Project USM OU Teambuilding Competition V2 - Round 19: Stakataka (Voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Round over, and we have two winners! A tie between the teams made by Windgrace and Flyteofheart , congrats, and I'll update the OP with your teams soon (me updating the OP is a running joke at this point, isnt it? ;_;)

Team 2 - 4
Team 5 - 3
Team 6 - 1
Team 7 - 4

Round 4:

Kartana is a mon ive had just about no success building with at all; the Scarf set is making a small surge in popularity againwhile the SD set is still a very strong wallbreaker. The goal for this round will be to build a team with Kartana! The building round will end on Friday, July 7th at 5:00 PM EST/GMT-4. Good luck and have fun building!

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace
- Smart Strike

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Spikes
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Psychic

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

While I originally wasn't a fan of Scarf Kartana, I feel like this team can pull it off well. Scarf Kartana is a great late-game cleaner thanks to Beast Boost, which can allow it to snowball out of control very quickly late game. I added Specs Ash-Gren because they can wear down each others checks (tang, av mag, etc), while Gren also provides Spikes support, which Kartana loves. I added Grassium Bulu to help vs. Stall, Zygarde, and Tapu Koko. It also provides Grassy Terrain, which can boost Kartana's Leaf Blade. Bulu in general is great at supporting the team since almost my entire team likes Grassy Terrain support, and the team also appreciates its wallbreaking power. Rocks Mew was added next to check Medicham, Mawile, and provide rocks. Psychic is my attack of choice so I can smack Toxapex pretty hard. AV Mage was added to be a blanket check to a lot of threatening Pokemon, like Lele, Greninja (both forms), Autotomize Celesteela, and Keldeo. Finally, Mega TTar was added because I wanted a solid check to offensive fire types like Tran, Volc, and Zard Y. It also functions as another late game cleaner along with Kartana because of DD. Mega TTar also really likes Bulu on the team, since Grassy Terrain removes its ground weakness, meaning it can potentially DD up vs. Lando or Chomp, then proceed to hit it hard with an Ice Punch. Mega TTars bulk allows it to potentially DD up twice to make up for its bad speed, and with grassy terrain that can be made easier potentially. Overall, I am pleased with how this team came out.

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Ktut Cut (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

Fruto seco (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Magellan (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Genjutsu (Gengar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

1K arrows (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

Miou (Mew) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 52 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

To me, there isn't many different ways to build around Kartana. I find the scarf set very funny, since it is an enhanced moxie krookodile. Since its stabs are easily walled (ferrothorn, charizard, celesteela...), hitting very hard early game and damaging steelmons/firemons is a priority: therefore setting up stealth rock quickly is nice, while using HO behemoths looks like a good idea. Besides, scarf kartana outspeeds swampert in rain, swampert being impossible to kill for HO teams due to its enormous bulk, making kartana a great pick.

So: here's some explanations of the members/sets which were quite hard to find (originally azelf HO which didn't win a single game).
Kartana is paired with Pinsir since the latter opens holes by just clicking Return. Magearna comes after because a scarf lele counter is mandatory when you use pinsir. Checking kingdra and ash-gren is necessary too. I experimented with AV magearna in HO: give it 252 speed and it outspeeds 40 speed defensive lando and hit with icebeam before it sets up rocks. Shift gear is pointless in this team. Voltswitch on tangrowth provides a free Pinsir Set up. Gengar is a great special attacker dealing with Mew, Landorus, Ferrothorn, and has no switchin in most teams ( no time to play mindgames and get walled by waters with a greninja, just click shadow ball ). Azelf->Mesprit->Mew since hitting landorus with icebeam turn1 is better than using taunt and get uturn-ed: rocks should never be allowed! It outspeed offensive lando and easily takes advantage of smeargle and azelf with voltswitch and scarf kartana 181 BS leafblade in the back. Lastly, zygarde was necessary to hold tapu koko in check and deal with firetypes while being awesome vs stall: gengar absorbs T-spikes so it can't be poisoned and recover stalled.

This team went undefeated and all the battles ended this way: scarf kartana cleans, which was the ultimate and original goal of the team!!

Mew's set: speed for banded zygarde, 104 def to avoid 2hko from banded zygarde and adamant medicham, 240 hp to hit a leftovers number (cf smogon) and avoid ohko from gren darkpulse: so you can always set up rocks and attack! 52 spa mew has 75% chance to kill landorus after stealth rock! Killing lando requires exactly 252 spa, but that is pointless since lando sets rocks up vs kartana and zygarde, moreover people usually lead with gren: you need 240 hp!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-600397899 : just to show Kartana vs swampert
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-600429462 : gengar's cursed body for the win vs marshadow
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-600423671 : hard to switch into kartana when gengar 2hkos the heatran and zygarde+pinsir weaken landorus

Last edited:

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

untested, only made this because i felt bad at seeing only 2 teams. S rank x2, Kartana, A+ rank, scarf lati for speed control and volcarona check, and wak for last bc lose to steels otherwise, knock to weaken fini which is kind of annoying for the team even if its built around kart

if anyone wants to test it and give comments hmu

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

EVs: 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spe
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Substitute

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Kartana is an interesting mon. In all my experience it either would end up snowballing and sweeping whole teams or it functioned as a very useful sack. I opted for the standard SD set. Kartana has pretty low BP moves and coverage that's resisted by much of the meta so it really needs the SD for the immediate power. Fightium-Z lets it power through stuff like Celesteela and Skarmory and at +2 it can even muscle through Volcarona and Charizard Y with All Out Pummeling.

Next up is Tapu Fini. Fini has great defensive synergy with Kartana, provides Defog support and Taunt can shut down a lot of hazard setters and set-up mons. Not to mention Misty Terrain is great for Kartana to prevent burns. Every team can benefit from Lando-T and this team is no exception. Lando is my rocker and it's role is pretty well known by everyone who's played even a little bit of OU in any of the past few generations. HP Ice for opposing Lando-T and Zygarde and U-turn lets it pivot versus other switches. I added Alolan Marowak because it is great versus Tapu Koko and a lot of Volt-Turn combinations in the tier. Sub is there for better matchup versus stall and to give Wak more opportunity to start punching holes through teams with Thick Club boosted Fire/Ghost/Ground coverage that threatens mons like Skarmory, Mew and Toxapex. 32 HP EVs lets it keep up a sub vs Power Whip Ferrothorn. It's also a great check to non-Zen Headbutt Mega Medicham.

Next up is one of the best (if not the best) mega in OU: Mega Pinsir. This mon pairs up incredibly well with Kartana because it eats bulky grasses like Mega Venusaur and Tangrowth for breakfast. It also threatens the premier fighting types that scare out Kartana with STAB flying type Quick Attack. And finally that brings in Scarfed Jirachi. Jirachi is a great check to Tapu Lele, Latios and Magearna. Scarf + Iron Head + Serene Grace alone threatens every single Tapu out there. Heart Stamp is great versus Mega Lopunny and Toxapex while still having a high chance to flinch. U-Turn to quickly pivot and Healing Wish is incredibly useful to bring back to life whittled down mons like M-Pinsir and A-Marowak as needed.

Kartana wasn't easy to build around but this team ended up being a pretty fun squad. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I built this a while ago so fuck it why not

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 100 HP / 116 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Lovely Kiss
- Skill Swap

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Kartana @ Grassium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
Pretty mediocre webs team here; just wanted to mess around with a few concepts and chucked 'em together. TTar+webs allows it to outrun Scarf Gren etc. at +1, which is really disgusting in general given how fucking STRONG +1 Mega Tar is. Also liked the idea of both MegaTar+Bish Dark spam and MegaTar+Flyinium Gyara DD spam. Gyara fears no scarfers under Webs and is just a complete behemoth in general thanks to Moxie. Taunt is used to sometimes stop stall 6:0ing if it's played like utter shit. Kartana under webs is completely disgusting, and I ran Grassium Z on it 'cause dual Z moves is hipster and grassium is hipster and who needs Fightinium anyway when Skarm and Celest pose basically 0 threat to the team off of paper anyway. Lovely Kiss>Spore 'cause Kartana leads otherwise 6:0; listed EVs maximise overall bulk on Smear. This team has matchup issues but idrc i chucked it together in about 15 minutes like a month ago. Prolly auto-loses to Lop too.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 28 Def / 8 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kartana is a pokémon with an incredible base attack. Perhaps his weak points are that sad special defense and speed of 109, but that is not bad at all. It has a good defense. It has interesting sets and with the help of z move it becomes unpredictable. In this case it is the standard with Fightium z for the defensive steels of the tier among others, like Celesteela or Skarmory. Your ability is very important, since it can be dangerous if you manage to eliminate something. Zygarde cb for most threats of compulsory pokémon (Kartana) like for example Zard Y or Volcarona for example. My mega is Scizor, it helps me vs the fairies and above all an important thing, well it surpasses the Zone specs or the AV, but not if it takes Scarf. Uturn is for sure I'm going to enter something that has an advantage and thus turn the moment. Greninja is his set with Spikes since the team is offensive and you have to take advantage of that strategy. Heatran covers well of the fire and is my SR user to press the opponent more if they manage to stay. Finally another thing that has balance and is not so offensive and also has Defog, like Zapdos. Apart from that it is good to check things like Pinsir or TornadusT.

Last edited:

Kartana @ Steelium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid / Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celesteela @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

So for this team I figured I would try to use slightly more creative sets than normal, such as Steelium Z SD Kartana & Choice Scarf Koko. I started off with Steelium Z kartana because it enables it to OHKO a lot of its non-steel type checks, e.g Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Marowak-Alola at +2. Timid nature & 19 Atk IV's gives you speed boosts from Beast Boost, since SD already makes your attack stat skyrocket, meaning extra atk boosts aren't particularly necessary, and +1 speed will help outspeed everything up to Scarf base 110+s, e.g latios and greninja. Since Kartana struggles with taking special hits & needs something to help break down steel types, I decided to use Tyranitar since it has the bulk to be able to take a hit or 2 whilst being able to set up a DD and dent steel types that Kartana cannot beat w/o a fightinium Z, e.g skarmory and celesteela. Originally, I used CB Ttar to pursuit trap mons that could outspeed Kartana, e.g gengar, latias and latios, but decided to use a mega in the end since I noticed I hadn't added a mega on the team and mega ttar is bulkier than normal ttar so can take hits better. Next, I needed a fighting resistance, so I added Tapu Fini which helps remove hazards & stallbreak with taunt & NM. Misty terrain also helps prevent Kartana being statused by T-Wave or WoW or anything of the sort. I added Scarf Koko because its quite unexpected compared to the standard offensive pivot/all out attacking sets commonly run, and it also checks rain teams very nicely, outspeeding up to +spe Kingdra in rain. (although this is with a timid nature, but modest may be used instead if you want more power such as guaranteed OHKO on Mega Swampert w/GK & you don't feel the extra speed is necessary. I highlighted its nature in bold so you know that the nature you choose is down to preference). Since I was still lacking a SR user & was very ground weak, I added Lando-T which also gives the ability to gain momentum with u-turn. Finally, since I was still weak to special attackers & lacking another resistance to grass, ground & fairy, I added celesteela which nicely beats anything that outspeeds & kills kartana, e.g scarf tapu lele, latios, gengar, greninja. Shed shell prevents you from being trapped by magnezone, which could then allow anything its partnered with, e.g specs tapu lele, m-alakazam, to run through this team quite easily.

Last edited:

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Building over, time to vote!

Team 1

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace
- Smart Strike

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Spikes
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Psychic

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

While I originally wasn't a fan of Scarf Kartana, I feel like this team can pull it off well. Scarf Kartana is a great late-game cleaner thanks to Beast Boost, which can allow it to snowball out of control very quickly late game. I added Specs Ash-Gren because they can wear down each others checks (tang, av mag, etc), while Gren also provides Spikes support, which Kartana loves. I added Grassium Bulu to help vs. Stall, Zygarde, and Tapu Koko. It also provides Grassy Terrain, which can boost Kartana's Leaf Blade. Bulu in general is great at supporting the team since almost my entire team likes Grassy Terrain support, and the team also appreciates its wallbreaking power. Rocks Mew was added next to check Medicham, Mawile, and provide rocks. Psychic is my attack of choice so I can smack Toxapex pretty hard. AV Mage was added to be a blanket check to a lot of threatening Pokemon, like Lele, Greninja (both forms), Autotomize Celesteela, and Keldeo. Finally, Mega TTar was added because I wanted a solid check to offensive fire types like Tran, Volc, and Zard Y. It also functions as another late game cleaner along with Kartana because of DD. Mega TTar also really likes Bulu on the team, since Grassy Terrain removes its ground weakness, meaning it can potentially DD up vs. Lando or Chomp, then proceed to hit it hard with an Ice Punch. Mega TTars bulk allows it to potentially DD up twice to make up for its bad speed, and with grassy terrain that can be made easier potentially. Overall, I am pleased with how this team came out.

Team 2

Ktut Cut (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

Fruto seco (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Magellan (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch

Genjutsu (Gengar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

1K arrows (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

Miou (Mew) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 52 SpA / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

To me, there isn't many different ways to build around Kartana. I find the scarf set very funny, since it is an enhanced moxie krookodile. Since its stabs are easily walled (ferrothorn, charizard, celesteela...), hitting very hard early game and damaging steelmons/firemons is a priority: therefore setting up stealth rock quickly is nice, while using HO behemoths looks like a good idea. Besides, scarf kartana outspeeds swampert in rain, swampert being impossible to kill for HO teams due to its enormous bulk, making kartana a great pick.

So: here's some explanations of the members/sets which were quite hard to find (originally azelf HO which didn't win a single game).
Kartana is paired with Pinsir since the latter opens holes by just clicking Return. Magearna comes after because a scarf lele counter is mandatory when you use pinsir. Checking kingdra and ash-gren is necessary too. I experimented with AV magearna in HO: give it 252 speed and it outspeeds 40 speed defensive lando and hit with icebeam before it sets up rocks. Shift gear is pointless in this team. Voltswitch on tangrowth provides a free Pinsir Set up. Gengar is a great special attacker dealing with Mew, Landorus, Ferrothorn, and has no switchin in most teams ( no time to play mindgames and get walled by waters with a greninja, just click shadow ball ). Azelf->Mesprit->Mew since hitting landorus with icebeam turn1 is better than using taunt and get uturn-ed: rocks should never be allowed! It outspeed offensive lando and easily takes advantage of smeargle and azelf with voltswitch and scarf kartana 181 BS leafblade in the back. Lastly, zygarde was necessary to hold tapu koko in check and deal with firetypes while being awesome vs stall: gengar absorbs T-spikes so it can't be poisoned and recover stalled.

This team went undefeated and all the battles ended this way: scarf kartana cleans, which was the ultimate and original goal of the team!!

Mew's set: speed for banded zygarde, 104 def to avoid 2hko from banded zygarde and adamant medicham, 240 hp to hit a leftovers number (cf smogon) and avoid ohko from gren darkpulse: so you can always set up rocks and attack! 52 spa mew has 75% chance to kill landorus after stealth rock! Killing lando requires exactly 252 spa, but that is pointless since lando sets rocks up vs kartana and zygarde, moreover people usually lead with gren: you need 240 hp!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-600397899 : just to show Kartana vs swampert
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-600429462 : gengar's cursed body for the win vs marshadow
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-600423671 : hard to switch into kartana when gengar 2hkos the heatran and zygarde+pinsir weaken landorus

Team 3

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

untested, only made this because i felt bad at seeing only 2 teams. S rank x2, Kartana, A+ rank, scarf lati for speed control and volcarona check, and wak for last bc lose to steels otherwise, knock to weaken fini which is kind of annoying for the team even if its built around kart

Team 4

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

EVs: 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spe
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Substitute

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Kartana is an interesting mon. In all my experience it either would end up snowballing and sweeping whole teams or it functioned as a very useful sack. I opted for the standard SD set. Kartana has pretty low BP moves and coverage that's resisted by much of the meta so it really needs the SD for the immediate power. Fightium-Z lets it power through stuff like Celesteela and Skarmory and at +2 it can even muscle through Volcarona and Charizard Y with All Out Pummeling.

Next up is Tapu Fini. Fini has great defensive synergy with Kartana, provides Defog support and Taunt can shut down a lot of hazard setters and set-up mons. Not to mention Misty Terrain is great for Kartana to prevent burns. Every team can benefit from Lando-T and this team is no exception. Lando is my rocker and it's role is pretty well known by everyone who's played even a little bit of OU in any of the past few generations. HP Ice for opposing Lando-T and Zygarde and U-turn lets it pivot versus other switches. I added Alolan Marowak because it is great versus Tapu Koko and a lot of Volt-Turn combinations in the tier. Sub is there for better matchup versus stall and to give Wak more opportunity to start punching holes through teams with Thick Club boosted Fire/Ghost/Ground coverage that threatens mons like Skarmory, Mew and Toxapex. 32 HP EVs lets it keep up a sub vs Power Whip Ferrothorn. It's also a great check to non-Zen Headbutt Mega Medicham.

Next up is one of the best (if not the best) mega in OU: Mega Pinsir. This mon pairs up incredibly well with Kartana because it eats bulky grasses like Mega Venusaur and Tangrowth for breakfast. It also threatens the premier fighting types that scare out Kartana with STAB flying type Quick Attack. And finally that brings in Scarfed Jirachi. Jirachi is a great check to Tapu Lele, Latios and Magearna. Scarf + Iron Head + Serene Grace alone threatens every single Tapu out there. Heart Stamp is great versus Mega Lopunny and Toxapex while still having a high chance to flinch. U-Turn to quickly pivot and Healing Wish is incredibly useful to bring back to life whittled down mons like M-Pinsir and A-Marowak as needed.

Kartana wasn't easy to build around but this team ended up being a pretty fun squad. Enjoy. :)

Team 5

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 100 HP / 116 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Lovely Kiss
- Skill Swap

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Kartana @ Grassium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Pretty mediocre webs team here; just wanted to mess around with a few concepts and chucked 'em together. TTar+webs allows it to outrun Scarf Gren etc. at +1, which is really disgusting in general given how fucking STRONG +1 Mega Tar is. Also liked the idea of both MegaTar+Bish Dark spam and MegaTar+Flyinium Gyara DD spam. Gyara fears no scarfers under Webs and is just a complete behemoth in general thanks to Moxie. Taunt is used to sometimes stop stall 6:0ing if it's played like utter shit. Kartana under webs is completely disgusting, and I ran Grassium Z on it 'cause dual Z moves is hipster and grassium is hipster and who needs Fightinium anyway when Skarm and Celest pose basically 0 threat to the team off of paper anyway. Lovely Kiss>Spore 'cause Kartana leads otherwise 6:0; listed EVs maximise overall bulk on Smear. This team has matchup issues but idrc i chucked it together in about 15 minutes like a month ago. Prolly auto-loses to Lop too.

Team 6

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 28 Def / 8 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kartana is a pokémon with an incredible base attack. Perhaps his weak points are that sad special defense and speed of 109, but that is not bad at all. It has a good defense. It has interesting sets and with the help of z move it becomes unpredictable. In this case it is the standard with Fightium z for the defensive steels of the tier among others, like Celesteela or Skarmory. Your ability is very important, since it can be dangerous if you manage to eliminate something. Zygarde cb for most threats of compulsory pokémon (Kartana) like for example Zard Y or Volcarona for example. My mega is Scizor, it helps me vs the fairies and above all an important thing, well it surpasses the Zone specs or the AV, but not if it takes Scarf. Uturn is for sure I'm going to enter something that has an advantage and thus turn the moment. Greninja is his set with Spikes since the team is offensive and you have to take advantage of that strategy. Heatran covers well of the fire and is my SR user to press the opponent more if they manage to stay. Finally another thing that has balance and is not so offensive and also has Defog, like Zapdos. Apart from that it is good to check things like Pinsir or TornadusT.

Team 7

Kartana @ Steelium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
Timid / Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celesteela @ Shed Shell
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

So for this team I figured I would try to use slightly more creative sets than normal, such as Steelium Z SD Kartana & Choice Scarf Koko. I started off with Steelium Z kartana because it enables it to OHKO a lot of its non-steel type checks, e.g Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss and Marowak-Alola at +2. Timid nature & 19 Atk IV's gives you speed boosts from Beast Boost, since SD already makes your attack stat skyrocket, meaning extra atk boosts aren't particularly necessary, and +1 speed will help outspeed everything up to Scarf base 110+s, e.g latios and greninja. Since Kartana struggles with taking special hits & needs something to help break down steel types, I decided to use Tyranitar since it has the bulk to be able to take a hit or 2 whilst being able to set up a DD and dent steel types that Kartana cannot beat w/o a fightinium Z, e.g skarmory and celesteela. Originally, I used CB Ttar to pursuit trap mons that could outspeed Kartana, e.g gengar, latias and latios, but decided to use a mega in the end since I noticed I hadn't added a mega on the team and mega ttar is bulkier than normal ttar so can take hits better. Next, I needed a fighting resistance, so I added Tapu Fini which helps remove hazards & stallbreak with taunt & NM. Misty terrain also helps prevent Kartana being statused by T-Wave or WoW or anything of the sort. I added Scarf Koko because its quite unexpected compared to the standard offensive pivot/all out attacking sets commonly run, and it also checks rain teams very nicely, outspeeding up to +spe Kingdra in rain. (although this is with a timid nature, but modest may be used instead if you want more power such as guaranteed OHKO on Mega Swampert w/GK & you don't feel the extra speed is necessary. I highlighted its nature in bold so you know that the nature you choose is down to preference). Since I was still lacking a SR user & was very ground weak, I added Lando-T which also gives the ability to gain momentum with u-turn. Finally, since I was still weak to special attackers & lacking another resistance to grass, ground & fairy, I added celesteela which nicely beats anything that outspeeds & kills kartana, e.g scarf tapu lele, latios, gengar, greninja. Shed shell prevents you from being trapped by magnezone, which could then allow anything its partnered with, e.g specs tapu lele, m-alakazam, to run through this team quite easily.

Alright time to vote, voting will end on Monday, July 17th at 12:00 PM EST!

To be honest I don't like the teams here. In my opinion you can't build a Balanced team with Kartana, there are a lot more options for Balance.
Team 3

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Voting over! Congrats to yuruuu for winning with 4 votes!

Round 5:
Lopunny is back, and while not as strong as it was last gen, has a lot of untapped potential in this meta. Building round will last until Monday, July 24th at 10:00 AM EST/GMT-4! Best of luck!

Reactions: BM

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Pretty standard team here, I haven't tested it out too much yet but I've had decent success with it so far. I think Weavile forms a good offensive core with Lopunny-Mega due to Weavile destroying Mew and Cofagrigus while providing priority and Knock Off support. Tapu Koko gives me an offensive special attacker that deals with Toxapex and can provide offensive Volt-turn support. It also gives me an anti-lead, so I don't need hazard control. Landorus-Therian is simply glue, providing neccessery Stealth Rock support and defensive Volt-turn support. Lopunny and its teammates really appreciate Spikes, so I added Ferrothorn, another defensive backbone while also dealing with Clefable. Finally, for my last partner, I noticed I was weak to Fire types, so I added Choice Specs Keldeo as a Special breaker.

I doubt I'll win but I think it's worth a shot.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Fleur Cannon

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Offensive Core of Lopu + BB Ninja, S-S Volt-Turn, a pivot that removes Toxic Spikes and a Pokémon that is not weak against Charizard Y + Dugtrio. Charizard Y will use HP Electric anyway.
Small edit: Changing Landorus-T to offensive set because the team lacked offensive power.

Last edited:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Spikes
- Water Shuriken

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Smack Down
- Fly

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog / Recover

Pretty standard looking team; I started the team with Mega Lopunny (obviously) + Ash Greninja since Ash Greninja is a good offensive check to Mew, Lopunny's most common answer, and they form a good, fast offensive core. I then added Sub Toxic Heatran, because it did a lot of good for the core; it deals with Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth, two mons that can check Ash Gren pretty well and take a hit from Lopunny, it annoys Clefable, another good Lopunny check, and it is also very useful against bulkier teams which Lop and Gren can't do to much against. At this point, I didn't have any solid Ground, Electric or Water resist, so AV Tangrowth was a good fit since it is a solid blanket check that dealt with a lot of threats to my team. I needed rocks and a good way to pressure stall, so offensive Landorus-T was added since it can pressure stall very well with EQ/Smack Down and SSSS, while also getting Stealth Rock up versus stall. To round out the team, Scarf Latios was added since it provided a way to remove hazards and a way to deal with Volcarona, while also being able to take a hit from Charizard-Y which is a big threat.

You'll notice that I slashed Ice Beam and Spikes on Ash Gren and Defog and Recover on Latios; I prefer to run Ice Beam on Gren just to pressure Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth more, but Spike is also pretty solid. If using Spikes, you should run Recover over Defog since Defoging away your layers of Spikes is counter productive, and Recover allows you to pivot into Zard-Y and Recover while it switches out, giving you a more solid check to it. Thunder Wave could also work to slow down faster threats.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Taunt

EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 24 SpD / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Magearna @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Roost

This is a bulky offense team that utilises some pretty cool and underrated sets imo, which help pave the way for lopunny to sweep. I decided to use PUP instead of fake out so lop can actually become a real danger, whilst Icium Z Kyurem-black is able to break through many of lopunnys common switch ins, e.g clefable, mew, venusaur, skarmory and many other physical walls or bulky tanks, whilst also packing coverage moves to beat other switch ins such as landorus-t and tapu fini. Tapu Fini acts as a hazard remover & stallbreaker, which kyurem & volcarona really need so they can switch in repeatedly, whilst also acting as a fighting resist which lopunny & kyurem needed. Landorus acts as a stealth rock setter & pivot, pretty standard set really, although I added enough speed to outspeed SubCoil zygarde so it can break the sub with eq and toxic it, preventing it from setting up. Choice Scarf magearna looks really weird and sounds bad due to its slow speed, but its so unexpected that it actually functions as a surprisingly good cleaner if lopunny dies before it can sweep the opposing team. Shadow Ball is added in place of ice beam or hp fire so marowak takes a ton of damage, as they are immune to volt switch & resist mag's dual STAB. Magearna also switches in to psychic attacks which lopunny hates. Finally, bulky qd volcarona functions as a secondary steel + fairy resist, nicely setting up on most of lopunnys counters & beats sweepers such as shift gear magearna provided they don't have too many sp.atk boosts.

Other options to consider are Fake Out over IP or PUP on lopunny since you get to mega evolve safely & gain chip damage whilst also having a form of priority which the team lacks. Ice Beam or HP Fire can also be used on mag if you feel shadow ball hitting marowak isn't necessary, and volcarona can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers such as mawile, although I'm not certain which move you would replace with it. AV magearna could definitely be used, (even the shift gear or specs set might be better in the end tbh), but I would then advise using a scarfer such as Kartana or Jirachi in place of volcarona, since the team is quite slow paced, with Lopunny actually being the fastest mon on the team otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)