Solgaleo Discussion

As far as I'm aware, Solgaleo enters its Radiant Sun phase only when using Sunsteel Strike.

It's more of a flavor thing than anything else. Still looks awesome, though.
It enters it as a story element aswell. I won't detail how or why because spoilers. But it doesn't have any in-battle effect.

Is there a consensus for the preferred nature on this thing. It's attack stat isn't overwhelming with Jolly so I'm thinking Adamant will be the staple. Also, has anyone come up with more interesting sets? I'm thinking a tank build might be prominent...it's a guaranteed OHKO on GeoXern before stealth rock.

Solgaleo @ Iron Plate
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge (For Ho-Oh & other flyers)
- Morning Sun/Wild Charge/Crunch/Roar

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the thread has been a bit remiss RE: Ubers that Solgaleo has a great speed tier and HP Massive enough to use Metal Burst viably. Attack Solgaleo at your own risk. Even if Solgaleo has the stats to go more offensive or defensive, Metal Burst can heavily punish any attack that doesn't outright KO, and it can Morning Sun right back to good health after it removes the biggest threats.

I think the thread has been a bit remiss RE: Ubers that Solgaleo has a great speed tier and HP Massive enough to use Metal Burst viably. Attack Solgaleo at your own risk. Even if Solgaleo has the stats to go more offensive or defensive, Metal Burst can heavily punish any attack that doesn't outright KO, and it can Morning Sun right back to good health after it removes the biggest threats.
Good point, but that player has less incentive to go Jolly and/or run speed IVs if using metal burst right? You have to be slower than the opponent for it to work.

I hoped for 100 speed to outspeed xern, but this is will work too. I could thake a sucker punch of yveltal and 2HKO with Sunsteel Strike, ofc he is xern check and can hit ho-oh with stone edge. I think that scarf could be a solid set.

What's interesting is that it gets Splash via Cosmog, and as a Z Move Splash boosts the user's Attack 3 stages (physical Tail Glow basically). So I'm thinking

Solgaleo @ Normal Z Chrystal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Splash
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Wild Charge

Splash gives you +3 attack, Sunsteel Strike is the main STAB. Earthquake hits Fire and opposing Steel types. Stone Edge hits Ho-Oh, Lugia and defensive Yveltal; Wild Charge lets you hit bulky Water types while still retaining coverage on Ho-Oh and Yveltal. The EVs let you outrun uninvested Xerneas and Yveltal, with max attack and the rest in HP for bulk. This is what it can do at +3:

+3 252+ Atk Solgaleo Sunsteel Strike vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 348-409 (76.4 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ Atk Solgaleo Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 464-546 (101.9 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252+ Atk Solgaleo Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Lugia: 307-363 (73.7 - 87.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ Atk Solgaleo Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Primal Groudon: 410-484 (101.7 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252+ Atk Solgaleo Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Arceus-Water: 370-436 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Is there anything relevant that may incentivize it to go mixed or fully special as a gimmick? 113 SpA isn't that bad and it learns a few good special moves like Fire Blast and Thunder (maybe if you wanted to use it in the rain?). Work Up may also help with this...

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there anything relevant that may incentivize it to go mixed or fully special as a gimmick? 113 SpA isn't that bad and it learns a few good special moves like Fire Blast and Thunder (maybe if you wanted to use it in the rain?). Work Up may also help with this...
In an OU environment, I can see it making use of SubCM ala Jirachi due to that humongous GP stat, for just forgo Sub and do CM + three attack w/ Life Orb. That, though, would be a waste of that shiny Attack stat; if you want the best of both worlds, do what Mega Metagross can't and use a mixed set since it gets Fire Blast and Thunder for specific Steel/Psychic resists. I could actually see that working.

Now, if we're talking Ubers (and I HIGHLY believe will be instabanned for reasons Ash Borer stated earlier), Solgaleo probably has no time to use silly tricks like CM and get right into attacking. Again, a mixed set w/ Recover might work, but it prefers tanking in that tier.

So without any story spoilers, what is the whole point of the Radiant Sun form Solgaleo takes on when it performs a certain attack? Does it boost anything? How you activate it?

So without any story spoilers, what is the whole point of the Radiant Sun form Solgaleo takes on when it performs a certain attack? Does it boost anything? How you activate it?
It is purely a story plot point that also comes up visually when Sunsteel Strike is used. No in battle effect.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Sees Cosmog's stats and movepool* I'm going to guess this is why people are saying you'll want the EXP Share on. However the end results are looking worth it...

High HP and Attack, good Special Attack, nice bulk, its just the Speed that's a shame for not reaching that 100 benchmark. Though compared to other Legendaries you can do worse.

STABs with Sunsteel Strike (or Iron Head if you don't want the low PP) & Zen Headbutt; other Physical moves are Crunch, Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, and Wild Charge; if you go for mix its Specials are Flash Cannon, Psyshock/Psychic, Thunderbolt/Thunder, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, and Snarl. Finally utilities are Cosmic Power, Morning Sun, Noble Roar, Wide Guard, Work Up, dual screens, and Thunder Wave.

Solgaleo has what it needs for going all out, well aside for something to increase its speed (aside from Flame Charge, though I was thinking something like Autotomize).

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
FYI from talking with Fireburn and my other Uber pals, there is incentive for Solgaleo to go mixed: It could use Thunder / Thunderbolt to hit Water Arceus much harder or something like that. I imagine that otherwise, Water Arceus is gonna be an issue for Solgaleo since it can just Will-O-Wisp it.

Also with all the crazy theorizing about how powerful Tapu Lele + Deoxys-A is gonna be this gen in Ubers, that 4x Psychic resist might actually be a blessing!

How about a Choice Band set!?

Solgaleo @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- Stone Edge / Flare Blitz

- 244 speed EV's give Solgaleo a 291 Spe stat and lets it outspeed Bulky Arceus Water by 1 point
- Flare Blitz for opposing rare Ferro's

252+ Atk Choice Band Solgaleo Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Arceus-Water: 222-262 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Solgaleo Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 216-256 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Solgaleo Sunsteel Strike vs. 0 HP / 248 Def Giratina-O: 222-262 (50.3 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Solgaleo Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 368-434 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Solgaleo Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Primal Kyogre: 260-308 (64.5 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Solgaleo Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 278-328 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Fullmetal Alchemist Pokemon.png
Solgaleo looks very, very interesting as a 'mon. Between it's access to Z-Splash via Cosmog, it's super cool 4x resistance to Psychic, it's 2x resistance to fairy, it's incredible stat spread and a number of really useful moves including Sunsteel Strike, Morning Sun (benefits from it baiting out Primal Groudon), Flare Blitz, Calm Mind, dual screens, Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Thunder Wave, Flash Cannon, Psyshock, Psychic, Zen Headbutt, Focus Blast, Stone Edge and probably more stuff I missed in my quick skim, I can see this thing being a top-tier 'mon. It is faster than Primal Groudon, meaning that it can boost up with Z-Splash on the turn it comes in and then nail it with Earthquake, and with it's high bulk and great defensive typing it is not only able to put the core Theorymon mentioned in-check, but it is also a good means of putting stuff like Xerneas and Dragon-types in check. I can see this thing having huge amounts of utility on a lot of teams tbh.

Solgaleo @ Normallum Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Splash
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz / Zen Headbutt / Wild Charge

Solgaleo @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Morning Sun
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Solgaleo @ Leftovers / Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe or some balanced spread
Timid / Bold Nature
- Substitute / Morning Sun
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun / Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Solgaleo @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe OR a fatter spread
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Morning Sun
- Sunsteel Strike / Iron Head

Solgaleo @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Zen Headbutt / Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Solgaleo @ Life Orb
EVs: Some mixed spread
+offense -defense
- Sunsteel Strike
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
There's probably more too but I'm too lazy to think them up rn. Point is it's good.

Martin regarding the Splash set, do you think going max HP and swapping coverage for Morning Sun would also work, or would it be better to just go your route and try and blitzkrieg everything before you die?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Martin regarding the Splash set, do you think going max HP and swapping coverage for Morning Sun would also work, or would it be better to just go your route and try and blitzkrieg everything before you die?
I think you're probably better off with max speed. Solgaleo is very bulky as is, and losing out on the ability to outpace Primal Groudon is pretty painful to say the least.

I think you're probably better off with max speed. Solgaleo is very bulky as is, and losing out on the ability to outpace Primal Groudon is pretty painful to say the least.
Primal Groudon almost never runs full Speed, the most it usually runs is 84 to outrun uninvested 100s. 20 EVs let you outrun defensive Yveltal; 64 EVs let you outurn Geomancy Xerneas; 200 lets you outrun max Speed base 90s (with Jolly being optional). Due to its awkward Speed tier, running max Speed is pointless, unless you need to outrun Rayquaza.

Martin

Primal Groudon almost never runs full Speed, the most it usually runs is 84 to outrun uninvested 100s. 20 EVs let you outrun defensive Yveltal; 64 EVs let you outurn Geomancy Xerneas; 200 lets you outrun max Speed base 90s (with Jolly being optional). Due to its awkward Speed tier, running max Speed is pointless, unless you need to outrun Rayquaza.
Maybe in ORAS this is the case, but I know that in past generations there has been a history of large amounts of speed creeping happening in uber metagames, which in turn leads to things like max jolly Groudon and such shifting in and out of being standard. Remember: SM isn't ORAS, and there are also other benefits to running max speed such as tying with opposing Solgaleo and outpacing slow variants so that you can nail them with EQ or Flare Blitz.

Does Flare Blitz hit anything notable? Ferrothorn, Scizor and Genesect are terrible in a meta with Primal Groudon everywhere, Mega Metagross and opposing Solgaleo are both OHKOed by a +3 Earthquake, Shaymin-S is OHKOed by a +3 Sunsteel Strike. I think Sunsteel Strike, Earthquake, Stone Edge / Wild Charge gets the best overall coverage.

Wait a minute, this thing gets (hopefully) Splash from Cosmog, right? and Full Metal Jacket Alchemist Body means you can't lower its Attack.

Hoo boy, this thing is gonna hurt. except it doesn't look like it can boost its Speed D:
Flame Charge?

Also, a quick calc:
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 318-375 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Solgaleo can run a full offensive set without investing HP and Sp. Def and still check Xerneas after SR.
Yep, this thing is going to be the best Xerneas counter and instant Uber. Also Z-Splash + Earthquake:

+3 252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Primal Groudon: 362-426 (89.6 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Groudon can't do anything to check this mon.

So far the best set is:
Normalium-Z
Adamant or Jolly
Sunsteel Strike
Earthquake
Coverage move or Morning Sun
Splash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)