Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
This question is about the viability rankings. Im confused as to what the purpose of that thread is. Whenever i read it, i see pointless arguments and condescending posts from good players. It gives the forums a bad vibe imo. It seems the changes in viability reflect high ladder/tournament usage, however ive heard the purpose of the thread is to inform newer players. I dont get it. Better players already know meta trends, and the rankings really dont match, or even matter so much in mid/lower ladder.

The vr seems to be full of more empty arguments than anything. I also think it greatly influences the use of only certain mons, and limits diversity in the metagame
The goal of the vr thread is indeed informing new users about the viable mons in the current meta and how viable they are compared to each other. It reflects high ladder and tournament play (mainly the latter) because thats where true competitiveness takes place (or at least as competitive as mons get lol) and therefore is a good source for current meta trends and mons viability. The arguments in the thread do matter when it comes to making decisions (or at least to an extent) but that doesnt mean every bad post is representative of the quality of the thread. You cant expect everyone to make flawless posts or the mods to delete every unpost. If the bad posting quality annoys you then you can choose to ignore them and just pay attention to vr updates or ignore the vr as a whole.
"Theres plenty of other threads that inform players and help them get better at the game." Such as? I personally find the vr to be the most helpful resource for new players and it was quite useful for me back when I was getting into mons and tried to learn about the meta. For newer players, a list of mons they can use effectively on the ladder is a huge help considering the other metagame related threads are Sample Teams, which dont tell you much about the metagame (it can give you an idea if the teams are updated tho) and lol the metagame thread which is a joke at this point bar a couple of posts.

This question is about the viability rankings. Im confused as to what the purpose of that thread is. Whenever i read it, i see pointless arguments and condescending posts from good players. It gives the forums a bad vibe imo. It seems the changes in viability reflect high ladder/tournament usage, however ive heard the purpose of the thread is to inform newer players. I dont get it. Better players already know meta trends, and the rankings really dont match, or even matter so much in mid/lower ladder.

Theres plenty of other threads that inform players and help them get better at the game. The vr seems to be full of more empty arguments than anything. I also think it greatly influences the use of only certain mons, and limits diversity in the metagame
Well, this is a new one. I smell a troll, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not trolling.

Based on your post, here's how I understood it. If I misunderstand you, please correct me.
- You say you don't know what the purpose of the VR is
- The VR is filled with toxicity
- Viability is based on higher ladder usage, but it's meant for newer players and is useless in low ladder
- Better players already know viability and "rankings don't match" (what does this mean?)
- There are other resources that players can use
- It influences what Pokémon get used in the meta, thus limiting diversity.

I'm somewhat baffled by these declarations, as they are either obvious or incorrect. I'll approach each point individually.
- Scarf Nihilego and Leo both excellently described the purpose of the VR – to inform people on what Pokémon are usable in the metagame
- You say the VR is filled with toxicity, but like I said earlier I haven't seen many cases of this. If you could provide an example that would be very helpful. As stated earlier, moderators redact toxic posts, which confuses me as to why you would say something like this.
- If better players already know viability, then why is this a bad thing? Also, "ranking's don't match" according to you. What does this mean? Do explain, it is vague.
- What are the other resources people can use as a replacement for the VR? Leo went over this, there aren't many options.
- "It [VR] influences what Pokémon get used in the meta, thus limiting diversity." This is blatantly untrue. If I put Pikachu at S+ rank, would that mean the meta would warp in Pikachu's favor?

Again, I'm not really sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that the moderators take down the VR? Or that the moderators start purging any post that is even subjectively offensive? What are you proposing?

Last edited:
Well, this is a new one.

From your post, I'm getting the impression that you're not very satisfied with the way the VR is going. You claim post toxicity is a reason for this, but the forum posters have actually been relatively well-behaved in the most recent threads, with no fighting to be reported, and any fighting that does occur is met with moderator intervention. I think the toxicity is at a very good level. If you could provide an example of toxicity, that would be better and would buy you more credibility.

You then say a bunch of stuff about the VR, like it's useless in low ladder when it's intended for new players, and that there are other resources. So what's your point? We take down the VR? We censor everyone? What's your point?

It's fine if you don't like the VR, but post constructive criticism plz, instead of just blindly pointing out what you perceive to be wrong. It's posts like yours that contribute to "toxicity" in the forums.
Im not calling anyone out for misbehaving. I guess i dont like the condescending vibes. Ya id be cool with it coming down, maybe wed see more diversity in teams

Regarding the recent viability rankings update, why was mega medicham dropped to B+? Nothing in the meta has really changed for it: it preforms fantastically in the offence-based meta and the drop was justified by saying

Am I missing something here, or is my preference for Medicham blinding my perception of the meta?
How does Medicham perform fantastically in the offense-based meta? My understanding of an "offense-based meta" is that there are a lot of fast mons (and Landog, of course), such as Greninja (Ash or not), Tapu Koko, and other quickmons. All of which outspeed and OHKO Mega Medicham. That is not a meta Medicham likes.

As such, I don't really know where you're coming from when you say Medicham "preforms fantastically in the offence-based meta."

Im not calling anyone out for misbehaving. I guess i dont like the condescending vibes. Ya id be cool with it coming down, maybe wed see more diversity in teams
Well, like Spohky said earlier, it'd be helpful if you could provide an example of "condescending vibes."

And it seems to me you want to see the VR get taken down. And to this I only have one question.

"Why?"

I’m kind of lost. I feel like I started something I didn’t intend to. I just wanted to know if Mega Medicham would work with Celestella/Toxapex/Clefable as a core. I apologize if it was a stupid question.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I’m kind of lost. I feel like I started something I didn’t intend to. I just wanted to know if Mega Medicham would work with Celestella/Toxapex/Clefable as a core. I apologize if it was a stupid question.
Yes, it would, although I'd add a Electric resist or immunity so that you don't get completely blown back by tapu Koko.

What would be some good cores featuring Kartana?
I actually dont know as i never used Kartana but Banded Ttar fits pretty well i think.
It wears down the opponents team and can get rid of Zapdos. Sandstorm doesnt damage Kartana and helps against M-Venusaur. Also Ttar kinda forces in Ferro which gives Kartana free setup.

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
What would be some good cores featuring Kartana?
Bandtar, Toxapex, and Mega Lopunny are all pretty common partners for Kartana, Bandtar traps zapper and latis, tha pex just gives u a great gren pivot in and scizor check, kartana breaks through a lot of mlop switch-ins and mlop in turn pressure the hell out of offensive teams that can outspeed sd kart, and kartana provides the early game breaking for mlop, especially with sub sd to just sub up freely on pex

Bandtar, Toxapex, and Mega Lopunny are all pretty common partners for Kartana, Bandtar traps zapper and latis, tha pex just gives u a great gren pivot in and scizor check, kartana breaks through a lot of mlop switch-ins and mlop in turn pressure the hell out of offensive teams that can outspeed sd kart, and kartana provides the early game breaking for mlop, especially with sub sd to just sub up freely on pex
Also, if Kartana is sub, Ash-Gren is cool, as Kartana is able to set itself up on any of Gren's counter, allowing him to help Gren to finish the game.

I feel like Grassium Z would be better, wouldn't it? Grassium Z has STAB, so it does more damage. Is there anything I'm missing?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Grassium Z would be better, wouldn't it? Grassium Z has STAB, so it does more damage. Is there anything I'm missing?
The other Z moves add power to its coverage moves which are pretty weak and fail to break as much without the extra buff. Grassium is fine too but that struggles to break through certain Steels like Steela Mega Sciz and Skarm, as well as Mega Venu and Tangrowth but it can nuke fat Lando-T, Pex, and Clef without really needing to setup so there's that too.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
What is Subswarm Volc? I really just don't get it or how it's good. Replays would be appreciated, thanks.
Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

The goal is to set up multiple boosts with sub aiding it in that. At +3 there's a chance it can kill Chansey. There's also I believe a chance to dispatch Pex. The sub can also help it vs scarf users, tho in general I'd just try and get rid of them before boosting. I'm pretty certain that if you look at Snake you should find some great replays of it in action.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

The goal is to set up multiple boosts with sub aiding it in that. At +3 there's a chance it can kill Chansey. There's also I believe a chance to dispatch Pex. The sub can also help it vs scarf users, tho in general I'd just try and get rid of them before boosting. I'm pretty certain that if you look at Snake you should find some great replays of it in action.
It OHKO's Pex at +2 :)
What is Subswarm Volc? I really just don't get it or how it's good. Replays would be appreciated, thanks.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/volcarona/

For this type of question just check Smogon's Pokedéx instead, I've linked the Volcarona analysis, but everytime you're curious about a Pokémon check there first :)

How good is Nidoking in the current metagame? On paper, it seems pretty decent. Typing lets it check Fairy's + Electrics and cancel T-Spikes, speed tier is good enough to outspeed and KO most of the walls in S through A- Rank, and its coverage gives it few safe switch-ins.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
How good is Nidoking in the current metagame? On paper, it seems pretty decent. Typing lets it check Fairy's + Electrics and cancel T-Spikes, speed tier is good enough to outspeed and KO most of the walls in S through A- Rank, and its coverage gives it few safe switch-ins.
Not all that great. That speed tier is still super slow, to the point where it combined with its questionable bulk makes it near deadweight vs offense. I mean, that bulk is just really that bad. It's just really easily revenged, it's just kinda outclassed by other balance breakers that are faster and have more utility vs offense. In addition, it's just not as ludicrously strong as some of the other breakers. It's not that bad but not good imo.

What are good teamates for Bandtar and mega venu? Preferably good balance pokemon. I really like the combination bc bandtar removes psychics and flyings that threaten mega venu, but im not really sure what else to add to the team. Thanks

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
What are good teamates for Bandtar and mega venu? Preferably good balance pokemon. I really like the combination bc bandtar removes psychics and flyings that threaten mega venu, but im not really sure what else to add to the team. Thanks
Try that good old Celesteela Pex core with Venu mega. It's great in this metagame.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
uh, Im not sure about those 2. First of all, Tyranitar isn't that good at dealing with Flying- and Psychic-types, as Landorus-T and Mega Pinsir can easily beat it, and Psychic-types have ways of dealing with it too (Moonblast from Lele, hjk from Medi, Focus Blast from Zam) bar like Latios. Moreover, Tyranitar's Sand Stream deters MVenu's Synthesis, its only way of recovery thus giving it a harder time dealing with threats. The core doesn't seem to acomplish much and has awkward synergy issues, instead I'd pair it with something like Celesteela that deals with those threats defensively and forms an amazing defensive core alongside MVenu.

uh, Im not sure about those 2. First of all, Tyranitar isn't that good at dealing with Flying- and Psychic-types, as Landorus-T and Mega Pinsir can easily beat it, and Psychic-types have ways of dealing with it too (Moonblast from Lele, hjk from Medi, Focus Blast from Zam) bar like Latios. Moreover, Tyranitar's Sand Stream deters MVenu's Synthesis, its only way of recovery thus giving it a harder time dealing with threats. The core doesn't seem to acomplish much and has awkward synergy issues, instead I'd pair it with something like Celesteela that deals with those threats defensively and forms an amazing defensive core alongside MVenu.
I didnt think about that and those are really good points. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)