SM UU Beta (Mewnium Z, Staraptor, Victini banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about mimikyu? are people in OU still using it for some reason?

also, if kingdra and pelipper drop, rain becomes busted

I'd say Scizor and the Lati twins may rise back to OU IMO. The former I don't think is healthy for the meta anyway.
I doubt that either of them are rising to ou. I haven't seen a single regular scizor, since it is completely outclassed by its mega, and the metagame is just not kind to it. Same thing with Latias, there isn't much reason to use it over her brother latios, who is already ou, and I personally have only seen a few on the ladder. Overall I sincerely doubt either will rise since ou is just not kind to them at all right now.

My prediction

Drops (OU to UU)

Xurkitree
Kingdra
Muk-Alola
Mamoswine (maybe unlikely because of lando-t, mence, and garchomp's popularity)
Clefable (sounded strange but i only see it in stall teams, plus its last month's usage was barely above cutoff)
I wanna say mimikyu but it's probably going to be the Sylveon/Conkeldurr of this gen. Be patient folks, be verry patient

Rises (UU to OU)

Amoongus

(BL to OU)

Scolipede
Salamence
Volcarona
Zard Y
Kyurem Black

well uu will probably not going to retest those five mons anytime soon (or ever) but if they're ou by usage, we can't retest those mons to uu

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
what about mimikyu? are people in OU still using it for some reason?

also, if kingdra and pelipper drop, rain becomes busted
Mimikyu sat at around a 12-18% usage during December. So I would imagine it still has a relatively high usage in OU despite its rather mediocrity (in the OU tier), I'm estimating its usage to be approximately 6-10% during January.

Not sure why Mimikyu is still being used a lot in OU but, my guess is that I think Mimikyu is probably a fan favorite from Sun/Moon since it appealed to a lot of people with its music video and its ties to Pikachu (I'm assuming) therefore, it translate to a pretty high usage rate, especially in the lower tiers. Or it might just be people really like the ability Disguise, who knows?

until we have the January stats most of this post is theory lmao

Yeah I'm sincerely hoping that mimikyu's just a case of new toy syndrome since its a fan favorite this gen, and wont become another conkeldurr/sylveon situation where they take forever to drop even though theyre mediocre in ou. Or worse, ambipom in oras ru, whre it literally never drops despite being terrible.

Also, if pelipper and kingdra drop, im pretty sure rain becomes busted, so in that case would we ban those individual mons, or would that be when we just ban drizzle?

fast/spdef SD gliscor is also a deadly stall breaker, can run toxic to defeat quag and basically win.
its scary for balance too D:
what are counters/checks besides faster water/ice mons
Seconded. Stall's fighting chance against some set-up sweepers rests on Quagsire's annoying, unsuspecting self. Standard SD Gliscor is an annoying tickler at best for Quag, and the same goes for Quag with its unimpressive Scald damage. With Toxic however, Quagsire becomes all too aware of the danger it got itself into.

I'd say defensive team archetypes have increased in viability with the banning of several offensive threats. Particularly with stall, benefiting once more with the banning of Victini and to an extent, Staraptor. While the past bans have helped streamline the threatlist into a more manageable and defined cast (for the most part), it does in turn help Pokemon who've gone under the radar to take center stage. Well in the eyes of a stall player, I'm definitely bothered with the increased presence of Togekiss. Togekiss not only destroys stall without M-Aero, it also pressures the heck out of slower playstyles. It has a near-flawless exploit against defensive teams; a boosting, bulky cleric with good typing and flinch shenanigans. Togekiss is one to take into account of when building a slow-ish team, mandatory if one is building stall. I'm hesitant to say that it is very restrictive to teambuilding as there are viable ways to go around with it (Electrics, Scizor, faster threats like M-Aero, etc.), without resorting to gimmicky/unviable means.

Maybe it's just my penchant for using stall and bulky teams that impairs my view on Togekiss' bork levels, heheh.

Well speaking of threats, M-Sharpedo is kinda scary as well. It's a very effective cleaner and it's quite flexible against several team archetypes too. Offense weeps, and it pressures bulkier teams with Strong Jaw-boosted Crunches and coverage.

So, looking at all these posts, here are my thoughts:
-Suspect Kingdra first, then Pelipper, if they drop, because, right now, Rain isn't broken.
-My Babies Keldeo and Amoonguss must not rise, I'm quite reliant on them right now.
-Latias will (thankfully) likely not rise, because, again, Latios exists.
-Scizor isn't THAT troublesome, because, look, everyone carries HP Fire EXACTLY because of him. It is kinda hard to check things that outspeed you and can 2HKO you at worst.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
I doubt that either of them are rising to ou. I haven't seen a single regular scizor, since it is completely outclassed by its mega, and the metagame is just not kind to it. Same thing with Latias, there isn't much reason to use it over her brother latios, who is already ou, and I personally have only seen a few on the ladder. Overall I sincerely doubt either will rise since ou is just not kind to them at all right now.
Oh, I thought BOTH latis were in UU. My B.

In regards to an earlier post I made: here's that Groundium Z Zygarde 10% in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-528557504

Team I was using:

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Zygarde-10% @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Crunch
- Extreme Speed
- Glare

Crobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sacred Sword

Necrozma @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Stealth Rock

In regards to the team - ask away!

Okay so after watching that replay I saw that choice banded Zygarde 10% would have been better than groundium z zygarde 10% because you were just spamming thousand arrows anyways and you could've done more consistent dmg against his team anyways. Honestly if you took out celebi first and had some hazards up, zygarde-10% could've of cleaned up nicely. The other team didn't seem all that good to me either which made me not appreciate the replay that much (the incineroar & regice).
BUT, that replay got me thinking about Heliolisk as a Z-user for some reason. I was just thinking, "Well, obviously that zygarde should've just been banded and another poke on his team should of held z-crystal instead. Like, Heliolisk since it has a decent movepool."
That's when I thought of this:

Heliolisk @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is a pretty anti-meta set that goes after big threats. Volt Switch is always doing big damage on what it wants to hit super effectively with since Heliolisk has a decent special attack so I didn't care about thunderbolt that much and left it out. (Also, if they switch out volt switch is still bringing in momentum and they won't switch in a ground type a good amount of the times because heliolisk is known for g-knot which knocks out or 2hkos the incoming ground type anyways). Now, I thought of Darkinium Z Dark Pulse because I figured dark pulse always seemed like good coverage that just lacked power. Turns out, it can do big damage on big time threats, Celebi and Latias. Now, hidden power fire is mainly for scizor, and to a lesser extent, forretress. Grass knot is obvious.
Thundurus-I and Raikou are obvious big contenders for the special attacking electric spot and I will say that although they are bulkier and hit harder, Heliolisk is immune to two types, ghost and water, which is valuable since there a lot of scald users in the tier like quagsire, swampert, suicune, etc. Gengar and Chandelure are also big ghost special attackers and Heliolisk can be used as a nice pivot on them. Take for instance if gengar is going shadow ball, pivot into Heliolisk then double to scizor on the sludge bomb/wave and proceed to punch holes with scizor; with chandelure you come in and outspeed to knock it out with Z-Dark Pulse and if its scarfed, well it's locked into shadow ball anyways and you can volt switch on the switch-in. Here are some calcs by the way:
252 SpA Heliolisk Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Celebi: 306-362 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Heliolisk Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 246-290 (81.7 - 96.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is just some theorymonning by the way, if you have some thoughts on this, try it out or give suggestions.
Edit- Yeah, z-pulse is just meant for the switch-in when it comes to Latias since it can come in on Helio very easily due to to its overall bulk and proceed to knock it out and recover the damage later on. I will say that Gliscor does give this set some troubles if its the spdf set.

Last edited:
Okay so after watching that replay I saw that choice banded Zygarde 10% would have been better than groundium z zygarde 10% because you were just spamming thousand arrows anyways and you could've done more consistent dmg against his team anyways. Honestly if you took out celebi first and had some hazards up, zygarde-10% could've of cleaned up nicely. The other team didn't seem all that good to me either which made me not appreciate the replay that much (the incineroar & regice).
BUT, that replay got me thinking about Heliolisk as a Z-user for some reason. I was just thinking, "Well, obviously that zygarde should've just been banded and another poke on his team should of held z-crystal instead. Like, Heliolisk since it has a decent movepool."
That's when I thought of this:

Heliolisk @ Darkinium Z
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is a pretty anti-meta set that goes after big threats. Volt Switch is always doing big damage on what it wants to hit super effectively with since Heliolisk has a decent special attack so I didn't care about thunderbolt that much and left it out. (Also, if they switch out volt switch is still bringing in momentum and they won't switch in a ground type a good amount of the times because heliolisk is known for g-knot which knocks out or 2hkos the incoming ground type anyways). Now, I thought of Darkinium Z Dark Pulse because I figured dark pulse always seemed like good coverage that just lacked power. Turns out, it can do big damage on big time threats, Celebi and Latias. Now, hidden power fire is mainly for scizor, and to a lesser extent, forretress. Grass knot is obvious.
Thundurus-I and Raikou are obvious big contenders for the special attacking electric spot and I will say that although they are bulkier and hit harder, Heliolisk is immune to two types, ghost and water, which is valuable since there a lot of scald users in the tier like quagsire, swampert, suicune, etc. Gengar and Chandelure are also big ghost special attackers and Heliolisk can be used as a nice pivot on them. Take for instance if gengar is going shadow ball, pivot into Heliolisk then double to scizor on the sludge bomb/wave and proceed to punch holes with scizor; with chandelure you come in and outspeed to knock it out with Z-Dark Pulse and if its scarfed, well it's locked into shadow ball anyways and you can volt switch on the switch-in. Here are some calcs by the way:
252 SpA Heliolisk Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Celebi: 306-362 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Heliolisk Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 246-290 (81.7 - 96.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is just some theorymonning by the way, if you have some thoughts on this, try it out or give suggestions.
I feel like Dark Pulse is unnecessary to run on Helio, because the two mons you listed it would kill in the calcs Lati just outspeeds and 2HKOs anyway, with a chance of OHKOing after rocks. Celebi is a different story. this is a cool set otherwise. Maybe Normalium Z Hyper Voice just as a powerful Z-STAB that hits almost anything bar Ghosts and steels is nice.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Again tmacbalanced - The set is there to punish flying types coming in, and nuke (or at the very least severely cripple) those like Gliscor if they decide to stay in. I did acknowledge that DD could be an option over Glare (but would come at the cost of support seen in the replay), and I never said that Band wasn't an option... I just don't want to A) end up locked into a situation vs bulky Grass/Water types I can't beat in a pinch, and B) sacrifice support options. That 115 base speed can be used for more than just headstrong offense, believe me.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There's really no reason to use Groundium Z on Zygarde-10%, because a set with Dragonium Z and Outrage accomplishes everything Tectonic Rage can while also breaking Grass-types. Crunch doesn't hit anything notable and if you're concerned about being Choice-locked against a fat Grass-type, having Tectonic Rage and Glare isn't going to help you.

Also, I can't think of any reason that you'd rather use Glare than DD. Fast things get KO'd, fat things get broken (+1 252 Atk Zygarde-10% Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 84+ Def Hippowdon: 285-336 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery).

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
There's really no reason to use Groundium Z on Zygarde-10%, because a set with Dragonium Z and Outrage accomplishes everything Tectonic Rage can while also breaking Grass-types. Crunch doesn't hit anything notable and if you're concerned about being Choice-locked against a fat Grass-type, having Tectonic Rage and Glare isn't going to help you.

Also, I can't think of any reason that you'd rather use Glare than DD. Fast things get KO'd, fat things get broken (+1 252 Atk Zygarde-10% Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 84+ Def Hippowdon: 285-336 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery).
Apart from with Dragonium Z, I get my one time opportunity (Z move) blocked by faries without a way around that (unlike the smackdown effect from 1000A), and Outrage on it's own is not really my style due to fatigue, alas moves like it I tend to stay away from if I can help it (stat lowers like CC/Superpower I don't like for this reason, as much as they can kill).

And like I said, the MU with Gliscor I can win due to the burst in damage through the Z-move. Whereas Banded 1000A barely 2HKOes even when Adamant, evidence:

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 166-196 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Inc. crap around Protect/Roost stalling and... yeah.... I know you'll probably say Banded Outrage as well... but the locking and general risk isn't worth it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 220-261 (62.5 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Apart from with Dragonium Z, I get my one time opportunity (Z move) blocked by faries without a way around that (unlike the smackdown effect from 1000A), and Outrage on it's own is not really my style due to fatigue, alas moves like it I tend to stay away from if I can help it (stat lowers like CC/Superpower I don't like for this reason, as much as they can kill).

And like I said, the MU with Gliscor I can win due to the burst in damage through the Z-move. Whereas Banded 1000A barely 2HKOes even when Adamant, evidence:

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 166-196 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Inc. crap around Protect/Roost stalling and... yeah.... I know you'll probably say Banded Outrage as well... but the locking and general risk isn't worth it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Outrage vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Gliscor: 220-261 (62.5 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
In all honesty, I didn't realize you were adamant until I saw the reply but, going adamant is not a good idea for any set that zydoge wants to go for. Being able to outspeed Latias, non-scarf keldeo, and Gengar is important, as well as to force speed ties with Raikou and Starmie. To sacrifice all that speed to take out a Gliscor (or a couple other bulky flying types) makes no sense in a fast meta. Also, when using groundium z without dragon dance you're giving up power as even in the replay you could of 2hko'd the jellicent on the switch instead of dealing 33% dmg then glaring with a follow up of getting knocked out by scald, you also wouldn't have had to risk getting outsped by scarf flygon while taking that big dmg from eq and praying for para hax; tho the player should of knocked it out with dragon claw/outrage. By the way, with the part of a fairy blocking your dragon z-move, there aren't many fairies that want to come in on Zydoge due to the fear of getting OHKOd or 2hko by thousand arrows.
In all honesty, there is not much reward in using your groundium z set in this type of meta, there's a reason why choice banded and dragon dance are Zygarde's best sets. And if you want to use a support move, toxic is a decent option that catches quagsire, swampert, and intimidate krookodile. Also, even if you don't like a move, you gotta include it in your set if it's good; doesn't mean you have to use it, just looks good; plenty of players do that.

Raikou just got a lot better since Kingdra will mostly be special on rain teams, and raikou dumps on rain teams. Clefable can't take spec volt switchs, and Manetine will definitely be a top defensive threat since it has defog, roost, scald, and an amazing ability in the form of Water Absorb, not to mention it has great defensive typing.

I am thinking things like CroCune won't be as good since CM Clef will probably be a better defensive sweeper in general, and things like Mantine and Volcanion really wall Suicine.

Keldeo just gained 2 soft checks and a full on counter...nice I guess?

Clefable seems like it is going to dominate, it checks a ton of good mons such as Keld, Lati, Hydre, Zydoge, and Krookodile. And more importantly, it can do pretty mich anything from being a cleric, sweeper, hazard setter, lure, status setter, and all-out attacker thanks to LO + Magic Guard.

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I was laddering for this ULT garbo and a set I have been using on GrilledClawitzer advice that just has a stupidly good match-up versus a lot of team (okay may sound dumb but hear me out):

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Hasty Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Superpower / Hidden Power Electric (mantine) / Earth Power

• Alright this thing hits an amazing 393 speed when scarfed and acts as a great water check. This set was something born off of me needing something fast but still capable of dealing with azumarill for the most part on more offensive balances. Steam eruption being HydroScald coming off of base 130 sp.attack hits incredibly hard (ill post some calcs) and gives you some nice surprise factor being able to lure in mons like Gliscor, Thundurus, Alakazam, Gengar, nidoking, cobalion, etc. The amount of mons it can check on typing along such as scizor, primarina, bisharp is great as well. Superpower will let you lure in blissey after 1-2 switch ins from steam eruption and I run a hasty natures over naive since primarina (zzz) already has a small chance to 2hko with moonblast while the loss of defence ain't huge.
Azumarill Rk:
252 SpA Volcanion Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 250-296 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thundurus:
252 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 217-256 (72.5 - 85.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gengar:
252 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 228-268 (88 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Bisharp:
252 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 241-285 (88.9 - 105.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Honestly I just like the idea of hydro with 95% accuracy only needing minimal prior damage on a lot of mons to acquire a ko while pressuring with possible burns when they try to check with azumarill or lati.

With Clefable no longer being cancer anymore, it still going to be a very solid mon on most balanced and defensive teams. Twave might not be as useful anymore, so something else could be put in its place.

Also with Beedrillite about to be released soon, I think Mega Beedrill will actually have a lot of fun this time around. Not having to run Protect anymore opens up a few more options; you can actually run Knock Off with Drill Run on the same set now and if you're feeling really ballsy, put SD or Fell Stinger in the last slot.

Personally I'd go with Fell Stinger - most Rock and Steel-types have high enough Defence that they can survive a Drill Run, and most Electirc-types have low enough Defence that Poison Jab can take them out. With Adaptability Fell Stinger is as strong as an Unstabbed Earthquake.

Mantine can shut down Rain teams without breaking a sweat, only fearing Thundurus and Kabutops. And if keeping hazards up was hard before, it now got even harder. Clefable I think will be a great bulky sweeper - while it doesn't hit as hard as Reuniclus and Necrozma, it has much better typing. I'm looking forward to trying out Mantine and Clefable. Not fussed about Kingdra, it was nothing spectacular last generation and I'd rather use my Z crystal elsewhere.

Welp. Looks like I'm back to HP Electric Keldeo for the time being.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Kingdra got a suspect, and I expect it's DD set to be the most used, due to it being a monster in Rain, and actually remaining threathning outside of it.
Last, but not least, did we get no rises?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Welp. Looks like I'm back to HP Electric Keldeo for the time being.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Kingdra got a suspect, and I expect it's DD set to be the most used, due to it being a monster in Rain, and actually remaining threathning outside of it.
Last, but not least, did we get no rises?
Nope, no rises this time. The rising candidates (Amoongus, Keldeo, Bisharp, Mega-Sharpedo) were all around 2-2.5% usage this round.

Anyways, Mantine is going to be pretty strong defensive presence in UU for sure. Adding on to the already long list of bulky Water-types and hazard removers. With Kingdra back in the tier, I can see rain being the "new toy syndrome" (it'll probably be pretty strong) but, Mantine can stop rain except for Kabutops, Ludicolo with HP Electric and Thundurus (e-mentioned already). Clefable is pretty solid I would assume, pure Fairy-typing is pretty strong and has access to 2 great abilities.

Hmm, I feel like stall might be a lot more prevalent with Clefable and possibly Mantine in the tier for some reason, also wallbreakers and stallbreakers leaving the tier due to earlier bans definitely helps bolster the play style a bit.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I currently can't view usage stats on mobile, so could someone drop the usage stats of UU hopefuls Xurkitree, Mimikyu, Alolan Muk, Zapdos, and Mamoswine. I want to see if UU will be worth playing in the future.

Also, onto the imminent Drizzle ban discussion, instead of banning rain, could Swift Swim be banned instead? Drizzle wasn't that bad since the start of the gen, the only thing looking to push Rain over the edge is Kingdra, and in ORAS its abscence still didn't prevent its ban.

Is Drizzle the real culprit, or is Swift Swim the thing that pushes it over the edge? (Also we want Rain Balance to prosper!!!)

I currently can't view usage stats on mobile, so could someone drop the usage stats of UU hopefuls Xurkitree, Mimikyu, Alolan Muk, Zapdos, and Mamoswine. I want to see if UU will be worth playing in the future.
| 43 | Xurkitree | 3.980% |
| 37 | Mimikyu | 5.019% |
| 46 | Muk-Alola | 3.538% |
| 33 | Zapdos | 5.286% |
| 40 | Mamoswine | 4.477% |

Also, onto the imminent Drizzle ban discussion, instead of banning rain, could Swift Swim be banned instead? Drizzle wasn't that bad since the start of the gen, the only thing looking to push Rain over the edge is Kingdra, and in ORAS its abscence still didn't prevent its ban.

Is Drizzle the real culprit, or is Swift Swim the thing that pushes it over the edge? (Also we want Rain Balance to prosper!!!)
This is up to the council to be fair. Drizzle is, in my opinion, the problem, because Swift Swim isn't broken without Drizzle. Also, rain abusers are not only Swift Swim users; Toxicroak, Azumarill, Volcanion, Keldeo, Thundurus, Heliolisk, Tornadus, Tentacruel and other Water-types are really annoying under rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)