Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I wonder if we're gonna see a potential shift in the preferred Ogerpon form. Cornerstone was always more of a spicy or anti-meta pick, but with an influx of mostly-Rock-neutral Dragons, some of which actually gain a Rock Weakness like Gouging Fire and Kyurem, combined with an uptick in other resistors/equal neutralities to Rock vs Water Cudgel coverage (Serperior, Hydrapple, Meowscarada resurgence, Skarmory) and Sun Teams bringing a weakening-weather for Wellspring's STAB and Cornerstone's Water-Neutrality, Cornerstone has a lot more favorable match-ups now than in DLC1.
Even if not better I think there's more of a case for teams wanting it vs Wellspring than DLC1 ever presented.

Both Ogerpons also benefit from the Meta finally seeing some decent Ice STAB users like Weavile and Meowscarada through Triple Axel distribution, which takes a bit of burden off them to face Dragons themselves, while also appreciating Speed Control via Ice Shard in Weavile's case.
A lot of why rain really fell off in Teal Mask was Waterpon's Water Absorb doing so much to negate the scariest damage rain teams could do, so I imagine now that rain has some very fun new tools like Archaludon i'm not trying to talk about it every post i swear and got much better overall, it can't check them as universally as it once did. That may change when Keldeo inevitably makes a comeback, but for now I imagine Rockpon is going to be more widely useful.

I am really happy the Lati twins got new tools to make them work in the tier, Latios doing its old tricks while also getting a pivot move. Latias getting DK and its CM set doing great. All that in a tier with 9823828272726 dragons, 2 of the best ghosts, a bunch of fairies and Gambit and Darkrai. We love to see it!
They also buffed luster purge and mist ball to 95bp. They’re actually nuts moves now

Time to share some niche OU sets that I've been having quite a bit of fun with as of late; some of these are tech'd to deal with specific powerful meta threats while some are more generalized against multiple playstyles and fit general team compositions as a whole.

Priority Utility Phaser Flygon
:flygon:
Flygon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Flygon has been my favorite anti-meta pick for a little bit now as it has some unique tools that no other Pokemon has access to in the same way - Priority First Impression smacks fast and powerful threats like Darkrai, Deoxys-S, Greninja, Hydrapple, Iron Boulder, Latias, Latios, Necrozma, Ogerpon-Cornerstone, Ogerpon-Wellspring, Rillaboom, Roaring Moon, Samurott-Hisui, Serperior, and Ting-Lu for super effective damage and can be extremely useful against Choice Scarf or just generally faster threats. U-Turn is great for maintaining momentum, while STAB Earthquake can punish multiple common OU threats. STAB Dragon Tail is additionally great for phasing - the combination of phasing + momentum along with priority is something that only Flygon can accomplish. Most of the attacks coming Flygon's way will be special (as the bulk of physical attacks Flygon resists quite handily), and Levitate further compliments that defensive profile. Tera Bug is useful for two reasons - giving priority First Impression and U-Turn STAB, and granting Flygon a new defensive resistance to Fighting-type attacks (and turning its 4x Ice weakness into a neutrality). Other Tera-type options are there, of course, but I prefer Tera Bug's offensive utility here personally.

Momentum Blocking Utility Phaser Magmortar
:magmortar:
Magmortar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Roar
- Clear Smog
- Lava Plume

Magmortar got newfound access to both Knock Off and Roar, making it a wonderful offensive utility phaser. You can cripple entire team core setups with this set - Knock Off cripples individual threats while Roar phases problematic Pokemon away. Clear Smog is a Taunt-proof way of stopping setup sweepers while also chipping them for acceptable damage. STAB Lava Plume has a nice burn chance and rounds out this set decently. Magmortar's acceptable special bulk with HP investment allows it to live some surprisingly strong attacks.

Agility Adaptability Tera Sweeper Porygon-Z
:porygon z:
Porygon-Z @ Expert Belt
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tera Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Agility

Porygon-Z was born for Tera - Tera Blast is always Adaptability STAB, regardless of your chosen Tera type or whether you even terastallize it that match. I like to go with a Tera Fighting variant as the complimenting coverage of Shadow Ball and Ice Beam works quite well for it. Agility is going to be your primary boosting move, as Porygon-Z's biggest weak point as an offensive sweeper is its lackluster base 90 speed. You can leverage Porygon-Z's nuclear power with Adaptability far better with a +2 speed boost and additionally (mostly) solve Porygon-Z's long-existing issues with 4MSS thanks to Tera plus the additional Adaptability boost actually giving Porygon-Z two STABS (with one of those being a STAB of your choosing). Basically - Porygon-Z stacking STABs go "brr" on your opponents.

Utility Parting Shot Spinner Morpeko
:morpeko:
Morpeko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Hunger Switch
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Parting Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Super Fang / Knock Off / Taunt / Seed Bomb
I've been advocating for and using Morpeko since its introduction in Generation 8. I feel that it's one of the most underrated Pokemon and the best of the Pika clones competitively. Aura Wheel is effectively two STAB moves in one (Electric/Dark, 110 BP, 100% Acc) that boosts Morpeko's speed by one upon a successful hit (switches between the types turn by turn) and that particular STAB combination is very nice in this meta. Parting Shot allows Morpeko to maintain momentum while softening any incoming blows for teammates thanks to the -1 to both Attack and Special Attack that your opponent gets, while Rapid Spin is useful as always. The last slot is a toss-up depending on your team's specific needs, but the four options I've listed are all options that I've tooled around with that are quite useful. Super Fang will take down half of the HP of particularly immovable feeling threats like Dondozo, but STAB Knock Off pairs quite nicely with Morpeko's other utility tools. Taunt is also a great option to shut down slower defensive and utility threats, while Seed Bomb provides good coverage against some nasty OU threats.

Porygon-Z @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Tera Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Agility

Porygon-Z was born for Tera - Tera Blast is always Adaptability STAB, regardless of your chosen Tera type or whether you even terastallize it that match. I like to go with a Tera Fighting variant as the complimenting coverage of Shadow Ball and Ice Beam works quite well for it. Agility is going to be your primary boosting move, as Porygon-Z's biggest weak point as an offensive sweeper is its lackluster base 90 speed. You can leverage Porygon-Z's nuclear power with Adaptability far better with a +2 speed boost and additionally (mostly) solve Porygon-Z's long-existing issues with 4MSS thanks to Tera plus the additional Adaptability boost actually giving Porygon-Z two STABS (with one of those being a STAB of your choosing). Basically - Porygon-Z stacking STABs go "brr" on your opponents.​
I'm just waiting for Porygon-Z to break the generational mechanic, again

Here are some OU sets that have been very fun to use for me
Our last line of defense will be... Deoxys Defense
Deoxys-Defense
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Steel/Fighting/Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Teleport
- Knock Off
- Spikes/Stealth Rock/Reflect/Recover
- Light Screen/Taunt/Thunder Wave/Extreme Speed/Psychic Noise
It's Deoxys Defense, there are 14000605 ways to run this thing, go berserk
Daikaijū no hana
Meganium @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overgrow
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Trailblaze
I never thought the words Meganium Sweep would ever exist... but they do, right here right now (I forgot to save the replay, sorry), this set has 6-0 a team with Latios, Keldeo, and something else really strong.
Sans
Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
If something has Will o Wisp + Hex and a good Special Attack stat, I will make that type of set with it, but Darkrai? Hell. Fucking. Yeah. Focus Blast for Tera Normal Dragonite
Blazing Souls
Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fire
- Torch Song
- Slack Off
- Psychic Noise/Alluring Voice/Scorching Sands/Hex
- Encore/Roar/Will-O-Wisp/Yawn
The funny croc now has a funny glock (and also ways to threaten Koraidon and Stall even better in Ubers), Skeledirge has been eating good with the DLCs
Challenger Approaching
Emboar @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt/High Horsepower
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
Final set I have unreasonable amounts of fun with, support Emboar, you did not see this one coming

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
:Darkrai: This Pokemon is surprisingly...mid...it is like plenty viable sure, but it is not broken or even close, in my opinion. Very glad we dropped it to OU!
Umm... no shit? One of the biggest tiering mistakes of SM was the council refusing to test Darkrai - it was likely balanced there too being relatively frail compared to the rest of the meta and walled by the best pivot in the meta in AV gear. It's shocking that someone with this much experience doesn't think this was predictable. If anything, it's not too late to retest this in SM, but that's better left for a separate PR thread.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Umm... no shit? One of the biggest tiering mistakes of SM was the council refusing to test Darkrai - it was likely balanced there too being relatively frail compared to the rest of the meta and walled by the best pivot in the meta in AV gear. It's shocking that someone with this much experience doesn't think this was predictable. If anything, it's not too late to retest this in SM, but that's better left for a separate PR thread.
ratio

I once again wish people would understand that a good idea (in this case, retesting Darkrai in older gens) can be ruined by expressing it like an asshole

That aside, for an actual discussion, is there anything you people felt would be good but now is looking could drop to UU?

Time to share some niche OU sets that I've been having quite a bit of fun with as of late; some of these are tech'd to deal with specific powerful meta threats while some are more generalized against multiple playstyles and fit general team compositions as a whole.

Flygon @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Flygon has been my favorite anti-meta pick for a little bit now as it has some unique tools that no other Pokemon has access to in the same way - Priority First Impression smacks fast and powerful threats like Darkrai, Deoxys-S, Greninja, Hydrapple, Iron Boulder, Latias, Latios, Necrozma, Ogerpon-Cornerstone, Ogerpon-Wellspring, Rillaboom, Roaring Moon, Samurott-Hisui, Serperior, and Ting-Lu for super effective damage and can be extremely useful against Choice Scarf or just generally faster threats. U-Turn is great for maintaining momentum, while STAB Earthquake can punish multiple common OU threats. STAB Dragon Tail is additionally great for phasing - the combination of phasing + momentum along with priority is something that only Flygon can accomplish. Most of the attacks coming Flygon's way will be special (as the bulk of physical attacks Flygon resists quite handily), and Levitate further compliments that defensive profile. Tera Bug is useful for two reasons - giving priority First Impression and U-Turn STAB, and granting Flygon a new defensive resistance to Fighting-type attacks (and turning its 4x Ice weakness into a neutrality). Other Tera-type options are there, of course, but I prefer Tera Bug's offensive utility here personally.
Love that the chef de cuisine himself is finding a use for my favorite 'mon, and as somebody who toyed around with Silver Powder Flygon last gen, I love this set in particular. Still, I feel like I've got to point out that Slither Wing gets Whirlwind (along with natural STAB on First Impression and U-Turn coming off of a massively higher Attack and non-trivially improved bulk, especially on the special side). Flygon comes with the better speed tier, even if base 100 isn't what it used to be, and comes with two immunities by default along with giving absolutely zero effs about hazards pre-tera, but it would be interesting to hear how (Tera Ground?) Slither Wing performs in this same role.

Honestly, I'm just incredibly salty that, in the generation where Gamefreak finally gave Flygon Stealth Rocks, they couldn't be bothered to officially put Roost in its learnset -- or as an Egg Move, like they did for Empoleon. Everything else that even kind of has wings gets it. Dunsparce gets Roost! Certainly not OU relevant, but losing bulky Flygon as an option still sucks hard.

Porygon-Z @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Tera Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Agility

Porygon-Z was born for Tera - Tera Blast is always Adaptability STAB, regardless of your chosen Tera type or whether you even terastallize it that match. I like to go with a Tera Fighting variant as the complimenting coverage of Shadow Ball and Ice Beam works quite well for it. Agility is going to be your primary boosting move, as Porygon-Z's biggest weak point as an offensive sweeper is its lackluster base 90 speed. You can leverage Porygon-Z's nuclear power with Adaptability far better with a +2 speed boost and additionally (mostly) solve Porygon-Z's long-existing issues with 4MSS thanks to Tera plus the additional Adaptability boost actually giving Porygon-Z two STABS (with one of those being a STAB of your choosing). Basically - Porygon-Z stacking STABs go "brr" on your opponents.​
Curious about your thoughts on Download as an ability for Porygon-Z. Less consistent than Adaptability, for sure, but with a higher payoff -- and when using niche 'mons, it feels like going full David Strategy is the best bet to maximize its strengths over other "more viable" options. Pretty sure the math consistently goes in Adaptability's favor on NP (or Double Dance) sets, though.

unlike this gen, darkrai was absurdly fast in sm and had access to a zmoves which would shatter anything short of av gear. This is just such a mind numbing take.

dArKrAi Is MiD

no one could imagine, before dlc come out
- another wave of busted pokemons
- the unban of deo-s which with nasty plot, is the total powercreeped version of darkrai, maybe even latios is better with buffed lpurge
- more speed with proto + be users, exca under sand, proto under sun and so on, 125 base spd is nothing if every team can run 2 be users
- more spikes with deobros and gliscor unbanned, the only real viable item for darkrai is hbd (while latios has levitate)
- volcarona can easily get a 35% by dpulse and dance in front of darkrai

seems like to be back again under the same, constant problems of too much hazards and everything is way too fast

What are some thoughts on running Burning Bulwark on Gouging Fire?
my thoughts are that burning bulwark is really good on defensive sets, and that defensive gouging fire is a pretty solid pokemon. it synergizes especially well with temper flare and stomping tantrum, since using burning bulwark on a switch causes the move to fail, meaning you get to unleash a 150-power move on whatever's just come in. honestly, pretty much any move that can do two useful things at once is good, and we've gotten a decent number of those this gen—burning bulwark compresses protect and status spreading into a single slot, matcha gotcha drains health and burns, dire claw has three different status effects (and, unlike tri attack, an unreasonably high chance to proc—buff tri attack to 50% you cowards), tidy up is both setup and hazard removal, ceaseless edge is stab and spikes, etc. that's one of the things i like most about this gen: between these new moves, some expanded movepools, and tera, there are an amazing number of options for role compression

Last edited:
my thoughts are that burning bulwark is really good on defensive sets, and that defensive gouging fire is a pretty solid pokemon. it synergizes especially well with temper flare and stomping tantrum, since using burning bulwark on a switch causes the move to fail, meaning you get to unleash a 150-power move on whatever's just come in
Wait that's actually a cool synergy

edit to avoid one liner

Just went to watch someone playing while I study and lmfao https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2015645456

Last edited:
I was gonna make a post rebuking this because I'm an avid SM OU apologist, but then I looked at the VR (Thundurus-T at B- as of january 2023 we're winning boys), looked at Darkrai's stats and movepool, and realized that it really wouldn't have been all that. Like I don't think the tier needs another strong fast special attacker so I'm not exactly sad that Darkrai isn't present, but it really wouldn't break the format. Plus it really would just destroy shed stall which is an objectively good thing.

Nevermind Darkrai doesn't have psycock it can't beat chansey it's so over

this was presented a bit rudely, but you may actually have a point here—gen 7 does have some unique elements that could make darkrai potentially bearable in the tier. first off, ash-greninja offers immediate competition as a statistically superior dark-type breaker; sure, you need a turn to get it to that form, but scoring a ko with greninja is an easier task than finding a turn to set up as darkrai. ash-greninja being really good also means that most teams are running answers for it, many of which also work against darkrai. also, magearna being legal is absolute poison for darkrai, and this isn't even theoretical because we can actually see this matchup happen in uubers this gen. and of course eviolite chansey is still a prominent thing that darkrai can't touch. now, i haven't played gen 7 ou since… well, since gen 7, so i don't really have a horse in this race, but i'd definitely support a retest for darkrai in that gen

this was presented a bit rudely, but you may actually have a point here—gen 7 does have some unique elements that could make darkrai potentially bearable in the tier. first off, ash-greninja offers immediate competition as a statistically superior dark-type breaker; sure, you need a turn to get it to that form, but scoring a ko with greninja is an easier task than finding a turn to set up as darkrai. ash-greninja being really good also means that most teams are running answers for it, many of which also work against darkrai. also, magearna being legal is absolute poison for darkrai, and this isn't even theoretical because we can actually see this matchup happen in uubers this gen. and of course eviolite chansey is still a prominent thing that darkrai can't touch. now, i haven't played gen 7 ou since… well, since gen 7, so i don't really have a horse in this race, but i'd definitely support a retest for darkrai in that gen
Personally I wouldn't outright support a test for darkrai in gen 7 but I also wouldn't vote against one. It has many answers but at the same time I like the tier how it is and we don't really need another strong fast special attacker that can't touch AV magearna. Just my opinion tho

Personally I wouldn't outright support a test for darkrai in gen 7 but I also wouldn't vote against one. It has many answers but at the same time I like the tier how it is and we don't really need another strong fast special attacker that can't touch AV magearna. Just my opinion tho
i mean, what's the worst that can happen, right? it's not like it'll overstay its welcome if it does happen to still be broken. when has gen 7 ou ever kept anything in the tier for too long? please do not look at the baton pass threads

In my opinion about Darkrai I think it's more about people having a sorta "Uber prejudice". It happens all the time something was top once gets dropped, why I remember back in gen 7 people were calling Mega-Mawile and Greninja broken mons who should be booted back to Ubers and both were solid picks for OU, same thing in Gen 8 with Blaziken were everyone was saying it was gonna tear the tier apart... and then it ended up as a mostly mid pick with better fire mons in Volcarona, Volcanion and Heatran. Like there's nothing wrong in being careful about nominations, take Genesect, it always starts as OU and 2 hours later it gets the ban, but we should not be afraid to look at a mon who got hit with some hard nerfs and bring it to OU, I mean Aegis got the boot two times and Zama-H also took some heavy nerfs and while some people still claim the latter it's broken I think most people agree they are fine.
TL/DR: It's fine whenever or not you thought/think a mon is broken, we can always test it, just be polite to your fellow users.

Last edited:

Flygon @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Momentum Blocking Utility Phaser Magmortar
:magmortar:
Magmortar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Roar
- Clear Smog
- Lava Plume

Magmortar got newfound access to both Knock Off and Roar, making it a wonderful offensive utility phaser. You can cripple entire team core setups with this set - Knock Off cripples individual threats while Roar phases problematic Pokemon away. Clear Smog is a Taunt-proof way of stopping setup sweepers while also chipping them for acceptable damage. STAB Lava Plume has a nice burn chance and rounds out this set decently. Magmortar's acceptable special bulk with HP investment allows it to live some surprisingly strong attacks.

Porygon-Z @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Tera Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Agility

Porygon-Z was born for Tera - Tera Blast is always Adaptability STAB, regardless of your chosen Tera type or whether you even terastallize it that match. I like to go with a Tera Fighting variant as the complimenting coverage of Shadow Ball and Ice Beam works quite well for it. Agility is going to be your primary boosting move, as Porygon-Z's biggest weak point as an offensive sweeper is its lackluster base 90 speed. You can leverage Porygon-Z's nuclear power with Adaptability far better with a +2 speed boost and additionally (mostly) solve Porygon-Z's long-existing issues with 4MSS thanks to Tera plus the additional Adaptability boost actually giving Porygon-Z two STABS (with one of those being a STAB of your choosing). Basically - Porygon-Z stacking STABs go "brr" on your opponents.

Utility Parting Shot Spinner Morpeko
:morpeko:
Morpeko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Hunger Switch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Parting Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Super Fang / Knock Off / Taunt / Seed Bomb
I've been advocating for and using Morpeko since its introduction in Generation 8. I feel that it's one of the most underrated Pokemon and the best of the Pika clones competitively. Aura Wheel is effectively two STAB moves in one (Electric/Dark, 110 BP, 100% Acc) that boosts Morpeko's speed by one upon a successful hit (switches between the types turn by turn) and that particular STAB combination is very nice in this meta. Parting Shot allows Morpeko to maintain momentum while softening any incoming blows for teammates thanks to the -1 to both Attack and Special Attack that your opponent gets, while Rapid Spin is useful as always. The last slot is a toss-up depending on your team's specific needs, but the four options I've listed are all options that I've tooled around with that are quite useful. Super Fang will take down half of the HP of particularly immovable feeling threats like Dondozo, but STAB Knock Off pairs quite nicely with Morpeko's other utility tools. Taunt is also a great option to shut down slower defensive and utility threats, while Seed Bomb provides good coverage against some nasty OU threats.
Yo that Flygon set is heat AF