Metagame SM NU Alpha Discussion (read post #153)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Ok, approx 60% sure noone's posted about this set yet, but figured it needed more publicity (cause I sorta want the mon gone).

Kingdra @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

This is honestly Kingdra's best set by far outside of rain. It is a hideously reliable win condition against so many teams, and its natural bulk, typing, and honestly sheer power give it the ability to break like half the meta. Thanks to its disgustingly useful typing, and amazing matchup against rain, you can shove it on pretty much anything but hard stall as an additional layer of insurance against the style, and just laugh, as well as its ability to soft check most of the tier's fire types fairly well. The set is rather simple to play, basically get into a position where you can DD for low risk, ex. vs a steelix that's afraid of a potential hydro pump, or against a Seismitoad that just toxiced your sub, and dance up until you can OHKO the mon in front of you with Z-outrage or waterfall. The set's stupidly good, and really deserves more recognition than its getting now (which is a fair bit).

+1 252 Atk Kingdra Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 324-382 (78.2 - 92.2%)
+1 252 Atk Kingdra Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Slowking: 403-475 (102.5 - 120.8%)
+1 252 Atk Kingdra Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Virizion: 487-574 (150.7 - 177.7%)
+1 252 Atk Kingdra Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 256-303 (64.9 - 76.9%)
+1 252 Atk Kingdra Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 240-283 (64.1 - 75.6%)

Another set of note is Offensive Trick room Aromatisse, which is a godsend to TR, with its ability to ignore taunt, and actually resist dark, which is something that TR really struggles against.

Aromatisse @ Life Orb
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room

Pretty self explanatory, main point I'd make about it is that you can 2hko Lix with HP fire easily, and to abuse that point, and how well you lure the mon in with the rest of your abusers. Tbolt is sorta there cause I had the free space, feel free to go like double dance with calm mind if you feel like it, but it ain't necessary.

Finally, Choice Band Machamp is a fun set that basically turns scald and porygon-2 into liabilities, making Twave basically a death sentence. It can do truly dumb stuff like OHKO offensive whimsicott with CC or Defensive Seismitoad from full given a guts boost.

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Heavy Slam

The set above is Ev'd to outrun Porygon-2, but if you have any specific targets, feel free to adjust it. It really struggles in some matchups against stuff like Granbull, but luckily that thing ain't too common. Not a particularly complex set, basically pivot it in on expected scalds or twaves, and then just click buttons, and watch your opponents die. Only real issue is that it gets worn down fairly fast, but hey, it does the same to your opponent's team. The sets literally just an updated version of CB yama from last gen, but hey, its nice.

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Aromatisse @ Life Orb
Ability: Aroma Veil
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room

Slowking @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Thunder Punch
- Knock Off

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor

Kingdra @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Here's a team I made with the above sets in it. Its fairly effective, but can struggle vs bulky fairies, as they sorta screw over the main core a bit.

Last edited:
I know we have Tyrantrum, Dragalge, Kingdra and Noivern but don't sleep on Guzzlooooooooooord.
So get updated on the lord of dragons, Guzzlord.

Attacklord
Guzzlord @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 64 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD / 124 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam
This set functions as an all-out-attacker. Dark STAB is very nice with Necrozma running around and Draco Meteor is just very strong. Fire Blast nails steel types like Steelix and is just good coverage. Heavy Slam devours Fairy types on the switch.

Tanklord
Guzzlord @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
This set can be used as pivot. Toxic is nice to chip away, Substitute avoids status and works well with its good HP and being so tanky. Dragon Tail is good too phase set-up sweepers out and Earthquake is good coverage on this set. EV spread is to max out the defenses because the HP is sky-high.

Breaklord
Guzzlord @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 Def / 100 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
Choice Band! Does this need explanation? You just hit as hard as possible hit through walls with your stabs and predict on Fairy's and everything else what gets hit by Earthquake if they resist your stabs. You can try Hammer Arm for Porygon2 but Earthquake is normally better coverage.

Vestlord
Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
EVs: 220 Atk / 48 SpA / 240 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Payback
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam
So Assault Vest is very nice on Guzzlord allowing to sponge hits. I have found Payback to be useful with Guzzlord since it is very slow. Crunch could be also optional if you want beat Necrozma 1v1 with defense drops The other moves were explained earlier.

That's it for Guzzlooooooooooord. I hope to see more Guzzlord usage because it has potential.
See y'all laterz!

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know we have Tyrantrum, Dragalge, Kingdra and Noivern but don't sleep on Guzzlooooooooooord.
So get updated on the lord of dragons, Guzzlord.

Attacklord
Guzzlord @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam
This set functions as an all-out-attacker. Dark STAB is very nice with Necrozma running around and Draco Meteor is just very strong. Fire Blast nails steel types like Steelix and is just good coverage. Heavy Slam devours Fairy types on the switch.

Tanklord
Guzzlord @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
This set can be used as pivot. Toxic is nice to chip away, Substitute avoids status and works well with its good HP and being so tanky. Dragon Tail is good too phase set-up sweepers out and Earthquake is good coverage on this set. EV spread is to max out the defenses because the HP is sky-high.

Breaklord
Guzzlord @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
And the last one isssssssssss: Choice Band! Does this need explanation? You just hit as hard as possible hit through walls with your stabs and predict on Fairy's and everything else what gets hit by Earthquake if they resist your stabs. You can try Hammer Arm for Porygon2 but Earthquake is normally better coverage.

An Assault Vest set could be used on the Expert Belt set with some more defensive EV's on there.

That's it for Guzzlooooooooooord. I hope to see more Guzzlord usage because it has potential.
See y'all laterz!
Don't use 252 HP EVs on Guzzlord ever. 128 Def / 128 SpD is straight-up better because the overall bulk is dependent on the product of HP*Def or HP*SpD. If your defensive stats are less than half of your HP it is thus always more efficient to invest in them separately.

Guzzlord's typing offers more special resistances so I'd personally maximize whatever attack stat you want to hit hardest off, put enough speed to outrun what you want (20 Evs outrun 0 speed granbull, 60 outruns uninvested base 50s) then put the rest in Special Defence.

Don't use 252 HP EVs on Guzzlord ever. 128 Def / 128 SpD is straight-up better because the overall bulk is dependent on the product of HP*Def or HP*SpD. If your defensive stats are less than half of your HP it is thus always more efficient to invest in them separately.
Guzzlord's typing offers more special resistances so I'd personally maximize whatever attack stat you want to hit hardest off, put enough speed to outrun what you want (20 Evs outrun 0 speed granbull, 60 outruns uninvested base 50s) then put the rest in Special Defence.
Thanks guys! As you can see I didn't go into more detailed EV's, I just wanted to give Guzzlord a place to shine and show what it does. The changes are made and the Assault Vest set is added.

tbh this is close to a guzzlord analysis

Last edited:
Something I've had HUGE success with..

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Facade
- Shadow Claw

When people don't have a strong fighting stab left their only option to get rid of this thing is to status it. That's when you show them you in fact have Facade. At the very worst it's an extremely tanky and decent pivot and at the best it can surprise people and take a lot of things down with it. Shadow Claw hits Ghost switch ins decently as well.

Uxie @ Normalium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Bell
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

An interesting set I experimented with. By using Z-Heal Bell, it allows you restore your HP completely alongside Heal Bell's regular effect of clearing status for the user and team. Set up some calm minds like a regular psychic type, use Heal Bell and then break their team down. You could use a different coverage option over Dazzling Gleam but, I find being able to hit dark types was more useful. Not taking full damage from knock off is neat too. You should probably pair with a strong ground or fighting type which can eliminate steel types.

Managed to win a few games with this. Here's the replay showing it off with my amazing team. Switched in on Necrozma, healed off the damage, set up Calm Minds and sweep the rest. >:3c
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nualpha-583246740

Persian-Alola (M) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Taunt

I'm not sure if anyone posted this particular set but Alolan Persian can be really disruptive to a lot of teams. It's only outspeed by a small handful of Pokemon and this thing is a really good blanket check to a lot of thing and then being able to pivot out with Parting Shot. Foul play does decent damage to most targets while taunt and toxic worst nice together. Z move Parting Shot is the icing on the cake healing your teammate. If you really need to kill something off where foul play won't, you can use Z foul play but only use it for an emergency. (remember this thing has 60 attack)

no u (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Transform

Ditto's surprisingly decent with all these obnoxious weather teams, wallbreakers and sweepers rampaging around. Be sure to change IV's for Hidden Powers?

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- HP Ground / Aromatherapy / Whatever you want lol

Handles most fighting types bar Gallade/Medicham/Emboar, checks a bunch of attackers thanks to it's typing and good all round bulk, has instant recovery and pressure switch ins with 110 special attack and Sludge Bomb poisons. Effect spore can be pain for your opponent. Vileplume was one of my favourte mons in ORAS and it's still just as good now. Also to note while I couldn't call this a reliable check to Slurpuff, It tanks a +6 Return and KO's back with Sludge Bomb. Of course, hazards need to be cleared if you want this to happen.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 281-331 (79.3 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

edit: i like shiny pokemon

Last edited:
Something I've had HUGE success with..

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Facade
- Shadow Claw

When people don't have a strong fighting stab left their only option to get rid of this thing is to status it. That's when you show them you in fact have Facade. At the very worst it's an extremely tanky and decent pivot and at the best it can surprise people and take a lot of things down with it. Shadow Claw hits Ghost switch ins decently as well.
You can replace U-turn with Parting Shot, which is a much better move in my opinion. You can also run a Brave nature with 0 IVs in speed to ensure that you Parting Shot after the opponent goes for a move more frecuently, giving frailer Pokémon free switch ins. This becomes an even more powerful weapon if you have a few wallbreakers and set up sweepers in your team.

Last edited:
some more stuff ive been messing with

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch / Heavy Slam / Ice Punch
- Earthquake

does the same thing it did in uu last gen, basically tanks the shit out of every special attack imaginable, which is really neat given the amount of special nukes running rampant in this meta rn. dpunch is dpunch and makes switching into it a pain unless u have things like slowbro or golbat. coverage is rly up to you, the only one i find necessary is eq cus with a tiny bit of chip dragalge gets fucked by it, and hitting garbodor is nice too since rocky helmet really cuts into champs bulk. bullet punch is for rking stuff efore it dies rly, and is nice if ur team is weak to reversal lee or things of tht nature, while heavy slam is for aromatisse and ice punch is for noivern p much. using guts instead of av is good as well if you feel like ur team needs a status absorber, but i just like the cheese factor.

Raichu-Alola @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

a lot of teams rely on piloswine or p2 for their answer to electric types, so i thought z-focus blast raichu would be a cool lure. it has a pretty nice stab combo in conjunction with that and its not super fast but i think its good enough for it to clean late game. you can probably run regular raichu with the same set too tbh, lightningrod is useful and the 5 spa difference isnt too major, but i mean alolachu hits dragalge and plume and has a better design so why not :d

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off / Rock Slide
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

av eel kinda functions the same way as it did in early oras ru, mainly as a special tank against offensive flyings that can pivot without being passive aF. i like that it can dick some rock users like rhydon, steelix, and seismitoad. the coverage is pretty standard aside from rock slide which i use solely for moltres lol, but knock is better in most cases for stuff like p2. it also fucks up minior so i guess theres that...all in all a pretty cool mon

Bibarel @ Normalium Z
Ability: Simple
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

i promise you this thing is almost good. +4 breakneck blitz ohkos slowbro and p2, has decent coverage, and priority. you could probably pair this thing up with something like memento uxie or persian-a or whatever, its a meme mon kind of but its also not bad

Last edited:
You can replace U-turn with Parting Shot, which is a much better move in my opinion. You can also run a Brave nature with 0 IVs in speed to ensure that you Parting Shot after the opponent goes for a move more frecuently, giving frailer Pokémon free switch ins. This becomes an even more powerful weapon if you have a few wallbreakers and set up sweepers in your team.
Type:null doesn't learn parting shot. Only Silvally

Yo Abomasnow is actually pretty decent at the moment. I think people are forgetting about this mon with all the new mons available, but honestly ice shard has some incredible utility especially with stuff like Yanmega, minior and Tyrantrum running around with the ability to boost their speed or mons like Virizion and Noivern who are just fast overall. Not to mention it's one of the few ice types that don't care about water types. Like I get stuff like Aurorus gets freeze dry but it's not like thats breaking something like Vaporeon or Slowking and Aurorus certainly can't switch into any of them. And even ignoring it's coverage, you can wear down the majority of your counters with just your STABs and hail. Like, the only steel types that exist defensively are Steelix and Mawile, and both of them can get 2hkod by blizzard. Not to mention every fire type gets 2hkod by EQ. I got a few replays that I think highlights its abilities for anybody who's interested.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nualpha-583354100
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nualpha-582876582

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wanted to talk about two cool sets I've been having a lot of success with recently o.o

Rotom @ Spell Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Throwback to a set that really started picking up popularity towards the end of SPL during ORAS. Great for teams that want to break Steelix down early because you can pretty easily trade burning it for rocks, and most teams dont have another Volt Switch immunity so you can effectively chip their team throughout the game with Hex / Shadow Ball or gain momentum with Volt switch. I suppose you could run Colbur Berry with this set if you're really weak to fighting types, but I've found it to really nice to have the extra boost in power thanks to Spell Tag.

Lycanroc @ Choice Band
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Brick Break
- Stone Edge
- Toxic / Fire Fang / Sucker Punch

Rozes passed me a team with SD Lycanroc and I really really liked it; however, I found it didn't get quite as many set up opportunities as I was hoping for. I'm a big fan of fast things with immediate power so slapping Choice Band and Choice Specs on random Pokemon is something I do often, and simply made sense to do in this case. Accelerock is absolutely insane at checking so many fast powerful Pokemon right now including Moltres, Ribombee, Dodrio, Noivern, and Yanmega. Stone Edge packs a whallop all on its own when you can hit... and Brick break is good neutral coverage and gives you a way to hit Steel- and Normal-types super effectively. Last slot is kind of a toss up and there's definitely more options than what I've listed here. To be honest I've never once clicked Toxic, but it's the option I'm currently running. Fire Fang has merit if you're worried about Ferroseed, and Sucker Punch is genrally good priority with a little more power than Accelerock.

Glad to see everyone's enjoying the new NU and I hope every single one of you sticks around for beta and beyond!

behold nu's new god

Bibarel @ Salac Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Waterfall
- Substitute / Endure
- Swords Dance

Turns out Simple works with berries too! If you can get a sub up or activate your berry via Endure, there's not much that stands in the way of a Bibarel sweep (aside from the obvious Ferroseed I suppose). I haven't given NU that much time or effort since it currently has a bunch of complete nonsense that makes building a nightmare, so I have no idea how practical this set is (I used it in one friendly and it did something)---hopefully it's somewhat usable outside of memery.

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey look more sets:

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Endeavor

This mon is still really good despite everyone hyping up the other Bug-types that actually use Bug-type moves. Now that nobody's running Magmortar and Grass-types aren't quite as common as they used to be, Vivillon gets lots of opportunities to set Sleep Powder and go from there. Works well as a hyper-offense lead as it forces the opponent to make certain plays to block it that you can then exploit, and if you succeed with getting a boost then you usually have a shot at taking two Pokemon down between Hurricane and Endeavor. Has to watch out for Hail from Aurorus, Vanilluxe, and Abomasnow however, especially as the last two run Hail. Sub is also probably still good, but relies a lot on hitting your counter with Sleep Powder before setting up on them. Being able to scare Whimsicott from switching in with STAB Hurricane is also very nice.

Silvally-Poison @ Poison Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Multi Attack
- Parting Shot
- Thunder Wave / Rest
- Roar / Sleep Talk

Silvally-Poison was good in Pre-Alpha and it's still good now, checking top threats such as Pangoro, Slurpuff, and physical Virizion very well. You can run 72 Speed EVs with Thunder Wave to outrun Adamant Slurpuff before a boost (or after it's boosted but hit with T-Wave) but this cuts into Silvally's bulk a little bit. A key advantage of using this over Weezing is the ability to absorb T-spikes; Silvally-Poison has the most raw physical bulk of any grounded available Poison-type aside from Drapion, which lacks a crucial Fighting-type resistance. Rest Talk is a good standalone set but T-Wave + Roar provides more general utility and goes extremely well with Wish + Heal Bell Vaporeon.

HIDDEN BONUS SET FOR PROS ONLY:

Silvally @ Normalium-Z
Ability: RKS System
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Crunch
- Parting Shot / Facade / Double Edge

This is probably the best offensive Silvally set out there. Swords Dance + Explosion is a really deadly combination, and Normalium-Z lets Silvally apply 450 BP of damage over two turns, which is also ridiculous. A Jolly nature helps you outspeed more threats and speed-tie with the likes of Yanmega, but an Adamant nature gives you even more stupid levels of power, being able to OHKO Tyrantrum from full with +2 Explosion 100% of the time, and being able to reliably 2HKO Steelix from full with +2 Breakneck Blitz + Explosion. Crunch hits Ghost-types and it can occasionally be handy for fishing for Defense drops on certain annoying mons. Parting Shot gives Silvally better early-game utility; although you can lead with this set to chip teams right off the bat, it can also be worthwhile to hit something with Breakneck Blitz and then using Parting Shot to get out of there, coming back to Explode later. Facade lets you punish status users such as Porygon2 while Double Edge is a reliable fallback STAB in case you need more than two hits. Silvally doesn't have any coverage to hit Rock-types with outside of uninvested special attacks, but you can run Surf to chip Steelix without using your Z-item and to do more damage to Rhydon.

Darkinium-Z might also be a good option for a similar set since Z-Parting Shot is very good and Silvally is a pretty good check to Ghost-types with a +2 Black Hole Eclipse and a Ghost immunity.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Some random Pokes I tried so far~

Delphox @ Firium-Z / Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam

So Delphox is pretty underrated right now imo due to the lack of Water-types (the only ones I have seen so far are Kingdra, Vaporeon, Slowbro, Slowking, and Lanturn) makes Fire STAB pretty strong, coupled with Psychic STAB makes it pretty difficult for a lot of the popular mons (besides bulkier ones like Porygon2 and such) to switch in. So Firium-Z lets Delphox hit hard on bulkier Pokemon like Porygon2 hard at +1 (it needs +1 or else it can't 2HKO) but, it can still nuke squishier Pokemon obviously. Life Orb is an alternative for more consistent damage. Grass Knot hits basically any Water-type (specifically Slowbro and Slowking, FYI Shadow Ball and Grass Knot do the exact same amount of damage to them) and potentially heavier Rock-types (which I haven't seen at all). Basically Delphox has a pretty decent amount of setup opportunities due to the popularity of Fighting-types and special attackers from what I'm seeing.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Really solid Pokemon right now imo mainly due to how fast it is with a Scarf (being able to revenge kill potent threats like Tinted Lens Yanmega, Moltres, and Medicham) and also access to Trick helps cripple the popular Psychic-type trio (Slowbro/king and Necrozma) as well as Porygon2. Electric / Grass STAB is also pretty hard to switch into unless you are incredibly specially bulky but, incredibly specially bulky Pokemon tend to not appreciate getting a Choice Scarf. Not much to say other than it's pretty good in the current crazy af meta.

Oricorio @ Salac Berry
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Not the best Pokemon by all means, probably not even the best Oricorio form at least but, I think it is pretty decent right now in this meta. While Moltres does kinda outclass it every manner, Oricorio does have access to Calm Mind which can make it pretty scary if it manages to set up and activate its Salac Berry (similar to offensive Calm Mind Delphox in ORAS RU). A lot of support was required like Parting Shot and hazard removal so this is more like a Pokemon you would use if you want to have fun with the game so yeah, I'd recommend this.

Last edited:

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch / w.e tf u want l0l

Criminally underused pokemon imo. This mon hits harder than any other scarf fighting type in the tier while only really losing out on the 10% accuracy gap of cc and hjk and the broken move knock off. However, not getting knock off isn't even that big of an issue because this pokemon is so easy to pair with Sneasel lol. Not really much else to say about this mon/set, scarf is a good cleaner outspeeding all of the unboosted metagame and all other scarfers up to its own speed tier whilst still having 428 attack; band is just insanely powerful hitting what i think would be like 700 atk if i can do basic math right, and i guess Z HJK is useable but probably just stick to scarf. This mon even fits on most archetypes bar like hard stall or some shit idk, just use this mon, click hjk, use a pursuit trapper, ???, profit. :)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Kingdra @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 192 HP / 188 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Rest

I've been using this over the past two days and I'm liking it a lot. This relic from DP does a good job of taking advantage of bulkier Pokemon, esp. bulky waters, as well as random stuff like Scarf Rotom-C and other stuff that can't 2HKO it to reasonably reliably boost to +2 or +3, set up in the face of status spreaders, and other nice stuff before Resting up to heal status, jump out of what would be range of priority from an opposing teammate, maybe net an extra boost or stall out that last turn of Trick Room, and then proceed to sweep. The set is surprisingly consistent and a lot of people don't expect it due to most people running bog standard stuff like Dragonium and other shit, so being able to shrug off people who try to take it on like they would more standard sets with moves like TWave or Toxic or scarfers or other shit I've forgotten on the spot is kinda satisfying. The listed EVs allow Kingdra to take 2 LO Giga Drains from Ludicolo, outrun Ribombee at +1, outrun Scarf Delphox at +2, and then maximises attack (there is prolly a way to net an extra point or two in Attack whilst hitting the defensive benchmark, but fuck that I'm way too lazy). Try to eliminate stuff like fairies/steels and other stuff that could be detrimental to Outrage spam if there are still Waters/Grasses alive, and don't make the same mistake I made by trying to set up on Slowking.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
got some new sets i wanted to share with u pals...

Charizard (M) @ Firium Z
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast

look no further than BLUNDERZARD... this set is amazing and in the sun alongside +1 speed it can easily sweep most teams, it's also nice since its one of the few special attackers that dgaf about slowking and just gets through basically any of these balance teams that rely on shit like uxie + water + steel type cores. basically this mon cannot be countered and zard sits at a great speed stat which is only helped by the +1 it gets when it throws up that sun. another nice thing is that your able to basically choose between going for a sweep by going for z sunny day and getting the +1 speed, or going for the nuke z fire blast vs something troubling like necrozma for example
try this out bros

Raichu-Alola (M) @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Surf

second up we hav the almighty TDKCHU

tdk made this set and its pretty good as raichu sits at a great speed tier for this meta and tbolt / psychic dual stab has excellent coverage for this meta. surf is a great last move to take on steelix who is v common and the set only really misses out on coverage vs ferroseed / cacturne and guzzlord. aloraichium z turns tbolt into a 175 bp move that always paralyzes which is a great nuke as always and coming off raichus speed it can get neutralize a lot of stuff when shit hits the fan. you can probably try psyshock over psychic to have a chance at ohkoing virizion but honestly it aint worth it since raichu is already weak as hell and the base power difference is very noticable when raichu is at +2 since it requires +2 to ko most shit like max hp rotom and stuff like that.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Necrozma @ Grassium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Stored Power
- Solar Beam
- Autotomize

This is arguably the most potent offensive Necrozma variant atm, likely more so than Z-Dark Pulse variants. Grassium Z SolarBeam provides the best neutral coverage for "DualDance" Necrozma, able to blast through a large majority of its defensive & offensive checks while still being able to cover Unaware mons without the aid of Stored Power and deal at least ~75% to offensive Meloettas and max HP Uxie. What's more, the only tell they have is a Calm Mind on the switch-in, which could mean anything coming from Necrozma.

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 412-486 (104.8 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Spiritomb: 314-370 (106.8 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 316-372 (103.9 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 244 HP / 128 SpD Steelix: 400-471 (113.6 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO [assuming Sturdy is not active, of course]
252+ SpA Necrozma Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pangoro: 296-349 (89.4 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Necrozma Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Unaware Pyukumuku: 350-412 (111.4 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Are there any relevant Taunters in the tier? Trying to decide if Mental Herb is worth using on Uxie over something like Normalium-Z. It's come in handy once against an encoring Accelgor but that's been it so far...

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Are there any relevant Taunters in the tier? Trying to decide if Mental Herb is worth using on Uxie over something like Normalium-Z. It's come in handy once against an encoring Accelgor but that's been it so far...
There are a couple of good taunters in this tier like lead archeops and stall breaker mismagius but I still wouldn´t use mental herb on uxie, leftovers or colbur berry are better options in this meta since it lets you have passive recovery or counter every fighting type.

Did anyone try out Z-Celebrate Charizard or Z-Splash Kingdra yet?

The problem I am seeing on Charizard is, if there is no Roost, you have to make sure your opponent can't get rocks up and clear the field or else you rely on a single coverage move. Though I don't know what you would run in addition to Fire STAB. Maybe EQ?

Did anyone try out Z-Celebrate Charizard or Z-Splash Kingdra yet?

The problem I am seeing on Charizard is, if there is no Roost, you have to make sure your opponent can't get rocks up and clear the field or else you rely on a single coverage move. Though I don't know what you would run in addition to Fire STAB. Maybe EQ?
Generally it does have roost, but if it doesnt it would prbably be paired with reliable hazard control plus something to break bulky waters and rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)