Resource SM OU Sets Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Alright, with the new VR update and ban there is a lot to change!
Zard X - Add 3 Atks + Roost above DD (which imo should be removed) - DD is still just really bad in this meta, easily revenged and honestly outclassed by most other set-up mons. 3 Attacks has been on the rise as a phenomenal breaker that can 2HKO a huge portion of the tier.
Move Scarfchomp to B+, B or even just UR - It's deadweight vs the most common balance teams and is honestly only good for Volcarona, which has dropped off recently.
UR CB Victini - The only good set in this meta is Z-Happy. CB suffers from not having a spammable move, having lacking speed and being poor defensively. It's super outclassed.
UR Specs & Scarf Nihilego - This is just bad. Volcarona and Zard Y have been falling off, Magearna is on the rise, it's been bad for a really long time now tbh.
IMO the only Lele set that should be A+ is Specs, but I can see a case for Scarf too. Specs has had the most notable impact and has benefitted the most from Duggy's ban, as it is now free to rip up any defensive core it wills - this includes the omnipresent Venu/Pex/Celes core - and has seen the most usage on many trending teams like Kanto HO and Gondra HO.
Also, perhaps Scarf Excadrill should join its other sets in B. It's seen a lot of usage on many HO teams for its utility and power.
GTG RN, I'm gonna finish this up when I get time.

King Sceptile

Banned deucer.
I agree with the above post aside from removing DD Zardx altogether, I believe that roost + 3 attacks should be above DD, but DD can still be a potent sweeper in its own right (obviously not the best but certainly usable. If zardx moves up to B+ like many people are nominating, then keeping DD in B- or maybe even moving it up to B (as dugtrio leaving made the set more effective if anything with no scarftrio to trap and kill it) would be perfectly fine.

Felixx

I'm back.
I'm seeing two SubDance Zygarde sets being listed like this:

SubDance: A
Dragon Dance: A+
Choice Band: A
SubDance: A
Double Dance: A-

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Alright, I have time now, here are some more noms:
Waterium-Z Ash-Gren to A or A- - this has seen some success in tournament play and while it's nowhere nearly as good as Specs it's still pretty decent at ensuring that Ash-Gren transforms, or to give it an extremely powerful nuke if it transforms without using it.
As for Latios, I'm not certain if Offensive should just be it. Some are CM sets that I've seen work well, others are just defog and roost. I'm not so sure about this one, perhaps a CM set could be added (just above or below specs)?
Most Thundurus-Therians I've seen, from the few that are ever used, are Double Dance variants. Change Agility to Double Dance.
That's really it tbh. The rankings look good!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I can probably agree Waterium-Z Ash-Gren should be looked into. Some like Latios and Thundy-T will also need a second look, though the latter is so rare I just kept it as Agility.

Also please welcome sedertz as an addition to the Sets VR Team. p2 appears to have been rather busy, so sedertz is filling in his place.

I feel like a lot of the terminology used here is really vague and often misleading, and lesser sets are often placed way too high just because the Pokémon itself is ranked highly. For example, autotomize steela is a-currently, which would suggest it is more viable than stuff like z bounce gyara, DD mega tar, and vincune, which it definitely isnt. Similar stuff pops up w/ stuff like subslammer kyuB being a (not a bad set but kyuB moved up bc of LOKB, not z move), scarf tran being a-, and scarf/taunt lele being a+ (again, not bad sets, but lele was moved up bc of specs, not the other 2 sets). Regarding the terminology thing, stuff like 4 attacks mawile, taunt lele, LO latios (also please add cm to this, probably a below scarf), and lopunny are all called offensive, which is really vague and offers no useful information. Stuff like 4 attacks or all out attacker, life orb, cleaner, taunt + 3 attacks all actually tell you something about the set instead of just saying it's an offensive set, which is obvious by taking a look at these mons' stats. Zap plate koko is also called utility which makes 0 sense, since it is definitely not used for stuff like sr etc which is the general definition of a utility mon. So yeah, those are my thoughts, hope they're taken into account because some of the information is really misleading and vague rn.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like a lot of the terminology used here is really vague and often misleading, and lesser sets are often placed way too high just because the Pokémon itself is ranked highly. For example, autotomize steela is a-currently, which would suggest it is more viable than stuff like z bounce gyara, DD mega tar, and vincune, which it definitely isnt. Similar stuff pops up w/ stuff like subslammer kyuB being a (not a bad set but kyuB moved up bc of LOKB, not z move), scarf tran being a-, and scarf/taunt lele being a+ (again, not bad sets, but lele was moved up bc of specs, not the other 2 sets). Regarding the terminology thing, stuff like 4 attacks mawile, taunt lele, LO latios (also please add cm to this, probably a below scarf), and lopunny are all called offensive, which is really vague and offers no useful information. Stuff like 4 attacks or all out attacker, life orb, cleaner, taunt + 3 attacks all actually tell you something about the set instead of just saying it's an offensive set, which is obvious by taking a look at these mons' stats. Zap plate koko is also called utility which makes 0 sense, since it is definitely not used for stuff like sr etc which is the general definition of a utility mon. So yeah, those are my thoughts, hope they're taken into account because some of the information is really misleading and vague rn.
I agree a lot with most of this tbh. I'll get with big nigga and see what he thinks otherwise I can try to just fix things myself if need be.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I can agree with a lot of this myself. This will probably take some time to overhaul a bit, since I have to really sit down and rank each individual set.

As for being more descriptive on sets - I can try to do so with it, but I find one of the issues is some of them like Diancie run Stealth Rock as an option and not as a mandatory slash, and this creates the problem of do I make two different inquiries or keep it as one. Either way, I'll talk with the crew on this a bit more (we've been discussing things I promise) and we'll update accordingly.

B R A I N L I C K E R

Banned deucer.
Yeah I can agree with a lot of this myself. This will probably take some time to overhaul a bit, since I have to really sit down and rank each individual set.

As for being more descriptive on sets - I can try to do so with it, but I find one of the issues is some of them like Diancie run Stealth Rock as an option and not as a mandatory slash, and this creates the problem of do I make two different inquiries or keep it as one. Either way, I'll talk with the crew on this a bit more (we've been discussing things I promise) and we'll update accordingly.
Just wanted to say you are doing a dynamite job with this thread :) really appreciate it!!!!

Minor nitpicks
Quagsires set is listed as c+, it should be b rank.
Marowaks set should be b when it's b+
Victini s set is c+ when it should be b-.
That's all.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet or if I just missed something, but I think Heatran with his magma storm+z move trapping set should be consider, since I didn't see it anywhere. It has an amazing potential to handle many top threats with a good prediction, such as OHKOing toxapex with tectonic rage earth power, flash cannoning most fairy types, or earth power on koko after a magma storm. It definitely belongs in at least a- tier, but again tell me if I'm just an idiot and missed something somewhere.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this has been brought up yet or if I just missed something, but I think Heatran with his magma storm+z move trapping set should be consider, since I didn't see it anywhere. It has an amazing potential to handle many top threats with a good prediction, such as OHKOing toxapex with tectonic rage earth power, flash cannoning most fairy types, or earth power on koko after a magma storm. It definitely belongs in at least a- tier, but again tell me if I'm just an idiot and missed something somewhere.
That set falls under "offensive" but I think the name should just be changed to Z Move Trapper or something.

That set falls under "offensive" but I think the name should just be changed to Z Move Trapper or something.
Ok thanks, I can see why it would be called offensive but I definitely think its role is unique enough from standard offensive Heatran to warrant its own ranking.

You guys should add SubSwarm Volc somewhere since it's seeing decent usage and getting its own analyses set.
I support this, and I'd say it should be A rank as well, it allows Volcarona to set up Chansey and deal with most 100+ Scarfers by just Subbing up as they switch in and getting to weaken them for Volcarona itself to sweep later. It does miss out on hitting Heatran and Haze Toxapex but I think its equally as viable as Quiver Dance.

Can we move Shift Gear + CM Magearna down to A-, it's honestly this a good bit worse than SG + 3 atks but still better than trick room. Scarf Gren should probably get moved up above offensive spikes, maybe even suicide lead just because Ash Gren is a better Spiker overall. Also rename Life Orb Gengar to All-Out-Attacker to account for other techs like Spooky Plate, Ghostium Z, Metronome, etc. There's some other stuff I noticed but this is the main shit I saw off the bat.
Who uses metronome on gengar? Who uses metronome on anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)