Resource USM OU Role Compendium

3approved by celtic and ofc credit to ctc for coming up with this back in xy. Taken over from p2 and GMars, significant sections of their original writing and subsequent editing were left in place.

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the USM OU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role. Each Pokemon that are on here are on here based on their viability in the OU metagame and their performance of generic or specific (niche, if you will) roles that benefit your team. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn't been added to the group, recommend it in your post.

Pokemon are listed in alphabetical order. More niche Pokemon (<= C+ in the VR) are separated by a vertical bar.

For those who do not understand what the terminology such as Wallbreaker and Pivot mean: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary

Thread Rules:
  • One liners are fine here, avoid double posting as per usual
  • Don't shitpost, don't flame, don't be rude, and especially don't be an idiot.
  • When suggesting things to be added / removed, provide decent reasoning as to why something should be added or removed.
  • This resource doesn't strictly follow VR rules, there may be some Pokemon that are unranked there, this resource allows beginner and experienced players to see what this Pokemon can bring to a team, regardless of its viability, if you are concerned with the viability of the Pokemon mentioned here, check the VR to see what is viable or a more niche option in the metagame.
Mega Pokemon:
(♀)
(♂)
|

Wallbreakers:
Physical:
|

Special:
(
♀)
|

Mixed:
(♂)
|

Stallbreakers:

Taunt-Based:
|

Setup-Based
(♀)
|

note: just because pokemon are listed as stallbreakers does not mean your team will be able to break stall 100%. these pokemon have the ability to really carve into stall but still require support to do so, you cannot just slap them on and call it a day vs stall.

Walls:
Physically Defensive:
|

Specially Defensive:
|

Mixed:
(♀)
|

Pivots:
Offensive:
|

Defensive:
(♀)
|
:shedinja:

Clerics:
Wish:
|
(♀)

Heal Bell / Aromatherapy:
|

Healing Wish / Lunar Dance:
(♀)
|

Entry Hazards:
Stealth Rock:
|

Spikes:

Toxic Spikes:
|

Sticky Web:

note:
All sticky web setters are considered niche options.

Suicide Leads:
|

Hazard Removal/Prevention:
Rapid Spin:
|

Defog:
(♀)
(♂)
|

Magic Bounce:

Choice Item Users:
Choice Band:
|

Choice Specs:
|

Choice Scarf:
< 100 speed:
|

>100 speed:
|

Trappers:
Pursuit:
|

Magnet Pull:
|

Other (Magma Storm / Whirlpool etc):
|

Priority:
(Water Shuriken)
(Sucker Punch)
(Ice Shard)
(Quick Attack)
(Bullet Punch)
(Fake Out)
|
(Aqua Jet)
(Extreme Speed)
(Prankster)
(Quick Attack)
(Shadow Sneak)
(Sucker Punch)

Last edited:
Set-up Sweepers:
Swords Dance:
|

Dragon Dance:
|

Calm Mind:
(♀)
|

Nasty Plot:
|

Agility / Rock Polish etc:
|

Other:
(Beast Boost)
(Contrary)
(Curse)
(Moxie)
(Power-Up Punch)
(Quiver Dance)
(Soul-Heart)
(Tail Glow)
(Z-Moves)
|
(
Acid Armour)
(Beast Boost)
(Belly Drum)
(Bulk Up)
(Curse)
(Moxie)
(Quiver Dance)
(Power-Up Punch)
(Speed Boost)
(Z-Moves)

Trick Room:
Setters:
(OTR)
(Defensive)

Abusers:

note:
trick room is considered a niche playstyle, hence all setters and most abusers are considered niche options.

Weather:
Rain:
:
|

Sand:
:

Sun:

Hail:

note: hail is considered a niche playstyle, hence all setters and most abusers are considered niche options.

Last edited:
Legit can't read the z-moves section because mild colour blindness, perhaps just having words instead of having the same image would make it clearer.

Weather is very lacking - Torkoal, Venusaur, Sandslash-Alola.

Stealth Rock - Gliscor, Mamoswine, Necrozma, Tyranitar
Rapid Spin - Pheromosa
Defog - Mega Scizor, Kartana, Mantine, Pelipper
Choice Band - Araquanid, Azumarill, Weavile
Choice Scarf - Dugtrio, Jirachi, Kartana, Kyurem-B, Magnezone, Nihilego, Xurkitree
Pursuit - Bisharp, Dugtrio
SD users: Marowak-Alola
NP users: Ninetales-Alola

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Great job overall, just a few things to add:

• Adding Scarf Nihilego, as it is a great scarfer due to its Speed tier allowing it to outspeed the likes of Scarf Lele/Lando/Chomp as well as revenge +1 Zard-X/Volcarona
  • Groundium-Z Dugtrio could be added if you consider it relevant enough as a one time nuke to stuff such as Toxapex, non-Scarf Lele, as well as requiring less damage to eliminate threats like Garchomp and Manaphy which are taken out if they're at about 71% at minimum while not locking you into moves like Band would do
  • Kabutops under Rain section as it is one of the better rain abusers along with Kingdra/Omastar.
  • Scarf Jirachi added in Scarf users, does the same thing its always done last gen and provides great utility being able to outspeed Scarf Lele.
  • I don't think Band Jirachi is a thing or not, at least I've never seen it haha.
  • Z-Happy Hour Jirachi in Normalium-Z section and Other Set-up Sweepers section as a pretty decent wincon overall.

Reactions: vso
I'm kind of confused by wallbreakers, you seem to just have any sort of attacker in there. Like, wallbreaker is one of the last things I would use to describe pory-z.

You forgot Bisharp in pursuit.

I would separate Z-status moves from the Z-moves section and put them in set-up sweeping, or just in a different section (for stuff like Z-haze which is viable on a couple things.)

Kabutops and Ludicolo are both viable on rain. You can also expend the weather sections a bit beyond [weather setter] and [weather +2 speed mon,] at least for rain which benefits electrics and Torn-T. Also if you're gonna include Curse Quagsire in Set-up sweepers, include Torkoal and Venusaur under sun :<

I would put in Kartana under Choice Scarf as it can outspeed most other scarfers and Primarina under Specs because it hits really hard and has solid bulk and typing.

p2

Banned deucer.
this thread is now colour blind friendly™

Legit can't read the z-moves section because mild colour blindness, perhaps just having words instead of having the same image would make it clearer.

Weather is very lacking - Torkoal, Venusaur, Sandslash-Alola.

Stealth Rock - Gliscor, Mamoswine, Necrozma, Tyranitar added none of these bar mamo, they're not worth using for setting rocks in this meta
Rapid Spin - Pheromosa cant afford to run it
Defog - Mega Scizor, Kartana, Mantine, Pelipper msciz and kartana and defoggers are the absolute worst
Choice Band - Araquanid, Azumarill, Weavile a r a q u a n i d, ill add azu but cb weav is shitty and really needs to die off
Choice Scarf - Dugtrio, Jirachi, Kartana, Kyurem-B, Magnezone, Nihilego, Xurkitree only adding rachi and kart
Pursuit - Bisharp, Dugtrio pursuit bish is horrible
SD users: Marowak-Alola no
NP users: Ninetales-Alola no
Great job overall, just a few things to add:

• Adding Scarf Nihilego, as it is a great scarfer due to its Speed tier allowing it to outspeed the likes of Scarf Lele/Lando/Chomp as well as revenge +1 Zard-X/Volcarona ok
  • Groundium-Z Dugtrio could be added if you consider it relevant enough as a one time nuke to stuff such as Toxapex, non-Scarf Lele, as well as requiring less damage to eliminate threats like Garchomp and Manaphy which are taken out if they're at about 71% at minimum while not locking you into moves like Band would do
  • Kabutops under Rain section as it is one of the better rain abusers along with Kingdra/Omastar. ok
  • Scarf Jirachi added in Scarf users, does the same thing its always done last gen and provides great utility being able to outspeed Scarf Lele. ok
  • I don't think Band Jirachi is a thing or not, at least I've never seen it haha. it was a mistake i meant to drop it scarf users
  • Z-Happy Hour Jirachi in Normalium-Z section and Other Set-up Sweepers section as a pretty decent wincon overall. ok
I'm kind of confused by wallbreakers, you seem to just have any sort of attacker in there. Like, wallbreaker is one of the last things I would use to describe pory-z. i mean its still a wallbreaker because tbf it hits stupidly hard compared to other stuff but ill remove it since that isn't its main role

You forgot Bisharp in pursuit. i left it out for a reason

I would separate Z-status moves from the Z-moves section and put them in set-up sweeping, or just in a different section (for stuff like Z-haze which is viable on a couple things.)idt this is necessary yet, im gonna hold off on this one

Kabutops and Ludicolo are both viable on rain. You can also expend the weather sections a bit beyond [weather setter] and [weather +2 speed mon,] at least for rain which benefits electrics and Torn-T. Also if you're gonna include Curse Quagsire in Set-up sweepers, include Torkoal and Venusaur under sun :< curse quag is actually good though

I think Xurkitree definitely needs listing as a special wallbreaker and quite possibly a stallbreaker (the latter on basis of power similar to Manaphy, not through having Taunt), on the basis of:

+3 252+ SpA Zap Plate Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 306-361 (47.6 - 56.2%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO

or

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

Given that it gets Energy Ball/Grass Knot and Dazzling Gleam, stall teams of Mega Sableye, Chansey, Skarmory, Quagsire, etc., are all easily handled - though you would have to manage trappers like Dugtrio. I know it'll probably be my go to stallbreaker if Lele is banned.

Add Bulk Up Tapu Bulu, its p good on Leech Seed sets
I've used Rockium Z Nihilego, beats Slowbro and M-Sableye, so it could be added too

E: Also Rapid Spin Pheromosa, not the best but I've seen it used

Thoughts on adding tapu fini to the icium z users section? Icium z makes haze restore all of fini's HP, which is great since her typing checks so much shit but she has no recovery outside of lefties. Haze isn't a wasted moveslot (unlike conversion, celebrate, or most of the other status z moves) when it's not being used as a z move, either, since it lets fini stop setup more reliably than taunt, though you obviously miss out on taunt's stallbreaking utility. Also makes her an even better switch into knock off, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
I think a section for phazing moves like roar, whirlwind and dragon tail should be added. Helpful for teams worried about setup sweepers.

Last edited:
Mandibuzz should be under all the walls.

Yea, it kinda needs SR gone, but it's able to wall the crap out of a lot of huge threats on both sides (just with the mixed bulk utility set): Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, non-Dazzling Gleam Mega Alakazam, non-Flynium/Rockium Landorus-T, Sand Rush Drill, DD Mega Charizard X, Banded Hoopa-U, non-Stone Edge Banded Tapu Bulu, Jolly Mega Pinsir, etc.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What's the criteria for what can be considered a weather abuser? Like is it just abilities (e.g. Swift Swim) or can we go with moves like Hurricane on Torn-T? Or maybe stuff like Ferro/Mega Scizor appreciating how Rain reduces Fire damage?

Also it feels weird to me to include a Hail section when the weather itself is only used for Aurora Veil. imo just dump it and place Ninetales into a Screens section (or something).

A very good list, but I think the organization can be simplified.

Since "Nasty Plot" and "Tail Glow" are so similar... and since there's only like 2 viable users each. Why not combine the lines together?

Nasty Plot / Tail Glow:
I think the "Z-Setup" sweepers (Z-Conversion Porygon, and Z-Happy Hour Jirachi) also should be in the "Set-up" section. I understand the reasoning for putting them in the "Z-attack" category... but really those Z-attack setups should be listed twice IMO.

Once under "setup", and once under "Z-move".

Hmm, I've come to this list looking for good "Revenge Killer / Cleaners", that is... good Pokemon to use once the opponent's walls are damaged and threaten a sweep. They don't seem to be listed however.

Definition of cleaner his here: http://www.smogon.com/articles/hyper-offense-in-ou

The difference from Cleaners and Sweepers is that Sweepers are generally the win-condition. But often... its useful to send out the Sweeper / Win Condition in the midgame or even early game. The Sweeper will be stopped but will devastate the opponent's wall. That's where the Cleaner comes in. Cleaners don't need to 2HKO common walls, they just need to be faster than them and have enough damage to finish the job from 30% or so.

Defensively, you use a Cleaner as a Revenge-killer, to stop the opponent's attempts to sweep. Scarf'd Weavile Icicle Crash solidly outspeeds and OHKO's a Zygarde even after the Dragon-Dance, while the Scarf'd Weavile Ice Shard is a winner in priority wars.

EDIT: Not that you should be scarfing all your Weaviles or anything. Cleaners also rely on coverage moves. LO Weavile threatens Poison Jab and Brick Break for example, finishing off Tyranitar and Tapus. A cleaner needs to be scarfed if its below ~110ish speed (subject to debate), above that... there's enough natural speed there to clean.

----------

Scarf Lele, Scarfed Tornadus, Scarfed Garchomp, Pheremosa, Weavile, (Mega) Alakazam are some examples that I've come across. I personally have very little experience running Hyper-Offensive teams though, so someone else probably should make the list.

Anybody know what the good cleaners are this generation? I guess I've seen (Mega) Sharpedo as well, and there was some discussion elsewhere about Scoliopede.

Last edited:
I've never seen Scarfed Tornadus, but Scarf Jirachi and Nihilego are also nice options. The latter can snowball really quickly w/Beast Boost :) Also Tapu Koko, thanks to its high speed

I've never seen Scarfed Tornadus, but Scarf Jirachi and Nihilego are also nice options. The latter can snowball really quickly w/Beast Boost :) Also Tapu Koko, thanks to its high speed
Right. I forgot about Greninja as well. There's a lot of Greninja out there... and its a great cleaner.

I feel sorting hazard removers into offensive and defensive would be more useful than rapid spin and defog. Unless you're using spikes/t-spikes you probably don't care which hazard removal you have and it helps a lot more to be able to look at the mons that have a chance of being useful to your team one one line rather than having to look though all the fat stuff/frail stuff if you're using offense/stall respectively. Not to mention the general rule of 'things in the air defog, the others spin' works for all the list bar Tapu Fini.

Also, I feel Minior should be added to suicide leads, as it's very effective at getting up SR and then has Explosion at it's disposal. It can also use U-Turn, which is pretty nice, and Acrobatics works well with the sash.

Rapid spin: phero ( it sure can afford it and it really is helpful in some teams: example axel10's spl game aka cbb's team and tentacruel is a solid mon overall too which spins reliably. does a good job stopping volc, tspikes are also good. not a toptier threat but it is definitly worthy of being mentioned
also sandslash is the spinner on hail teams which arent very common but i ran one myself and saw others use it so you could technically add that as well. only fits on hail tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)