Resource SM RU Sample Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
approved by atomicllamas
op reference taken from here

Chill Shadow made this
SM RU is a different metagame from that of ORAS, and can be a bit hard to get into. The purpose of this thread is to provide decent / good teams that everyone can use and get a feel of the metagame. If you are going to post a team, please give a small description of the team like what it does, and what its weak too. This does not have to be RMT quality, just enough to give the user an idea of how to use your team, and what to watch out for when playing with it. And post a pastebin link or importable in a hide tag to make everyone's life easier.

Also don't post teams with a Pokemon that recently got banned, if you want to post a retired team, go ahead in the RMT section.

To post in this thread, you must get an approval from me by PMing the teams beforehand. The teams that were not approved will be deleted. Thank you :toast:

Last edited:
ive been working on this team since the beginning of ru alpha and ive gotten to #1 on both alpha and beta ladders with different versions. this current version was used before bans and is subject to change.

umbreon- standard wishpasser and cleric that is a staple for most of my teams. helps deal with weaker special attackers and is a nice ghost resist. its ability helps take on sub/toxic mons that could probably break most of my team. pairs well with sableye and gligar.

sableye- sableye is a very good switch in to most hard hitting physical attackers with the typical fighting/dark coverage. its one of the best bewear answers, as well as sd lucario checks (now banned). prankster will o wisp and taunt are great support moves that help deal with bulkier teams and setup sweepers. it is also a nice lead vs suicide lead aerodactyl etc.

golbat- this mon patches up a weakness to pangoro and venomoth (now banned) which not very many defensive things can deal with. it's speed allows me to outspeed jolly pangoro and be able to switch into it somewhat easily. infiltrator allows me to hit mons like comfey and venomoth behind subs. it also does well vs bulkier teams.

gligar- gligar is easily one of the best defoggers in the tier and is very hard to break. spdef allows it to basically live any hits that arent ice type moves and roost them off comfortably. for example, i can stay in to defog on common bulky water types like mantine and milotic. this mon pairs well with umbreon and pyukumuku. it also helps me not get 6-0d by scarf gardevoir. the reason i run mono knock off is to help wear down defoggers and spinners by knocking off their leftovers and chipping away. i dont need any coverage because the rest of my team can deal with steel types.

pyukumuku- one of the best mons to use on stall in ru, pyukumuku deals with almost every single setup sweeper including crawdaunt (now banned), feraligatr, venomoth (to an extent), hawlucha (now banned), non lo or jolly lucario (now banned), non taunt comfey, etc. it can also revenge almost any hard hitting physical attacker with counter. pairs very well with umbreon and espeon, which can bounce/synchronize status and taunts. the z move allows it to switch into any move banded crawdaunt throws at it besides crunch, which isnt as common as switcheroo, superpower, or aerial ace. z counter can also pick off weakened pangoro, lucario, and other fighting weak or focus sash mons.

espeon- many people have criticized me for my espeon spread, however i feel that it works the best on my team. spdef investment allows it to comfortably switch into modest lo nidoqueen and threaten them out while healing off the damage. it also helps deal with a lot of stallbreakers that carry taunt+status, such as jellicent. morning sun, psyshock, and calm mind should probably always be used on this team and the 4th move can either be dazzling gleam, shadow ball, or hp fire. this is also one of the best checks to cm taunt comfey. the speed investment allows me to outspeed +speed base 80s. it can be invested a little more for rotoms, silvallys, roserades, etc.

problems i have come across with this team include-

mega glalie- my only real switch into mega glalie is sableye and it takes about 60 from return. it can also set up spikes and hit most of my mons for a 2hko.

hazard stack + pursuit- my only real way of countering hazard stack is espeon, which can switch into common hazard setters like qwilfish, defensive chesnaught, cofagrigus, nidoqueen, omastar, and non lo roserade. these mons paired with a well played pursuit trapper can easily break my team, due to baton pass being illegal.

strong electric/ice coverage- mons like hp ice vikavolt and galvantula can hit my special walls super effectively and somewhat damage my team. usually they dont run specs or life orb, but when they do its difficult to play around.

gardevoir- specs gardevoir 2hkos every mon on my team with the right prediction. i may have to play very aggressively around it until i knock off its specs so i can safely switch in with pyukumuku or gligar.

guts sd heracross- this mon has absolutely no switch ins and will blow back almost any stall team without a trapper. golbat can revenge kill and pyukumuku can counter.

some match ups you may have to predict a lot to keep stealth rocks up and hazards off your side. cm espeon is a great wincon vs most bulky teams and can catch escavalier off guard with hp fire on the switch. do not switch in espeon to physical rockers unless you absolutely need to to have a chance at winning. mons like donphan, gigalith, aerodactyl, and accelgor are much better dealt with by gligar.

i will probably continue to make changes to this team as more bans happen and the tier gets more stable. id like to see baton pass being unbanned to be able to utilize mons like shedinja and espeon a lot better. most of my battles dont last over 50 turns because i win most match ups and most teams people use happen to be very offensive and worn down easily. i have thought about changing umbreon to either a z move audino or mega audino when its released so it cant be tricked by common scarfers such as rotom, and wont have to stay in and wish to heal up. i may also try to fit a steel type to deal with psychic/fairy coverage better. there may be more weaknesses to the team that i havent come across yet. as soon as beta came out i went 56-3 on the ladder with versions of this team. it works well if you play it right considering the current meta seems weak to stall and has difficulty breaking pyukumuku+support. :p

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 240 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Roost

Pyukumuku @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Unaware
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Counter
- Toxic
- Soak
- Recover

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Morning Sun
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish
- Seed Flare

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Drill Run
- Megahorn

Espeon @ Twisted Spoon
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Head Smash

Fun offensive team full of setup sweepers and powerful attackers designed to overwhelm opposing teams, just straight power with all the risks involved. But thats fun! SD Hera is really damn good, insanely hard to switch into. Jolly cause on this type of teams you have to go for the speed ties at times and it is better to secure one at least against stuff like kingdra, toxicroak and kommo-O. Scarf Shaymin provides a great revenge killer and key healing wish support to give all the setup sweepers a second chance. Dazzling gleam, earth power and seed flare provide the best coverage to revenge kill many threats (salazzle, dragon dance kommo-O and feraligatr).

Gligar is the main glue of the team and rocker cause I dont think I needed defog when I could just use my turns attacking whats in front of me tbh. Banded Escavalier gives the team a good fairy resist and appreciates healing wish, bug spam core with heracross and just hits hella hard. Good stuff. CM Espeon is an odd fit tbh but managed to earn a place here. Hazard deterrent and good speed tier, twistedspoon gives that extra edge of damage against stuff like florges and what not. Last but not least important we have Tyrantrum with is the way of not getting rofl stomped by talonflame and rock polish is just hilariously good. Jolly to get the jump on scarf durant and cheesy sun teams.

Have fun, remember to take risks! Cheers!

Edit: Spirit mentioned the possibility of running sand veil over hyper cutter to dodge good stuff against sand teams, like toxic and stuff, which sounds dope. Never be ashamed of taking advantage of RNG. Also credits to him.

Last edited:

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Rock Blast

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze
- Scald

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 38 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Flygon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Escavalier (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 236 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

This is a nice balance team build around a hazard-core of Gigalith and Mantine. Since Volt-Turn is very annoying for this core, I added All-out-Attacker Nidoqueen with stabs+BoltBeam to pivot into any voltswitches/Electric attacks and punish everything that dares to come in.
Added DD Flygon as a Ground immunity. Its also a sweeper that appreciates the wallbreaking potential of Nidoqueen since the combination of BoltBeam Ko's most Ground immune Pokemons in the tier. Dragonium Z over Groundium Z was chosen since most fairy's are already hurt alot by a +1 Earthquake and Z-Outrage helps getting past a weakened ground imunity that might have survived Nidoqueen.
This latest addition made the team quite weak to Ice and the likes of cm Reuniclus/Slowbro so Resttalk SD Escavalier was added to pivot in and not be scared of status aswell. It also increases the team's matchup against stall.
Even though the team has 2 fighting resists both are quite shaky therefore Florges was added. The speed EV's make sure it outspeeds max speed adamant Bewear. With heal bell toxic spam on Gigalith and mantine is kept in check to increase their longetivity. Wish was preferred over synthesis since Sand stream reduces the amount of HP restored.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- X-Scissor
- Protect

Xatu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Night Shade
- U-turn
- Toxic

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Soak
- Toxic
- Recover
- Counter

Florges @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

I've messed with a few different variants of Sheddy stall so far in RU, and this has been the most effective one I've found so far. I'll start with set details.
  • Staring with Sheddy itself, a lack of Baton Pass due to RU's ban on it pretty much necessitates 2 attacking moves on Shedinja. I messed around with Secret Power early on (it's a no-contact Body Slam) but moved on to X-Scissor after it became clear the added power helped more than the para chance. EVs are obvious, you don't need to worry about lowering speed like on the OU set since BP is banned.
  • Xatu is next, for the obvious reasons of walling a number of defensive Pokemon with Magic Bounce. The set is fairly standard, but Psychic is something to consider over Night Shade for damage, as this team does sometimes struggle against Poisons. Xatu is a fairly bad Poison counter overall though, so Psychic is only effective when the Poisons switch INTO Xatu, which is why I've opted for Night Shade instead. Espeon might also be interchangable for Xatu, but with Baton Pass banned Espeon is simply a bit worse at the niche because it doesn't have the bulk to survive Pursuits (where Xatu is capable of beating Pursuit users).
  • Gligar is a must have for this team. It condenses Rocks, Defog, and strong physical wall into 1 Pokemon. It's unfortunately a pretty dead weight when it comes to actually dealing damage because it's forced into a single attacking move, which can cause some issues since sometimes it's been unable to deal damage to Pokemon like Honch. You could try running Knock off or Rock Slide for better coverage, but then you lose your ability to effectively deal with some of the Rock and Steel rockers.
  • Porygon2 is a pretty significant member of the team, as it's my best bet against Special and mixed attackers. Tri + Ice + Toxic covers pretty much everything except for Steels, making Porygon2 often a pain to deal with for your opponent. Trace often comes in clutch, especially when copying abilities like Reuniclus' Magic Guard, Persian's Fur Coat, or Nidoqueen's Sheer Force. I've tried Cresselia before in this role before but it had some issues with Xatu being on the same team.
  • Pyukumuku is the extremely manditory unaware mon. Most boosters in this tier are physically oriented, and many of the ones that are special have some sort of issue with Shedinja, meaning that between the two a large amount of boosters in the tier are completely shut down. Pyuku is probably the MVP of this team, and often wins games simply by existing. Soak + Toxic is also very annoying for any team with only 1 poison/steel type, as it often forces bad plays.
  • Florges is the very much needed cleric. I think Umbreon is viable in this spot too, but I currently think Florges a little better for a few reasons. First, it deals with non-Gunk Pangoro, which would lead 6-0 this team if Umbreon was in this slot. It also deals with Kommo-o much better, which would otherwise take a pretty significant amount of guesswork to beat. On top of that, it's actually a pretty good recipient for a TrickScarf if you can scout it out, as Florges often comes in, uses 1 move, and switches out even when it's not choiced locked. If you're not a fan of Synthesis, Protect or maybe even Calm Mind are possible replacements.
The overall strategy with this team is to control hazards and Toxicstalling everything that can kill Shedinja. For obvious reasons, any Poison or Steel that can deal damage to Shedinja is a huge threat vs this team, and have to be whittled down by damage either through Soaked Toxic, raw attacking damage, hazard damage, or burns. Some things to note when playing the team is that while you want Rocks to come down ASAP, Gligar actually performs pretty poorly vs a lot of meta mons, and is pretty liable to being 2hko'd by a significant portion of the meta because of it, meaning it's actually pretty hard to get rocks down since it's not that rare for entire teams to be threats vs Gligar. In general you have to know what your threats are and what you can't counter. Xatu still can only barely survive attacks from defensive Pokemon even when fully invested due to its sheer frailty, Pyuku still is clean 2hko'd by every special attacker in the tier (so you can't stop any special boosters with it), and Florges and Gligar have no way to touch anything that they can't kill with their STABs. You also need to know when to consume Focus Sash. Shedinja has enough raw power to dispatch many of its threats after a some chip given it consumes its Focus Sash, and sometimes you can force a situation where you can put the last Pokemon that can deal Shedinja into Shadow Sneak range by consuming a Sash and using X-Scissor, or crippling one of the main threats vs your team by consuming a Sash to burn them (ex vs Pangoro).

The biggest threats to this team are offensive Poisons (ex Roserade, Salazzle), Defensive Rockers that you can't easily beat with EQ, Toxic, or Sheddy (ex Zong), Pangoro of all kinds (TPunch+Gunk 6-0s this team), and Hurricane (ex Swellow, Oricorio-Ghost). Umbreon > Florges would help patch some of these holes, but also create others, so it's really a choice of "what do you want to lose to".

phantom

Banned deucer.
Standard Nidoqueen loses to porygon2:

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 110-133 (29.4 - 35.5%) -- 17.9% chance to 3HKO

The only way it would win is if p2 lost its eviolite or if Nidoqueen runs unconventional moves such as Focus Blast or Taunt; it can't employ either of those moves, however, without a lot of cut into its effectiveness given how much more significant moves like Thunderbolt, Sludge Wave, and Stealth Rock are.

Also, to make this clear since this isn't the first time it happened, I would prefer to keep this thread clean so that people can just easily access and view teams without shifting through comments, which is kind of the point of this project. If you want to comment on something, do so via VMs so you can point out something that needs to be fixed to the creator of the team without cluttering the thread. Thanks.

This team is centered on wearing down threats that defeat Linoone. Linoone is an underrated threat in the current metagame; it is able to easily rip through a large part of the metagame after a Belly Drum. The defensive core of the team, which consists of Registeel, Cresselia, and Chesnaught, attempt to wear down the opposition through residual damage. Toxic Stalling is a key component of this team; keeping up hazards is also important as well. This team should be played with the aforementioned goal in mind at all times. The walls are designed to wear down the opposition for the sweepers, and should be played relatively 'recklessly' compared to normal balance teams. Trading health in order to status the opposition is a move that should be considered at all times. For example, staying in on a Donphan to Toxic it is an acceptable move depending on the utility Registeel has in that specific game. Chesnaught's Rocky Helmet is the team's primary tool for wearing down nuisances such as Escavalier; Spiky Shield helps with this as well. Skill Swap on Cresselia is key in letting the team handle CM Reuniclus, which is otherwise a major threat.

The other half of the team is a more offensively-oriented core. Zoroark is an integral member of the team; I almost always disguise it as Linoone, as the threat of Belly Drum often forces the opposition to stay in against the disguised-Zoroark. Of course, if you are playing someone with a Froslass lead, for example, you can choose to disguise it as Registeel, subsequently forcing them to Taunt and making your lead matchup much easier. Flamethrower is nice for hitting Steel-types; it also hits Pokemon such as Toxicroak hard. Extrasensory is also an option that hits Toxicroak, Nidoqueen, and Kommo-O harder. Flamethrower is usually more useful in terms of this team. Memento is the key to this set; Zoroark works extremely well with Linoone due to this move. Many of the Pokemon that are sent in to check or counter Zoroark become set-up fodder for Linoone after a Memento; this combination is essentially the team's main win codition. Life Orb is nice in many matchups for immediate power; Darkium Z weakens Zoroark but also gives it access to Z-Memento, which can be nice for healing one of its teammates. Black Hole Eclipse also becomes a possibility due to Sucker Punch, although it is "only" 140 BP. Firium and Psychium Z are also options that can be considered.

Comfey and Linoone are the teams two main win conditions. Both Pokemon appreciate the wearing down of Steel-types, making them a solid fit with the rest of the team. Both of these Pokemon also have priority, as does Zoroark, which makes up for the team's relative slow nature. Comfey is also able to take hits when necessary due to its bulk, so be sure to use this to your advantage. Linoone is the focal point of the team, however. Gluttony + Figy Berry + Belly Drum is an extremely threatening combination, and in tandem with Zoroark's Memento, enables Linoone to set up on many foes. The Speed EVs let Linoone reach 263 Speed, subsequently outspeeding Timid Hoopa; Hoopa isn't very common, though, so you can potentially just run 0 Speed, or however many EVs you want to use to Speed creep opposing Comfey. The coverage moves allow Linoone to deal with a vast majority of the tier after a Belly Drum. Thief essentially kills all of the same Pokemon that Shadow Claw does, but has the added benefit of being able to steal the foe's item after Linoone has consumed its berry. However, Shadow Claw is the stronger move, which can help for killing Reuniclus in particular.

Overall, this team needs to be played aggressively to function well. If you play it correctly, I'm sure you too will be able to experience the joy of dismantling entire teams with this often-ignored Pokemon :)

Alicia Florence (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Athena Glory (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Skill Swap
- Toxic
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Aika Granzchesta (Chesnaught) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Wood Hammer

Akira Ferrari (Zoroark) (F) @ Life Orb / Darkinium Z / Firium Z / Psychium Z
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flamethrower / Extrasensory
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Alice Carroll (Comfey) (F) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Triage
EVs: 120 HP / 120 Def / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss

Akari Mizunashi (Linoone) (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Thief / Shadow Claw

Last edited:

Sand Semistall around Stoutland, Gigalith Sand Stream is my Stealth Rock user and my check to flying types, Ferroseed is my water and dragon resist and also my spiker, Sableye helps me against Offensive Froslass teams and opposite defensive teams oriented as stallbreaker, also helps me against psychic types and threats such Linoone and DDGon. Umbreon is my wisher, cleric and my special defensive wall which is my answer in this team to mons such Nidoqueen. Gligar Sand Veil is my way to remove hazards and is my answer to Heracross and Virizion, thats why i'm running Acrobatics. My last mon is Stoutland which is my cleaner against offense, specially with Spikes up in late-game. Biggest weakness of this team I would say are fairy mons like CM Florges, Comfey and Slurpuff.

Gigalith @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Protect

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Return
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost
[/importable]

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus

Toxicroak @ Poisonium Z / Icium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Punch

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 232 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind / Thunder Wave

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Hey. This is a team that I've had some success with and it's really fun and uses an underrated threat so I figured I would share it with you guys! The team is based around using Z-Move Toxicroak to muscle past some of Scarf Heracross' checks. I originally used Fightinium but then decided Poisonium was better; muscles past Mantine and even stuff like Slowbro and Reuniclus at +2 so you can spam Close Combat lategame with Scarf Heracross. I chose Specs Swellow as a partner to lure in stuff that 'croak can set up on, such as the multitude of bulky water-types in the tier, gigalith, and registeel. Donphan is there for role compression and rocks; I have a ton of Spdef because Electric-types can be pretty annoying. Slowbro blanket checks many of the physical attackers in the tier and doublade is my "normal resist," i also liked how it had more reliable priority for revenge killing, and how it abused the fairies that Heracross lures in. The biggest threat to this team by far is OTR Reuniclus, it also has some trouble with Honchkrow and Nidoqueen but yeah, pretty solid overall. It's fun to use and I encourage you to use it; PM me on PS! if you have any suggestions!
replay (finals of a roomtour vs. Watchog): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7rubeta-553938237 was still using Fightinium Z but you get the idea of how the team works.

e: now that tflame's banned AV Slowking > Slowbro is what I had before I realized I was weak to talonflame, definitely something to try out : )

e2: yes definitely run av slowking

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return

Shaymin @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Florges @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Haze
There were no Snorlax teams on here, so I figured I'd drop one considering how Lax is one of the best pokemon in the tier. This is a really basic team based around bulky cores and defensive synergy. Snorlax + Florges is one of my favorite cores and builds the basis of the team. Florges heals Snorlax and takes fighting attacks and knock off for it, while Snorlax switches into fire types and Nidoqueen and stuff. I've got my trusty rocks setter in Nidoqueen it checks all sort of stuff, such as fairy-types and electric-types while also being a pain to switch into. For my hazard remover I went with Mantine. It's carrying Haze to deal with Doublade, and it also absorbs Scald for me and takes ground types attacks if needy. I've got my own Doublade as well though, since what better way to deal with opposing Snorlax? and I also needed some physical tankiness on my team. I'm sporting a neat tech here of SD + Toxic cause you can catch stuff like Gligar, Mantine, and Pyuku on the switch and then sweep later. Finally, Shaymin rounds out my team as a speedy pokemon that can also break some shit. HP Fire Shaymin is good because Escavelier is almost everywhere. You can run Scarf if you want extra insurance vs offense but it's not necessary. The overall gist of the team is you can pivot around with your defensive core, getting a chance to punch holes with Shaymin and Nido whenever possible, until you can wear stuff down for Lax to sweep.

Watch out for opposing Shaymin, but you can generally PP stall Seed Flare if you play smart with the multitude of special walls. DD Flygon is also a threat, although it doesn't set up on anything. Try to keep Florges and Lax healthy, and at worst case you can probably revenge it with Shadow Sneak.

:toast: (if you want some real funky squads and not this boring shit, hit me up on VM)

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok Ok Ok OK, some more teams

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head

Zoroark @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Trick
- Sludge Bomb

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Old classic Zoroark Shenanigans. Bulky Offense that centers around 2 swords dance sweepers + zoroark with the dark fox luring out the respective checks and counters for each of them (Lures Doublade for Virizion, as an example). SD Doublade is a great Pokemon that checks a ton of shit, reliable wincon and all that good stuff. The spdef investment makes a slightly better fairy check, and with stuff like Gardevoir around it makes the difference. Specs Zoroark is an excellent set with great coverage and good firepower. This set over a physical with like knock off cause breaking opposing doublades is necessary for the success of the team (and the mon to lure tend to be weaker on the specially defensive side) and sports great offensive synergy with Doublade itself. Mantine + Rhyperior provide the bulky core that gives the team cushion. Both possess excellent type synergy and offers the important stealth rock and hazard control so the team isnt overwhelmed by spikes. Why Rhyperior over something like Nidoqueen? Well, having a normal and flying resist is an underrated quality for many teams cause Swellow can be pain, and lets not even mention Honchkrow. Air Slash on Mantine cause giving heracross free switch-ins isnt an option.

The main benefactor from the Doublade + Zoroark. Z-Moves gave Virizion new toys to play with, giving it a 170 bp move which saves the trouble of having to pick between Zen Headbutt + Stone Edge. Continental Crush covers many of the zen headbutt targets besides Nidoqueen, which can get worn down anyways. Just gotta be more careful with water types cause lum isnt here. Last, scarf gardevoir provides an excellent offensive glue against annoying weather teams, nice revenge killer and trick to annoy bulkier teams. Psychic and Psyshock come down to preference tbh, havent felt much difference between both playing with the team so it is up to you. Play against opposing Mantines and Florges carefully, you shouldnt have much trouble.

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Fang
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Naive Nature
- Crunch
- Protect
- Psychic Fangs
- Hydro Pump

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Diancie @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast

/

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Flamethrower
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast

My version of a salazzle offensive build. Salazzle is a really cool pokemon capable of putting a dent to many bulky teams and sporting a really nice speed tier so isnt slouch against offense either, which is really notable on its own. Durant is amazing! Decided to give a Choice Band cause it can 2hko basically everything in the whole tier with that equipped and offers an important ice resist and all that good stuff. X-Scissor helps a lot against bulkier teams, easily erasing stuff like Umbreon and other fat psychic types like Slowbro and Cresselia, and even Quagsire and Pyukumuku if we count stall so balancing the benefits of Crunch and X-Scissor, stayed with the Bug STAB without even doubting. Sharpedo complements Salazzle really well, with the lizard destroying grass types and Sharpedo baiting ground types. After many disappointing experiences with Waterfall besides like pressuring Umbreon (and doesnt even do that much to it anyways) decided to use Hydro Pump which does more to its intended targets, crunch + hydro pump do much more to gligar for example. The rest is self explanatory. Naive cause getting the jump on Scarf Hera and Adamant DD Flygon is invaluable.

We all know what Gligar does, it is the stealth rock user of choice here. Ground Immunity, Heracross hard check, opposing salazzle check and a way of dealing with sand (and cheesing through it) thanks to sand veil. Now this is where it gets really interesting, a Nidoqueen obviously fits here but I wanted to cover certain bases that nidoqueen failed to cover. First was obviously the flying and normal resist, second was luring opposing doublades and flygon which is a massive threat to the build in question (hence the shuca berry) and having the dragon immunity on check (durant isnt switching into dracos, ok) while helping with Umbreon better than Nidoqueen would. Last, but not less important Kommo-O offers a response to Sun, nice wallbreaker and a bunch of important resistances. I have specs in this but gonna put the autotomize set which has proven to be pretty good, really something to try out yourself. Fairly impressed with it tbh.

Have fun!

This version is heavily outdated, use the one in this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ru-sample-teams-thread.3598090/page-2#post-7435171

Last edited:

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

First post in RU subforum, yay. Wanted to get into RU, and decided I needed to build a decent team and play on the ladder to gain a better understanding of the metagame. This has been my most consistent squad thus far. The main goal of this team is to set up a sweep with either Honchkrow, Bruxish or Doublade. Galvantula & Kommo-o provide support by pressuring the opposing team offensively and Donphan provides rocks + hazard control as well as a handy pivot.

Now, I decided to run Galvantula over Shuckle, since it can actually do something, other than hazard stack. Thunder + Bug Buzz are obligatory STAB, and in this case I decided to run HP Ice, hitting Flygon, Gligar. & Nidoqueen harder than Energy Ball (note: you can run Energy Ball if you really want to). Galvantula has the added bonus of pressuring every hazard controller in the tier, something Shuckle cannot achieve. Applying pressure to opposing dark types outside of Kommo-o, is also nice. Donphan provides spin + rocks; its EVs allow it to out speed base 70s (thanks TheWall for EV spread) & 2hko Doublade, rest is dumped into HP for extra fatness. Knock Off is useful to remove Eviolite/Leftovers from Gligar/Mantine switch ins, providing some utility for the rest of the team; I could see a case for Ice Shard if you want to be different.

On to the wallbreaker core from hell: Bruxish + Kommo-o. Bruxish is amazing with web support, this set aims to capitalise on maximising Bruxish's sweeping potential. Out pacing Pokemon such as Virizion, Jolteon & Durant with Sticky Web up is a huge benefit to it. Dark types, in particular, are a problem for Bruxish; Kommo-o is the perfect partner. Due to its superb typing and bulk, Kommo-o is relatively easy to bring in multiple times throughout the match. Threatening opposing dark types as well as being incredibly difficult to switch into. In this case, I chose to run Draco Meteor + Clanging Scales to hit opposing Kommo-o; (lol, for real: having a non SpA reducing STAB that doesn't miss is nice) Flash Cannon hits Fairy switch ins, and Kommo-o deals enough damage to Doublade for that lack of coverage to not be a problem. It's very important to run Soundproof otherwise Swellow will be a problem. Together Bruxish + Kommo-o have enough power to beat fat/stall builds, with web support they're able to pressure offence adequately too.

Honchkrow is another wallbreaker/sweeper, which is even better with web support. Supersonic Skystrike is a huge bonus to Honch, allowing it to deal massive damage to bulky waters as well as any other fat mons before they can do anything, z-Mirror Coat also acts as an immediate +2 boost should you foresee a switch and require early/mid game breaking. Sucker Punch, since you can never have enough priority + Superpower for Steel/Rock type switch ins. Doublade serves multiple uses for this team; spin block (lol), bulky af pivot, SD sweeper & Pursuit trapper! That's right, Pursuit. Pursuit versus: Psychic types (Espeon, Gardevoir, etc.), Normal/Flying type Pokemon (Swellow, Braviary, Dodrio, etc.), fat Pokemon that can't touch Doublade (Registeel), as well as choice locked mons. Pursuit is for chipping the opposing Pokemons' HP, allowing you to threaten a late game sweep with this teams multiple forms of priority. Doublade is the teams main Fighting type deterrent and is a decent late game cleaner to boot.

This team isn't without its weakness' Sneasel is a pain in the ass (lol Doublade can threaten with Iron Head, force the switch Pursuit + Hazards stack up), no switch ins to Banded Pangoro, Specs Moltres & Kommo-o. The team is HO, and aims to beat the opposing team by smashing them in the face, you're not meant to switch around often whilst using this team and you will be forced to play mindfully. All up I enjoyed using this team in RU, and it should hopefully help you to learn more about RU too!
Bruxish @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sticky Web

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 188 HP / 152 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Clanging Scales

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance

Honchkrow @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Mirror Move

The first team I made entering RU Alpha / Beta. I made numerous changes which I'll also go over. Starting off, I thought SubToxic Mantine was an often overlooked set as a lot of people automatically uses it to Defog. SubToxic Mantine pressures a ton of Pokemon. For example, you aren't forced out by opposing Mantines fearing a Toxic. You also deal a good amount of damage with Scald while possibly spreading burns onto Physical Attackers which will greatly support the team. To add onto chip damage, Bronzong and Chesnaught were added for hazards in Stealth Rock and Spikes respectively. Bronzong also helped spread Toxic around on fatter Pokemon or set up sweepers that look to set up on it and puts a time limit on what they can do. At the time, Chesnaught was mainly added to not get crushed by Crawdaunt but it still functions really well in blanket checking a variety of Physical Attackers such as Flygon, and Swords Dance Zoroark. Gligar was then added for hazard removal. I decided to go with a defogger because of the actual chance of me getting 3 layers of spikes and Stealth Rock up is incredibly low so using Defog wouldn't be that detrimental to earlier Pokemon. I noticed I lacked a win condition at this point so I decided to add Calm Mind Florges. It also takes on the task of checking Honchkrow as its EV'd to outspeed it and OHKO with Moonblast. Florges often catches a lot of people off guard and tends to win games fairly easily once the right Pokemon are KO'd or weakened to the point Florges can handle them. This last slot has changed so many times because of me finding new weaknesses to the team or the meta changing a bit due to new bans or trends. At first, the last slot was Sneasel which was mainly to help against Reuniclus and Zoroark as the rest of the team is fairly slow and struggles a lot against them. I didn't like Sneasel much due to how hard it is to actually get it into the match so I later switched in for Mega Glalie which honestly isn't too better but the wallbreaking power and priority was worth trying for. I later used Drapion which honestly sucked. I then moved to a double CM core with Spiritomb and Florges, although it did work the best out of all the other Pokemon, the team was incredibly passive which cost me a lot of games. I later ended with Choice Band Snorlax. Its tanky, it hits incredibly hard while being able to check the Pokemon I struggle with the most which was Reuniclus and Nasty Plot Zoroark. Snorlax being able to break through a lot of fat Pokemon which made the chip damage from hazards or status even more valuable as it called for a Florges clean up quicker.

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Synthesis

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost

Florges-White @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Snorlax @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

I got the idea of Ghostium Z Mismagius from a SPL match earlier. I started off with that and went with a Pokemon I believed complemented it really well which was Swords Dance Zoroark (explanation here). Gigalith was then added for reliable Stealth Rocks and for its overall tankiness which I thought would make up for me starting off with two of the most fragile Pokemon. Hitmonlee is used for its wallbreaking potential along with its ability to clear hazards. It isn't as afraid as spinblockers such as Jellicent as it pressures them with the likes of Knock Off. I went with Choice Specs Kommo-o next to help set up either a Mismagius clean up or Zoroark clean up. Shaymin was then added as an offensive cleric with Healing Wish which can change the tides of a game entirely. This team is mostly going for some sort of set up through the mind games that's able to be played through Illusion. The wallbreakers cover a large portion of the meta on their own as nothing switches into the two reliably. Some things this team may struggle with is breaking through stuff such as Umbreon as Focus Blast from Kommo-o isn't too reliable and High Jump Kick gets gotted by Protect. Dazzling Gleam is an option to run over Mystical Fire on Mismagius, but I preferred it because of me lacking continuous Escavalier switch-ins. Another problem this team faces is Sticky Webs. The team isn't all too fast to begin with so when Sticky Web offense comes into play, its really hard to deal with sometimes for an offensive team to get some sort of momentum going, especially if the opponent plays really well.

Gigalith @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Mismagius @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Mystical Fire

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

I'll probably build more teams later on and see how they go and maybe post it here (if they get approval of course). These two teams are the ones I've had the most success and fun playing with.

Last edited:
a couple to get things circulating

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Shadow Ball

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Synthesis
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kommo-o @ Fightinium Z
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Focus Blast
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

i think this pretty aptly puts across what i'd consider to be a "standard" froslass hyper offense in this meta, fitting the formula of lass / sr / secondary ghost / beater / cleaner / utility and filling necessary utility functions like scald switch, sucker punch resist (honchkrow being a major presence v.teams of this nature), etc. max special attack froslass offers a more consistent performance in this metagame than most others, for being able to both beat espeon and mirror lass' through icy wind + shadow ball consistently, though of course the necessity for this would be downplayed on a variation where you've got a pokemon immediately faster than base 110. the most unorthodox item here is of course autotomize kommo-o, a bit of a pet project of mine that i think functions at a unique crossroads of cleaning ability (something supplemented by that 'surprise' aspect, since few offenses are worried about kommo-o doing much more than trading a hit and being popped off in turn) v.value against balanced teams, who as is struggle to switch in w.o a sustainable fairy. boltbeam queen is my preferred set in the doublade + froslass context, given the priority to threaten a fairy outright is mitigated in preference of keeping both mantine and gligar honest. the most demonstrably weak match-up this team suffers is to stall packing the aforementioned lasting fairy, but for the most part it will perform consistently.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 144 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Umbreon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Goodra @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 176 HP / 148 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 104 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

cm bro balance is a little more odd to facilitate than it has been in other metagames, due to burns being less broken and milotic being fairly commonplace, but it's doable for sure. water-z was chosen here for it's ability to both offer a soft-check to orb heracross, a means of preventing the pangoro revenge-kill (koing at a fairly consistent rate w/+1 hydro vortex after sr), and allowing it to push heightened levels of activity v.boosters like dd flygon. rotom-h offers a neat pivot here that both checks escavalier, honchkrow, and special fires. goodra + hera as the top-off improves the overall activity of the team in a meaningful way, granting alternative win conditions and filling defensive gaps decently. the interactions between the two are pretty cool on a general level (especially in a context where you can play goodra into scald w/o fear of being permanently crippled!) for setting one another up in various ways. though generally a pretty straightforward team, as long as you weigh your options when playing spike-stack.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

lazy blissey (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 132 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return

trying flying (Gligar) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Acrobatics

hoisin poison (Dragalge) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Sludge Wave

lancy lancing (Escavalier) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

luney tuney (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

pinky finky (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

I built this team around Curselax + Gligar as it checks the metagames top threats like Nidoqueen and Heracross. Snorlax also gives my team a win condition while gligar beats fighting types in general. Snorlax's ability Thick Fat lets it check ice types which threaten Gligar out as it is x4 weak. Next I added Dragalge which might seem as an odd choice but it checks most water types as well as beating sun which is a very good playstyle. Escavalier was my next addition to the team as it beats Specs Gardevoir, as well as stall breaker Comfey. Umbreon was the next addition to the team because it provides me with WishPass as well as Cleric support which is a must on every stall team. Moltres was the last added pokémon as it helps me beat Pangoro, Escavalier and Heracross. The rocks weakness might seem very dissapointing and it is but not so bad so it can't switch into attacks. Toxic helps it get past bulkier pokemon while Will-o-Wisp beats physical attackers. If you want more in-depth reasoning go to my rmt

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

teethy feethy (Bruxish) @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet

darky sharky (Sharpedo) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

spiky piky (Chesnaught) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch

rusty rust (Salazzle) @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- U-turn

dicy icy (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 56 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off

Hello again, this team I built shortly after the past one as I wanted to build around the water spam core of Bruxish + Sharpedo. They weaken eachothers checks to eventually let one of them sweep as both of them can be dangerous sweepers late game. Next I added Chesnaught as I needed a Grass and an Electric resist as well as giving me a Psychic + Dark + Fighting core. I was still very weak to Bug types like Heracross, Yanmega, Durant or Escavalier so I chose to add NP Taunt Salazzle to allow me to also have a very good matchup against stall, this also gave me a Water + Grass + Fire core. Gligar was my next pokémon as it gives me Stealth Rocks as well as giving me a better check to Heracross. Cryogonal was my next addition as I literally dropped to any sight of Nidoqueen as well as providing my team with hazard removal.

B-29 (Mantine) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Roost
- Defog

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock

Dubstep (Noivern) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 116 HP / 204 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Facade

Winona (Yanmega) (F) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Giga Drain

This is my first team and I based it on using Noivern and Yanmega as I quite like them. The Mantine gets rid of rocks and Haze prevents Cresselia and Doublade from setting up on it; Doublade also has to watch out for getting burned. Shaymin is the standard fast scarfer although my team doesn't like Escav much so if you want to kill it then HP Fire can also be a thing. Nidoqueen is the standard anti-lead set that beats most leads 1v1 (it usually beats Donphan as Eq+Ice Shard doesn't quite kill). Noivern checks most spammable offensive moves; it survives both Swellow's Boomburst and +1 Adamant Sucker Punch from Honchkrow, as well as beating every Dragon type in the tier bar Goodra and nearly every form of priority (Glalie only has a 37.5% chance to beat it 1v1). Heracross is standard Guts Heracross with Adamant for maximum power, and Yanmega is standard late game Speed Boost sweeper.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

This is a fairly basic balanced build with some of the best Pokemon in the tier. You've got the essential Nidoqueen, no team doesn't run Stealth Rock and what better Pokemon to do it besides herself? Then you've got the quintessential hazard remover in Mantine, who also happens to have really nice synergy with Nidoqueen as well. Doublade and Umbreon also form a good core themselves by covering each other's weaknesses. In general, Umbreon shares good synergy with the Pokemon its trying to support here on this team. It can sponge tbolts aimed at Mantine, it can switch into dark/ghost moves aimed at Doublade, while Nidoqueen alongside the aforementioned Doublade and Mantine both cover Umbreon's weaknesses nicely, making it a good wish passer for those 3 Pokemon. These 4 mons provide the solid backbone for the team, with Guts SD Heracross rounding up the team with its power to break past stall, and Scarf Flygon for good measure against offense and for general quick pivoting/clean up. If anything goes wrong, SD Doublade can also pull off a sweep.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Gigalith @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Acrobatics

This is a sand team I built after I realized I haven't built for sand yet even though Gigalith is one of my favourite pokemon.. so I just felt like I had to build one, this was the result. I feel like this team is really solid all-around but has a few weaknesses, namely to opposing shaymin, milotic, and a well played nidoqueen as nothing can switch into it on my team. they can all be played around, however. Stoutland absolutely demolishes milotic and should be able to outspeed Shaymin in sand and proceed to also destroy it, and Salazzle has the tools to bypass Milotic and unless shaymin is scarfed it should die to it.

Anyway onto the team itself, of course no sand team can be worth being called that without gigalith + stoutland. they're really amazing together, and just in general have really good synergy. The things that would switch into Stoutland also switch into Gigalith so that makes weakening stoutland's checks a lot easier. Jellicent is there to patch up the weakness to opposing water-types, namely slowkingbro and mantine, while also being very efficient vs stall w/ taunt. Shaymin is the scarfer of this team as a fail-safe in case the sweep with stoutland wasn't allowed to happen, and also it acts as a decent check to waters (namely any bulky water and most importantly feraligatr) while being a really solid choice scarf user in general thanks to good power w/ seed flare and access to healing wish, which can be used to give any of jellicent, stoutland, or salazzle another chance at life. and speaking of, salazzle's nasty plot set also works well here because it just beats what stoutland generally won't, like doublade and steel types in general. Gligar was added to round it all up w/ hazard removal and being able to check key threats like doublade/escavalier/heracross/virizion who are all otherwise slightly troublesome. to sum it all up, gigalith is there for rocks and spreading toxic around, stoutland sweeps w/ sand, salazzle breaks walls, scarf shaymin revenge kills + healing wish, jelli breaks waters/stall, and gligar pivots around.

overall I had a lot of fun with this team and I'm definitely gonna be building more sand squads ;o

Last edited:

Here is a very standard HO build that I have used to great success.
Let's be honest, you're really just here to grab a quick team to play some ladder games, or for a last minute room tour you joined forgetting that you don't have SM RU teams on this computer. But for those of you who would like to read a bit, here is my run down of the team:
Gets up spikes, helps prevent opposing hazard leads. Ghost typing prevents suicide spinners. D-Bond is the most common 4th move, but I like running W-o-W instead since people love switching in doublade, mantine, etc. In general people get lazy and let their bulky mons get burned which is great for the rest of the team.
2nd ghost type to help prevent mid/late game spins after froslass goes down. Can function as a good pivot and even a late game win con with SD.
Gatr is easily one of the best wallbreakers in the tier currently. Can run jolly if you fear swellow, but I personally prefer adamant for the extra power. Using gatr strategically midgame is very important to weaken the right mons for Sharpedo to clean late game.
IMO the best if not second best cleaner in the tier. With spikes up, sharpedo can easily pick apart weakened teams mid to late game.
2nd offensive hazard setter. Can come in on electric choice locked mons trying to revenge +1 gatr. Tbolt helps take care of the bulky waters that Gatr and Shark like to have gone. Nido is fantastic all around and supports offensive teams very nicely.
Fast NP user that is used to help dismember some of the common bulky offensive builds. Taunt helps prevent defog/status. Poisonium Z is nice to nuke pretty much anything neutral, especially at +2.
I personally like Firium Z just for reliability. Missing a crucial fire blast after you have set up to +2 is one of the most annoying things ever. Also +2 Z-Fireblast will usually OHKO 252/252+ Umbreon after rocks.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond / Will-O-Wisp

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z / Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

053-a.png 277.png 160.png 207.png 437.png 407.png
Persian-Alola (F) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Toxic

Swellow (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Gligar (M) @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Roserade (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Synthesis

A team that revolves around a core of Alolan Persian, Choice Specs Swellow, and Dragon Dance Feraligatr.

I´m not the most experienced player when it comes to RU as I´m relatively new to the metagame. I made this team to gain a better grasp of it, how certain Pokémon are played, which are the most commonly used sets of said Pokémon, among other things. It actually turned out to work quite nicely for me which is why I decided to post it, as it is relatively easy to play with. Something that I also aim at when I post in the forums is to get more experience as a competitive battler, so if anyone has any suggestions to inprove the team I will highly appreciate them. Anyways, let´s talk about the team.

Persian acts as a pivot and stallbreaker due to it´s ability Fur Coat, which allows it to check a good portion of the meta, and it´s acces to Taunt and Toxic to cripple opposing Pokémon. It also has acces to Foul Play which allows Persian to check physical set up sweepers like Feraligatr and Doublade. Parting Shot is a really cool move that reduces the Atk and SpA of the target by 1 stage, and after that it switches Persian out, which makes it an incredible move, not only because it generates momentum, but also makes it a lot easier for the Pokémon that will replace Persian to come in, giving that Pokémon a potential set up opportunity. What´s even better is that Persian also has an ace in the hole, which is Z-Parting Shot. This Z Move will have Persian use Parting Shot, however this time, it´s replacement will recover it´s entire health, giving a potentially weakened Pokémon a 2nd chance in the match. The EVs spread allows Persian to outspeed Lycanrock Midday Form outside of sand. The rest was put on Def to increase it´s bulk.

Swellow outspeeds almost the entire unboosted metagame which makes it a very dangerous late game cleaner once it´s checks and counters have been weakened/removed, and it´s an excellent revenge killer as well. Boomburst is a 140 base power STAB move with no drawbacks whatsoever, which makes it really powerful. Swellow also has Scrappy as it´s ability, which allows it to ignore the inmunity that Ghost Types have against Normal Type moves, making Boomburst an even bigger threath than it already is. On top of that Swellow also has acces to Heat Wave, which allows it to break through Steel Types that can switch into Boomburst, which leaves Rock Types as the only real answer to Swellow. It also has acces to U-turn which is great to generate momentum due to the fact that Swellow forces a lot of switches.

Feraligatr is another very potent threath in the RU metagame thanks to it´s ability Sheer Force, which boosts the strength of it´s attacks that have secondary effects by 30%, and nullifies Life Orb recoil on top of that, giving Feraligatr tremendous wallbreaking/late game sweeper potential. It also takes full advantage of Persian´s Parting Shot and Z-Parting Shot, as it gives Feraligatr much more freedom and opportunities to set up.

Gligar provides a check to a lot of powerful physical attackers in the tier that Persian can´t handle, such as Heracross and Flygon, as well as giving me an Electric Type inmunity which is really appreciated. I chose it over stuff like Doublade or Donphan because of it´s acces to U-turn, giving me even more opportunities to gain momentum in the match, and it´s acces to Defog, which in this particular tier is a much more reliable form of hazard control than Rapid Spin due to the abundance of Ghost Types that can switch in and spinblock your Pokémon, as well as the lack of Pokémon with the Defiant ability that can capitalyze on Defog users. Acrobatics as the 4th move so that Gligar has a way to hit Fighting Types. It also gains a boost if the user doesn´t have an item on it, which is pretty clutch considering Knock Off is a move that is very prevalent in the tier.

Bronzong is my Stealth Rock setter. I chose it because of the good amount of Pokémon it can check, and also the amount of defensive Pokémon it lures in, so that I can catch them on the switch and cripple them with Toxic to make them much more easier to wear down. Gyro Ball as my STAB to hit some faster threaths relatively hard such as Flygon and Swellow, and Earthquake to deal some good chunck of damage mainly to Fire and Steel Types that think they can switch in safely.

And last but not least Roserade. I chose it because I wanted to have acces to Spikes on this team, to make the offensive core´s work much easier, and because it´s also a Poison Type, which means that it can absorb Toxic Spikes that the opponent may have set up on my side making Gligar´s job much easier as well. It also gave me a check to Water Types which the team desperately needed, as well as providing the team with an inmunity to Leech Seed and Powder moves due to Roserade being a Grass Type. And it´s ability Natural Cure makes it a great status absorber too. The EVs spread maximizes Roserade´s physical bulk, with a little investment in Spe to outspeed opposing defensive Roserades and other slower Pokémon.

Every team has threaths to it no matter how solid it looks, and this one is no exception. Fire and Ice Type Pokémon in general can be very problematic for the team, as it lacks the proper response to them due to Bronzong lacking reliable recovery and Feraligatr being one of the win conditions of the team. Dark Types are a huge threath as well, due to having Persian as the only resistance to their STAB moves, and lacking super effective coverage to hit them with. Set up sweepers, specifically those who can increase their speed, are extremely dangerous as the team is relatively slow. Choice Scarf Pokémon, and Pokémon that are naturally faster than Swellow can be a nuisance as they outspeed the entire team. Powerful wallbreakers that can hit the team with neutral coverage are a threath as well, being those that have acces to Fire/Ice/Dark coverage the most dangerous, especially if such coverage comes from their STAB. Pokémon that would fall into this criteria are the likes of Salazzle, Cloyster, Sharpedo, Emboar, Exploud, Swellow, Kommo-o, Jolteon, Feraligatr, Umbreon, and Honchkrow among others. Calm Mind Reuniclus is also a pretty big threath, which despite being taken care of by the offensive core pretty well, the other half of the team is setup fodder for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)