Other Thanks for the Memories: A Zard X Flying Monotype team

DoW

formally Death on Wings
So as I'm sure many of you are aware, as part of a recent overhaul we recently banned Charizardite X from Monotype. As such, I'm finally retiring the team that I've used ever since the Talonflame Ban way back in May 2014!
(No, I'm not quitting or anything. But the team's taken me a long way and so have loads of people, some of whom have since left. I thought the song was appropriate.)

Teambuilding Process:
I started making this team a long time ago, and the metagame was very different. To put it into perspective, OU was suspecting Swagplay and dEnIsSsS pass mk.1 around that time, and even the Deoxys formes hadn't been banned yet. The meta was dominated by Flying (as always), Steel (utilizing Mega Mawile alongside an Aegislash/Heatran/Skarmory core) and Swift Swim Water. Of these, I was using Flying and I found Water to be more easy to handle, so my first priority was to deal with Steel. Thus, my first three pokemon:

The Mega Zard X / Lando-I core destroyed an ungodly number of teams, with Lando-I wallbreaking nearly anything not named Chansey and Zard X making use of the openings it created extremely well. Steel suffered especially, with nothing switching in on Landorus. Skarmory was a necessity, as it helped against Mega Mawile and provided defog, while the defensive synergy between the three meant something was almost always capable of switching in.

At this point, the biggest threats were Flying and Swift Swim teams. While Scarf Thundurus-Therian is more popular, I opted for a standard LO Prankster Thundurus set, as ability to change between Hidden Power Ice and Thunderbolt was extremely useful when facing opposing Flying teams and a Scarf Therian set wouldn't outspeed Swift Swimmers, so a priority Paralysis was more useful here.

At this point, there were a few things my team needed patching up. Firstly, it was somewhat lacking in special bulk, but I wanted to keep it offensive so I decided to try out a relatively unused pokemon a the time (it was still BL in standard tiers), AV Torn-t. I also wanted a physical wallbreaker and priority user, so BandNite was a perfect fit.

The team itself:

Death on Wings (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

This set has changed a few times to adapt to the meta, however it always remains approximately the same. At first I ran Earthquake over Roost, however it simply died far too quickly and Landorus provided more ground coverage than I could ever need already. I later used a bulkier set, but the lack of speed meant that it struggled to do anything if I couldn't find an opportunity to set up. Eventually I settled on a standard set with 252/252 Adamant, as this gives it all the power and speed it needs to sweep while Roost and a highly useful defensive typing allows it to switch in on boltbeam attackers, especially those relying on HP Ice, multiple times.

Landorus-Sweepian (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 11 Def
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

I know what you're thinking right now, and it's "why 11 Def IVs?" The answer is simple: Genesect. When this monster was unbanned (and swiftly rebanned on Steel), coming in on Landorus after a KO meant it got a SpA boost from download and automatically got a KO. By giving Landorus 4 SpD EVs and 11 Def IVs, it gets an Atk boost instead and is suddenly manageable.

The 4 Special Attacks set was standard when this team was made, and although SR, Knock Off and Rock Slide are all popular nowadays I still find it to be the best, as it breaks a huge number of teams on its own. The list of types that struggle with this monster: Steel, Rock, Poison, Fairy, Grass, Fire, Dark, Electric. That said, it can also do well against Ice, Fighting and Ghost. Types that don't lose to it: Ground, Flying, Dragon, Normal, Psychic, Bug, Water. That's... not many.

DestroyerOfWorlds (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Although its damage output can sometimes be lacking (even with Life Orb chosen over Leftovers), Thundurus remains a highly useful member of the team. Priority Thunder Wave is perfect for me, because I'm prone to choking and the ability to Para something even after 3 Dragon Dances has saved me numerous times. It's also key to the team as an attacker, as otherwise I struggle against all kinds of bulky waters, especially Slowbro. Ice coverage is a necessity in a metagame where Dragons are a very relevant, if underused, threat. I decided on Focus Blast over Nasty Plot as I never find Thundurus has the offensive presence needed to sweep, and being able to hit Tyranitar switchins when they hope to set up rocks is always useful, despite its miss rate and inability to OHKO AV variants.

HoNk :O) (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tornadus-T is probably the weakest pokemon on the team, but I needed a specially bulky pivot and this is what presented itself. Grass Knot is for the old Hippowdon / Gastrodon core that can always cause problems for a team, and even though Grass Knot is horrendously weak at times (struggling to 2HKO Gastrodon), being able to catch the core by surprise is often very useful. Tornadus-T also provides the Knock Off support that is particularly useful against Normal Eviolite cores, while Knocking Off Greninja Turn 1 was particularly fun before the ban.

Honestly, I should probably run 56 HP / 236 SpA / 216 Spe because it's a far better EV spread, but I always found random stuff outspeeding me to be annoying, and I need as much SpA investment as possible in order for Grass Knot to do anything. A Hasty nature is used because Knock Off and U-turn together on a specially bulky mon can slaughter Psychic teams, while also causing problems for Grass and Ghost somewhat.

Steel Rain (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Some people are surprised when they ask me what the most important pokemon on my offense team is, and I reply "Skarmory". The fact of the matter, however, is that no flying team can get by without a defogger (I've tried), and without Skarmory you're more likely than not going to get swept by a Cloyster sometime in your career. Capable of walling practically any physical attacker and at the same time controlling hazards and being able to phaze setup sweepers, this mon is irreplacable.

It doesn't come without its weaknesses, of course. With this set, it's complete Taunt bait, and I've lost a few games due to not being able to attack with it. Moving Stealth Rock to Landorus would solve this but make Landorus less useful in a number of matchups, and also make it harder for me to set rocks and apply pressure at once. Rocky Helmet allows me to apply pressure to mons attacking me that otherwise could just attack until they crit me, although it occasionally means I get KO'd when leftovers would have saved me, and against steel teams with Magnezone or the occasional psychic Gothitelle team I often find myself wishing I had shed shell. Overall, however, I'm very happy with the pokemon.

Outrageous (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Although it's visible a mile away, BandNite remains the best set, due to its immense damage output straight away, coupled with Extreme Speed priority. Many games revolve around getting Dragonite in on a wall, clicking Outrage, then cleaning with Zard X. Alternatively, it can deal with threats such as Mega Diancie or opposing Zard X by tanking a hit and KOing back with Earthquake.

Earthquake was chosen over Superpower because of the two threats stated above, alongside its ability to threaten Electric and to remain threatening after KOing something, rather than losing me momentum due to lowered Attack. Ice Punch catches lots of pokemon, particularly Landorus-T, Gliscor, Hippowdon and Togekiss, by surprise. The ability to take on Dragons without locking myself into Outrage is also useful at times, especially as Extremespeed often cleans Dragon teams that have been phazed a little by Skarmory.

Threat List:
Generic Psychic

This core is incredibly difficult to play around, as Slowbro stops everything but Landorus and Thundurus, Mew stops everything but Zard X while also setting rocks, and Mega Gardevoir seemingly gets a KO whenever it feels like it. Playing carefully to stop Stealth Rock and double-switching to get Thundurus in on Slowbro are the key to winning this one.

Genesect

Genesect was eventually banned on Bug at the same time as this team was rendered unusable by the Zard X ban, and as you can tell from the Landorus IVs was a large threat. However, every mon except for Skarmory has a higher SpD than Def, so as long as Stealth Rock are off the field and Charizard is Mega Evolved, it should be possible to deal with.

Stealth Rockers that beat Skarmory

(Yes, all of these are fire-types. It was honestly one of the harder matchups just because of this.)
The main thing stopping my team from falling apart was Skarmory's ability to defog Stealth Rock. If Stealth Rock got set and stayed there for more than a couple of turns, the team started to fall apart as only Landorus and Skarmory are really capable of tanking any hits after Stealth Rock damage. Luckily, Fire is weak to Stealth Rock meaning you can threaten them back with your own rocks.

Other options are to bring Skarm in as rocks are set then defog due to sturdy, although this loses Skarmory in the process. The other option, and generally the one used when facing steel, is to keep Landorus in as much as possible and try to prevent giving the opponent a chance to set rocks in the first place. None of these are great solutions, and honestly it's an uphill battle if any of these mons is your opponent's Stealth Rock setter.

Kyurem-Black

If you expected this not to be here, you don't know flying teams very well. Fusion Bolt / Ice Beam is pretty much impossible to switch in on, while Teravolt even breaks DNite's Multiscale. Against Scarf sets, it's often worth sacking Thundurus in order to paralyse this. Otherwise, try to get Landorus in (sometimes it's worth bringing it in on a predicted Fusion Bolt and risking the Ice Beam) and just hope Focus Blast hits. The other option is to get Zard X set up before it has a chance to come in. Luckily, the offensive nature of the team means that tricksy sets such as Sub Kyu-B are less likely to cause problems, though you should still be careful when facing it.

Other Phys Attackers that break Skarmory

Generally, the answer is either to revenge kill with Dragonite/Torn-t or to predict them coming in and switch to one of the two. Be wary of Stealth Rock getting set in these cases, and be very careful of using Dragonite as it can only tank one hit with Multiscale. Generally these threats aren't likely to sweep, but they can make way for other pokemon to sweep afterwards.

Mega Diancie

Mega Diancie is another of those pokemon that counter-teams Flying simply by existing. With Hidden Power Fire for Skarmory, Magic Bounce to stop Thundurus from T-Waving, high speed and even access to Calm Mind, it can be highly threatening. That said, it lacks bulk and needs +2 for moonblast to OHKO Dragonite, so as long as you're careful it can generally be revenge killed.

Stall Normal

Stall Normal is threatening in a similar manner to Generic Psychic, with the Chansey/P2 core being tough to break and Porygon2 having access to Download, Ice Beam and Discharge. However, playing well with Tornadus-T's Knock Off, Dragonite's Outrage and keeping Stealth Rock off your side and on theirs will often open up a chance for Zard X to set up and KO one of these, at which point you should be able to win. Constant aggressive playing wins this, although it's easy to overpredict and lose an important mon as well.

Replays:

Importable:
Death on Wings (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

Landorus-Sweepian (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 11 Def
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

DestroyerOfWorlds (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

HoNk :O) (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Steel Rain (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Outrageous (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

500th Post Shoutouts
Shoutouts to Nani Man for being Tanned af, shaymin and Zinnia for being awesome mono ROs;
For the former room auth who helped me get where I am, especially Zewwok , fail_at_battling MurasakiSaru , Auburn , Finnath ;
to scpinion cuz he could basically build the mono room by himself at this point, to Dream Eater Gengar cuz he can't teambuild, everyone else in the Monotype room, and probably everyone not in the mono room as well IDK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)