Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Alfons, we're making these rules up as we go--the whole idea of quick rises/drops was anathema before it became a necessity post-server crash/ORAS. If we decide that the metagames would be better served by keeping Gallade in RU for an additional month, we will.

Here's one reason why: if we keep it in RU, it will have an even easier time dropping to NU next month, when the cutoff is only 2.3%. But if we let it fall, it's extremely unlikely it'll muster the 4.5% RU usage next month required to get it back into the tier. So the "safer" thing to do is to keep it in RU. Not saying that's what's going to happen, but that's the argument.

| 19 | Seismitoad | 9.518% |

Seismitoad is definitely above the quick-rise margin to go from NU to RU, though.

Hopefully Hitmonchan and Trevenant maintain their current low usage in their respective tiers so they drop the next time there's a full tier shift.

p2

Banned deucer.
| 19 | Seismitoad | 9.518% |

Seismitoad is definitely above the quick-rise margin to go from NU to RU, though.

Hopefully Hitmonchan (RU) and Trevenant (UU) maintain their current low usage so they drop the next time there's a full tier shift.
Seismitoad is already RU though, it rose last month

My mistake; haven't played NU this month and forgot it had risen. I did use Seismitoad extensively during the UU suspect test; it's a very nice pokemon and worked really well for how many things it could check at once while offering stealth rock support.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Looking at the random battle usage stats always disillusions me so much. You can even just look at the 0 stats since it's all "random" right?

For example, you're more likely to get Floette-E, who isn't even released or announced, than Pikachu. And Meowstic is obviously a fan favorite for the programmers.

It's obviously all an evil plot to slowly condition us to get Meowstic to OU and make sure Pikachu is completely forgotten!

I'd be interested in seeing how often any particular pokemon is on the winning team in random battle. I have plenty of random battle (both singles and doubles) experience under my belt and have some anecdotal experience about which pokemon substantially help or hinder your team. I'd have to wonder if hard numbers back that up, and how pronounced the effect would be. It's not perfect since it wouldn't reflect variation in sets, but it would be nice to know just how badly a pokemon like Unown or Farfetch'd hurts your chances of winning.

Darvin, "winning" teams is a meaningless metric on a ladder with matchmaking, but what you want you can get at by considering the weighted stats (the higher the weight the more "winning").

Antar I was referring to random battle where teams are explicitly outside of player control, and thus the frequency of their appearance is independent of the skill of the player using it. Providing a win% would demonstrate how that pokemon's presence - on average - helps or hinders a random team. I agree it would be less than helpful, if not outright useless, in a context where players select their own teams.

RU: Unweighted
| 2 | Ambipom | 14.70730% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
2nd most unweighted usage in the entire tier. Wowzers.

RU: 1500
| 10 | Ambipom | 12.40619% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
Still top 10 even when you take out the completely garbage players.

RU: 1630
| 32 | Ambipom | 7.52205% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
An improvement, but not quite there.

RU: 1760
| 54 | Ambipom | 3.39061% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
Petition to use 1760 stats for tiering? Molk atomicllamas what say you?
Your should also mention cinccino in there as it is complete shit and gets too much usage. Btw OU used 1760 for tiering so Donphan would drop to uu. I support this.

Last edited:

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your should also mention cinccino in there as it is complete shit and gets too much usage. Btw OU used 1760 for tiering so Donphan to drop to uu. I support this.
As the guy who wrote Cinccino's analysis, I can tell you that it actually has somewhat of a niche. It's a decent anti-lead because it shuts down the likes of Omastar and Crustle. Cinccino also has arguably better coverage than Ambipom, making it better at late-game cleaning (though it isn't very good at that to begin with).

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, Gallade went from OU to NU in just one month, what a boss.
I feel bad for Gallade lol
View attachment 43512
Come on I was about to say that.

But yeah, Gallade went from OU to NU in just one month. It's a new record!!!!

Meanwhile Gardevoir is still rocking OU as it's still a top mon there.

Anyways, it's true that Cinccino is not good but it's certainly less of an issue in terms of what we have in RU than Ambipom is. Looking at those stats, Ambipom being at things like #2 in unweighted and everyone and their mother using it is quite troubling considering Ambipom is probably even more shitty.

Cinccino is terrible right now but it's less of an issue in terms of what is being used in RU than Ambipom. Of course both suck but yeah.

RU: Unweighted
| 2 | Ambipom | 14.70730% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
2nd most unweighted usage in the entire tier. Wowzers.

RU: 1500
| 10 | Ambipom | 12.40619% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
Still top 10 even when you take out the completely garbage players.

RU: 1630
| 32 | Ambipom | 7.52205% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
An improvement, but not quite there.

RU: 1760
| 54 | Ambipom | 3.39061% | 19561 | 14.707% | 16708 | 15.651% |
Petition to use 1760 stats for tiering? Molk atomicllamas what say you?
We've got a long way to go...

I mean, I'm glad that Claydol dropped and it looks like Hitmonchan will soon follow, but newbie users are still clinging to Ambipom for some reason. As someone who likes Ambipom, this is kind of upsetting. I really wish people would stop using it in RU so that it can drop into a tier where it might actually be useful.

I've seen Ambipoms in UU multiple times. Freaking UU! If I had to guess why, it's STAB Technician Fake Out seems to be the main reason it's used... it's quite nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)