Stunfisk

FLOUNDER, hands down.

The typing is just such a turn off on a defense oriented pokemon. If this was a fast offensive mon, this typing would be fun.

Wait, what is boiling water's burn rate? If it's 30%, I don't think it's reliable enough to make entire sets around.

I have no clue why you guys are calling this guy ugly when he clearly learns attract for a reason...

but seriously, I could see him running bulky choice specs or used in trick room. Not to sure about the second one though as BW is going to bring us so many good TR sweepers.

At first when Melkor announced "Ground/Electric cool stingray Pokemon I was like ~whoohoo!~" and then the fanart came. And I was like "o__O IS THAT A BEAK?"

I've honestly warmed up to it and think it's lovely, awesome Pokemon <3.

Setwise... Ehh, it's hard. It has decent defenses (Swampert level someone said?) and Sand Veil, so it could actually be useful with all those status moves. Unfortunately it's weak to Ice and Grass. Offensive movepool is also pretty cool (Though entirely walled by Quagsire saywut) but the offensive stats leave a bit to be desired.

I'm going to try a defensive set on a sandteam...

i really wanna get in a triple battle with one of these, a dunsparce and a castform they would all look so good together
Every generation except the Fourth brings its own pathetic, floundering (heh), and neverused yet pitiable and heartwarming mess to Pokémon. Kanto totes Farfetech'd, Johto boasts Dunsparce and Delibird, and Hoenn proudly presents Castform and Luvdisc. Isshu compensates for the gap and brings to us Maggyo, the epitome of adorable suck. Is it a pancake with a face? A roadkill owl? A bastardized stingray? Or your typical flounder? Whatever it may be, it will garner a large fanbase dedicated to the empathizing with a Pokémon's plight not through its base stats, but from true love.

Power to the beautiful loser.

As for its competitive viability, I don't have much to say other than that it will make a alright bulky attacker.

SubSplit + Sand Veil set. lol. Substitute + Pain Split + Discharge + Boiling Water with Bright Powder as its item and Sand Veil its ability. Discharge for STAB and paralysis, Boiling Water for coverage and burn rate. I'm not saying it's good, at all, but it would be fun.

Just like Dunsparce or Luvdisc, why did they even bother making him?
Because it's a cool and interesting pokemon. It has perfectly serviceable stats, a neat concept and a simple but fun design. Why do so many people here hate fun and want all pokemon to look more fearsome and majestic? Everything can't be.

Dunsparce is also a cool and interesting pokemon, based on a very beloved creature from Japanese folklore.

Luvdisc has no excuse really.

Luvdisc gave us heartscales.. so we thank him occasionally.

Anyways, while it has decent stats, painsplit and nice status moves, it's typing leaves it with a bunch of common weaknesses, ice, water, ground and grass. Has decent resistances to rock and steel, which was very common 4th gen. I hope it'll get some use though.

I still can't get over how this...thing... cannot 1hit K.O Mantine with T-bolt :/
depressing, at least it has usable defenses and a great HP stat, I can see it being used in the lower tiers.

Ran a damage calculation with a Raichu (base 90 spatk is pretty close to maggyo's base) thunderbolt v mantine. Max spatk raichu can ohko a max hp, max spdef mantine with a boosting nature. Subtracted 25 spatk ev's to compensate for the 5 point stat difference, and still has a possibility to ohko. Needs full spatk ev investment, but it can ohko. You could run Max Hp and Max Spatk to maintain soe bulk and have that ohko against mantine. Besides, Mantine should be a non-issue to serious battlers, it doesn't really get used.

Instead we should worry about whether it can ohko gyarados or something. If it can actually take hits. If anyone knows where I can find a damage calculator with these new pokemon in it I'd do some damage calculations.

Just want to provide specific examples so others don't instantly write him off.

Damage Per Hit: 300 - 352 / 89.8% - 105.4% (Number of Hits: 1)
Critical Hit Chance: 6.3%
Chance to Hit: 99.6%
Base Attack Power: 95

You can breed with Dream World abilities, sorta. Not that this fish thing has any business breeding in the first place
lol, too good.

Really, who came up with the design for this piece of crap? It looks like it was made to look utterly inferior and disgusting on purpose. Well, I guess every franchise needs a few things everyone can hate on together...

Anyway, I think it could be decent passing around status in the lower tiers with boiling water, yawn, discharge, sludge bomb, and pain split, but many of his resistances are used in tandem with something that hits it supereffectively; electric with ice, rock with ground, steel with ground...and yeah, limber on a ground/electric with 32 base Spd is hilarious stuff. Dunsparce is still way cooler though.

Neutral nature with 0 SpAtk EV's does 102.7% - 123.3% to Gyarados.

Check.

Maggyo's really not bad, 109/84/99 defenses compared to Swampert's 100/90/90, they're actually better overall. Unfortunately he's got a few more weaknesses but no 4x, and Static is a much better ability than Torrent, not to mention the fact that he get's stuff like Boiling Water, Thunderwave, Level Ground, Curse, Spark, Revenge and a bunch of other cool moves. Also, I don't know what the move Camouflage does exactly, but it could be useful, or not. I don't know.

The really interesting thing is the fact that it get's pain split. <___<

my favorite part is that he is part ground type, incredibly slow, and gets limber

In all honesty though, thing guy has a lot going for it. It is quite possibly the best static abuser in the game due to high hp and defense and has 99 special defense as well. Plus it has a ridiculous movepool that can also cause status annndd it gets sleep talk which i think is something a lot of pokemon now wish they could have. Definite possibilities with this in my opinion
That's my favorite part too.

I can't think of a use for him...At all.Ground types have always been my least Favorite type of Pokemon, so that doesn't help.

Good offensive typing i guess.

Neutral nature with 0 SpAtk EV's does 102.7% - 123.3% to Gyarados.

Check.

Maggyo's really not bad, 109/84/99 defenses compared to Swampert's 100/90/90, they're actually better overall. Unfortunately he's got a few more weaknesses but no 4x, and Static is a much better ability than Torrent, not to mention the fact that he get's stuff like Boiling Water, Thunderwave, Level Ground, Curse, Spark, Revenge and a bunch of other cool moves. Also, I don't know what the move Camouflage does exactly, but it could be useful, or not. I don't know.

The really interesting thing is the fact that it get's pain split. <___<
Bingo. As long as it can OHKO Gyarados... Mantine is well... Well it's Mantine does anyone use Mantine? (sorry you're still cool mantine<3)

Yeah see, he's really not that terrible. He actually has some potential, he could actually be fairly good! Everyone seems to be giving him the shaft because he's not a 3 headed black dragon or has 500 base attack -_-

Why it has Limber...

No one will ever know.
baby i think you know~

with discharge boiling water earth power and pain split this guy can prove useful
would eletric types come in to absorb its thunderbolt knewing they could be earth powered stabed to hell? would water types risk coming in to surf/ice beam him knewing they could be stabed by thunderbolt/discharge ? will ground types take a chance switching in to earthquack him knowing they could take boiling water in the face hitting there lower sp defence stat and with 30% burn rate ? this guy may give the oponente serius tough about whats going in since he can burn plus paralyze with discharge and boiling water

breh

強いだね
with discharge boiling water earth power and pain split this guy can prove useful
would Grass types come in to absorb its Discharge, Boiling Water, and Earth Power knewing they could wall Maggyo to hell?
Fixed... and to answer that, yes (Just so everybody knows, it doesn't have Ice Beam..)

It's setup fodder for strong grass types with CM (Celebi); Perversity Leaf Storm from Jaroda (if that's how it works) is also a great danger.

Lackluster pokemon is really quite lackluster

Fixed... and to answer that, yes (Just so everybody knows, it doesn't have Ice Beam..)

It's setup fodder for strong grass types with CM (Celebi); Perversity Leaf Storm from Jaroda (if that's how it works) is also a great danger.

Lackluster pokemon is really quite lackluster
every pokemon has a counter this guy conters are grass types but hey you cant cover everything just get a partner with herbivore like the new normal grass wich has megahorn and a base 100 attc and 95 speed plus gets +1 attack from grass types celeby would be ohko from megahorn and jaroda wont get +2 spa boost since it absorbs grass attacks and jaroda maybe be ohkoed by a plus +1 megahorn no?

It has its ups and downs. The typing isn't nice, but the support movepool is pretty good.

Also, another vote for flounder.

So I've been thinking of using this set with SS support

Maggyo @ Brightpowder
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Sand Veil
-Muddy Water
-Pain Split
-Thunderwave
-Thunderbolt

Well, it's hard enough to hit something with Sand Veil and Brightpowder, but what about when you're paralyzed and potentially have your acc dropped by Muddy Water? Not to mention you're losing HP every turn you don't hit this motherfucker thanks to SandStorm. He could be a real pain in the ass. Pain Split is there for some form of recovery and the EV's are set up so that he can take a jolly Garchomp's Earthquake. (But uhh, not LOChomp)

Its not a flounder, there's a fish who lives in really shallow water, basically swiming in sand, who can produce electrical currents and shock you. Don't know its name.

If I'm going to use this thing, its going to be on a HAX team, running a bright powder set. Could provide a really good teammate to Togetic and Jirachi. That's some pretty good synergy right there in fact.

If leads don't end up running entry hazards, you could lead with TTar, switch this guy in at level 1 with a focus sash, and start pain splitting.

Doesn't Focus Sash like... go away forever after it's used? Seems like you'd be better off trying to switch in a lvl 1 ghost on choiced fighting attacks or something and trying the same thing.

Clefairy does it no issue with endevour. Given, Hail works better, and he doesn't have to worry about Rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)