Other Survivor III interest thread/signups

SURVIVOR III (Hoenn??) thread approved by Yeti
I'll actually be hosting the game in June, since i'm going to be gone for part of May, but I haven't actually created any of the challenges yet and wanted to design the game around the number of players, rather than the other way around. Of course, to figure out how many players i'm going to build the game around, i'd need to know who's actually interested in playing. So, that's the purpose of this thread.

(intro post/rules/faq all copied from jalmont, with a few modifications)
This game is based on the TV show. Just like TV, the goal is to outwit, outplay, and outlast your fellow competitors and be the last one left to claim the title of Sole Survivor.

This game will run similar to the previous game of Survivor I hosted w/ Jalmont. While a large portion of the game will involve battling, don't worry about not being the best battler (although it doesn't hurt to be good)! Not all of the tiers will be the most "competitive" so you don't need to have won the Smogon Tour to have fun in this game :]

Please make sure to read the rules and FAQ (copied from zorbees's previous game and edited with some slight modifications to make them more relevant to this one)

Rules (not decided yet, but here's last season's rules in case you want a general idea of how this game works. Most of this will remain the same, while things like number of tribes/number of people in tribes/existence of hidden immunity idols/timing of challenges possibly being different)
1. Game Basics:
There will be two tribes with 8 people each. Tribes will be setup in order to ensure that both tribes are about equal in battling skill (as best as possible, no guarantees)

-During the Day phases of the game there will be immunity challenges. Immunity challenges decide who is safe and who has to go to tribal council.

-During the Tribal Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost as a whole tribe. The tribe that loses in the immunity challenge will have to go to Tribal Council and vote someone out.

-During the Individual Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost by a single person. The winner of the immunity challenge cannot be voted upon, but (s)he will be able to vote.

2. Challenges
Challenges will normally consist of Pokemon battles using the Pokemon Showdown! simulator. Occasionally there will be non-Pokemon challenges; however, the majority will involve some sort of Pokemon battling.

Challenges will vary in terms of tiers and rules, from normal tiers such as ORAS OU to other metagames such as Monotype and 1v1 Challenge Cup

-At the start of the Day phase, the details of the challenge will be posted.

-During Tribal (Team) challenges, some players will have to sit out some of the challenges. Players cannot sit out during two consecutive challenges. Yes, this is a little different from the show.

You don't need to be good at battling to succeed in Survivor. While being good at battling will help, no competitive battling experience is necessary.

3. Tribal Council:
-Tribal Council will occur at the Night phase after the Immunity Challenge.

There will be a private Vote to see who is eliminated from the game.

-The vote total will be revealed to the tribe at the end of the night, but you will not know who voted for who.

-In case of an initial tie, there will be a re-vote where you can only vote for one of the people with the most votes. For example, if there are 3 votes for Player A, 3 votes for Player B, and 1 vote for Player C in a 7 man tribe, you may only vote for Player A or B during the re-vote.

-In case of a second tie, the player who leaves will be determined by a random number generator. The players who tied for the most votes both times will be safe from this tiebreaker. In the previous example, players A and B would be safe.

Players voted out (aka dead) cannot be communicated with following their removal from the game. There will be absolutely no communication between dead players and alive players. This will change when the game reaches its conclusion, but until then, this rule will be strictly enforced.

At a certain point, those voted out will form the Jury. The Jury is special in that they follow the game in order to vote for a winner at the end of the game.

4. Winning the Game:
-The goal of the game is to reach the Final Tribal Council, which typically occurs with just two or three people left in the game. You cannot win the game unless you make it to the Final Tribal Council.

-At the Final Tribal Council, the remaining players in the game speak to the jury and try to convince the jury that they deserve to win the game.

-Each finalist is allowed to make an opening statement on why they deserve to win the game.

Following opening statements, each Jury member is allowed to make either a statement or ask the finalists a question if they choose to. They may say or ask whatever they want.

-When everyone is done speaking, the jury will vote privately on who wins the game. Whoever gets the most votes wins.

5. Forum Mechanics:
A typical phase will go like this. I post a challenge and the rules. Teams will have around 48 hours to plan strategy and submit lineups (and other stuff like that). From there, tribes will have about 3-5 days to get matches done. The losing tribe will then go to tribal council where they will vote a person off.

The #circus channel on Pokemon Showdown! will be the primary place where games will be arranged. Try to idle there to catch your opponent!

No communication with players not on your tribe during the tribal stage. Obviously, I can't enforce this but other than pleasantries do not talk strategy regarding the game in a private manner. The only reason you should be talking to opposing tribe members is to schedule battles.

The voting stage will take place over 48 hours after the challenge is over. Players will have the first 24 hours to strategize, and then the last 24 to vote. You cannot change your vote once submitted. I will not be extending deadlines unless I absolutely have to.

Inactive players who fail to vote will vote for themselves, unless evidence can be provided otherwise as to that person voting for someone else, OR if I deem that self voting would negatively impact the strategy of the game, in which case I will randomize the vote.

-No anonymous nicks will be allowed for the purposes of this game. No impersonating as well. You will be punished if caught.

There will be no designated IRC/circus channel for tribes but I highly recommend creating one if you want real time chat with your tribemates (invite me please!). Alternatively, if you would like me to create one I can also make a channel. Also, forum conversations will be created to facilitate team discussion. You can also privately PM people ONLY on your tribe (make sure to invite me!).

FAQ
6. FAQ:
-Q: So this game draws a lot from the TV show?
-A: Yes. A basic knowledge of the format of the game will help you.

-Q: When is the merge, When does the Individual portion start, etc?
Any and all twists will be hidden from the players. However, in the interest of fairness and objectivity, all twists and challenges have been planned out before hand. Since this game is not on television, I have no vested interest in ensuring that the game is interesting for outside viewers. As a result, I will be as consistent as possible in terms of following the plan for the game. However, I do reserve the right to make changes for any reason that I determine necessary to ensure the integrity of the game.

-Q: Final 2 or Final 3?
You'll see when/if we get there :]

-Q: What does the jury base their votes on?
The Jury is free to base their votes on whatever criteria that they believe to be important. There is no objective way to play the game that will guarantee you win; it is up to the Jury to decide that you are worthy of being the winner.

-Q: Should I communicate my thoughts to the host?
Absolutely! Please include me in all conversations, whatever they may be. I am planning to do a "postgame" that will go over what happened at every stage of the game, so any and all logs would be much appreciated.

On sportsmanship:
Look, this game is meant to be fun. The challenges are meant to be fun. That means I don't expect there to be too many problems regarding unsporting behavior, especially since you cannot win the game by winning all the challenges. I don't want to have to host this like an official Smogon Tournament, so I won't. But please do not/avoid as much as possible situations in which I will be forced to intervene and make decisions (eg activity wins and disconnections). If I hear anything regarding things such as ghosting or any type of cheating at all, I will forcibly remove the offending parties from the game AND push for some sort of forum-wide infraction. It's a game. Don't be a jerk.
If necessary, I will enact protocols (e.g. sending in teams and what not) to ensure the integrity of the game. Don't make me do that. I don't want to do that, so let's try our best to be reasonable :]
On activity:
You will get more from this game the more you put into it. By using pokemon battles as challenges, my goal is to make all stages of the game fun. That being said, I cannot force players to be active, as long as they meet the minimum requirements of voting and taking part in the challenges. If possible, I will avoid making substitutions unless absolutely necessary. A player who idles will likely be left in the game unless it is early in the game or I deem it necessary for whatever reason to make a substitution. This game shouldn't take up too much of your time, but it will be a commitment. Do try your best to be active. Thanks :]

If there are any questions or you think there's a problem with the rules, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm mainly on Showdown! in both the Mafia and Circus Maximus rooms and am also on Discord(my ID is rssp1 #2554). I will be on PS! as rssp1 so feel free to PM me. We will likely have discord servers, so you will benefit greatly from having a discord and being active on it. It will not be necessary, though, as I will also make tribal conversations on smogon. Be wary, however, as these tribal conversations are rarely used over the discords/live chat/private messages.

Signing Up!

I talked about this a little in the FAQ, but this game could take a while depending on how quickly people can get their battles done. Check out the previous two survivor games to get a sense of the commitment required. This game I imagine will be pretty low key, so you don't need to be super active all the time, but in deciding whether or not to sign up, think about whether you'd be able/willing to commit to the game to its conclusion.

Reminder, this game is starting in June. When signing up, be sure that you will be able to keep up some semblance of activity during your stay in the game (For reference, Survivor I ran for around 3 months, and Survivor II ran for around 3 and a half months).

Current Signups:
1. Blazade
2. Hilomilo
3. Hawkie
4. Walrein
5. RODAN
6. Lord Gaius
7. King_
8. Ullar
9. ItzViper482
10. Jalmont
11. Whydon
12. zorbees
13. sparktrain
14. TraceOfLife
15. Reviloja753
16. HeaLnDeaL
17. Animus Majulous
18. PD
19. jas61292
20. DeathByWobbuffet
21. Haruno
22. Memoric
23. MK007
24. OM Room
25. Flyhn
26. shubaka17
27. Myzozoa
28. thetwinmasters
29. Pidge
30. Asek
31. Mikaav
32. Broken Phobias
33. K. Rool
34. Mithril
----
35. Fort Colorcastle

Cohosts/game design helpers:
1. Drew
2. sam-testings
3. Steven Snype

I'll probably keep signups open for the whole month, and start designing the game once nobody signs up for a while (2 days or so)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)