Starless Sky

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I tried my hand at a landscape and, in keeping with D_What's advice about being restrictive being helpful, I only used 2 brushes and the eraser tool for this piece. For posterity, the two brushes were Corel Painter's "Coarse Smear Blender Jitter" and "Real Oils Filbert." It's also really large, so it's in hide tags.

EDIT: Oh My Gosh!!! I'm finally on my second page!

Checking out your art thread like I promised to!

That Cutiefly illustration!! oAo I happened to see it a few weeks ago while browsing references for the Sun/Moon sprite project. It's so cute! I adore the yellow monochrome and the composition... e.g., the bright foreground and pale background, how one of them is looking up while the other is looking down, and the way that the trees provide balance and symmetry.

There's a good sense of form and colour in your works. One quick tip I can suggest is try to avoid using textured brushes. They're kind of gimmicky, and I can't think of any artists who recommend them for general use. Using a round, default brush could help you develop your painting technique, as you can't rely on presets to achieve texture.

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Now that this article has been released, I can post this. I also updated the OP. n_n This was the first time I made a gif too.
output_MWEwh6.gif

princessofmusic said:
Checking out your art thread like I promised to!

That Cutiefly illustration!! oAo I happened to see it a few weeks ago while browsing references for the Sun/Moon sprite project. It's so cute! I adore the yellow monochrome and the composition... e.g., the bright foreground and pale background, how one of them is looking up while the other is looking down, and the way that the trees provide balance and symmetry.

There's a good sense of form and colour in your works. One quick tip I can suggest is try to avoid using textured brushes. They're kind of gimmicky, and I can't think of any artists who recommend them for general use. Using a round, default brush could help you develop your painting technique, as you can't rely on presets to achieve texture.
I know I responded to you through PM, but every time someone posts something in my art thread I feel compelled to at least acknowledge it. Thank you again for your advice. I've really been trying out avoiding textured brushes. Thank you also for your kind words about the Cutiefly illustration as well. I did that without references though, so it's super inaccurate regarding Cutiefly's design. I'm glad you like it though. n_n

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
Time for a small update! First, heres a banner I did for Grains of Salt's OM Mix and Mega, which was also the Other Metagame of the Month! It may undergo some changes soon.
Pixi Entei.recolour.resized.png
I also have a thing for the recently bumped Battle Free For All:
freeforall.fin.png
The above image was fun, but it was done in like 20 minutes so a number of flaws about it are really bothering me. Maybe I'll fix it up into an actual piece?
The last thing here is my MAC entry:
Day & Night.touchedupmore.png
This was done after replaying Pokemon Colosseum, which, I think, is one of the best Pokemon games (though I know many would disagree). n_n I'll update the OP soon.

That fading color, wow. While each is nice in their own regard I'd consider hanging the Fletchinder painting as a cover-up for the entirety of an entire art room wall.

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
It's been a while since I updated this, so... Here. We. Go:

These two are for FB:
Manaphy.onround.png Lucario-M.png
This was my icon for the latest edition of JAPE, where I'm a panelist! Read it!
icon.contrast.png
And this is a sprite for UB-01 that I've been working on. A specific person, who I'm uncertain of whether or not they want to be named, has been giving me pointers. Thank you to you!
UB - 01 v. 2.png

Jordanious said:
That fading color, wow. While each is nice in their own regard I'd consider hanging the Fletchinder painting as a cover-up for the entirety of an entire art room wall.
I'd been meaning to reply to this. Thank you very much. That's very nice of you to say. The author was pretty specific on what they wanted for that piece so working within those restrictions probably helped it overall. n_n

Last edited:

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
Okay. It's time for a big update, which also happens to be my 151st post. Even though 151 might be a small number compared 500 or 1000, I want to give gifts to some awesome people, and shoutouts to all the other amazing people who've made me welcome and have been an integral part of any improvement I've had as an artist and as a person here (well, I hope I've made some improvements anyway). So...
Here. We. Go:
Mew+moreprogress.png

First, I have a mew sprite that I've been working on. It's mostly here because I needed a Mew reference for my 151st post and I didn't want to wait until October 7th to post this (which is when a certain piece of art is released...). Directly below this paragraph, I have a gift for my awesome French tutor, spriting coach (she's literally the only reason the above sprite isn't hideous), and friend: princessofmusic.
Sopranofin.png
btw, I will respond to your PM soon! n_n
The next image here is a gift for anto, who has been incredibly wonderful and helpful to me ever since I started doing art for the FP. Thank you for letting me bother you so much, answering all my stupid questions, teaching me how to use PS, and also for um... letting me know it was okay to mass tag all these people. :> I hope you like it.
Rapidashfin.png
Next, I have a little gift for Cretacerus. I told you I would do it, and now I have. :>
Cranibone.png
The last "gift" (which was more of a request...) I have is for nv. Thank you for letting me bother you all those times I did (and will continue to do). Let me know if you're satisfied with your request, btw.
F+L.png

Okay! Now for shoutouts! I guess I first should be for Tikitik, who was the first person to comment on my art thread and was also super helpful in helping me navigate Media HQ, and Bummer, who first approved me as an artist and subsequently nominated me for the Artist badge (which I still look at every day and marvel at the fact I have it). It also seems prudent to give a shoutout to D_what, who was the first person to provide criticism here that I really felt help me improve as an artist. I also feel like I owe shoutouts to both Jackii and fx, who've both been amazingly lovely people to me (btw, fx, I was planning a gift for you as well, but haven't finished it yet. I will get to it soon. I promise!). Another person deserving of a shoutout, I think, is Infamy, who was the first person to actually request art from me. Also in need of shoutouts are Reigaheres and aXl, who were some of the first people I interacted with here when I participated in WAC (which, btw, is that ever going to happen again?). Legofigure11 is also in need of a shoutout, I believe. Thank you for helping me out with the text issue that one time and being super lovely the rest. :> I also feel as though I ought to acknowledge the people, even though we may not have interacted all that much, who have said things about my art that really meant a lot to me: wishes, antemortem, Take Azelfie, vzxt, Integer Mova, and ChrystalFalchion. I'm sure there are so many more people in need of recognition, but I'm typing this quickly and my memory is failing me. If I forgot you and you feel like you should be in this list, I'll include you as soon as I can. At any rate, I wish I had the time to make everyone I mentioned a gift. Perhaps I'll get around to it someday. :) Also, if you feel it's odd I tagged you because we don't really know eachother, I just wanted to give you a shoutout because I feel some amount of gratitude toward you for whatever reason.

At any rate, here is the some FP stuff:
Porygon+azu.png Porygon.png
This one is for Kris and baconbagon's article:
(BAN ME PLEASE): A Look Back at the Bans in STABmons. The image on the right is a previous version that didn't go into the article because Skiploom is apparently not terribly good in STABmons...
Next, I've also got this image:
ftf.png
This one is for Dream Eater Gengar's article on 1 v. 1. Read it!
Next up is an image I did for erisia's article: Paint the Town Red: A Retrospective on Smeargle.
smeargle.2.png
Finally, I've got an image I'm particularly proud of for ChrystalFalchion's article on one of my favorite mons: Suicune! Go Read it!
Suicune.edit2.png

Okay, I lied when I said finally. I actually have one more thing I did for FB.
Roserade.png
I think that's about it for now. I hope everyone I tagged knows how grateful I am to them. n_n​

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Make sure to tag me for your .152k post too!

Nah but for serious your art is fantastic and I loved the comments your Smeargle work got on Facebook. Would you possibly be able to make me a neat Claydol avatar? Like the interview style ones? Those look great too.

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
Make sure to tag me for your .152k post too!

Nah but for serious your art is fantastic and I loved the comments your Smeargle work got on Facebook. Would you possibly be able to make me a neat Claydol avatar? Like the interview style ones? Those look great too.
Ah! I'm so glad I can post freely now. I've been trying to keep my post count down until I had the time to finish all the gifts above. lol
At any rate, I would love to do your request, the interview style avatars are always fun, quick, little projects for me (and I can work on them between classes). :>

Those Altaria wings are gorgeous!! I'm undeserving ;A; It's so thoughtful of you to make gifts for others, considering how much time they must've taken, and I appreciate mine very much. I'm happy that you've enjoyed your time on Smogon so far.

I'm liking how sleek and serene Suicune looks as well as the spectacular colours and shading/highlighting on Roserade. also rofl @ ban hammer pics

Thanks for the shout! I'm glad that I was able to point a dedicated artist such as you towards SFP's humble art department. Your art has been improving with every article you illustrated for us, so it's definitely been great following your work so far. ^^

Kudos on taking the time to actually make all those gifts, love the altaria

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The last "gift" (which was more of a request...) I have is for nv. Thank you for letting me bother you all those times I did (and will continue to do). Let me know if you're satisfied with your request, btw.
This looks amazing (just like every other piece you do) and I am glad I made it on the list of "people to give gifts to" because I have to say you are definitely one of my favorites from the "newer" batch of artists and it is nice to see you become an integral part of Smogon and PS! (I will teach you OMs and you will get good one day young Padawan lol)

Overall I am very happy with the picture and I am glad to see you aren't slowing down any time soon. Congrats on 151 posts! n_n

P.S. I am.very stoked about you doing sprite work and I cannot wait to see how you progress. Sprite thread when? :^]

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
!!! I feel excited and happy for you and thank you for the wonderful words ^^ I respect you a great deal as both a friend and an artist so this really means a lot to me! Your art has improved so much and it's wonderful to see you experimenting so much (that of which i can relate ;;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)