Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Recently got a slow cooker for my birthday, it's really good I would definitely recommend. Everything is so easy to cook, it's essentially just mix ingredients up and put them in, then wait. Usually cuts down on washing up too, and it's easy to cook meat really nice. So far I have made with it fajita fillings, enchiladas, honey+garlic chicken, stuffed peppers and beef stew. only got a rubbish picture of the beef stew:

bad quality pic, and it doesn't look appetising on account of the fact it's a brown slodge, but tastes really nice and so easy - essentially just beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion with beef stock, some flour, clove of garlic, worcestershire sauce, a bit of paprika, a bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste cook on high for about 5 hours.

also today, bought some reduced price king prawns for cheap cos it was on the sell-by date, and decided to home make breadcrumbed prawns, chips and tartare sauce.
breadcrumbing and shallow frying is fun to do and easy as well, all you need is some flour, egg, breadcrumbs and some oil.

The chips I just chopped potatoes up into chip-shapes put them on a tray with olive oil and salt and put them in the oven for 50 mins. Decided not to deep fry them cos I was already wasting a lot of oil frying the prawns already, and the oven is less effort and healthier. I'd never made my own chips before but the shop had run out of frozen chips, so i thought fuck it I'll do it myself. I'm definitely going to be doing it a lot more from now on, they were really nice, though I'm wondering how to get the outside crispy yet leave the middle soft. Maybe it depends on the potato?
tartare sauce is also easy to do a quick version with mayo, chopped capers and gherkin (pickles to americans i think?), bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I'm not good at making my food look pretty, but that's not important to me. I just enjoy making easy, tasty food.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
I was asked to make something for a food party I was invited to yesterday so I decided to make a bit of ice cream with strawberry & peach jelly. It tasted absolutely divine and I'm definitely going to make some more.

upload_2016-6-21_15-59-34.png

i hope this isn't big, if it is i'll put in hide tags

this also doubles as my 1k post so time for some shoutouts :3c

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
R [/hide]

The chips I just chopped potatoes up into chip-shapes put them on a tray with olive oil and salt and put them in the oven for 50 mins. Decided not to deep fry them cos I was already wasting a lot of oil frying the prawns already, and the oven is less effort and healthier. I'd never made my own chips before but the shop had run out of frozen chips, so i thought fuck it I'll do it myself. I'm definitely going to be doing it a lot more from now on, they were really nice, though I'm wondering how to get the outside crispy yet leave the middle soft. Maybe it depends on the potato?
http://www.alexandracooks.com/2014/09/25/the-crispiest-oven-fries/

Supposedly, blanching the chips/wedges/fries in oil or water first helps make them more crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside by removing the excess starch (dry/drain ofc). It's a bit of extra work, but if the crispiness is important to you, try it! Or you can try upping the oven temperature (maybe during the halfway mark)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So today I made something I've been wanting to make for the longest time but never did. I decided to try making a pineapple inside out burger with the works and it tasted delicious!

IMG_20160719_1411168_rewind.jpg

I used frying cheese on the inside of the burger and Swiss on the outside. Seasoned the meat with Worcestershire sauce and panko sauce along with a couple other ingredients. Grilled the pineapple slice along side the burger and onions. It looked so good after finishing it that I kinda didn't want to eat it. My only complaint with it though was that the buns I used were too small. Should have bought larger buns. But overall, it was great. Definitely gonna make this one again!

Here's some pics of some other foods I made.

IMG_20160423_1910590_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160106_162347_hdr.jpg

IMG_20151212_184617_hdr.jpg

Sobi

Banned deucer.
i'm not dead and neither is this thread! Click on thumbnails to see larger picture; please excuse the poor photo quality :(.

Screenshot 2016-11-19 at 16.46.49.png
Someone requested a fresh fruit vanilla cake, I added some white/milk chocolate fingers as well
Screenshot 2016-11-19 at 16.46.39.png
Pretty cupcakes for a kids party
Screenshot 2016-11-19 at 16.46.19.png
Semi marble fairycakes drizzled with ganache
Screenshot 2016-11-19 at 16.45.57.png
Delicious trifles for an evening party tonight :)

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
IMG_9088.JPG

I made black beans burgers for the first time and it was a amazing not to mention simple

You only need a can of black beans, one egg, salt, chopped green onions, bread crumbs, basil, garlic powder. Rinse and Smash the beans until it looks like purée, add the egg, then the rest and mix it all together. Make them burger shaped (flour onto your hands and it won't be so messy!) and cook them! Add cheese on top while cooking. Make a sandwich and you're all set

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Forgot about this thread. Made some squid spaghetti the other day. Mixed a few cans of chopped squid with its ink with onions, peppers and cooked pasta to make a delicious dinner. Easily one of my favorite kinds of pasta to eat!

Awesome thread.

I made my own version of paella a little while back and it turned out to be pretty good. I have no idea how to actually make paella and I don't like following recipes so I sorta just put together what I thought would work well. I first went to a farmer's market and picked up some fresh mussels, scallops, shrimp, spicy sausage, and fresh herbs. Most other ingredients were at home. I cooked the rice with chicken stock, olive oil, and a lot of spices (a lot of paprika), prepared the shellfish (I just used white wine and herbs), and cooked the sausage and vegetables on the BBQ. It was very tasty and definitely something I'm going to make again.

MADE IT 2.jpg

(sorry for the shitty quality, my phone is bad lol)

Awesome thread.

I made my own version of paella a little while back and it turned out to be pretty good. I have no idea how to actually make paella and I don't like following recipes so I sorta just put together what I thought would work well. I first went to a farmer's market and picked up some fresh mussels, scallops, shrimp, spicy sausage, and fresh herbs. Most other ingredients were at home. I cooked the rice with chicken stock, olive oil, and a lot of spices (a lot of paprika), prepared the shellfish (I just used white wine and herbs), and cooked the sausage and vegetables on the BBQ. It was very tasty and definitely something I'm going to make again.

View attachment 79954
(sorry for the shitty quality, my phone is bad lol)
The quality is good enough to make that little shrimp visible, shellfishes are good but they don't really stack up its unique texture of little shrimps, shrimps on cooked rice are always a yes.

I made all of these dumplings by hand (with the exception of the wrappers). There's shrimp, pork, chives, green onions, with salt, white pepper, sesame oil, and soy sauce for seasoning, and a couple eggs to bind the filling together! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)