Steelix

Steelix @ Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Autotomize
Iron Tail
Ice Fang
Bulldoze

I need to try this out for myself, it seems pretty cool. Autotomize to bost Speed, enough to outspeed Base 108s, which is everything up to Infernape, which Steelix outspeeds after Autotomize. Ice Fang gets both Sheer Force boost, so does Iron Tail + STAB. But if accuracy may be an issue, Bulldoze can be used for Sheer Force and STAB, plus the bonus of lowering speed.

I'll just wait for it to be released though. Pokemon needs to release the Unova DW Pokemon already, I NEED Shadow Tag Chandelure. HURRY THE FUCK UP NINTENDO.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
But if accuracy may be an issue, Bulldoze can be used for Sheer Force and STAB, plus the bonus of lowering speed.
Sheer force removes bulldoze's ability to lower speed. Not only that, but sheer force boosted bulldoze is still weaker than Earthquake. It's only a 1.3 boost, but let's imagine it was a 1/5 boost instead.

60 x 1.5=90xSTAB=135
Earthquake=100 x STAB = 150

Sheer force removes bulldoze's ability to lower speed. Not only that, but sheer force boosted bulldoze is still weaker than Earthquake. It's only a 1.3 boost, but let's imagine it was a 1/5 boost instead.

60 x 1.5=90xSTAB=135
Sheer Force Bulldoze with LO = 152
Sheer Force Earthquake with LO = 253

The only benefit to using Bulldoze is the lack of LO recoil since Sheer Force negates that when using a Sheer Force boosted move.

60 x 1.5=90xSTAB=135
Oops, forgot about Sheer Force's removal effect. But I took Bulldoze because with Life Orb and 1 HP (from Sturdy), I didn't want to make that Earthquake his last.

If Steelix is at 1 HP, it'll be his last move unless it wins the game! Personally, I wouldn't mind the LO recoil since Steelix should be bulky enough to still take on what it needs to and because with 85 Atk, the extra 43 power looks much better.

Wait a sec, it has Sheer Force and Sturdy at the same time? ;)

Once this is released I am so using Autotomize though.

AW yeaaaah. One of my fav pokemon is back and this gen it seems to be better (sorta). Sheer force with life orb and iron tail is interesting, but why use that when you could use iron head? It sometimes flinches and you don't need to worry about accuracy problems.

AW yeaaaah. One of my fav pokemon is back and this gen it seems to be better (sorta). Sheer force with life orb and iron tail is interesting, but why use that when you could use iron head? It sometimes flinches and you don't need to worry about accuracy problems.
First of all...
a. Sheer Force removes side effects of moves in exchange for a power boost, so Iron Head wouldn't flinch
and b. Iron Head is a Gen IV move tutor move, so it's incompatible with a Dream World ability.

What I meant to say is that iron head has more accuracy. I know that flinch woudn't happen because of sheer force. But I guess it doesn't really matter if it can't use it. iron tail it is then.

Or you can just not use a steel move.

Steelix can use rock slide or fire fang better than a steel move, I imagine. Or maybe even Thunder Fang as it hits water types harder than earthquake.

Well... I don't think you would see a gyarados in RU. Just saying.
You COULD use steelix as a phazer with dragon tail and stealth rock. It's not like it's going to attack first anyway.

Edit: Hmm... Good point Raptorg. The only type weak to steel is rock and even then there are so many water pokemon that iron tail would do zip.

Thats what Im saying, thunder fang is a bad move to carry as EQ hits water about the same (thunder Fang is only a few BP higher with Sheer Force) and doesnt hit flying types harder then Rock Slide. It doesnt really have the use to justify the moveslot.

You COULD use steelix as a phazer with dragon tail and stealth rock. It's not like it's going to attack first anyway.

Edit: Hmm... Good point Raptorg. The only type weak to steel is rock and even then there are so many water pokemon that iron tail would do zip.
And Ice types. I'd imagine many Ice types are banished into lower tiers anyways.

I can't imagine why Steel would be a useful STAB to have in a tier where Hail is the only perma-weather and most Pokemon that benefit from Hail are Ice types... we should just use Fire Fang instead for coverage

/troll

It's why things like Tauros run Return, not for super-effective coverage but strong neutral STAB when you're up against something you don't need your coverage moves for. Iron Tail would smash a lot of Normal- or Fighting-types.

It's why things like Tauros run Return, not for super-effective coverage but strong neutral STAB when you're up against something you don't need your coverage moves for. Iron Tail would smash a lot of Normal- or Fighting-types.
But theres earthquake, it hits almost everything better. What doesn't it hit? Flying, bug, and grass types, all accept grass types, can't take a stone edge. So unless torterra or tangrowth are really bothering you, you don't have any reason to use iron tail.

Earthquake

Edit: ninja'd. By like 15 min. I should really read the whole tread before I post stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abacus
I disagree. I think that Steelix got horribly nerfed this generation. Explosion halved in power, everything got more powerful, heavy bomber is practically useless... only his abilities got any better. Sturdy doesn't seem that useful to me? How are you playing Steelix so that it's at full health? It doesn't have reliable recovery, and it's a tank, so it should be switching into moves... Encourage is the only real buff it got, so I guess it's rock slide is 1.3 times more powerful now, whoopeee. Sorry Steelix :(
I think Sturdy is a great ability on Steelix. I just think people need to look at Steelix from a different perspective before dismissing that ability.

What would happen if you put Explosion on a Sturdy Steelix? The world may never know... or would they??? ;)

But theres earthquake, it hits almost everything better. What doesn't it hit? Flying, bug, and grass types, all accept grass types, can't take a stone edge. So unless torterra or tangrowth are really bothering you, you don't have any reason to use iron tail.
Flying, bug, and grass are all neutral to Iron Tail, further supporting the previous point.

Flying, bug, and grass are all neutral to Iron Tail, further supporting the previous point.
No, he's saying to pair EQ with Stone Edge, which takes care of the Bug and Flying Pokémon better than Iron Tail. Just an overall better STAB move than Iron Tail with a better offensive type.

Stone edge does more to bug and flying types then nuetral stab iron tail. So iron tail only wins out against grass types, and many grass types, because of there typing, are nuetral to earthquake or resistant against steel.

What would happen if you put Explosion on a Sturdy Steelix? The world may never know... or would they??? ;)
Too bad the power got nerfed this gen, I was really wanting to try out some variant of the Gen IV Passho BOOM Steelix to kill bulky waters. Except that now, you don't need the Passho with Sturdy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)