• MikeDecIsHere

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • pookar

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not to be a stick in the mud, but can we have a rule against using other programs than just to record? It's kind of hard for us noobs to compete with the ones with professional editing equipment. I would love to be able to record two tracks and harmonize with myself, but I can't...

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've thought that was an unsaid rule ever since SD utilized a studio to nearly win the first karaoke, I've always been in support of it. We probably should eliminate extra instruments too, because I used my guitar to win a bunch of karaoke rounds too. These aren't karaoke songs, they're covers.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I propose making all entries a capella, thereby eliminating the possibility of outside instruments or other factors than the voice of the singer (which is the point of karaoke anyway) influencing the votes.

I think requiring everyone to use the same program (ie soundcloud) to record is a step we can take too, although it has to be something everyone can access for free.

This request isn't meant to be an attack on any user since I like everyone, I am just trying to act in the interest of fairness.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I'll record just me and my guitar next time D:

I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me all my vocals for these contests are always literally first takes. I don't edit the vocals, or cut and paste them, or tweak them or whatever. I have the settings that I prefer for vocals for the particular mic I use all pre-set, so I just click record and go and what I get is what I get.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
oh god no, a capella isn't karaoke either

just sing over a YouTube version of the track and record it, bam, Smogon Karaoke entry

Not to be a stick in the mud, but can we have a rule against using other programs than just to record? It's kind of hard for us noobs to compete with the ones with professional editing equipment. I would love to be able to record two tracks and harmonize with myself, but I can't...
LOL wow could you be calling me out any more?

Iris I did legit because I wanted to, but for this one, I did it in literally one take in five minutes (well, two if you count the harmony). Also, I don't use any "professional" equipment. My program is garageband, which is a shitty free app on the mac. To record, I use a shit headset, not a professional microphone. I simply google the karaoke version of songs, put the track in garageband, record me singing, and export the song. I did no editing to the music whatsoever (believe me, it's fucking easy for me to). I did this shit for fun, but if you're going to bitch about the fact that I know how to use my computer, then sorry I'm not sorry.

FYI, any recording program can let you record two tracks. You simply record the first track, then record the recording as you sing with it ;)

Edit: I apologize if this sounds rude, but it's frustrating as hell.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
LOL wow could you be calling me out any more?

Iris I did legit because I wanted to, but for this one, I did it in literally one take in five minutes (well, two if you count the harmony). Also, I don't use any "professional" equipment. My program is garageband, which is a shitty free app on the mac. To record, I use a shit headset, not a professional microphone. I simply google the karaoke version of songs, put the track in garageband, record me singing, and export the song. I did no editing to the music whatsoever (believe me, it's fucking easy for me to). I did this shit for fun, but if you're going to bitch about the fact that I know how to use my computer, then sorry I'm not sorry.

FYI, any recording program can let you record two tracks. You simply record the first track, then record the recording as you sing with it ;)

Edit: I apologize if this sounds rude, but it's frustrating as hell.
Pretty sure you overreacted to what I was saying. I wasn't "calling you out", and I wasn't saying you edited in the sense of tone or whatever. You and mattj, legitimately, are great singers and I 100% believe you did what you did in the first take. My argument is against the use of anything beyond a single track recording of you singing over the background music, ie playing guitar, recording two tracks and merging them, etc. You wouldn't be allowed to record yourself twice if you sang karaoke at a bar, right? I suppose you'd be able to use your guitar in that case, but I think that simply gives you an unfair advantage here since people seem to gravitate toward the guitar players. As far as double tracks goes, sure you could do that with any other program, but the first track would be much more faint the second time unless you have a program that's designed to keep the tracks at the same level (like garageband).

Like I said before, I just want it to be fair for everyone and people to be evaluated for their singing, not their ability to play instruments or "extras" provided by their software. Hell, I even voted for you two, because your voices and pitch are actually good.

Had I wanted to "call you out", I would have mentioned you by name. I didn't, because I wasn't targetting you specifically. If you think that, try asking me to explain and/or elaborate for you rather than getting all pissed and defensive. I apologize for my wording in the first post, as I see now saying "professional editing equipment" sent the wrong message. Hopefully now my intentions are clear.

@Aldy - wasn't the purpose of my post, and I don't want pity votes =/

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I actually think a capella could be a fun theme for a later contest.

Oh, and waterbomb, ur just a big meanie.

people seem to gravitate toward the guitar players.
I will have you know that I multi-instrumentally covered all of my entries and have only ever won one contest with like three votes!!!

I do agree with you though that a full recording can sound more "impressive" than just a karaoke version of a song even if the vocals are of the same or of weaker quality.

I would be for a Smogon cover contest separate from karaoke! We have enough musicians here to probably pull that off. The trouble is actually getting everyone to participate =/////

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
idunno i really just think we should all take this a bit less seriously

i mean

rodan is tied for 2nd

wth hahaha oh well

I have a better idea than a capella:

The only backing tracks you're allowed are ones you create with your own voice.

You can sing backup vocals, you can beatbox, you can imitate guitar solos with your voice, etc. but that's it.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I have a better idea than a capella:

The only backing tracks you're allowed are ones you create with your own voice.

You can sing backup vocals, you can beatbox, you can imitate guitar solos with your voice, etc. but that's it.
this is what in my mind a capella means

also we might do an entire round like this once, but that is for a much(?) later date

but yeah, this thing was meant to be a fun thing for everyone. adding tracks is awesome if you can do it, sure, but not everyone can play guitar/ukulele/whatever other instrument.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
lol ukulele I would totally give someone the automatic win if they played that!

Also I'm in favor of a covers contest too. There's enough talented people on here that it'd be pretty cool.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically what mattj said. I do mine in one take unless I really fuck up the lyrics or start laughing or something; when that happens, I re-record the whole thing instead of cutting out the part where I messed up. Also, a capella is pretty stupid bar it being a theme for one round. The background song is absolutely necessary because some melodies sound whack ass without it. Songs are written with instruments and voice in mind, so there's no reason to go a capella on a regular basis.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
I will have you know that I multi-instrumentally covered all of my entries and have only ever won one contest with like three votes!!!
yeah and let's be honest, you were fucking robbed

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
unfortunately we all have the attention span of a jack russell, so I'm sure almost everyone listens to maybe the first 20 seconds of the entries before moving on to the next one. If you don't start strong, you're doomed!

pookar

Banned deucer.
i never start strong but i dont start awful >:( I just dont play to the crowd!

didnt vote for anyone this round n/o not even myself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)