Sketchmons ORAS - Diggersby and Shell Smash Banned!

Since nomination for OMotM begin in like, 3 days, I'm thinking to nominate Sketchmons Ubers this month. Would it be a good idea?

Some notable things for Ubers:
1. Less -atespeed users, only Mega Mence, unless you want to use the OU ones in ubers (which is completely viable btw, possibly Mega Pinsir>Mence).
2. Less -ateboomburst, again, unless you want to use the OU ones (also completely viable).

Possible initial banlist:
1. Ubers Clauses, including Mega Rayquaza
2. Sketch Clause
3. Shell Smash (planning to get this banned in OU Sketchmons too)
4. Shift Gear (with reasoning below)

Edit: Also, I'm banning Shift Gear for Sketchmons Ubers. Reasoning? +2 Speed is unrevengable by Scarfers, while Dragon Dance can be revenged, same reasoning as Shell Smash. Why I am not banning Geomancy is because Geomancy is only a single use and requires you to Run Power Herb, while you can use Shift Gear multiple times. And also, because this is Ubers, I am opposed to ban any pokemon so I ban moves instead.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post, but after asking for feedbacks and preference, I've decided NOT to nominate Sketchmons Ubers this time, probably because people find it unappealing with crazy broken threats (pdon + Vcreate, Ekiller + Belly Drum, Earth Power Geoxern, Quiver Dance Pogre, etc.). However, I WILL nominate Sketchmons Ubers if this wins and cooldown finishes.

Instead, I have two ban announcement, because I don't want a suspect test at the beginning of the month:

Diggersby is banned. Last time this become OMotM, I suspected this thing and got some replies, then the month ends. After some analyzing and disscussion in PS, I decided to ban this thing. This thing has the same problem as Mega Pinsir, being able to 6-0 Offense, Balance and Stall by ONE set, which is Swords Dance, Extremespeed, Earthquake and Wild Charge or Knock Off. It's hardly checkable (I'm using checks as a basis for this meta because pokemon having ANY move means that counters is not really a good argument here) and it's nigh unwallable by Stall teams. It's incredibly centralizing to the point that you need to bring at least TWO walls for it for non-HO teams, reason being things that designed to beat SD set get destroyed by Band sets (Hippowdon for example, can check the SD set but got 2HKO'd by Band Earthquake). Note that this does NOT count as quickban because this has been tested suspected before in last OMotM.

Shell Smash is banned from sketching. After ALSO doing a little analyzing and receiving some feedbacks, I decided to ban this thing because of some reasons. First, this is the most ridiculous and slappable set up move that you can slap on any good Physical OR Special sweeper and you can just 6-0 any team with it, including stall teams. Second, unlike Geomancy, this can be used ANYTIME and you can stack it with Life Orb (I mean, If you use Geomancy, it needs Power Herb, resulting in you giving up Life Orb. As a result, it's not that different than Life Orb + Quiver Dance in terms of power boost because Geomancy boost 2x Special Attack while Quiver Dance + Life Orb boost gives 1.5 x 1.3 = x1.95 boost, which is comparable to Geomancy in terms of power boost. Plus, Geomancy can only be used once, unlike Shell Smash). It literally requires priority to stop (which stall is very hard to afford) and it's very unpredictable because ANY sweeper can use this, while other set up moves (Shift Gear or Quiver Dance) are exclusively Physical and Special. Note that you can still use Shell Smash by using the mon that learns it naturally.

I'm actually trying very hard not to ban anything for this meta (most of my arguments in other metas whenever there's a suspect are anti-ban lol), but after seeing the last time this become OMotM, both of these definitely needs it. Hopefully there will be no more bans after these two. Probably one or two more bans is okay, but no more than that, as too much bans is not good in any meta.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Sorry for double post, but after asking for feedbacks and preference, I've decided NOT to nominate Sketchmons Ubers this time, probably because people find it unappealing with crazy broken threats (pdon + Vcreate, Ekiller + Belly Drum, Earth Power Geoxern, Quiver Dance Pogre, etc.). However, I WILL nominate Sketchmons Ubers if this wins and cooldown finishes.

Instead, I have two ban announcement, because I don't want a suspect test at the beginning of the month:

Diggersby is banned. Last time this become OMotM, I suspected this thing and got some replies, then the month ends. After some analyzing and disscussion in PS, I decided to ban this thing. This thing has the same problem as Mega Pinsir, being able to 6-0 Offense, Balance and Stall by ONE set, which is Swords Dance, Extremespeed, Earthquake and Wild Charge or Knock Off. It's hardly checkable (I'm using checks as a basis for this meta because pokemon having ANY move means that counters is not really a good argument here) and it's nigh unwallable by Stall teams. It's incredibly centralizing to the point that you need to bring at least TWO walls for it for non-HO teams, reason being things that designed to beat SD set get destroyed by Band sets (Hippowdon for example, can check the SD set but got 2HKO'd by Band Earthquake). Note that this does NOT count as quickban because this has been tested suspected before in last OMotM.

Shell Smash is banned from sketching. After ALSO doing a little analyzing and receiving some feedbacks, I decided to ban this thing because of some reasons. First, this is the most ridiculous and slappable set up move that you can slap on any good Physical OR Special sweeper and you can just 6-0 any team with it, including stall teams. Second, unlike Geomancy, this can be used ANYTIME and you can stack it with Life Orb (I mean, If you use Geomancy, it needs Power Herb, resulting in you giving up Life Orb. As a result, it's not that different than Life Orb + Quiver Dance in terms of power boost because Geomancy boost 2x Special Attack while Quiver Dance + Life Orb boost gives 1.5 x 1.3 = x1.95 boost, which is comparable to Geomancy in terms of power boost. Plus, Geomancy can only be used once, unlike Shell Smash). It literally requires priority to stop (which stall is very hard to afford) and it's very unpredictable because ANY sweeper can use this, while other set up moves (Shift Gear or Quiver Dance) are exclusively Physical and Special. Note that you can still use Shell Smash by using the mon that learns it naturally.

I'm actually trying very hard not to ban anything for this meta (most of my arguments in other metas whenever there's a suspect are anti-ban lol), but after seeing the last time this become OMotM, both of these definitely needs it. Hopefully there will be no more bans after these two. Probably one or two more bans is okay, but no more than that, as too much bans is not good in any meta.
Cam we still evaluate Sleep moves and possibly Thundurus-I? I adresses my concerns in previous posts.

Cam we still evaluate Sleep moves and possibly Thundurus-I? I adresses my concerns in previous posts.
Sure. I actually already planned that Sleep moves are the next possible suspect once this wins, though this needs to win if we want to suspect them, because those things can't be quickbanned and they need an evaluation on how they impact the meta.

So vote Sketchmons for OMotM, ok?

Chopin Alkaninoff asked me to write up a few sets for this meta using the new release Volcanion.

Base Data:

Newly Released mon:
Volcanion - Fire/Water | Water Absorb | 80/110/120/130/90/70 | 600 BST | Unreleased | Low Kick/Grass Knot: 100 BP (195 kg)

Newly Released move:
Steam Eruption - Water | Special | Power: 110 | Accuracy: 95% | PP: 5 (8) | 30% chance to burn the target.

---

Volcanion as a Base Mon with Sketch:

Offensive STAB Typing:

Super Effective: Bug, Fire, Grass, Ground, Ice, Rock, Steel
Neutral: Dark, Electric, Fairy, Fighting, Flying, Ghost, Normal, Poison, Psychic
Resists: Dragon, Water
Immunities: None

Defensive Typing:
Weaknesses: Electric, Ground, Rock
Resistances: Bug, Fairy, Fire, Ice, Steel
Immunities: Water (Excluding Mold Breaker; such as Mega-Gyarados)

Overview:
Volcanion is decently bulky (though not enough to be a tank); while being too slow to be a sweeper and having decent, but not amazing SpA. Additionally weakness to the omnipresent Earthquake and not having the special bulk to take even a specs Rotom Pivot:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 356-420 (97.8 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
[Even with good HP investment it doesn't tank]

Sketch Choices:
Setup:
- Quiver Dance - After setup (with max Spe investment) you have 393 Spe, which outspeeds everything with less than 130 Spe (Slower than Aerodactyl).
- Agility - After setup (with max Spe investment) you have 524, which outspeeds everything that isn't wearing a scarf.
- Tail Glow - This is -an option- though honestly your speed is a bigger issue to running this mon than your SpA; since you really aren't bulky.

Coverage:
- Freeze Dry - This move is SE to both types that wall your STABs.

Stab/Setup:
-
Fiery Dance - Can be chosen over Flamethrower/Fire Blast; probably not worth it outside of Choice or Assault Vest sets.

Set Examples:

Setup Sweeper:
Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4/0/0/252/0/252
Nature: Timid ( +Speed, -Attack)
Quiver Dance Sketched
Steam Eruption
Flamethrower
Sludge Wave / HP Grass / HP Dragon

Bulky Tank:

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252/0/0/252/4/0
Nature: Modest ( +Special Attack, -Attack)
Freeze Dry Sketched
Steam Eruption
Flamethrower
Earth Power - Hits Pesky Electric Types (Except Rotom).

Hybrid:

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252/0/0/4/0/252
Fiery Dance Sketched
Steam Eruption
Earth Power / Flame Charge

Scarf:

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4/0/0/252/0/252
Fiery Dance Sketched
Steam Eruption
Earth Power

---

Steam Eruption as Sketched Move:

Steam Eruption can be viewed as a more-accurate hydro pump with a burn chance or a more-powerful scald with far lower PP. Most scald mons that rely on bulk and burns chipping away (Like Slowbro) would probably prefer to stick to scald, rather than the lower PP move, which is better suited to sweeper builds. However, it's certainly worthwhile as a sketched move either as primary STAB or as a coverage slot.

Most obvious set:

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 0/0/0/252/4/252
Secret Sword
Steam Eruption Sketched - Instead of Hydro Pump
Icy Wind
Substitute

Other Mons that might consider using Steam Eruption as STAB: Rotom-Wash, Manaphy, Slowbro, Starmie (OU); Blastoise-Mega, Empoleon, Milotic, Vaporeon (UU).

It's also viable as a coverage sketch; though water coverage is worse than say, ice; Steam Eruption is the same power level as Hurricane, Blizzard, Fire Blast, etc. WITHOUT being inaccurate, so it's worth considering of mons that appreciate being able to hit ground, rock and fire types in coverage.

Last edited:
It depends. Mega Blastoise uses either Hydro Pump or Scald in standard, so the choice between Origin Pulse and Steam Eruption really comes down to you either being an offensive or defensive set. One move is powerful, the other is accurate and...hot.

It's a good set, although given which Hidden Power you choose determines what you lose to. If you pick Ground, you can't touch bulky Dragon types - if you pick Ice you can't touch Heatran.

Sorry for Double Post, something I wanted to bring up. Earlier today I was in the OM room and we discussed the possibility of Sketchmons LC. The general consesus was that it would be a solid OM, especially given the limited movepools of many LC Pokémon. I had a few matches, although sadly I don't have the replays to hand, and it was great fun (although Bunnelby's broken). So I think we should do Sketchmons LC for June's OM nomination, as standard Sketchmons has won before and it's been a while since we last had an LC OMotM (LC Extended was the last iirc).

Also some movesets:

Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Level: 5
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Return
- U-turn
- Superpower

Is your name Honedge? If not, you're not switching into this thing. Dragon Ascent has twice the power of Aerial Ace, and at worst 2HKOes anything not resisting it. Return hits Electric types, and doesn't have stat penatlies. U-turn lets you scout and grab momentum. Superpower hits the Rock and Steel types that resist your STABs. EVs maximise Speed and power.

Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Glare / Taunt

Standard Snivy, but now it can harm Steel types. Leaf Storm is basically a 130 BP STAB Nasty Plot; Overheat gets great coverage with it, hitting the Bug, Steel and opposing Grass types that resist it super effectively. Hidden Power Ice hits Dragon types, although it's mostly filler. Glare can be used to shut down faster attackers, while Taunt can shut down weak walls.

Omanyte @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Standard Shell Smash Omanyte, but now instead of having to choose between the shaky Hydro Pump or so-so powered Surf, you can use the mighty Steam Eruption!

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psycho Boost
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave / Encore / Psychic

Standard Abra, now with a way stronger STAB. Psycho Boost hits incredibly hard. Hidden Power Fighting hits Dark and Steel types. Energy Ball wrecks Chinchou; Dazzling Gleam could be used to wreck Scraggy and 2HKO Vullaby. Thunder Wave and Encore can be used to prevent Abra becoming set up fodder after Psycho Boost's drops, while Psychic can be used as a reliable STAB.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
It's a good set, although given which Hidden Power you choose determines what you lose to. If you pick Ground, you can't touch bulky Dragon types - if you pick Ice you can't touch Heatran.
Couldn't you still run Leaf Storm / Overheat / HP Ground / Dragon Pulse? Or am I missing something here?
Also, could V-create be viable as well, or does its low defences make this a far worse option?

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
V-Create Serperior is definitely a thing, yes. It's been brought up once or twice and is an excellent wincon (obviously requires stuff removed depending on the coverage move but yeah).

Couldn't you still run Leaf Storm / Overheat / HP Ground / Dragon Pulse? Or am I missing something here?
Also, could V-create be viable as well, or does its low defences make this a far worse option?
My bad, forgot about Dragon Pulse. Serperior is very solid in Sketchmons, as it gets to remedy its biggest flaw (imo): its small special movepool.

What would be some good moves for Volcarona to Sketch? Spore could put a would be counter out of commission, and no Grass type is going to switch in. Earth Power wrecks Heatran and Charizard-X; Secret Sword wrecks Chansey and Heatran, but loses on opposing Fire types.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
How about steam eruption?
Rock and Fire types go down instantly, while the chance to burn goes alongside its fire moves in hitting bug, grass, steel, ice and its bug buzz handles neutral coverage.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Couldn't you replace Starmie with Blastoise? origin pulse on its mega form mega launcher would be the equivalent of a rain dance or torrent boost. I say Blastoise in the event you need an Aquatic (Water) spinner who can still hit hard enough. Also you won't need to be locked into Specs or hit by Life orb (since your starmie is using Origin Pulse, I assume it is an offensive variant).

Give it Origin Pulse, Rapid Spin, Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse or Ice Beam.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
On a separate team: give pidgeot a hurricane, focus blast, tail glow, roost

Pidgeot has speed and accuracy. All it needs is some power. Roost is not so much to heal but to remove weaknesses.

I.e. You roost before you are hit with ice beam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)