Speedrunning

Speedrunning is the intention of completing a game as fast as possible. Over the last little while, the speed running community has really grown quite large, coinciding with dedicated streaming services (twitch), and an improved method of organizing the community as a whole (speedrunslive).

There are three main ways in which games are usually run -

RTA (real time attack)/single segment - these two terms are used essentially interchangeably in the speedrunning community, where the runner sits down and plays the game in one sitting using real time from the decided cutoff points (usually start file to lose character control). There's some debate over whether save + quit is considered single segment, but the term has been used quite loosely recently. This is generally the most common way games are run.

Multiple segment - The run is composed of multiple segments, usually split up by save points. The runner will usually replay each segment until satisfied with the time, and then "stitch" them together.

Tool assisted speedrun (TAS) - the run is played with the help of specific tools and usually advanced frame by frame in order to manipulate RNG and for frame perfect tricks, greatly improving the time.

Not mentioned previously is the type of completion that the runner wishes to achieve. Most commonly run are any% and 100%, where any% is complete the game as fast as possible and 100% is "specified full completion". While in some games, it may be obvious (Super Mario 64, gather all 120 stars), other games have slightly arbitrary definitions for 100% completion (in Ocarina of Time, you don't need to collect any dungeon map or compass). Depending on the game, however, there are other completion goals that can be achieved. Ocarina of Time, for example, has a category called Medallions, Stones, and Trials, in which the runner has to collect every medallion, stone, and complete Ganon's trials while finishing the game.

Of note in the speedrunning community are the races. Races are RTAs that are done by multiple users competing for the best time, and can have any arbitrary completion goal depending on the game.

The only specific way in which races differentiate from running is the potential for bingo, in which a a bingo sheet is randomly generated with 25 different goals, and the runners race to complete a row, column, or diagonal.

My personal favourite part of the speedrunning community is the marathons. Two major ones are happening quite soon, with ESA (European Speedster Assembly - see schedule here http://europeanspeedsterassembly.com/#schedule) and SDGQ (Summer Games Done Quick - http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule). Both of these marathons work towards gaining money for charitable causes, and have done great work in the past (for example, Awesome Games Done Quick 2013 raised almost 450,000 dollars for the Prevent Cancer foundation).

If anyone wants to get started, here are a few streamers who are really great at their game. If you don't find anything interesting there, check out speedrunslive.com, where pretty much every game you can possibly imagine will be streamed at one point or another.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright - Windwaker
http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic - Super Mario 64
http://www.twitch.tv/nedeahs - Ocarina of Time
http://www.twitch.tv/ennopp112 - Majora's Mask
http://www.twitch.tv/werster - all of pokemon

Lastly, if anyone is interested in racing even casually, a few of us have started racing games over Skype and IRC, even at varying skill levels. We're hoping to get more people around, so if anyone is interested, feel free to join us at #speedrunraces at synirc.net or post any ideas for potential games/times in this thread. If there's a game that you think anyone outside of yourself owns, don't be hesitant to throw the idea out there!

Planned Races:
??

Previous Races:
July 10th - Super Mario 64 (70 Star beat Bowser)
moi: sux
Walrein: 2:38:20.0

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Currently in for Super Mario 64:
moi
Walrein

We haven't started yet, so it's not too late!

i'm curious - do speedruns involving the exploitation of glitches have any notable recognition in the speedrunning community? they were not mentioned in the op, but i've seen some really incredible speedruns of games like ocarina of time and super mario 64 [tool-assisted or otherwise], and i was wondering if there was any real acknowledgement of them or if they were simply a fun pastime.

i'm curious - do speedruns involving the exploitation of glitches have any notable recognition in the speedrunning community? they were not mentioned in the op, but i've seen some really incredible speedruns of games like ocarina of time and super mario 64 [tool-assisted or otherwise], and i was wondering if there was any real acknowledgement of them or if they were simply a fun pastime.

Yup - completion of the game as quickly as possible while doing certain goals raises no limitations on exploitation of bugs or faulty design

ps - OP does link SRL :P

There are a few speedrun communities that do glitchless speedruns. The community will decide what and what isn't a glitch.

Pokemon runs are glitchless almost always, with some random exceptions like the save manipulating Yellow run (beats game with 0:00 on game clock). There are some glitchless OoT runs as well.

Also, the OP should link http://speedrunslive.com/ It's a great tool to see what speedrun streams are going currently, and you can find some more obscure games if you scroll past more of the big names. You can also use it to join races if you'd like.

[/viralmarketing]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've never done any myself, but I've watched a couple and when they're done well, it's almost beautiful to watch people soar through a game.

My favorites to see would have to be Super Metroid and Half-Life

i love watching speedruns, but im pretty shit. if nothing good is on twitch i have a few streams i like to fall back on (cosmo mostly, but werster and siggy sometimes too). i do love the marathons though, and generally have them streaming constantly- and with it being summer and all i can watch the shit out of ESA and SGDQ.

that being said, i am starting to believe races are the future of speedrunning. i liken it to swimming or running- if you get a wr by yourself no one really cares and it probably wont count, competition is where the competitors prove themselves. in addition it is simply more exciting. i do love the streams, dont get me wrong, but sitting for 4-5 hours watching a runner fail to get a run lasting more than an hour gets boring, no matter how personable they are. on the other in races you almost never see a reset, and it really rewards skill, as opposed to the current system, in which time available to grind out runs is a huge factor. one of the reasons i have started to watch more esports is that you can watch hours of streaming and see not a single record. i watched many streams play many games and probably witnessed less than 10 WRs. i believe the sunday sequence break is doing competition now, but i would like to see more "vanilla" competition- that is, no gimmicks the SSB where they players have to pick up a game quickly, instead its the best players at Super Mario 64 duking it out, in either a head to head bracket, or a massive race, or other formats. i know if i could count on a weekly SM64 or OOT race/league kinda thing i would love it. again the 'seasons' program SRL implemented was a step forward but the races are not scheduled ahead of time (save for special stuff like saturday bingo). again a proper league would be really neat.

minor rant over, i would like to see if people agree/disagree with my thoughts.

also i have a few more streams to watch, but just cleared my history and most people arent streaming right now so i dont know the exact names, but there are a few great streams which i would recommend and will edit in tomorrow or something

Ampharos

Super Mario 64 is over. moi quit after 48 stars due to technical issues causing him to fall behind, while i finished in 2:38:20.0

If you think you can do it faster than me, feel free to run it yourself and post your own time! (you'll probably do it faster than me I suck at sm64)

Edit: The run in question was a 70 star, glitchless, beat Bowser run.

this is not knowing directly but I know Mekkah said he enjoys running pokemon games and that him and Taylor did so frequently with Orange Islands so I'll bug him about it later

FrankerZ aside, there's a good chance some form of Super Mario Sunshine will be played later tonight, if anyone wants to join in on #speedrunraces on IRC

ESA has started! Looking forward to the whole week, but especially these games.

Mario Kart Wii
Half Life 2
GTA: SA
Batman: Arkham City

I noticed they had a bonus stream- this better not end up like the Easter one where it was basically a week of bad streaming, hopefully they manage to make sure it is still fairly well run/professional

While I don't speedrun anything seriously, I watch a bunch of speedrun streams pretty regularly.

I've also streamed a few Pokemon randomizer races, which is equal parts stressful and awesome.

Also everyone should go watch ESA at http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi because it's awesome.

Ampharos

moi and I are getting pretty lonely with all of our 1v1 races, come on down to #speedrunraces on SynIRC if you wanna play some games with us! We currently have plans to do Luigi's Mansion (again) sometime tomorrow, with the potential for games such as Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and Wind Waker in the future

Reactions: moi

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I remember a time when little Walrein couldn't even explain to his family that he had made commitments to play Dungeons and Dragons for a few hours. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that conversation, "No mom I can't take out the garbage right now, I'm racing a video game!"

Ampharos

No, they're still uncompromising. I just have a ridiculous amount of free time during the summer.

houndoomsday there are better ways to passive-aggressively insult me than liking every post that insults me, just sayin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)