Tapu Fini Discussion

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
This is a really stupid set idea but if Bulu and Lele are omnipresent enough checks, it might just be stupid enough to work.

Tapu Fini@Leftovers
[Arbitrary Defensive Investment]
-Scald
-Moonblast
-Defog/Ice Beam
-Rest

Now, I know what you're thinking, "You can't use Rest in Misty Terrain" and yes, I know you can't. But that doesn't mean you can't use Rest at all, and more importantly, Tapu Fini's ability acts as a Natural Cure if you're "somehow" statused.

This "Somehow" is either when your Terrain expires (Switching out and in before it expires the first time, so you don't refresh Terrain... or just somehow staying in for 5 turns, I guess), or when counters like Bulu or checks like Lele come on in and override your Terrain, giving you an opportunity to predict their switch, hit Rest for a free full heal, and then switch out. It's stupid, difficult to use, virtually relies on the fact that Bulu and Lele are omnipresent in the game, and forces you to switch out on using it... but the payoff if you get a good opportunity to do it and pulling it off is immense.

It might not be good enough to run Rest over all four of the other moves listed or Haze, but it's an interesting option that it's getting discussed, so I feel like I should get it out there.

Edit: Or not apparently Gamefreak ruins my hopes and dreams and doesn't give rest to ANY of the tapus lol

Last edited:
This is a really stupid set idea but if Bulu and Lele are omnipresent enough checks, it might just be stupid enough to work.

Tapu Fini@Leftovers
-Scald
-Moonblast
-Defog/Ice Beam
-Rest

Now, I know what you're thinking, "You can't use Rest in Misty Terrain" and yes, I know you can't. But that doesn't mean you can't use Rest at all, and more importantly, Tapu Fini's ability acts as a Natural Cure if you're "somehow" statused.

This "Somehow" is either when your Terrain expires (Switching out and in before it expires the first time, so you don't refresh Terrain... or just somehow staying in for 5 turns, I guess), or when counters like Bulu or checks like Lele come on in and override your Terrain, giving you an opportunity to predict their switch, hit Rest for a free full heal, and then switch out. It's stupid, difficult to use, virtually relies on the fact that Bulu and Lele are omnipresent in the game, and forces you to switch out on using it... but the payoff if you get a good opportunity to do it and pulling it off is immense.

It might not be good enough to run Rest over all four of the other moves listed or Haze, but it's an interesting option that it's getting discussed, so I feel like I should get it out there.
Tapu Fini can't learn Rest.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Tapu Fini can't learn Rest.
I somehow missed that all 4 of these Pokemon don't learn Rest. Are these really the only Pokemon that learn TMs that don't get it other than Komala and Regigigas? Is it some sort of stupid joke that the Island Guardians never rest? Gamefreak ruining my gimmick sets with their bad humor.

Edit: Or not apparently Gamefreak ruins my hopes and dreams and doesn't give rest to ANY of the tapus lol
Even if Fini did get rest I believe Misty Terrain doesn't work that way. It gets immunity from status, yes, but I don't believe Misty Terrain will actually heal the status on its activation.

"No recovery"

I imagine Aqua Rings is just sitting there asking us to notice them
Aqua Ring, as a move, is just hot trash. Suppose you come in on something you wall (ie. Heatran). Best case scenario, you A-Ring as he Stealth Rocks maybe(if he didn't already on the turn you switched in)? So that's +1/16. Then he switches into something that will force you out, most likely, so you only get another +1/16, which is 1/8 of your HP. Usually, he will just switch on your Aqua Ring, resulting only in a 1/16 heal. It will always, always be better option to go for a damaging move. Even if he stays with in with SpDef Heatran, Terrain Boosted Moonblast (remember x0.25 effectiveness) deals more damage than Aqua Ring would heal...

+1 252 SpA Azumarill Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Heatran: 34-40 (8.8 - 10.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever (Ring heals 6.25%)

If he switches into something that is neutral, or even resistant, or even resistant and bulky, or even a quad resist and bulky, Aqua Ring will never, ever be the best move to go for, unless maybe against full stall, but even then, you would have to be in for like 5-6 turns to make it worthwhile.

I just wanted to highlight how awful the move is, and people need to stop suggesting it on this and WishiWashi etc. Lots of people are doing it, I didn't mean to make this just a bash on you <3

Only a slightly lighter note, this thing seems to be the best switchin to Heatran :) No risk of burn while resisting it's attacks and being able to Defog Hazards makes it seem like a really solid check.

Tapu Fini@Leftovers
-Scald
-Moonblast
-Defog/Ice Beam
-Rest

Instead of Rest, you should put Misty Terrain in the fourth slot. That may sound crazy, but the same tactic is used by Drought Ninetales in Black and White. Due to its weaknesses to Water, Ground and Rock moves, Drought Ninetales is just asking for Politoed, Hippowdon or Tyranitar to switch in and remove its weather. By using Sunny Day as they switch-in, it can immediately change the weather back to sunlight.
Since Tapu Fini also has weaknesses to two other Tapus (Koko kills it with Electric Terrain-boosted Electric moves, Bulu kills it with Grassy Terrain-boosted Grass moves), it can use Misty Terrain when they switch in and immediately remove their terrain.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Aqua Ring, as a move, is just hot trash. Suppose you come in on something you wall (ie. Heatran). Best case scenario, you A-Ring as he Stealth Rocks maybe(if he didn't already on the turn you switched in)? So that's +1/16. Then he switches into something that will force you out, most likely, so you only get another +1/16, which is 1/8 of your HP. Usually, he will just switch on your Aqua Ring, resulting only in a 1/16 heal. It will always, always be better option to go for a damaging move. Even if he stays with in with SpDef Heatran, Terrain Boosted Moonblast (remember x0.25 effectiveness) deals more damage than Aqua Ring would heal...

+1 252 SpA Azumarill Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Heatran: 34-40 (8.8 - 10.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever (Ring heals 6.25%)

If he switches into something that is neutral, or even resistant, or even resistant and bulky, or even a quad resist and bulky, Aqua Ring will never, ever be the best move to go for, unless maybe against full stall, but even then, you would have to be in for like 5-6 turns to make it worthwhile.

I just wanted to highlight how awful the move is, and people need to stop suggesting it on this and WishiWashi etc. Lots of people are doing it, I didn't mean to make this just a bash on you <3

Only a slightly lighter note, this thing seems to be the best switchin to Heatran :) No risk of burn while resisting it's attacks and being able to Defog Hazards makes it seem like a really solid check.
I was joking... I tried to reference the Notice Me Senpai meme but obviously I failed. gonna crawl back under my rock now......

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does this look UU? Honest question, it's got a pretty amazing defensive typing a great spread for bulk and a pretty decent movepool. The only thing it's missing is recovery, but it could easily run a Calm Mind mono attack set and it's an excellent defogger. For the Calm Mind set:

Tapu-Fini@ Leftovers
Calm 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Misty Terrain
~ Calm Mind
~ Haze
~ Toxic
~ Scald/ Surf

EVs can probably use some fine tuning but the only things that can switch in and wall Tapu-Fini could easily just eat a Toxic. Scald to cripple Physical attackers and Haze to keep it from being set up on.
It's also missing an offensive presence. Without any status or recovery to outlast its switch-ins, it is outright bait for hazard setters and powerful wallbreakers that can smash right through it.

Again, no recovery, the thing most CM users have that makes them able to sweep. Having a really good typing only carries you so far.

Z-Refresh heals 100% HP, just saying.
That is actually quite relevant (despite Refresh not being useful on a 'Mon that basically cannot be statused), because it is essentially like ChestoRest. Some notable differences (aside from one time use, but Chesto is only one time as well) are:
• Using up your only Z-Move
• Z-Items cannot be knocked off, plus reduced damage making it an even more excellent Knock Off switch in.

I thought there were more, but that's mostly it xD I can see this being the go-to if your team happens to not have another 'Mon wanting a Z-Move. Because this typing + Defog, plus having yourself/team immune to status seems really good as it is. Not to mention a bonus to Fairy attacks.

It's also missing an offensive presence. Without any status or recovery to outlast its switch-ins, it is outright bait for hazard setters and powerful wallbreakers that can smash right through it.

Again, no recovery, the thing most CM users have that makes them able to sweep. Having a really good typing only carries you so far.
With Haze and Defog you can't set up hazards or boost against it though?

That is actually quite relevant (despite Refresh not being useful on a 'Mon that basically cannot be statused), because it is essentially like ChestoRest. Some notable differences (aside from one time use, but Chesto is only one time as well) are:
• Using up your only Z-Move
• Z-Items cannot be knocked off, plus reduced damage making it an even more excellent Knock Off switch in.

I thought there were more, but that's mostly it xD I can see this being the go-to if your team happens to not have another 'Mon wanting a Z-Move. Because this typing + Defog, plus having yourself/team immune to status seems really good as it is. Not to mention a bonus to Fairy attacks.
Misty Terrain doesn't boost Fairy attacks, just an fyi. But still Fini has potential to be a very reliable defogger with a nice defensive typing, Z-refresh to heal up when needed, and blow away defog stopper Sableye (avoiding it's burns). 252 HP / 252+ Speed is a pretty nice spread for it I'd say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)