SM UU Break This Team Mk. II (Week 8 - Hiatus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just use Umbreon and Mantine again?

♥

Papalax (Snorlax) (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Earthquake

Mamabuzz (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

The perfect couple!
As pointed out by the previous posters, Mandibuzz completely stops Klefki from doing it's thing and decently handles the rest of the team as well, however I've opted to go physically defensive with it's EV spread to improve it's matchup against Scizor if rocks are up or if it happens to be running Life Orb instead of Lum, the spread also just barely avoids the 2HKO from any M-Sharpedo running Ice Fang so you won't be caught off guard by a change to the set. This does come at the cost of having a harder time with Latias and special attackers in general however.

Snorlax on the other hand nearly solos this team after a single Curse and makes for a solid wincon in general, taking only 42% at max from Lati's Draco, 59% max from Mega-Sharpedo's Crunch before a Curse, and 52% max from Mamo's EQ before a Curse. The only real issues Snorlax faces is getting T-waved by Klefki, getting hit by Superpower before a Curse, or having it's berry removed with Bug Bite or Knock Off, hence my choice to make Mandibuzz it's partner.

The combination of Mega Altaria + Mandibuzz deals with this team pretty well.

I chose to use a bulky Dragon Dance spread for M-Altaria but also adding Fire Blast to lure Scizor.
And sp.def Mandibuzz already got explained by the previous posters lol.

Scizor can’t SD easily with Foul Play Mandibuzz, plus Altaria can opt for not Mega evolving to preserve it’s Flying type in fear of a Bullet Punch and OKHO it back with Fire Blast.
Mega Sharpedo isn’t carrying Ice Fang, so it can be a set up fodder for M-Altaria or Mandibuzz can just wall it completely.
Life Orb Latias can also be a set up fodder for M-Altaria because Psychic from Latias doesn’t even 2HKO or just like M-Sharpedo we can opt to counter it with Mandibuzz.
Mamoswine without Icicle Crash and the spikes setter Klefki can be dealt with Mandibuzz and the only downside is getting Leftovers knocked off + paralysed by Klefki but Mandibuzz still does it job.
And with Azelf we can just defog the rocks later on the game.

So in other words we just need to avoid getting Para’d by Klefki and DD M-Altaria + Fire Blast will put some work against this team.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Return
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 240 HP / 52 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Defog
0- SpA Altaria Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 360-424 (99.7 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

180 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Altaria-Mega: 143-172 (40.3 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 136 Def Altaria-Mega: 131-155 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psychic vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Altaria-Mega: 133-157 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
...Admittedly, jumping on the Mandibuzz bandwagon was pretty lazy and shameful on my part.
So I'll give credit where credit is due and vote for Sparrow since he was the first to submit a core using the mon, it was a great idea man and I apologize for being a leech. I got a bit too caught up in the idea of winning and not actually trying to bring new ideas to the table.

explodingdaisies

What's the point of talking if nobody ever listens
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ridk. Just swap to support alt with hyper voice roost flamethrower and heal bell. M-alt makes a nice bolt beam sponge for mandi.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Our next team comes from good friend TSR!

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Nasty Plot

Cobalion @ Chople Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roar

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Tail

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

So this is a neat bulky offense team I made for the new meta a few weeks ago. I built around Salazzle since it's pretty good at powering through a lot of standard builds and threats (seriously look at S through A- rank mons, there's a ton of stuff that just gets destroyed by this thing), being able to OHKO even Mega Latias with +2 Acid Downpour, for reference. Empoleon makes a good partner since it defogs for Salazzle and provides a solid pivot vs stuff like Mega Gardevoir and Nihilego. The EVs were given to me by dodmen a while back, which live a regular, unboosted Close Combat from Cobalion and then OHKO it back with Torrent-boosted Scald at -1 Sdef. Bulky Mega Altaria and Rotom-W round out the pseudo-defensive core, while also giving me a decent wincon vs bulkier teams since Altaria's other five teammates all do pretty well at wearing down bulky Steel-types. Speed EVs creep Modest Primarina and Double-Edge ensures that I OHKO 0/0 Primarina at +1 (Return does not). I gave Rotom-W max Speed since I was fairly weak to Nidoking and OHKOing it with a surprise Hydro Pump is very useful to the team. Having threats like Scizor under some degree of control is also useful since Rotom can always outspeed it and (hopefully) land a wisp on it in crucial situations. Cobalion provides me with rocks, a decent wallbreaker even if its counters are increasingly common, and some much better insurance vs Weavile and Scizor. Cobalion carries Chople Berry to give it an edge in the event of a Cobalion mirror, since I am admittedly pretty weak to it. Krook glues the team together with some non-boosting speed control, as well as a useful deterrent to keep Mega Manectric from spamming Volt Switch without a second thought. Iron Tail still hits Mega Aerodactyl super-effectively while also coming with the added benefit of OHKOing Mega Gardevoir and revenge killing +1 Mega Altaria pretty cleanly.

Submissions are due Wednesday, October 11 at 7:00 PM GMT -5!

Last edited:

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reserving amoonguss + terrakion

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Spore

Terrakion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock / Rock Polish
So first thing I noticed was this teams lack of switch into Amoonguss (Spore), which also has an opportunity to switch into every member of this team bar Salazzle. In terms of switch-ins to Salazzle that I think really threaten this team: Terrakion. At +2 this teams only viable switch in is M-Altaria and Cobalion (which can't switch in after Chople has been popped); Rotom-Wash is KO'd at +2, Salazzle fails to OHKO Terrakion even with +2 SpA boost, and Krookodile cannot RKO with Scarf EQ (either because Terrakion is at +2 Speed or its safety net in Shuca Berry). Further to this, both switch ins to Terrakion are major Amoonguss bait, where both are forced out and the team is then forced to sleep fodder a Pokemon; granting an opportunity for Terrakion to set up and threaten a sweep.

As a fun fact, I slashed HP Ground on Amoonguss, since it has a good chance to 1v1 this team with minimal support.

The best way to approach this match up, is to lead with Terrakion, you can force out Salazzle & Empoleon early on and you have a decent switch into the other Pokemon with Amoonguss. As an extra benefit Amoonguss is able to live Volt Switch from Rotom-W into an un-boosted Fire Blast from Salazzle. A slept Salazzle means this team really struggles versus Amoonguss, especially if you opt for Stealth Rock on Terrakion.

Last edited:

Decided to use Zygarde-10% because no mon on the team wants to take a CB Thousand Arrows except M-Altaria (Though it has to watch for an incoming Iron Tail which can 2HKO M-Altaria), Krookodile can also switch-in but it can get wore down pretty easily (Thousound Arrows 2HKO's it) plus Pursuit isn’t doing much to Zygarde-10%. Zygarde-10% also serves as a really nice check to Salazzle by resisting it’s both STABs (It can even take on full health a Nasty Plot boosted Z Sludge Wave and revenge kill Salazzle.)

I paired Zygarde-10% with Suicune to check M-Altaria (as I said before it’s the only good switch-in this team really has for Zygarde-10%). Choosed to use RoarCune set because it helps against Toxic from Empoleon thanks to Rest also gives me the option to use Roar if M-Altaria and Cobalion get out of hand or just Scald burn them.

Basically Zygarde-10% pressures the team by spamming Thousand Arrows and Suicune serves as a defensive backbone.
Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic/Iron Tail

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind
Zygarde-10%
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 374-444 (100.5 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rotom-Wash: 344-408 (113.1 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Altaria-Mega: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 162-192 (48.9 - 58%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Krookodile Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 103-123 (28.7 - 34.3%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 84-99 (23.4 - 27.6%) -- 81.5% chance to 4HKO

+2 252 SpA Salazzle Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 267-314 (74.5 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Suicune
0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Suicune: 115-136 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 96.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Suicune: 171-202 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
&

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

While it's not exactly swimming in switchin opportunities during this matchup, SD Mega-Sceptile rips through most of this team with very few issues. Thanks to it's speed and coverage Sceptile is able to threaten out Rotom-W, Empoleon, Salazzle, and Krookodile locked into anything other then Knock Off, and once it grabs an SD it can sweep most the team by itself, save for Altaria of course.
+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 312-368 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Krookodile Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile-Mega: 126-148 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Altaria-Mega: 141-166 (39.8 - 46.8%) -- 39.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tentacruel on the other hand stops this teams setup sweepers in their tracks, most notably Altaria and Cobalion, while providing hazard removal for the team. (Have you noticed I like having hazard removal in my cores?)
It also pairs decently with Sceptile defensively, tanking most Ice, Poison, and Fairy type attacks aimed at it's scaly green teammate while Sceptile can handle the Ground and Electric attacks that Tentacruel hates oh so much.
Versus Altaria
+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 120-141 (33 - 38.8%) -- 9.1% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Tentacruel Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 164-194 (46.3 - 54.8%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO

Versus Cobalion
+2 252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 144-171 (39.6 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 93-111 (28.7 - 34.3%) -- 2.9% chance to 3HKO
Even without getting a burn, two Scalds brings Cobalion into Sceptile's EQ range.

Versus Salazzle
+2 252 SpA Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 137-162 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 SpA Salazzle Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 218-257 (60 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salazzle: 218-258 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader

Reserving Haxorus + Milotic

Milotic might be outclassed by Alomomola or Mantine but against this team it’s the perfect mon thanks to Flame Orb + Marvel Scale combo (Avoiding Toxic from Empoleon + getting a x1.5 def boost). It fills a nice defensive rol by hazing away the boosts of M-Altaria and Cobalion. On the other side, Krookodile, Rotom-W and Empoleon can’t do much against it. Scald can OHKO Salazzle and destroy any possible chance for it to sweep.
Basically, Milotic is my answer against the sweepers and the rest of it’s teammates can’t do much.

And Haxorus, Haxorus puts a ton of pressure on the team, after Dragon Dancing it can OHKO every mon on the team except Krookodile and M-Altaria (which can be checked very easily with Milotic). Lum Berry allows me to have some opportunities to DD in front of Rotom-W and Empoleon which are the primary checks to it (Krookodile is also a check but doesn’t appreciate taking damage on a switch in and getting worn down). Adamant natures helps a lot with rolls and I already gain the speed I need after Dragon Dancing.
Milotic @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 94-112 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after burn damage

Even though Cobalion’s CC can 2HKO, Milotic can PP stall the CC and SD with Recover and Haze’s insane pps.
+2 252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Salazzle: 260-308 (93.1 - 110.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 105-124 (26.6 - 31.4%) -- 40.9% chance to 3HKO after burn damage

+1 0 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 156-184 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 108 SpD Milotic: 120-144 (30.4 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 402-474 (108 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 316-374 (97.8 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash: 282-332 (93 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Please keep in mind that this isn't a counterteaming competition. This means you should try to use viable sets and mons that aren't tailored specifically to beat the team (For example, flame orb milotic is in itself suboptimal as both a mon and a set and you have it evd specifically to live two double-edges from mega altaria, which is in itself a relatively rare set). I'm sure you can think of something less niche to bring versus this team, but for now, I am not accepting this submission.

Reactions: TSR
Please keep in mind that this isn't a counterteaming competition. This means you should try to use viable sets and mons that aren't tailored specifically to beat the team (For example, flame orb milotic is in itself suboptimal as both a mon and a set and you have it evd specifically to live two double-edges from mega altaria, which is in itself a relatively rare set). I'm sure you can think of something less niche to bring versus this team, but for now, I am not accepting this submission.
Oh my bad, I will try to make another core.

e: Done

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR
+

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Roost

So looking at the team I immediatly noticed that mega altaria with facade puts in a metric ton of work against it. With a bit of chip on a few mons (depending on whether or not this mon is statused which ill get to later) it can 6-0 easily. a non-boosted mega altaria thats statused ohkos bulky altaria with facade from full, as well as 1v1ing rotom like a breeze as it doesnt care about any of the attacks it wants to throw at it and sets up in its face with a free status for the facade boost. Empoleon has the option of roaring it out, but other than that it cant really do much unless it is at full hp in which if it comes in it can toxic altaria. A burnt altaria at nuetral (This is assuming that you for example set up, killed a mon then krook came in and got rid of your +1) also ohkos salazzle so thats not a threat once your setup either. Krookodile does hurt malt if its not at +2 as it outspeeds and does a solid chunk to it, but with no priority on the team the next turn you either get to kill something or roost up. At +1 cobalion is also not a threat. if rotom burns you, facade nearly ohkos, if you aernt burned, eq does around 75%, so once again a bit of chip and your set.

Now lets talk about infernape. Infernape is here to add extra assurance to altaria, as it is incredibly good at dealing with all of the mons that could give altaria trouble on this team as well as appreciates malts walling of rotom-w. Infernape also allows for momentum gain which can lead to a voltturn string if you happen to have a voltturn core on a team featuring this core to provide vital chip.

Last edited:
Props to ridk021 and CodeRed23, those ideas were really solid (Wish there was a calc for +2 MAlt for Zydog, but it's not that relevant), but I think bla bla fat made the one with the best chance to actually pull off a sweep on this team, so my vote goes to bla bla fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)