. Your chansey definitely needs a way to beat or cripple Starmie, seismic toss won't get the job done. Twave or twave + tbolt does make it possible and further supports your wrap plan.

some smaller things: I'd say using a paralysis lead is the way to go on a team with wrap, Jolteon is a fine one, probably not my first choice but it gets the job done. Consider using something else instead of egg bomb on exeggutor, stun spore could further support your wrap plan and you don't desperately need to hit jynx when you got a Lapras anyways. Speaking of, maybe try out sing on lapras to neuter chansey, otherwise it blocks you all day and you have to risk a switch in into tauros or sth to force it out.

General advice: don't rely on "most people don't switch into tauros with gengar" kind of arguments, scenarios will come up and dropping proven movesets really needs solid arguments going for them, don't do it for arbitrary reasons like an extra 30 or so percent on the rocks when you got enogh ways of keeping it out anyways. In the lead matchup every mon has some weak matchup, make sure to have a plan what to do when you face an unfavorable lead. Mons aren't bad because they are weak to things as long as you keep in mind that you have a counterplay to those things.

Good Luck!

What Beds said is on the money, especially when it comes to non-standard sets.

Anyway, your team desperately needs more paralysis support. Lapras needs it to be effective, Dnite needs it help provide setup opportunities. Definitely Stun Spore on Egg and TWave on Chansey are good ideas.

Another thing is that your team lacks a means of dealing with Thunder Wave, particularly from opposing Chansey. I'd recommend standard 4 attacks Lax>Lapras. It switches into Chansey comfortably and weakens physical walls nicely for Tauros/Dnite. Also it's pretty good at luring in sleeping/frozen pokemon as fodder.

On to Chansey. Softboiled is obvious, TWave is mandatory for this team, otherwise I think there's a fair bit of flexibility... or is there? One thing to note is that if you swap Lax>Lap you'll need Chansey to deal with Jynx, and either way you'll need it to handle electrics. To me the Jynx problem means you can't afford to go mono-Ice which means running Tbolt or SToss. By the sounds of things you like playing for the freeze which is fine, that means the set looks something like SB/TWave/IB and then either Tbolt or SToss. Personally, I think SToss is redundant with another attack, which means BoltBeam is the go. If that doesn't appeal, another good option here is to run Reflect/SToss on Chansey, which loses the ability to freeze but is much more effective against opposing physical attackers

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Surf is a tradeback move for Tauros anyway so it's illegal in rby proper.

Standard "wrap" team is victreebel/dnite/cloyster/tauros/alakazam/snorlax or something to that effect. Rhydon and Chansey commonly make appearances too. First three mons are key. I know Dre used a team abusing paralysis & using wrap to get free switches to rhydon/snorlax (an idea for wrap abuse championed by nitro as opposed to going for the simple minded sweep) with decent success (and wouldn't shut up about it lol).

Tangela is an alternative to victreebel if you feel the latter is too high risk. Moltres is an agiwrapper that trades accuracy for hitting Gengar (Rapidash too, tho it needs more fire spins to get things in KO range). SD wrappers, most notably Tentacruel but also lickitung and pinsir, can be solid alternatives to dnite, abusing paralysis to get a high damage rate with boosted wraps, thus being much harder to pp stall. And there's also Gengar to consider if you want to avoid a 50-50 against opposing wrap teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)