Resource USM OU Role Compendium

1. Dugtrio usually runs Pursuit on SPL Stall afaik
2. Being nommed in the VR and getting good feedback=/=metagame trend, check usage stats and/or play on the mid-high ladder and you'll see how low Hoopa-C's usage is
1) I didn't see Pursuit on the sample teams SPL Stall so assumed it was kind of situational. But you're right Pursuit is actually a huge deal for Hoopa-C
2) My bad, I thought it was getting more usage cuz' a bunch of people started talking about it and I saw one or two on the ladder recently, but I guess you're right it isn't quite a metagame trend, sorry for my bad wording on it.

I mean, you're 100% right in all your points but I still think Hoopa-C should still be listed though, it's quite niche and rare but it is still a viable (ish) Nasty Plot user.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
1) I didn't see Pursuit on the sample teams SPL Stall so assumed it was kind of situational. But you're right Pursuit is actually a huge deal for Hoopa-C
2) My bad, I thought it was getting more usage cuz' a bunch of people started talking about it and I saw one or two on the ladder recently, but I guess you're right it isn't quite a metagame trend, sorry for my bad wording on it.

I mean, you're 100% right in all your points but I still think Hoopa-C should still be listed though, it's quite niche and rare but it is still a viable (ish) Nasty Plot user.
Yeah I get the idea behind Hoopa-C's niche and while it's by no means bad, it's hard to justify adding a mon that is neither ranked nor has seen any use in tournament play/ladder

Here are some mons that I found lacking being list in one of their respective role, hope I help.
Wallbreakers: Physical: Araquanid Mixed:Camerupt-Mega (Cause of Rock Slide?)
Walls:Specially Defensive: Gastrodon
Choice Item Users: Choice Band:
Weavile
Trappers:Other:
Toxapex
Set-up Sweepers: Swords Dance: Kabutops, Gallade-Mega, Beedrill-Mega

Also these mons are the opposite in which they need to be unranked because of not being in the VR or a petition of mine.
Entry Hazards:Spikes: Klefki
Priority:Quick attack: Diggersby Vacuum Wave: Kartana
Set-up Sweepers: Swords Dance: Mew
Weather: Rain: Ludicolo Sun: Torkoal

Edit:Priority, Prankster:Klefki

Last edited:
Why is mew in the swords dance section?
Has anyone used that set ever since like gen 2?
SD mew is worse than CM tapu bulu or z gravity lando-t or CB tapu koko or whatever ass set that you can think about
Plz remove it

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Why is mew in the swords dance section?
Has anyone used that set ever since like gen 2?
SD mew is worse than CM tapu bulu or z gravity lando-t or CB tapu koko or whatever ass set that you can think about
Plz remove it
It's pre BP Ban meta

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here are some mons that I found lacking being list in one of their respective role, hope I help.
Wallbreakers: Physical: Araquanid Mixed:Camerupt-Mega (Cause of Rock Slide?)
Walls:Specially Defensive: Gastrodon
Choice Item Users: Choice Band:
Weavile
Trappers:Other:
Toxapex
Set-up Sweepers: Swords Dance: Kabutops, Gallade-Mega, Beedrill-Mega

Also these mons are the opposite in which they need to be unranked because of not being in the VR or a petition of mine.
Entry Hazards:Spikes: Klefki
Priority:Quick attack: Diggersby Vacuum Wave: Kartana
Set-up Sweepers: Swords Dance: Mew
Weather: Rain: Ludicolo Sun: Torkoal

Edit:Priority, Prankster:Klefki

Implemented most of these, minus like two or three of them. Also removed Mew from the SD section.

And in the topic of Mega Camerupt, I really think it should be moved from "Niche" to "Viable". Its ability to break very common defensive cores, setting up rocks against stall, and overall being a really powerful threat makes me think of Mega Camerupt as a better Mega Evolution than the likes of Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedril, and being at the level of Mega Zard X, Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Sharpedo

Shouldn't Mega Camerupt be on the "Special wallbreaker" category and Mega Venusaur on "Specially Defensive"?
Mega Camerupt cannot be considered as a wallbreaker because he's slow as f**k. Wallbreakers of course need power, but they also need the speed to outspeed a good number of the defensive Pokémon in the tier. Because of it's lack in speed, Mega Camerupt cannot be considered as a wallbreaker.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Camerupt cannot be considered as a wallbreaker because he's slow as f**k. Wallbreakers of course need power, but they also need the speed to outspeed a good number of the defensive Pokémon in the tier. Because of it's lack in speed, Mega Camerupt cannot be considered as a wallbreaker.
That is an entirely incorrect statement. A wallbreaker isn't defined by its Speed, it's defined by its ability to break walls. Its lower Speed doesn't really ever come into play vs the walls it tries to break. Mega Camel can break through defensive cores, aka walls, therefore it is a wallbreaker. Whoa!

Last edited:
I noted some more mons to be ranked/unranked from the last time I checked. And I see why I didn’t noted them in the first place as like tentacruel (Spin) is still there but you don’t remember it being unranked cause you never see it anyway when it had a little niche. Also not sure if P2(TR, another of those mons you completely forget it exists when you play OU) was ever ranked at all but as all the other mons that were not ever in the VR and were exceptions like mega houndoom got out it shouldn’t be there then.

Also some scarfers like heatran an kyurem aren’t rank cause as they are meh you also forget about them and don’t forget about the recent bronzong unrank (wall phy def, stealth rock and TR)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Roles Compendium doesn't really follow the rules of the VR as to be listed in it or not. It's more or less a list of various Pokemon you may see on the ladder and what they potentially bring to a team as an example or fulfilling a specific niche for a team.

Quite a few suggestions for what to add, some obviously more viable than others. Keep up the good work tho:)

Stall breakers: Landorus-T (its Earth Plate smack down set when adamant 2hkoes unaware clef, also gets up rocks vs stall and generally pressures stall)
Walls: Phys Def: Celesteela (to check Pinsir, FlyniumZ LandoT)
Defog: M.Latias (phenomenal bulk, paired with nice speed, and utility and ability to escape pursuit with reflect type)
Leads: Aerodactyl (faster than current leads, can set up tailwind too, has fire coverage)
Zmoves: GrassiumZ Kartana (stall breaker set), DragoniumZ Latios (now offensive cm sets are becoming popular), GroundiumZ Weavile (innovated by Hayburner to lure Magearna), SteeliumZ Zygarde (lure clefable), BugiumZ Volcarona (allows it to beat Ttar, has become popular recently ?)
Rain: Tornadus-T (hurricane), Tapu Koko Zapdos (thunder)

Something to add in the future perhaps, a terrain setter and terrain abuser (through the use of the terrains effects or moves), though this could cover a lot of pokemons, but I was thinking pokemon that specific calcs are affected (M.Medicham being able to beat M.Sableye) or common abusers or the terrains effects such as Heatran.

Electric: Tapu Koko, M.Diancie Heatran M.Camerupt (nature power), M.Medicham M.Mawile (thunder punch), Hawlucha (seed)
Grassey: Tapu Bulu, Suicune Zygarde (recovery (for vincune)), Heatran Magearna (ground weakening), M.Camerupt (nature power)
Misty: Tapu Fini, Zygarde (both no toxic and dragon weakening), M.Camerupt Heatran (nature power)
Psychic: Tapu Lele, M.Alakazam (priority and damage boost)

Last edited:

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I know the role compendium doesn't necessarily follow OU's viability rank, but is it even worthy in any ocassion to use Xatu instead Mega Diancie or Mega Sableye has a Magic Bouncer user? I can only guess the fact it's inmune to 3 of 4 hazards and it doesn't use the mega slot, but I'd like to be sure about this

Gary

Quite a few suggestions for what to add, some obviously more viable than others. Keep up the good work tho:)

Stall breakers: Landorus-T (its Earth Plate smack down set when adamant 2hkoes unaware clef, also gets up rocks vs stall and generally pressures stall)
Walls: Phys Def: Celesteela (to check Pinsir, FlyniumZ LandoT)
Defog: M.Latias (phenomenal bulk, paired with nice speed, and utility and ability to escape pursuit with reflect type)
Leads: Aerodactyl (faster than current leads, can set up tailwind too, has fire coverage)
Zmoves: GrassiumZ Kartana (stall breaker set), DragoniumZ Latios (now offensive cm sets are becoming popular), GroundiumZ Weavile (seen imsosorrylol use it to lure Magearna), SteeliumZ Zygarde (lure clefable), BugiumZ Volcarona (allows it to beat Ttar, has become popular recently ?)
Rain: Tornadus-T (hurricane), Tapu Koko Zapdos (thunder)

Something to add in the future perhaps, a terrain setter and terrain abuser (through the use of the terrains effects or moves), though this could cover a lot of pokemons, but I was thinking pokemon that specific calcs are affected (M.Medicham being able to beat M.Sableye) or common abusers or the terrains effects such as Heatran.

Electric: Tapu Koko, M.Diancie Heatran M.Camerupt (nature power), M.Medicham M.Mawile (thunder punch), Hawlucha (seed)
Grassey: Tapu Bulu, Suicune Zygarde (recovery (for vincune)), Heatran Magearna (ground weakening), M.Camerupt (nature power)
Misty: Tapu Fini, Zygarde (both no toxic and dragon weakening), M.Camerupt Heatran (nature power)
Psychic: Tapu Lele, M.Alakazam (priority and damage boost)
I implemented a lot of your recommendations.

Chandelure: Special Wallbreaker and Choice Specs
Magearna: Calm Mind
Tapu Koko: Choice Specs
Kyurem-Black: Choice Scarf
Empoleon: Special Defensive Wall
Cresselia: Lunar Dance (Slash with Healing Wish users in Clerics section)

Reactions: zbr
Maybe adding Mega Latios to the niche section for megas. Also putting him in the set-up sweeper section for Dragon Dance. And maybe have regular Latios under the Darkinium Z for Memento.

I think Keldeo should be added to the stallbreakers section. Its taunt CM set with Z-hydro is really picking up steam, and can tear apart even the most well played stall.

IMO, Mega Houndoom should be added to at least a couple of categories. They are Niche Megas (because it IS a Mega), Stallbreakers (+2 Dark Pulse 2HKOes Toxapex, Taunt uses Chansey as set up fodder, Fire Blast roasts Tang, etc.), Set-Up Sweepers under Nasty plot because it gets Nasty Plot (if Togekiss and Cofag are there I don't see why M-Hound isn't), and Special Wallbreakers (Solar Power + Nasty Plot is a nightmare under the sun).

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Mega Medicham should be added as a partner for Psychic and Electric terrain - it abuses both very well.
Weavile will never run anything sans a Choice Band in this meta, imo it shouldn't be in the Z-Ground section. Greninja occasionally runs it with Dig to beat Magearna though, so maybe it could be added?
Also, Koko for sure should go into the Physical Wallbreaker section as Z Wild ruins the majority of walls nowadays.
Finally, imo Mega Bro is niche. Bro is falling off rather badly as it pretty much auto-loses to Pex/Celes/Venu while also losing badly to Zard Y teams, which weaken its Scald and beats it with both Zard Y's Solar Beam and Tyranitar. It fares poorly vs Aurora Veil as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)