Resource SM Creative + Underrated Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my friends.

After getting reqs I wanna share with you one set on a mon I consider to be an incredible supporter for offensive teams to check Rain, Trick Room, lure fat grasses reliably and sweep games with 1-2 some predictions. It is amazing against fat cores, forces switches and also works well against Stall matchups if you do some prework. Who is that mon?

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]

If you have troubles getting past AV Tang, Ferrothorn and especially Mega Venusaur, this Set will be your best friend.

First of all the EVs:
Nothing really to explain. Speedtier is amazing and special attack investment is important to break all the fat stuff that plagues our metagame.

Leftovers are for longevity and to make your opponent believe "this Thundurus is weak and cannot kill my fat Grassmon".
The idea behind the Set is pretty simple. Substitute is a great move especially if you predict your opponent to double/U-turn. It dodges nasty moves from Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Mega Sableye etc. You can even attempt to Subspam against Scarf Landots or Dugtrios Edge if you have to. It also allows you to stall out Trick Room and Rain Teams, an offensive teams nightmare. I cannot even count how many games I have lost to fucking Trick Room Magearna.
You can try to outpredict Mega Mawiles Sucker Punch as well who is always a problem.

Nasty Plot boosts your special attack but if you reveal Leftovers, fat grasses like AV Tang and Mega Venusaur stay in even at +2 thinking they can eat HP Ice easily. You can see in the replays below how well you can lure them for your teammates to sweep.

When using this Set make sure your partners enjoy fat grasses gone. Good partners are:
CM Tapu Fini (Thundurus kills Mvenu for you or even AV Tang)
Z Belly Drum Azu (Mvenu byebye)
Offensive Zygarde (AV Tang gone? Zygarde sweeps)
Manaphy

Offensive Calcs:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 276-326 (68.3 - 80.6%) Tbolt on the AV Tang switch after Rocks, NP then kill it with HP Flying
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Flying vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur: 354-416 (98.6 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 145-172 (41.1 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (After subbing on the Leech, they never Leech anyway)

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-555155852 Weakened MVenu to the point where Z Bellydrum Azu swept lategame
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-554381216 Subbed on the Msab Toxic. Fat Kyurem cannot avoid the 2hko from +4 HP Flying
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-555153877 I basicly win after getting up Rocks. After killing AV Tang, my opponent tries to Uturn on my Fini. I sub on that and get more kills lol

New Defensive Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

You might be like "what so special about this set? It seems pretty normal" However you don't realize how much power this set have! In one set you can check 75% of times all big physical threats: Metagross, Zygarde, Landorus and even Gyarados (LOL). Moreover you still have HP fire to beat up Scizors and Ferrothorns!

Deal is simple: Grass knot always break Zygarde's Sub, deal massive damage do Gyarados and still does quite nice damage to other things like lando, chomp

0 SpA Tangrowth Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 109-129 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- 64% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tangrowth Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 141-166 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Drawback is you deal much less damage to Tapu Fini, manaphy, rotom. However, you are physical defensive tangrowth, you should not stay in against them.

I just cannot stress enough how big it is to have anserw to all this mons in just one slot!

tl;dr: grass knot hits everything that hp ice does and you still have hp fire as coverage

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Black Hole Eclipse Bisharp

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

If you speak to me outside of the forums there is a decent chance you've heard me talk about this set. I'll just add a disclaimer that I don't think this is a better set than Life Orb or Dread Plate, and has situational use over these two. That situational use is busting through fat mons which you could not otherwise without the Z move - against offensive teams it won't always find a time to be used, but it's amazing for smacking Mega Scizor, Toxapex, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and others at +2. The main draw is probably Mega Scizor, just because Knock Off is weak as hell against Megas so you get a much more powerful attack than they would normally expect.

First off you should know to always use the Z move with Sucker Punch, because it has a higher base power than Knock Off.

Here are some calcs to show you the powa:

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 277-327 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Scizor-Mega: 304-358 (88.6 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 264-312 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 310-366 (76.9 - 90.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 327-385 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Black Hole Eclipse (140 BP) vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 321-378 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (I don't think this is the right Venu spread but I think you get the point)

So I tried to rustle up some replays and wasn't having a lot of success (mostly because I had shitty teams and was lazy). I ended up swapping the sets on njnp's webs HO and made Celesteela Life Orb so I could give Bisharp the Z crystal. I still don't have the best replay of all time but keep in mind that if my Bisharp got the roll on Skarmory (better than 2/3 in my favor), it would have probably swept this guy's team. I did end up losing so not much to see after Bisharp goes down.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-556801743

Choice Specs Tapu Fini

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam/Defog

Why would you ever want a Choice Specs Fini when you can use other breakers like Specs Primarina?
Primarina is slow as fuck and definitely needs Timid to outspeed common defensive mons like Defog Fini or Rocky Helmet Landot. A Timid Primarina is barely 11% stronger than Modest Fini (527 Spa vs. 478 Spa). Finis physical bulk [HP x Defense] is 50% higher (85386 vs. 55685), specially it is around 18% (95016 vs. 80668) better.

The reason Primarina is still solid imo is Psychic and its ability to 2HKO AV Tang with Moonblast. Fini needs Ice Beam for that. If you prefer a fat breaker that provides support so that your setup sweepers cannot be statused at the cost of a slightly lower damage output, Fini is the way to go.

Fini is fat, offers Misty Terrain, gets unexpected kills and can OHKO MSabs trying to Knock Off turn 1.
The most reliable switch ins to this Fini are Chansey, Toxapex and an already evolved Mega Venusaur. Against such a matchup, at least your grounded mates are immune to Sleep Powder and Toxic.

The EVs maximize Finis damage while outspeeding most Defog Finis, defensive Lando-Ts, most Rotom-Ws and if that ever becomes a thing, Jolly Crawdaunt.

A good teammate is Spdef Uturn Jirachi. Jirachi brings in Landot, Alola Marowak and Heatrans for Fini to feast on. Jirachi also takes on minimal damage from Lele and is a solid pivot in general, especially with Metagross dropping Earthquakes for Hammer arm. I like Healing Wish more for offensive teams but Wish/Protect is cool as well if your defensive backbone is worth passing wishes to.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538768523 After HP Firing Ferro once, the game was a snack

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538775249 Being bulky really helps. A Primrina wouldve been dead already

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538769945 Fini just clicking its Stabs

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538763073 weakened Mvenu thought it can eat, but it couldnt

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538760592 just click Moonblast. Predicted him trying to catch my TTar on his Zardy

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
OK, I'm going to make this one relatively quick.

With Pheromosa being currently suspect tested, I noticed how one of it's sets was based around Normalium Z (Z-Hyper Beam AKA: Breakneck Blitz). On what I posted on the suspect, I said that I thought that Z-recharge came off as a bit of a gimmick... however, I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious about it (and what else could optimize it). We already have Mosa (currently on trial) and CM Keldeo to speak for it... but what about physical alternatives?

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you...
Z-Giga Kartana:

shinytarna.gif

Kartana @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash
- Giga Impact

As we know, Z-Recharge is at its best as a lure, able to break walls that those with limited coverage cannot normally. Pheromosa has been able to best abuse this as a lure to Toxapex (it's #1 'counter'), as well as the likes of Tapu Fini and others, as a means to farm Beast Boosts off of it. Z-Giga Kartana is able to lure just as much, if not more, using this set - with would-be counters such as Zapdos; Lando-T; Pelliper; Mega Venusaur and others falling to it's 200BP Breakneck Blitz. There are others that Kartana would appreciate a bit of chip for (DD abusers and Mega Pinsir being two examples), and it's nice natural 131 base Defense alongside Grass/Steel typing gives it some good leeway to do so.

Replays:

• 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 226-266 (59 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 229-270 (63.7 - 75.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 234-276 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 304-358 (95.2 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Note how a lot of these are allergic to chip, which is easy to find through the coverage I have supplied on the set.

Anyway, I've got to go. Later lads!

OK, I'm going to make this one relatively quick.

With Pheromosa being currently suspect tested, I noticed how one of it's sets was based around Normalium Z (Z-Hyper Beam AKA: Breakneck Blitz). On what I posted on the suspect, I said that I thought that Z-recharge came off as a bit of a gimmick... however, I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious about it (and what else could optimize it). We already have Mosa (currently on trial) and CM Keldeo to speak for it... but what about physical alternatives?

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you...
Z-Giga Kartana:

View attachment 80284
Kartana @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash
- Giga Impact

As we know, Z-Recharge is at its best as a lure, able to break walls that those with limited coverage cannot normally. Pheromosa has been able to best abuse this as a lure to Toxapex (it's #1 'counter'), as well as the likes of Tapu Fini and others, as a means to farm Beast Boosts off of it. Z-Giga Kartana is able to lure just as much, if not more, using this set - with would-be counters such as Zapdos; Lando-T; Pelliper; Mega Venusaur and others falling to it's 200BP Breakneck Blitz. There are others that Kartana would appreciate a bit of chip for (DD abusers and Mega Pinsir being two examples), and it's nice natural 131 base Defense alongside Grass/Steel typing gives it some good leeway to do so.

Replays:

• 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 226-266 (59 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 229-270 (63.7 - 75.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 234-276 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 304-358 (95.2 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Kartana Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Note how a lot of these are allergic to chip, which is easy to find through the coverage I have supplied on the set.

Anyway, I've got to go. Later lads!

Interesting set but i'd only use this with SD there so you can boost on the switch and then z move, why not use it over Night Slash as it has pretty bad coverage?

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
I have Night Slash there to snipe things like Marowak-A and Shedninja if need be. Thus my mythology has always been focused around neutral coverage if possible.

Oh and I don't want to get BB mixed up with Z-SD and end up misclicking (just OCD, sorry). Feel free to change the set for that if you want tho.

I have Night Slash there to snipe things like Marowak-A and Shedninja if need be. Thus my mythology has always been focused around neutral coverage if possible.

Oh and I don't want to get BB mixed up with Z-SD and end up misclicking (just OCD, sorry). Feel free to change the set for that if you want tho.
The thing is that an unboosted Z-Move is too weak to be worth using the Z-Crystal slot.

A regular Swords Dance Kartana hits everything but Zapdos harder with the adequate move than with an unboosted Breakneck Blitz.

(And besides, a wish to avoid misclicking is not exactly worth dropping SD. And what would stop you from clicking Giga Impact without turning it into Breakneck Blitz? It can happen. And it's happened to me on cartridge with Conversion. Misclicks can happen to anyone)

Last edited:
Double Kick Terrakion

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Kick
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

So webs offense is really, really good right now, and I wanted a mon that could stop Smeargle from getting webs up. Taunt users like koko and fini just get magic coated on and need to win a 50/50 to beat Smeargle. Fake out was also an option, but the only viable user atm is Mega Medicham, and they can just go Mimikyu and block it. Double Kick terrakion doesn't need to play 50/50s as it just kills Smeargle without playing around with taunt. you could also run it on scarf as a fourth move or alongside continental crush. This set is pretty situational and only works against webs but literally 1/3 games i played on the ladder was against webs so yeah.

you could also run the same set with infernape with fire move> edge

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-559118096 garbage game but the only turn that really matters is the first one.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 32 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

going to go out on a limb and say that this is probably the best heatran set atm, or at least most effective. heatran in oras was mostly used as a clefable buffer with taunt, but seeing as how that mon isn't really relevant anymore subtoxic seemed to be the most effective in this current meta. basically how it functions is if tran is ever granted a free switch, it can punish with the combination of magma storm+earth power+toxic. tran beats every steel and poison type behind a sub and the things that aren't immune or can take on its coverage are put on a timer. the only relevant mons that can switch in repeatedly are spdef mg clef, spdef gliscor, and fini with water stab (all of which are extremely uncommon/niche). this set also beats stall longterm, as sab can't knock off its leftovers and also dugtrio being unable to revenge it, the latter of which is a huge boon towards its viability. sub has the added benefit of avoiding sucker punch mindgames from bisharp and mawile, making it a better check to said mons. there's probably a better ev spread for general purposes, but mine allows tran's sub to tank sab's knock off without getting broken 12.1% of the time 0 Atk Sableye-Mega Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Heatran: 85-102 (22 - 26.4%) -- 12.1% chance to 4HKO, maxing its bulk to take on general things in the tier like lele, zard, etc., outspeeding neutral natured base 70s and uninvested 100s, and the rest in sp atk and a modest nature to hit as hard as possible.

stour game vs pdc

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-268530

every time I got tran in for free I got a kill, though I had bulu's grassy terrain to increase its longevity (got 8 turns of grassy terrain recovery compared to 26 turns of leftovers over the course of the entire battle kek). his pex was sp def I believe, phys def woulda been 2hkod easily but oh well.

Last edited:
This set is hot flames it justs needs a lot of support I feel the right builder could unlock its power

Gorebyss@Waterium Z
252 Spa/252 Spd
Modest
Ability: Swift Swim
-Hydro Pump
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Shell Smash

In the rain at +2 everything dies it OHKO's ferro,toxapex,tapu fini and tangrowth goes down with SR up, pretty much if you get the smash off and rain is up anything bar mantine is screwed, unfournatly it can open up huge gaps in your team as well compounding the rain teams weakness to certain mons it. Either it blows away the other team or becomes deadweight trash so if someone can figure out how to effectively build around it I promise you'll wreck

btw hydration with rest is one of the best ways to beat stall teams that rain has trouble with but only use if you think opponent will bring stall

heres some replays i got today from the ladder were gorebyss put in work
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-559862747
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-559836308

Last edited:
This set is hot flames it justs needs a lot of support I feel the right builder could unlock its power

Gorebyss@Waterium Z
252 Spa/252 Spd
Modest
-Hydro Pump
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Shell Smash

In the rain at +2 everything dies it OHKO's ferro,toxapex,tapu fini and tangrowth goes down with SR up, pretty much if you get the smash off and rain is up anything bar mantine is screwed, unfournatly it can open up huge gaps in your team as well compounding the rain teams weakness to certain mons it. Either it blows away the other team or becomes deadweight trash so if someone can figure out how to effectively build around it I promise you'll wreck

btw hydration with rest is one of the best ways to beat stall teams that rain has trouble with but only use if you think opponent will bring stall
Doesn't Omastar do the same thing, but better?

Omastar @ Waterium Z
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Shell Smash
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power

Its has higher stats in every category except Special Defense, which is only slightly lower. They get the same KOs, so it may seem as though both can be used. However, Omastar resists priority moves such as Extremespeed and Aerilate Quick Attack, which helps it survive longer. Gorebess resists Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch, while Omastar is hit neutrally. Omastar takes about 10% more damage from Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Because of Zygarde's high usage, Mega Pinsir's power, and the fact that rain teams can plow through Mega Scizor anyways (It's not eating a Hydro Pump from Specs Kingdra/Ash Gren), Omastar is probably the superior option.

Bonus points for having Ancientpower to pimp slap Mantine but both can just run HP Elec. Extra bonus points to anyone who pulls off a Gorebyss sweep because that's flames.

Omaster pretty much does the same thing but loss of psychic coverage hurts a lot(kills amoonguss,mega venu with some chip not risking hydro on keldeo) its just harder to setup with omastar due to its rock typing giving it 3 more common weakness in trade for an espeed and fllying resist gorebyss just finds more chances to shell smash but yeah both are very similar I just prefer the psychic coverage and I think rock typing actually hurts omastar also gore cant be revenged as easily by ash-greninja and bp meta which are just as common if not more then zygarde

Tapu Bulu @ Lum Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

here's a really cool tapu bulu set that i did not create, i am just sharing because of how effective it is. you may recall this set from a pokeaim video, thats where i got it. this set is incredibly fun to use, because it is a great stallbreaker and catches the opponent offguard quite a bit. stall's counter measure is usually skarmory, which may give bulu some problems with whirlwind/counter 50/50s. however, this set is quite fun and very powerful.

leech seed is great allowing you to chip away at pokemon like clefable, sableye, skarmory, and metagross. when combined with grassy terrain recovery ad horn leech, it can be pretty hard to take this mon down. it's also very good to take down shedinja, which could very well come in on tapu bulu as it walls the banded / regular SD fightinium set.
swords dance allows tapu bulu's attack to rise even higher than it already is, allowing for horn leech to do even more, recovering more HP.
horn leech is standard STAB, hitting very hard under terrain especially at +2. chosen over wood hammer obviously because of recoil especially on things like chansey, because you don't want to die with it. and the fact that the extra power really isnt necessary on a swords dance variant.
superpower allows you to hit pokemon that may normally wall horn leech, such as skarmory and celesteela.
lum berry is very crucial on this set, because it allows you to freely swords dance on sableye. this is great especially versus lead sableye, you can swords dance risk free on protect / will o wisp, and proceed to hit hard with horn leech, or predict the skarmory and leech seed / superpower. also for the previously mentioned shedinja, provided you dont miss, you can leech seed shed and use the lum berry on the will o wisp. it's also nice for a random toxic from any sort of mon, idk. also useful for scald burns from toxapex and the rare scald tapu fini. leftovers isn't needed because this set has 3 ways of recovery: terrain, seed, and horn leech.
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Sableye-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 241-285 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 163-192 (48.8 - 57.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 219-258 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 760-896 (118.3 - 139.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

versus offense and balance, tapu bulu is still a very hard mon to switch into. its typing is also nice to switch into things like landorus-t and garchomp. while this set is besically garnered to beat stall, it fares well against offense/balance, and can still function properly without being strictly for stallbreak.
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 241-285 (63 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 278-328 (69.8 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 274-324 (70.9 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 255-300 (70.2 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Zygarde in Grassy Terrain: 343-405 (82.2 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

good partners for this set include greninja, heatran, and scizor. Greninja is a great partner because of its ability to beat pokemon that may frustrate tapu bulu, like skarmory and celesteela (hp fire) and lay up spikes to wear down the opponent's team for bulu to sweep. heatran is a great partner because it can break stall with tapu bulu using the magma storm/taunt set, and lay up rocks to weaken bulu's checks. furthermore, it appreciates grassy terrain weakening tangrowth's earthquake and uninvested landorus's (it has a chance to live at full.) scizor is good because it can bring in tapu bulu with u-turn on things like landorus-t and tapu fini. it's also one of the only solid answers to one of tapu bulu's main counters, mega metagross. especially with the pursuit set, it can beat down meta allowing bulu to click horn leech more freely.

i don't have replays of this set in action yet, i don't save replays often. this set is definitely fun and i suggest you give it a try, tapu bulu is certainly a great mon and i will be sure to get some good replays here soon showcasing its power. ty for readin. :]
This set kinda defeats the purpose of standard SD Bulu since you're actually crippling yourself without Fightinium-Z because now you can't break Skarm. Nevertheless, Leech Seed is kinda cool to chip away at its checks (bar Grasses) early on so it's easier to start breaking. So Z-Fight is better in nearly all respects than Lum Berry (although its cool for switching into weak Scalds and other status) to maximize Bulu's stallbreaking ability because in practice even if you can SD on Sab their first response will be Skarm and what will you do from there besides be forced out with Whirlwind (and Superpower has Attack and Defense drops too so factor that in and you aren't 2HKOing it anyway)?

e: didn't want to post again but I'm not really understanding why you'd want to run a set that is supposed to break stall but it can't break it as good as the standard? basically, sd + z-fight already pressures stall like hell and by taking away the z-fight you make bulu pretty much deadweight against stall until Skarm is gone... which bulu could do itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: BM
This set kinda defeats the purpose of standard SD Bulu since you're actually crippling yourself without Fightinium-Z because now you can't break Skarm. Nevertheless, Leech Seed is kinda cool to chip away at its checks (bar Grasses) early on so it's easier to start breaking. So Z-Fight is better in nearly all respects than Lum Berry (although its cool for switching into weak Scalds and other status) to maximize Bulu's stallbreaking ability because in practice even if you can SD on Sab their first response will be Skarm and what will you do from there besides be forced out with Whirlwind (and Superpower has Attack and Defense drops too so factor that in and you aren't 2HKOing it anyway)?
z-fight is a great set too, obviously. you mentioned that this set does not beat skarm, this set isn't supposed to beat skarm. its supposed to be a good stallbreaking mon to chip down at its checks with leech seed/horn leech etc. obviously their first response will be skarm, like i said in my original post, good partners include pokemon that will beat skarm. i will probably edit the part where i mentioned it sd's on sableye, because with skarmory around, you most definitely will not be SD'ing turn one, that's my mistake. i did mention some good partners that beat skarmory and celesteela without relying on using fightinium z to still fail to ohko skarmory at full. this set isn't a complete stallbreaker from the get-go like tapu lele, its meant to beat stall down once skarmory is weakened. the opponent will not be playing aggressive if theyre using stall, so you can make doubles on the skarmory and get a read on the player so that you can weaken it down/setup hazards etc. i do feel like this set has some merits over fightinium-z. if the opponent is playing aggressive, they will be able to play around the Z-move to the point where you cant use it anymore. of course lum berry can be played around as well, but its less expected, so there's that

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Tapu Bulu @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

here's a really cool tapu bulu set that i did not create, i am just sharing because of how effective it is. you may recall this set from a pokeaim video, thats where i got it. this set is incredibly fun to use, because it is a great stallbreaker and catches the opponent offguard quite a bit. stall's counter measure is usually skarmory, which may give bulu some problems with whirlwind/counter 50/50s. however, this set is quite fun and very powerful.

[more stuff i'm just cutting out to keep this easier to read]
So I thought I should just respond to this since I built the team that this set comes from (and was used in one of joey's lives). First of all, this team already had a z-move user (groundium-z Volcanion, which Tony came up with and was used one or two more times in SPL), and bulu was mainly on this team because the terrain control it offered was absolutely fantastic. I'm personally of the opinion that bulu's best quality is his ability and that's where you will get the most out of him, although I will admit z-move SD sets can occasionally do some good damage. Anyway, this particular set was the one I came up with for the original version of the team. The idea was indeed to break stall without using moves dedicated solely to the stall mu (taunt). Leech Seed is generically useful and allows u to be more durable vs clef and break skarmory's sturdy without any repurcussions from +4/+6 horn leeching on a counter. Since standard stall ran skarmory with counter but not whirlwind, you were free to sd and seed as you wish. The problem was clef could eventually outlast bulu anyway, and the team already had marowak which itself completely dismantles stall (especially with grassy terrain recovery) if it can find free opportunities on clef and skarm. And in any other MU, I found that sd superpower were mostly useless, as I mostly used bulu to pivot into attacks and make full potential of grassy terrain (which can really allow for some insanely creative gameplans, it really is bulu's best trait). Thus, I came up with a different set.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 168 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness / Swords Dance
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The key behind this set is leftovers and protect. Every turn bulu heals 1/8 of its health, and with protect, it becomes insanely difficult to kill. This bulu can switch into an unboosted Tapu Lele even if rocks are up thanks to protect (252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 168 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 153-181 (47.3 - 56%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery) and can very easily get back all of its health after pushing a switch by simply leech seeding/horn leeching. Bulu becomes insanely tough to kill and thus forces your opponents to distort their plans around it, while giving you plenty of time to make full abuse of the terrain. In Tony's game vs PDC I had put Nature's Madness as the last move just so that bulu could consistently chunk anything and make itself useful that way, but if you really want to be secure vs stall, use SD and pair it with the following Marowak:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 12 Def / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

This marowak set is intended to destroy stall, especially with the support of bulu (which as I shall explain shortly, goes beyond grassy terrain coverage). Rock Head Flare Blitz allows Wak to comfortably ohko Chansey at +2 and avoid a toxic, something which fire punch cannot do. Bonemerang allows you to bypass the damage reduction of grassy terrain that you would experience using EQ, and is also multihit meaning it helps a ton vs sash dug and scolipede. What I like most about this wak is its spread, because max HP really gives it a massive bulk bump. Duggy's pursuit off of a switch can't even 2hko marowak and with grassy terrain support wak can stick around for a while. The 12 defense evs with the max hp let you live an EQ from defensive landorus. The loss of atk barely makes a difference, 108+ is all you need to guarantee some certain offensive calc I have now forgotten, and the speed outruns neutral uninvested base 60s like clef. Here are calcs to demonstrate the difference all that bulk investment makes:

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 272-324 (104.2 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 270-320 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 254-300 (97.3 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 248-294 (76.7 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Dugtrio Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 136-160 (52.1 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 134-158 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

With a +2 wak you can literally 6-0 stall, although if you don't have grassy up the opponent can EQ wak (as you ko with +2 bonemerang) and then force you out with clef, which is the only thing that can avoid the OHKO (in this case you use grassy terrain and pivoting to make wak healthy again :D). The key is, you need to get this SD, which you can only really get on Skarm (most lack whirlwind, and can't touch wak otherwise anyway), or on clefable. And surprise surprise, those are the only 2 mons on stall that can really take on an SD Bulu. SD > NM disallows the opponent from tossing in stuff like pex or chansey and forces their hand into the two mons that wak has a field day against, which is absolutely perfect for breaking stall. The bulu set itself is probably the most tailored to my particualr team, although I really suggest you try out lefties protect with good bulk evs cuz even if you drop seeds + sd/nm, you'll get a lot of mileage out of protect. SD Lum berry is still pretty cool though, I think i would use taunt > seeds on that set though just so that you can have a better chance at dismantling stall with mainly bulu.

Replay: [WOLF] Tony vs PDC [SHRK] (hopefully that link works).

Also to those who run this thread, I highly suggest considering the sets posted in the SPL Set Dump as submissions to this project. A lot of them have replays (or can be found, most were used in SPL games), and there are some really excellent sets (cough azumarill cough) that I think should be displayed in this thread and can perhaps inspire some more creative builds. I'm sure anyone who posted their sets there (myself included) wouldn't mind seeing their sets in the OP with due credit :)

Last edited:
So I thought I should just respond to this since I built the team that this set comes from (and was used in one of joey's lives). First of all, this team already had a z-move user (groundium-z Volcanion, which Tony came up with and was used one or two more times in SPL), and bulu was mainly on this team because the terrain control it offered was absolutely fantastic. I'm personally of the opinion that bulu's best quality is his ability and that's where you will get the most out of him, although I will admit z-move SD sets can occasionally do some good damage. Anyway, this particular set was the one I came up with for the original version of the team. The idea was indeed to break stall without using moves dedicated solely to the stall mu (taunt). Leech Seed is generically useful and allows u to be more durable vs clef and break skarmory's sturdy without any repurcussions from +4/+6 horn leeching on a counter. Since standard stall ran skarmory with counter but not whirlwind, you were free to sd and seed as you wish. The problem was clef could eventually outlast bulu anyway, and the team already had marowak which itself completely dismantles stall (especially with grassy terrain recovery) if it can find free opportunities on clef and skarm. And in any other MU, I found that sd superpower were mostly useless, as I mostly used bulu to pivot into attacks and make full potential of grassy terrain (which can really allow for some insanely creative gameplans, it really is bulu's best trait). Thus, I came up with a different set.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 168 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness / Swords Dance
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The key behind this set is leftovers and protect. Every turn bulu heals 1/8 of its health, and with protect, it becomes insanely difficult to kill. This bulu can switch into an unboosted Tapu Lele even if rocks are up thanks to protect (252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 168 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 153-181 (47.3 - 56%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery) and can very easily get back all of its health after pushing a switch by simply leech seeding/horn leeching. Bulu becomes insanely tough to kill and thus forces your opponents to distort their plans around it, while giving you plenty of time to make full abuse of the terrain. In Tony's game vs PDC I had put Nature's Madness as the last move just so that bulu could consistently chunk anything and make itself useful that way, but if you really want to be secure vs stall, use SD and pair it with the following Marowak:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 12 Def / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

This marowak set is intended to destroy stall, especially with the support of bulu (which as I shall explain shortly, goes beyond grassy terrain coverage). Rock Head Flare Blitz allows Wak to comfortably ohko Chansey at +2 and avoid a toxic, something which fire punch cannot do. Bonemerang allows you to bypass the damage reduction of grassy terrain that you would experience using EQ, and is also multihit meaning it helps a ton vs sash dug and scolipede. What I like most about this wak is its spread, because max HP really gives it a massive bulk bump. Duggy's pursuit off of a switch can't even 2hko marowak and with grassy terrain support wak can stick around for a while. The 12 defense evs with the max hp let you live an EQ from defensive landorus. The loss of atk barely makes a difference, 108+ is all you need to guarantee some certain offensive calc I have now forgotten, and the speed outruns neutral uninvested base 60s like clef. Here are calcs to demonstrate the difference all that bulk investment makes:

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 272-324 (104.2 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 270-320 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 254-300 (97.3 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 248-294 (76.7 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Dugtrio Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 136-160 (52.1 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Marowak-Alola: 134-158 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

With a +2 wak you can literally 6-0 stall, although if you don't have grassy up the opponent can EQ wak (as you ko with +2 bonemerang) and then force you out with clef, which is the only thing that can avoid the OHKO (in this case you use grassy terrain and pivoting to make wak healthy again :D). The key is, you need to get this SD, which you can only really get on Skarm (most lack whirlwind, and can't touch wak otherwise anyway), or on clefable. And surprise surprise, those are the only 2 mons on stall that can really take on an SD Bulu. SD > NM disallows the opponent from tossing in stuff like pex or chansey and forces their hand into the two mons that wak has a field day against, which is absolutely perfect for breaking stall. The bulu set itself is probably the most tailored to my particualr team, although I really suggest you try out lefties protect with good bulk evs cuz even if you drop seeds + sd/nm, you'll get a lot of mileage out of protect. SD Lum berry is still pretty cool though, I think i would use taunt > seeds on that set though just so that you can have a better chance at dismantling stall with mainly bulu.

Replay: [WOLF] Tony vs PDC [SHRK] (hopefully that link works).

Also to those who run this thread, I highly suggest considering the sets posted in the SPL Set Dump as submissions to this project. A lot of them have replays (or can be found, most were used in SPL games), and there are some really excellent sets (cough azumarill cough) that I think should be displayed in this thread and can perhaps inspire some more creative builds. I'm sure anyone who posted their sets there (myself included) wouldn't mind seeing their sets in the OP with due credit :)
awesome dude, thanks. i used that volcanion team a lot and loved it, won most if not all games with it. really solid build, love the bulu set. also this marowak set is awesome, love destroying stall with it, ima definitely build a team or two with the new bulu set and marowak set. always love to see ur teams and games bro, keep it up :]

Rockium Z Celesteela

Celesteela @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Special Celesteela gets stopped or at least pressured to sweep with the following mons everywhere: Zapdos, Chansey, Heatran, Zards or even Hoopa-U. Today I wanna show you, that physical Celesteela is equally viable with Rockium Z. It beats common switch-ins to special Celesteela but loses to mons, that special Celesteela breaks through easily (Rocky Helmet Landot, Rotom-W, Ferrothorn).

The spread maximizes Celesteela offensive presence. Max speed is needed to potentially outspeed Specs/AV Magnezone and kill it with Earthquake. Jolly can be used if you want to speedtie with Scarf Hydreigon at+2 and outspeed Scarf Lele but Adamant is definitely the preferred nature because of this calc:

252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 292-344 (76.2 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 266-314 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If Zapdos switches in on the Autotomize and gains one Leftovers recovery, Z-Edge never kills with a Jolly nature.

Since Rockium Z Celesteela is one of the best Zapdos lures ever (prob. the best), MPinsir will love you
Other teammates should be able to reliably weaken Landot, Ferrothorn and Rotom-W. Potential great teammates:
- MPinsir
- Choice Band Zygarde
- Magma Storm Heatran
- Kyurem-B
- Magnezone
- Knock Off Landot (for Bronzong and helps getting rid of Shed Shell for Magnezone)
- Whirlpool Fini
- Extrasensory Greninja

252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 330-390 (111.1 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 273-322 (90.6 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Rotom-Wash: 125-148 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560287254 Turn 9, Z Bounce Gyara attempts to setup on me with DD+Taunt but fails thanks to Z-Edge. I also win endgame and Automotize on the Exca Turn 14.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560147660 Turn 16, Zardy cannot stop my sweep

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Rockium Z Celesteela

Celesteela @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Special Celesteela gets stopped or at least pressured to sweep with the following mons everywhere: Zapdos, Chansey, Heatran, Zards or even Hoopa-U. Today I wanna show you, that physical Celesteela is equally viable with Rockium Z. It beats common switch-ins to special Celesteela but loses to mons, that special Celesteela breaks through easily (Rocky Helmet Landot, Rotom-W, Ferrothorn).

The spread maximizes Celesteela offensive presence. Max speed is needed to potentially outspeed Specs/AV Magnezone and kill it with Earthquake. Jolly can be used if you want to speedtie with Scarf Hydreigon at+2 and outspeed Scarf Lele but Adamant is definitely the preferred nature because of this calc:

252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 292-344 (76.2 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 266-314 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If Zapdos switches in on the Automotize and gains one Leftovers recovery, Z-Edge never kills with a Jolly nature.

Since Rockium Z Celesteela is one of the best Zapdos lures ever (prob. the best), MPinsir will love you
Other teammates should be able to reliably weaken Landot, Ferrothorn and Rotom-W. Potential great teammates:
- MPinsir
- Choice Band Zygarde
- Magma Storm Heatran
- Kyurem-B
- Magnezone
- Knock Off Landot (for Bronzong and helps getting rid of Shed Shell for Magnezone)
- Whirlpool Fini
- Extrasensory Greninja

252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 330-390 (111.1 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 273-322 (90.6 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Celesteela Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Rotom-Wash: 125-148 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560287254 Turn 9, Z Bounce Gyara attempts to setup on me with DD+Taunt but fails thanks to Z-Edge. I also win endgame and Automotize on the Exca Turn 14.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560147660 Turn 16, Zardy cannot stop my sweep
Is beating Zapdos Zard and other miscellaneous Flying types actually worth giving up Fire Blast? The physical set that I used back when Autot Steela was getting some traction used it to hit Ferrothorn Scizor and Skarmory which are pretty key imo. Your set obviously has the surprise factor which is pretty nice and also why I think physical has a niche lately because people always expect Special when they see Autoto and go Heatran/Nihilego etc but I think Fire Blast targets are more common even though people don't try to beat Steela with then fearing Fire Blast
e: your set is cool nonetheless and I might try it later just wanted to know your reasoning behind that n_n
e@below: It reduces the weight in 200 lbs but Steela is 999lbs so it's still max damage on pretty much everything relevant iirc

Last edited:
Rockium Z Celesteela

Celesteela @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

If Zapdos switches in on the Automotize and gains one Leftovers recovery, Z-Edge never kills with a Jolly nature.

- MPinsir
- Choice Band Zygarde
- Magma Storm Heatran
- Kyurem-B
- Magnezone
- Whirlpool Fini
- Extrasensory Greninja

IIRC, Doesn't Automatize half your weight, making Heavy Slam significantly weaker? Im not sure of this, but I think that the physical sets are less potent because of this.

Is beating Zapdos Zard and other miscellaneous Flying types actually worth giving up Fire Blast? The physical set that I used back when Autot Steela was getting some traction used it to hit Ferrothorn Scizor and Skarmory which are pretty key imo. Your set obviously has the surprise factor which is pretty nice and also why I think physical has a niche lately because people always expect Special when they see Autoto and go Heatran/Nihilego etc but I think Fire Blast targets are more common even though people don't try to beat Steela with then fearing Fire Blast
e: your set is cool nonetheless and I might try it later just wanted to know your reasoning behind that n_n
e@below: It reduces the weight in 200 lbs but Steela is 999lbs so it's still max damage on pretty much everything relevant iirc
I think it is easier to weaken/pressure Ferro, Mzor and Skarmory (Magnezone says hi) than Zards, Zapdos and other Flyingtypes. EdgeQuake also offers almost unresisted combination.
In an endgame situation, your opponent is also more likely to sack Ferro, Mzor and Skarmory when they see a healthy Celesteela on your side and keep the other mons, that are lured by Z-Edge, healthy.

Celesteela is 999.9 kg/2204.4 lbs and loses 100kg/220 lbs per Autotomize.
Still heavy enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe (can go bulkier, depends on team)
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

was experimenting with bulu and I wanted a set that manhandled stall without compromising any of its wallbreaking potential with weird/unnecessary coverage. this may not seem like that drastic a change from the standard set, but there are a couple reasons why I think z grass is superior to z fight. z wood hammer actually outdamages z superpower vs 2x resisted mons, the option of being able to hit hard immediately without having to set up allows it to function as a one time nuke that even outdamages cb, the things you hit with z superpower already drop to +2 regular superpower bar a few niche mons, having a grass stab that is ~2.5x stronger than a mere horn leech is a huge difference in power, and z wood hammer hits a much more broad spectrum that would normally be able to check sd bulu.

+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole in Grassy Terrain: 384-452 (104.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu in Grassy Terrain: 451-531 (131.1 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 316-373 (103.9 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 179-211 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery (more ideal if you catch it unmegad, but as you can see it can only really switch in once)
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss in Grassy Terrain: 322-379 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth in Grassy Terrain: 420-495 (103.9 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (don't use savage spin out pls)
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 411-484 (107.3 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (who needs continental crush lol)
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola in Grassy Terrain: 471-554 (145.3 - 170.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 307-362 (102.6 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 592-697 (154.9 - 182.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (best part is you don't take all that recoil)
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 315-372 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 448-528 (113.7 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-268641 an example of sd bulu not being able to beat stall because clefable outstalled it, stour semis flcl vs blunder)
+6 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. +6 240 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 289-342 (69.3 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (z wood hammer being able to actually threaten zyg which it otherwise would be able to set up on with sub, coil, and 12.5% recovery)

all out pummel is really only better vs scizor and celesteela, both of which are somewhat passive, easy to chip, and switch into. also if your opponent knows any better they would obviously scout rather than die to it after an sd. skarmory are typically counter and is set up fodder because you can just horn leech into superpower and knock it out. other 4x grass resist that would threaten to ohko bulu and are able to switch in handily such as zard, volc, scoli, pinsir, dnite have opportunity cost in being stealth rock weak, with their viability further exacerbated with the tier itself not having the best removers. venusaur and amoonguss are as close as it comes to an ideal counter, but both are for the most part inferior options in this metagame because of tangrowth (shedinja is the only mon that counters this set I believe). I don't reccomend using this set over leech seed and z fight if bulu is on a bo team and is your primary switchin to water types (since you need the longevity), but both are able to pressure general team archtypes well enough and still retain a strong presence. I also don't think defensive variants are all they're hyped up to be since it would just sit there and be annoying without accomplishing anything, though that's just my two cents. here's a funny replay of a friend of mine who tried to cteam stall, but still managed to make a comeback with bulu surprisingly enough. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-267911

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe (can go bulkier, depends on team)
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

was experimenting with bulu and I wanted a set that manhandled stall without compromising any of its wallbreaking potential with weird/unnecessary coverage. this may not seem like that drastic a change from the standard set, but there are a couple reasons why I think z grass is superior to z fight. z wood hammer actually outdamages z superpower vs 2x resisted mons, the option of being able to hit hard immediately without having to set up allows it to function as a one time nuke that even outdamages cb, the things you hit with z superpower already drop to +2 regular superpower bar a few niche mons, having a grass stab that is ~2.5x stronger than a mere horn leech is a huge difference in power, and z wood hammer hits a much more broad spectrum that would normally be able to check sd bulu.

+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole in Grassy Terrain: 384-452 (104.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu in Grassy Terrain: 451-531 (131.1 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 316-373 (103.9 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 179-211 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery (more ideal if you catch it unmegad, but as you can see it can only really switch in once)
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss in Grassy Terrain: 322-379 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth in Grassy Terrain: 420-495 (103.9 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (don't use savage spin out pls)
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 411-484 (107.3 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (who needs continental crush lol)
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola in Grassy Terrain: 471-554 (145.3 - 170.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 307-362 (102.6 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 592-697 (154.9 - 182.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (best part is you don't take all that recoil)
+1 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 315-372 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 448-528 (113.7 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-268641 an example of sd bulu not being able to beat stall because clefable outstalled it, stour semis flcl vs blunder)
+6 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. +6 240 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 289-342 (69.3 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (z wood hammer being able to actually threaten zyg which it otherwise would be able to set up on with sub, coil, and 12.5% recovery)

all out pummel is really only better vs scizor and celesteela, both of which are somewhat passive, easy to chip, and switch into. also if your opponent knows any better they would obviously scout rather than die to it after an sd. skarmory are typically counter and is set up fodder because you can just horn leech into superpower and knock it out. other 4x grass resist that would threaten to ohko bulu and are able to switch in handily such as zard, volc, scoli, pinsir, dnite have opportunity cost in being stealth rock weak, with their viability further exacerbated with the tier itself not having the best removers. venusaur and amoonguss are as close as it comes to an ideal counter, but both are for the most part inferior options in this metagame because of tangrowth (shedinja is the only mon that counters this set I believe). I don't reccomend using this set over leech seed and z fight if bulu is on a bo team and is your primary switchin to water types (since you need the longevity), but both are able to pressure general team archtypes well enough and still retain a strong presence. I also don't think defensive variants are all they're hyped up to be since it would just sit there and be annoying without accomplishing anything, though that's just my two cents. here's a funny replay of a friend of mine who tried to cteam stall, but still managed to make a comeback with bulu surprisingly enough. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-267911
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Taunt

Regarding the replay abt regular SD Bulu not being able to break Clefable after terrain is gone:
Tats why I use Lefties/Lum Taunt SD Horn Leech Superpower:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-564061461

You can use Stone Edge over Superpower if you cannot get up rocks against Shedinja Stall or if you are slower than Zapdos and cannot prevent the Defog so that you can hit Shedinja. But I like Superpower coz offense.

The taunt set is safer against stall because you are not relying on any Zmove to break through Clef. Also with Leftovers you can actually outrecover Rocky Helmet Tangs who do not have Sludge Bomb.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-558537668

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)