Monotype Team Flying

Hello, Smogon! Today I present a Monotype Flying Team. Flying is a weird type to me, specially in Monotype. I guess this sentiment comes from it not being a common primary type. Only Tornados is a pure Flying type, , if we don't include Type: Null and Arceus, and only the Noivern line is primary flying type. So it was always a condiment but never the main dish.

This time, I tried to shake up this self-imposed thought process and focus on the Flying type. Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Because of U-turn acess, great attack and speed I chose Landorus for a scout role. Choice Scarf boosts Landorus speed even further and its Ground typing allows a nice immunity to Electric and neutrality to Rock. Knock Off is a tactical to remove key items from opponents. Stone Edge is used against Flying type matches and Ice-type Pokémon. Earthquake is a stab factory.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast

Charizard Y is an insurrance against Rock- and Ice-types. Solarbeam (acclerated by sunlight) deals with the first and Fire Blast (boosted by sunlight) deals with the second. Air Slash is another good stab and Roost provides Charizard some nice recovery against Stealth Rock.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

I like the Prankster ability and since one of the advantages of the Flying type is its speed, why not cripple the oposition with a nice Thunder Wave to ensure speed supremacy? This is where Thundurus enters the fray. Thunderbolt is a stab and Grass Knot is a anti-Ground measure. Hidden Power Ice is a nice coverage option.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird

I have made a weird and probably less decent than average Skarmory set. Roost and Leftovers provide recovery. Toxic provides a damage per turn to the opponent and the bizarre part is the two stabs Iron Head and Brave Bird. I chose these combination because, for some reason (perhaps my bad sense of tactic) if I use a Skarmory with only one stab, I find myself always in a situation in which I need the other. This solved the problem.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog
- Earthquake

Electric-type moves are a favourite to take everyone out of the sky so a Pokémon with an immunity to those moves is a blessing for this team. Gliscor fits the requirements and with Poison Heal and Toxic Orb in combination with Roost its recovery rate is infernal. Toxic is always nice to have and Defog deals witha critical weakness of Flying type teams: Stealth Rock. Since Gliscor is part Ground-type, it is neutral to Rock-type damage (albeit extremely vulnerable to Ice-type moves) so it can be chosen to enter a pointy battlefield. Alfter recovering a bit it can use Defog to clean the field. Earthquake is a stab classic.

Hawlucha @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Aerial Ace
- High Jump Kick

Hawlucha is here to deal with Rock- and Ice-types. Since Hawlucha is neutral to Rock-type damage Defog is a nice choice to deal with Stealth Rock. Aerial Ace never misses its mark and High Jump Kick is a high-reward, high-risk combo.

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hello! I looked at your team and I thought that there could be some major improvements especially to certain sets on your team. You don't have a single special ice "resist" other than Charizard, which is incredibly weak to rocks. Hence, in order to help you deal with that, I want to propose a new type of Hawlucha to your team.
Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

This set makes sure that you can't be revenge killed by a scarfer since your speed hits the 700s. You can revamp this set and make it more bulky with HP since 700 could be a bit excessive.

Something else you might wanna consider changing is that skarmory set. To be honest, the set you are using is not viable. The goal of skarmory is to be able to soak up physical hits and then either get rid of hazards or set up its own on the opposing side. I think you would benefit if you changed your set to this:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

For the thundurus, I don't see the need to run both grass knot AND HP ice. You would benefit a lot more to running focus blast over one or the other or maybe running nasty plot for a late game sweep.

Other than that, nice standard team. Try to build on the weaknesses of the team and make sure you can beat them so it isn't too hard to win. Gl!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)