SPOILERS! Stakataka

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'd just like to point out that Stakataka was speculated to be a No Offense All Defense Tank before the stats were revealed, but now we're thinking of nothing but offense to the point of being tempted by -Def Nature.

By the way, what are Gyro Ball Speed calcs for Level 50? I'm thinking this guy might be fun to unleash on the Battle Tree.

Im not to sure how you did your Gyro Ball base power calculations, but according to the damage calc, at level 100, to be hit by a full power (150 bp) Gyro Ball, you have to be uninvested (no evs + max ivs) neutral nature (not speed boosting/decreasing) base 63 or above, or hitting 162 speed points or above.

Base 58 Spe with negative nature and 0IVs hits 108 speed points, and according to the calc is hit by only a base power 100 Gyro Ball.

This means neutral Amoonguss is hit by a base power 88 Gyro Ball

Base 50s neutral are hit by 125bp Gyros

Base 40s neutral are hit by 96bp Gyros

252+ Atk Probopass Gyro Ball (88 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 169-201 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

The best checks in Ou will be M.Scizor, Celesteela, Phys Def Tangrowth, with Stone Edge, the super reliable move, being best to hit them.

252+ Atk Life Orb Probopass Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 134-160 (39 - 46.6%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Probopass Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 185-218 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Probopass Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 149-177 (36.9 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Since Steel is not the best offensive typing in Ou, with Steel being the most common typing, I think this will be quite susceptible to being pivoted around on, being worn down through life orb, and Tr turns wasted. Ferro can also bait out a Superpower, which can leave Stakataka severally weakened. However, if prediction game is on point, this thing can be truly terrifying and can tear up offence teams with relative ease I imagine
Umm Were you calculating using Brave and a 0 Speed IV? Because the formula for Gyro Ball's BP is:

Base Power = 25 × (Target's Current Speed / User's Current Speed) (150 is the cap)

This means that, with Stakataka hitting a Speed of 27 at Level 100 when at Min Speed, anything with a Speed of 135 (so uninvested neutral 50's) or higher should be hit for max damage. At Level 50, Stakataka bottoms out at 16, so anything with a Speed of 80 (uninvested neutral 60's) or higher will be hit for max damage.

Umm Were you calculating using Brave and a 0 Speed IV? Because the formula for Gyro Ball's BP is:

Base Power = 25 × (Target's Current Speed / User's Current Speed) (150 is the cap)

This means that, with Stakataka hitting a Speed of 27 at Level 100 when at Min Speed, anything with a Speed of 135 (so uninvested neutral 50's) or higher should be hit for max damage. At Level 50, Stakataka bottoms out at 16, so anything with a Speed of 80 (uninvested neutral 60's) or higher will be hit for max damage.

25*(158/27)=146.296296296

The Calc complies with the formula,

and re-working the formula, where x=minimum base speed of target for 150 base power,

25*(x/27)=150
(divide both sides by 25)
x/27=150/25
(Multiply both sides by 27)
x=(150/25)*27=162

like i said, idk what calcs other people be doin

Last edited:
Im not to sure how you did your Gyro Ball base power calculations, but according to the damage calc, at level 100, to be hit by a full power (150 bp) Gyro Ball, you have to be uninvested (no evs + max ivs) neutral nature (not speed boosting/decreasing) base 63 or above, or hitting 162 speed points or above.

Base 58 Spe with negative nature and 0IVs hits 108 speed points, and according to the calc is hit by only a base power 100 Gyro Ball.

This means neutral Amoonguss is hit by a base power 88 Gyro Ball

Base 50s neutral are hit by 125bp Gyros

Base 40s neutral are hit by 96bp Gyros

252+ Atk Probopass Gyro Ball (88 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 169-201 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

The best checks in Ou will be M.Scizor, Celesteela, Phys Def Tangrowth, with Stone Edge, the super reliable move, being best to hit them.

252+ Atk Life Orb Probopass Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 134-160 (39 - 46.6%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Probopass Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 185-218 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Probopass Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 149-177 (36.9 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Since Steel is not the best offensive typing in Ou, with Steel being the most common typing, I think this will be quite susceptible to being pivoted around on, being worn down through life orb, and Tr turns wasted. Ferro can also bait out a Superpower, which can leave Stakataka severally weakened. However, if prediction game is on point, this thing can be truly terrifying and can tear up offence teams with relative ease I imagine
I'm sorry man, I thought Gyro Ball had fix power depending on opposing Spe

What's the difference in power like for gyros coming from a -spe vs a -def stakataka?
Both spreads are running 0 Speed IVs

252+ Atk Lonely Bastiodon Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 162-192 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Brave Bastiodon Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 162-192 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Against max invested 50s, Lonely has the same power

252+ Atk Lonely Bastiodon Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 432-510 (143.5 - 169.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Brave Bastiodon Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 432-510 (143.5 - 169.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Same for max base 45s.

252+ Atk Lonely Bastiodon Gyro Ball (144 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 296-350 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Brave Bastiodon Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 308-366 (87.7 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Overall Brave is stronger on anything with under 180 Speed. However, it also means that Beast Boost will boost Defence, so I still think Lonely is the better choice, so you can get an Attack boost with Beast Boost.

What's the difference in power like for gyros coming from a -spe vs a -def stakataka?
Lonely 31 IVs → 62 Spe
Brave 0 IVs → 27 Spe

So for having 150 BP Gyro Ball, opponent must be:

Lonely 0 IVs)
25*(x/31)=150
x/31=150/25
x=(150/25)*=186 (aka base 75 Spe, uninvested, neutral)

Brave 0 IVs)
25*(x/27)=150
x/27=150/25
x=(150/25)*27=162 (aka just a bit below 65 Spe, uninvested, neutral; base 63 Spe, univested, neutral, to be precise)

Last edited:
Lonely 31 IVs → 62 Spe
Brave 0 IVs → 27 Spe

So for having 150 BP Gyro Ball, opponent must be:

Lonely 31 IVs)
25*(x/62)=150
x/62=150/25
x=(150/25)*62=372 (aka base 120 Spe, 252 EVs, positive)

Brave 0 IVs)
25*(x/27)=150
x/27=150/25
x=(150/25)*27=162 (aka just a bit below 65 Spe, uninvested, neutral; base 63 Spe, univested, neutral, to be precise)
Why 31 IVs on Speed? You will always want to have 0 IVs to power up Gyro Ball and because Stakataka is not going to outspeed anything.

With a Lonely nature, Gyro Ball has maximum Base Power against opponents with at least 186 Speed, which means uninvested Base 75.

Why 31 IVs on Speed? You will always want to have 0 IVs to power up Gyro Ball and because Stakataka is not going to outspeed anything.

With a Lonely nature, Gyro Ball has maximum Base Power against opponents with at least 186 Speed, which means uninvested Base 75.
fixed

I wonder if GF even thought before giving this thing this insane physical defense. Wish this thing got Curse
Chances are:
- they put all the stats and forgot Def, so they pumped 211 in it;
- they said "ok we want it to be tanky, just fuck the other stats it must be all D E F E N S E.

Curse Stakataka no, pls.
It already gets a +1 Def for each kill, going +1 Atk/Def and -1 Spe would have been something crazy; you're already slow, do you wanna hit Amoonguss with 150 Gyro Ball?!

I wonder if GF even thought before giving this thing this insane physical defense. Wish this thing got Curse
It is quite evident that the insane def is specifically to allow it to facetank the non-mega stabs Earthquakes and Close combats / Super powers. If it didn't have the 200+ defense, it'd basically end up being just another Shieldon or Aggron.

I'd just like to point out that Stakataka was speculated to be a No Offense All Defense Tank before the stats were revealed, but now we're thinking of nothing but offense to the point of being tempted by -Def Nature.

By the way, what are Gyro Ball Speed calcs for Level 50? I'm thinking this guy might be fun to unleash on the Battle Tree.
Just popping by to mention that I've speculated several times that stakataka could have had high attack and I was right there :P

As far as Tree goes, both me and Repto already took dibs on the insane potential of this stuff.

EXPECIALLY skillswapping with the likes of scrafty/incineroar (give them BB and activate another proc of intimidate) or skill swap Levitate from say, Vikavolt, giving it BB as well.
Skill Swap / Trick Room / Gyro Ball / pick one between Protect, Wide Guard, coverage, somethign on those lines.

As far as Gyro ball goes, consider that entire tree (well, the relevant part) has 31 IV speed, even on -speed natures, so Gyro ball is a near guaranteed 120+ BP all time.

Ugghh, why is this thing Rock/Steel? That's such a terrible typing. :/ I feel like making it Ghost/Rock would have been pretty awesome, and a better typing than Rock/Steel. Even with its' Defense stat through the roof, it's still gonna get pounded on by Ground and Fighting types. :/ Have to admit though, its' design is pretty cool at least. With how it looks, it almost screams Ghost type. The first time I saw Stakataka, I thought it was a Ghost.

Ugghh, why is this thing Rock/Steel? That's such a terrible typing. :/ I feel like making it Ghost/Rock would have been pretty awesome, and a better typing than Rock/Steel. Even with its' Defense stat through the roof, it's still gonna get pounded on by Ground and Fighting types. :/ Have to admit though, its' design is pretty cool at least. With how it looks, it almost screams Ghost type. The first time I saw Stakataka, I thought it was a Ghost.
Only problem then is now Gyro Ball doesn't get STAB

Only problem then is now Gyro Ball doesn't get STAB
Exactly. Also, what powerful Ghost STAB would it even get? Shadow Claw and Shadow Bone don't fit, so that leaves a more mediocre option with Phantom Force. STAB Shadow Sneak could be nice, but Gyro Ball + Stone Edge or Rock Blast/Slide is a combo that I think is far more worthwhile.

I mean, I get why people are hating on Stakataka's Typing, but they need to remember that while it's literally a wall, that's not how it will be used. It's going to be played as a TR Sweeper, so they need to think of its Typing offensively, not defensively.

Exactly. Also, what powerful Ghost STAB would it even get? Shadow Claw and Shadow Bone don't fit, so that leaves a more mediocre option with Phantom Force. STAB Shadow Sneak could be nice, but Gyro Ball + Stone Edge or Rock Blast/Slide is a combo that I think is far more worthwhile.

I mean, I get why people are hating on Stakataka's Typing, but they need to remember that while it's literally a wall, that's not how it will be used. It's going to be played as a TR Sweeper, so they need to think of its Typing offensively, not defensively.
Hmmm, true enough! It just looks like it would be a wall, since it's a living pile of bricks. But a STAB Gyro Ball coming from base 131 attack and being from a base 13 speed means it should hit like a tank against most everything due to how Gyro Ball classifies damage, except for maybe opposing Stakataka. And wow that name is awesome to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)