Smogon Premier League 8: Doubles Discussion

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
DPL Champion
Happy to see some new quality dou player additions to the spl scene! Congrats to: SamVGC, Stax, frania, qsns, & miltankmilk for getting drafted! Really looking forward to how you and the remaining dou spl veterans will shape our young metagame :)
poor quickscopenoscope

lookin forward to spl though, hopefully we put on a good show for you n_n

KyleCole wanna make a wager on our game? losers gotta buy the other drinks in toronto

Really excited for some good matches this season, good mix between new guys and veterans with a pretty small skill gap from top to bottom. Should be a really fun season, hoping we get more n1n1 prediction posts when he inevitably returns by midseason. I think this is a really good group of players to help shape the SM doubles format and here's hoping we get some wild stuff week 1.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I'm really hyped about this iteration of SPL! Having such a "major" tournament so close to the start of a format is going to be really cool in directing the future growth of the format, so in that sense I'm fairly happy about most of the players who were picked up, a good mix of teambuilding creativity and player skill. I hope to see some really cool teams and techs from everyone involved; best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Biosci, and Blingas havnt been involved in this community for the entire year but got drafted.
You're act like this is new. I've never done a tryout for SPL or been active in the smogdubs community and I've been playing SPL since I first got picked up. You'd be surprised how being a decent person with average results works out sometimes. I can go on about this subject, but I'd rather not do a 5 paragraph essay about it ~_~

Really excited for SPL like always. Happy for everyone who got drafted, but of course there are always those who missed the cut. Sorry if you feel like you got snuffed, but just keep trying and don't feel resentful to those who did make it. Looking forward to a good year, hoping for some great matches to come

Hey I'm going to bump the thread.

SPL Power Rankings were just released and ranked the (assumed) starting Doubles Players from each team. The writers did this by getting Doubles Mains to write their own list (such as kamikaze and MajorBowman) and then averaged them out (correct me if I'm wrong lol).

Here are the rankings

1. MajorBowman (Tigers)
2. KyleCole (Cryonicles)
3. Stax (Raiders)
4. Braverius (Classiest)
5. Memoric (Ruiners)
6. SamVGC (Wolfpack)
7. kamikaze (Falcons)
8. Laga (BIGs)
9. Biosci (Scooters)
10. I am a Rookie (Sharks)

So basically I want to hear your thoughts on this list and any changes you would make. I think they did a pretty good job, no real problems with it.

SPL starts Monday the 9th!

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
The person who was the primary writer of these (I was secondary backup and whatnot etc etc, didn't write much but helped with phrasing and accuracy of the notes) wishes to be unnamed because (paraphrasing) everyone in doubles community is mean and he/she's basically hiding behind anonymity to not get lynched or smthing.

Henceforth going to refer to both the primary writer (reminder: unnamed) and myself as "we" but keep in mind the context.

First off, we weren't allowed to change the order of the names. That got decided in a private vote (to which I was uninvited, which is complete bullshit - wtf why did I put effort into writing shit if I'm not invited to vote on them, fucking taxed without my representation), which brought up immediate issues. Personally wouldn't have made TOO dramatic of shifts besides putting biosci somewhere besides #9, but that's beyond the point.

Second off, keep in mind we were rather rushed on time, forced to submit this basically 1 or 2 days after being to write it, bc they wanted someone to GP check it. So if any of the records aren't 100% accurate, shrug and if we typo'd something (which we did, Laga>Lohgock on kami's teammate last SPL) cut us some slack.

Basically the reason I'm posting this is bc I thought our names would be attached to it and apparently people are trying to figure out who wrote it, so press conference if you have any questions.

Best of luck to everyone competing! Go show them your worth and fuck em up!

edit: a phrase

Last edited:
KyleCole vs SamVGC - This is kind of a coinflip to me but Sam's lucky as shit so he'll probably pull it out.
Biosci vs kamikaze - Expecting Biosci to bring something wild and surprise Kami
Braverius vs Memoric - If Memoric brings dogshit like Cloyster it'll go the other way but if he brings Trick Room I don't think Zach will be able to process that.
I Am a Rookie vs Laga - Rooting for Chase to prove everyone wrong but I don't think week 1 will be the time he does it. Expect Laga to try and throw at least twice.

SM DOU: Stax vs MajorBowman : I intend to perform a cash based ritual before this match which will bring Stax good luck. I'll be going to a strip club.
SM Doubles: KyleCole vs SamVGC : I'm giving it a 90% chance that we see string shot vikavolt and Z Trick-or-Treat Gourgeist.
SM Doubles: Biosci vs kamikaze : I can't really put my money on someone I haven't seen play a single game in a year.
SM Doubles: Braverius vs Memoric : With his recent record of your success, I'll cast my vote for Braverius but I see this being a pretty even matchup.

SM Doubles: I Am a Rookie vs Laga :

We don't want no Devils in the house God!
We want Lagod!
And that's it!
Hallelujah, hand over Satan!
Jesus praise Lagod!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Super hyped for pretty much all of these matches! Plz post when ur playing so we can spectate :toast:

SM DOU: Stax vs MajorBowman I think I put majorblowsmen at #1 in the power rankings so he shall be victorious
SM Doubles: KyleCole vs SamVGC he is on qsns' team automatic victory
SM Doubles: Biosci vs kamikaze I like biosci's edgy pokemon related avatar more than kami's whole yu-gi-oh thing
SM Doubles: Braverius vs Memoric both r solid don't make me choose D:
SM Doubles: I Am a Rookie vs Laga it would be cool to see someone who has never played dou win some games lol but I like lobster dogs not underdogs so go laga unless you keep calling yourself plays, doubles jesus or any of that other stupid shit

gl everyone

SM DOU: Stax vs MajorBowman
this is the only dou match up, so I'm rooting for it

SM Doubles: KyleCole vs SamVGC
here we have a good user, and we have a user whos on a team with qsns. Definitely a match im rooting for. Slight edge to kylecole for not being australian.

SM Doubles: Biosci vs kamikaze
this is definitely a match worth rooting for. Biosci is a very important subject when it comes to medical school, and kamikazes were a deadly tactic in the second world war. Definitely excited to see how the two interact.

SM Doubles: Braverius vs Memoric
i cant make fun of either of these players, so this is gonna be a pretty singaboring match. Not rooting for it.

SM Doubles: I Am a Rookie vs Laga
neither really have experience winning in spl, excited to see the spl equivalent of the Winnipeg Jets vs the LV Golden Knights

edit: on second note none of these matches feature qsns so I will not be rooting for any of them

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Battle Times in EST!

[CRYO] KyleCole vs [WOLF] SamVGC - Tues @ 11 PM
[RAID] Stax vs [TGRS] MajorBowman - Wed @ 3 PM
[SCTR] Biosci vs [FLCN] kamikaze - Fri @ 10 PM
[CONG] Braverius vs [RUIN] Memoric - Fri @ 11 PM
[SHRK] I am a Rookie vs [BIGS] Laga - ???

:afrostar::afrostar::afrostar:Hype!!!:afrostar::afrostar::afrostar: MARK YOUR CALENDAR

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Stax vs MajorBowman
KyleCole vs SamVGC
Biosci vs kamikaze
Braverius vs Memoric
I Am a Rookie vs Laga

Pocket

Congrats to KyleCole for the first BLOOD in SPL doubles matches! Did anybody in wolfpack not tell Sam that timer is mandatory n_n. Sorry for the rough start, but don't take the loss too hard and keep on moving forward!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)