SM CAP Weekly Research

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Idea / OP taken from SM OU Weekly Research

In this thread, every week, two Pokemon will get the spotlight in a laddering competition! Get the highest among the participants of the thread to see how well these two "test subjects" function in the SM CAP metagame! While laddering, participants will post their experiences with these two test subjects, such as which teams they work on best, what the best sets are, etc. The winner of the laddering competition amongst WR competitors will receive LBC points equivalent to those in this thread.

Procedure/Rules:
  • Each week, 2 Pokemon will be chosen as our "test subjects".
  • In order to participate in the research:
    • You can go on Pokemon Showdown and create a brand new WR# alt and proceed to try and top the ladder. You do not have to reach #1 on the ladder; you will only be competing against everyone else who has signed up with a WR alt for that week.
      • WR Alt Example: WR(Week#) (Name) - WR1 snake for Week 1, for example.
  • You will post in this thread with your alt name as well as the Pokemon(s) that you will be using for the week. If you want to make a new alt, edit your post in the thread saying that you made a new alt. If you fail to post in the thread with your corresponding alt, you will be disqualified from winning for the week.
  • From there, start laddering! Get a team with any of the test subjects and go try and reach the highest on the ladder competing with the other WR competitors. Tournament battles are also great, but get on the ladder too!
  • The laddering phase and discussion phase begin immediately at the start of the week; you may post at any time during the week for the discussion phase.
  • During the week, you must post in this thread about your experiences with any of the test subjects that you played with. Note: You don't need to post any more than once during the round. Your post doesn't have to be insanely detailed, although the more detailed your post, the better of a chance of you winning the discussion phase of each round.
  • When posting, you can include (but are not limited to):
    • Strategies used
    • Sets used
    • How you went about building with the Pokemon
    • General strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
    • If the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
    • How the Pokemon fares in high level / tournament play (examples are nice here)
  • There will be one Hall Of Fame for the posting phase which users will compete to have their name in.
    • There will be two winners of the posting phase, one for each test subject; the winners of the posting phase will be the users who make the best post about their test subjects in all of the different categories listed above; the winners of the posting phase will be decided by myself and any co-hosts that might be interested
  • Also recommended is that you please save your replays while laddering. Replays are always nice to see directly how the Pokemon perform in battle, so please save replays often to show how the test subjects do in normal matches.
  • Your posts for the posting phase don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
Those are the rules; at the end of the day, I just want you guys to go out there and have fun using a number of underexplored and fun Pokemon, because at the end of the day that is the whole point of this thread, so go out there, and get to researching!

Week 1: Arghonaut and Mollux

Arghonaut was a huge winner of updates; whereas Mollux is a huge winner from the Dugtrio ban. How well do they play in the current metagame? Try the old sets, but experiment with non-standard sets! Make sure you've read the rules about alt names and posting rules/requirements! The alt with the highest ELO will win LBC points. This round will end on Saturday, October 28th.

sorry for be late x)
Arghonaut is a really good mon that can fit really good in balanced and semi stall teams it can be used for offensive teams with technichian argho but is not that great cuz the low speed and it get outclassed by azumarill and fairy, flying moves z, tapu koko make a poor bulky offensive pokemon
-Sets i reccomend use
  • Tank is a great set if your team is weak to volkraken or stronger special atacks due the typing and a really good HP
  • Defensive this set is for resist pretty much stronger physical atacks and say goodbye to all sd and dd users like offensive zygarde, garchomp, scizor, charizard x, etc
  • The hazzard setter is the best set for arghonaut imo due can switch your pokemon from your opponent and toxic if they stay boosting
Tank
Arghonaut @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 200 HP / 220 Atk / 88 SpD
- Drain Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Recover
- Knock Off

Defensive
Arghonaut @ Leftovers
- Drain Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Recover
- Knock Off

Hazzard setter:
Arghonaut @ Leftovers
- Circle Throw
- Toxic
- Recover
- Spikes

-Building
Arghonaut is easy to build around beacuse is easy to find the good parnert for him. Why? beacuse all the pokemon can make troubles for him are easy to counter (expect for landorus t) let's take a easy example for a weakeaness argho is countered by tapu koko wich can ohko in all him variants so, what is the best counter for that mon? a grass bulky mon and you have a solid typing sinergy grass and water. The only problem i see with argho in terms of building is that he can't be put for wheataber reason i mean some pokemons can be put for no reason and still very good in the team so build argho in a offensive team is more harder beacuse arghonaut can't do a strong damage in comparitions with others aqua jet users like azumarill.

-Pros and cons
Pros:
  • Good spike setter
  • Good HP
  • Easy to use
  • Good defensives stats
  • The best uneware pokemon
  • Decent offensive
  • Make a lot of preasure of the opponent
Cons:
  • Really weak to flynium z
  • Weak to all the tapus
Both of that weakness make a lot of problems due the popular use of electric terrain or electric type pokemon that argho can't touch such as zapdos and the inclussion with tapu lele can't use his aqua jet very decently and with misty terrain can't abuse from toxic

-So is it good in the meta?
Well it is good but i think depend more in the player and how they use it don't get me wrong argho is easy to use for hazzard setter and it have really good parnerts for him such as ferrothorn, brongzor, celesteela, colossoil, excadrill. In high level play i'm not to sure if is popular (i don't watch others battles very much) but in the right hands can be a god take a example with my alt Ermano que wea i was using something similar to a semistall before the weekly research and the 60% don't know very well what can be used (tomorrow if i find more replays i will put him here)

-Parnerts
Offensive:

• Excadrill
  • Colossoil
  • Magnezone
  • Celesteela
  • Cawmodore
  • tomohawk
Defensive:
  • Ferrothorn
  • Celesteela
  • Bronzorg
  • Gastrodon
  • Cyclohm
  • Heatran

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't have time for the ladder challenge but I wanted to take a second to talk about an argho set that I've had a decent bit of success with in the past.

upload_2017-10-29_2-1-5.png

Arghonaut @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Circle Throw
- Recover
- Knock Off

The EVs on this set were made to let it live a psychic in terrain from scarf Lele after rocks damage. Iapapa is used over leftovers because I wanted the set to be a soft check to Lele, knocking off its scarf, living a psychic, and still having a decent amount of HP. I used it first on this team which has seen decent success on the ladder and in CAPTT. Argho worked really well on another team I built for CAPTT, it was played well in games from PD's week 4 match and my own week 3 match.

I'll add calcs later

Last edited:
I don't have time for the ladder challenge but I wanted to take a second to talk about an argho set that I've had a decent bit of success with in the past.

View attachment 90281
Arghonaut @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Circle Throw
- Recover
- Knock Off

The EVs on this set were made to let it live a psychic in terrain from scarf Lele after rocks damage. Iapapa is used over leftovers because I wanted the set to be a soft check to Lele, knocking off its scarf and living a psychic. I used it first on this team which has seen decent success on the ladder and in CAPTT. Argho worked really well on another team I built for CAPTT, it was played well in games from PD's week 4 match and my own week 3 match.

I'll add calcs later
I thought iapapa is for z psychic volc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)