Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

why hasn't normal blaziken been retested?
Likely because it's incredibly polarizing and VERY hard to stop. Fire/Fight STAB is very good—especially right now—and blaziken hits very very hard. I would imagine Blaziken/Dugtrio cores would be incredibly polarizing (even more dominant than CharY/Dug).

why hasn't normal blaziken been retested?
The two above basically cover why speed boost blaziken isnt ever gonna be OU, but if you meant in the case of normal, non-hidden ability blaziken, it hasn't been retested as smogon tends to stray away from complex bans. They prefer to ban pokemon whole rather than ones with specific abilities, largely to reduce confusion for newer players.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I read on the viability rankings that Infernape is appearantly really good in OU right now.

And if I am not mistaken, Speed Boost Blaziken is simply a better Infernape - not sure if broken but that sounds really brutal
Infernape is not THAT good, it's just an alright Scarfer for its ability to check a +1 Volcarona and Shift Gear Magearna in one slot, while also having U-turn.

Hey ! (first : sorry for my bad english)

I see a lot of tapu bulu + dugtrio in the same team (with charizard Y).
Is this not counterproductive for dugtrio (with tapubulu ability) ? Why is this "core" so popular ?

Thx

Hey ! (first : sorry for my bad english)

I see a lot of tapu bulu + dugtrio in the same team (with charizard Y).
Is this not counterproductive for dugtrio (with tapubulu ability) ? Why is this "core" so popular ?

Thx
I don't know if this core is popular, but it's not too counterproductive since Dugtrio's best set is Groundium Z, and Z-Earthquake ignores the damage reduction of Grassy Terrain. So you can still reliably trap the likes of Heatran, for instance.

My younger cousins (ages 12 and 14) really enjoy playing on Pokemon Showdown, but they kinda suck at making Pokemon. They often forget to assign held items and abilites, and don't seem to take stats into account when assigning moves (for example, Blizzard Rampardos). What are some good guides/resources I could send them that would help them make sets that don't suck?

My younger cousins (ages 12 and 14) really enjoy playing on Pokemon Showdown, but they kinda suck at making Pokemon. They often forget to assign held items and abilites, and don't seem to take stats into account when assigning moves (for example, Blizzard Rampardos). What are some good guides/resources I could send them that would help them make sets that don't suck?
I'd probly start someone new with the smogdex (http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/). That way they can just pick the pokemon that they like, look them up, and import a set that is guaranteed to at least be decent. Reading the descriptions will also introduce them to EVs and abilites and all that, within the context of the current meta, which should help illustrate the value of thinking about Evs etc.

NG Spencer

Banned deucer.
What would be some good teammates for Mega Diancie?
Good teammates would include bulu, heatran, ferrothorn, greninja, landorus, duggy and koko. Bulu helps by serving as a powerful wall breaker capable of weakening diancie answers such as celesteela and provides grassy terrain which slowly heals diancie and reduced eqs power. Most diancie counters such as venu, av gear, cele, tang and Chansey lose to heatran making it a good choice, just watch out for eq from tang and venu. Ferrothorn provides spikes and serves as a water resist. Protean greninja can lure various diancie counters with it's coverage (if ur heat try z dig gren + diancie, it lures in av gear so diancie can kill everything once it dies) and also provide spikes/tspikes support to wear down counters. Lando takes eqs, can set up rocks and break through the opponents team with sd, weakening/eliminating steela or tang for diancie. Duggy traps av gear and chansey (although don't make diancie ur only answer to stall since it's trapped by opposing duggy, unless you can get a crap ton of defense boosts under your belt, it'll die to z eq). Finally koko sets up electric terrain which allows diancie to nature power and 2hko steela bc it becomes tbolt.

Hello OU Forums! My name is Vegalius and I have a few questions pertain to the Overused Tier and become proficient in Competitive Pokemon.

First of all, I recently became interested in the OU Tier again after returning from playing the Ubers and Anything Goes tiers for roughly a year and a half. In all honesty, I'm I don't have any knowledge in regards to the current metagame. I wanting to understand how the metagame has evolved over the past year. If any, what Pokemon were banned from OU and why they were removed from the tier. Which archetypes are more efficient over the others? What is the ladder like? Information pertaining to my previous question and similar info would be much appreciated.

Also, what would be the best way to start learning and understanding the OU Tier? I would like to become one of the best players this site has seen.

Thanks!

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I was seeing recent update in viability rank and I need to ask... How does exactly Manaphy help with flying I don't get still why we're still calling it bird spam?

And how does a general flying spam team is composed? I'm guessing some things Like Autotomize Celesteela and Mega Pinsir, but I want to stay sure

I was seeing recent update in viability rank and I need to ask... How does exactly Manaphy help with flying I don't get still why we're still calling it bird spam?

And how does a general flying spam team is composed? I'm guessing some things Like Autotomize Celesteela and Mega Pinsir, but I want to stay sure
Birdspam in this gen is really just one team that has seen great success in OLT so far. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/olt-laddering-teams-from-1000-insert-number.3610784/
Look for the first team in the 1500-1700 section (made by xtrashine and Sabella). It can produce results on pretty much every part of the ladder bar the very top, so it's one of the fastest ways to breeze past low ladder for potential qualifiers.

Manaphy can take advantage of common flying/ physical attacker checks like Landorus-T, Skarmory, Mega Scizor, Ttar, Celesteela. It's a great balance breaker overall with Tail Glow + Waterium Z that support the "birds" of birdspam to sweep.

The name "birdspam" is a relic from gen 6 when spamming banded Brave Bird Talonflame was a thing.

Birdspam gen 7 uses Mega Pinsir and Flynium Z Dragonite as the bird core. The idea is that they are both strong physical attackers tht share common checks so "spamming" their attacks weaken the opposing defensive core enough to win.

Where can I post about the new USUM stuff that has been released recently? In regards to competitve discussion, that is. The thread on the Orange Isles seems to be more about general speculation.

Hello OU Forums! My name is Vegalius and I have a few questions pertain to the Overused Tier and become proficient in Competitive Pokemon.

First of all, I recently became interested in the OU Tier again after returning from playing the Ubers and Anything Goes tiers for roughly a year and a half. In all honesty, I'm I don't have any knowledge in regards to the current metagame. I wanting to understand how the metagame has evolved over the past year. If any, what Pokemon were banned from OU and why they were removed from the tier. Which archetypes are more efficient over the others? What is the ladder like? Information pertaining to my previous question and similar info would be much appreciated.

Also, what would be the best way to start learning and understanding the OU Tier? I would like to become one of the best players this site has seen.

Thanks!
Ok on the discussion on what Pokemon were banned from OU, recently we had Pheromosa, Mega Metagross and Marshadow. Pheromosa was because it could pick and choose it's counters based on its coverage options, could lure in Toxapex and kill it with +1 Z-Hyper Beam after Rocks and steamroll the entire team with Beast Boost. No other Pokemon is as good as Pheromosa doing this. It was a Mini Deoxys-A and was way too fast. It even had Ice Beam to deal with Landorus-Therian and it was paired with Lele to stop Priority. Mega Metagross was mainly because it was decently fast having a 110 speed tier and Mega Evolutions got an auto speed buff, nothing except Specs Ash-Greninja's Dark Pulse could knock it out at full (Volcarona's +1 Fire Blast did the job but you couldn't set up Volcarona and fight Mega Metagross at the same time) and it's coverage moves was strong enough to rip teams into shreds as they could benefit from Koko or Lele's terrain. Couple that with a great STAB in Meteor Mash + Tough Claws and it was hell to deal with it.

Marshadow is a fun one that could take a whole paragraph to explain but it's the worst of the 3 and got quickbanned in 2 days. First of all just like Pheromosa it had many different sets and could choose it's counters. The best counter it had was Toxapex but Toxapex didn't work because of it's infamous Bulk Up + SS7SS set which was a nuke to most Pokemon in the tier. There was also no Normal/Ghost typing as of yet to counter it and any Pokemon that was fast enough couldn't revenge kill it due to it's decent bulk as well as it's speed. Skarmory was also a good counter but it got 2HKO'd to the Banded CC set and got destroyed after Rocks to the Bulk Up + SS7SS combo. It also had access to Swagger + Spectral Thief. You've played Ubers so you should be familiar with Spectral Thief stealing boosts. With Swagger you get a +2 boost from Spectral Thief and now you can basically sweep if you have SS7SS to take care of Alomomola and Physical Defense Tangrowth (Keep in Mind if Tangrowth isn't Physically Defensive it loses to HP Ice as well). One little bit of info for Marshadow was that it's decently defensive enough to the point where the only thing OHKOing it at full was Scarf Lele's Psychic.

There was also Zygarde-Complete but that doesn't need explaining. It's the bulkiest Pokemon in the game besides Multiscale Lugia, it's not passive unlike Chansey and could set up over any non-Ice type with Coil.

Otherwise I'm not that good so I can't explain to you over everything else.

What would be some good teammates for this core?

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

What would be some good teammates for this core?

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
Something that's not made irrelevant by fast wisp mew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)