Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

How mandatory are u-turn/volt-switch users on balanced teams?
Not as mandatory as one would imagine. However, they are indeed highly recommended for a balanced team. If you're team is balanced, than one major threat in the meta can be dealt with by one Mon most of the time. If that Mon is done, what can you do in order to stop or? That's what makes fast (or bulky) Volt-Turners very useful. They can help get damage off and switch in your biggest defensive answer to the current Mon that's out. They give chip, switch a user out on what cvouldve been a dangerous situation, like if a volcarona just switched in on your M-Scizor, you could turn out of their into the likes of duggy, which handle and solve the problem.

Is it bad that im still real bad at team building after being here for a while because right now i exclusively use teams built by others???

Is it bad that im still real bad at team building after being here for a while because right now i exclusively use teams built by others???
It's not terrible. Typically if you're trying to get better at building it's best to take good teams and change them slightly to skew towards more relevant matchups like switching fly-z out for sd sr earth plate lando-t or reorganizing a full rain team (pel has damp rock, 2 SSers) to a more slim rain wallbreaking core (specs pel + 1 SSer + something like ash gren). Become ok with being pretty bad at building teams for a while; the only real way to get good is lots of practice.

What are some good set up sweepers that check can Ash-Greninja and can KO Mega Venusaur and Toxapex?

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground

at +1 volcarona can OHKO both pex and mega-venu with shattered psyche, although you could run bug buzz otherwise you will have a much more difficult time against ash-gren, but it's generally waste unless it serves a great purpose to the team ~

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground

at +1 volcarona can OHKO both pex and mega-venu with shattered psyche, although you could run bug buzz otherwise you will have a much more difficult time against ash-gren, but it's generally waste unless it serves a great purpose to the team ~
I should of specified this in my original post. I was asking cause I like to use unique gimmick teams such as for example Haken's Faster than Light team. My team is a dual weather team that has some issues with toxapex and Ash-Greninja. The rain part of that team would weaken Fire moves. Thanks for the help tho!

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
It's also worth noting Reun's TR prowess. If you put it on a dedicated team, it'll do pretty well. Mega Mawile notably takes care of Darks and the sort - it's a good partner outside of TR as well.

EDIT: I haven't kept up with the WCOP but I heard there might be a suspect after it. When does it end?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
What are some good partners for Toxapex + Celesteela + Clefable core?
First things that come to mind are some speed control, an electric check and something for stall. You also need some breaking power for opposing fat cores so probably mons like Mega Mawile, offensive Landorus-T (even scarf works for speed control and emergency elec check), Tapu Bulu, Scarf Lele, Camel (this mons legit good, beat opposing celepex cores and checks Koko) Scarf/ZMove Dug

Adding on to the above post:
- Zard Y + Dugtrio
- AV Tangrowth
- SR and/or SD + Z-Move Garchomp

All of Leo's recommendations are valid except I haven't seen Scarf Lele with CelePexClef like ever

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tbh it could just be meant to creep other defensive Lando-T. Modest Magearna is a really rare sight considering that OTR sets will usually run a -Spe nature or lower IVs, Shift Gear sets always run Timid, and AV sets tend to be the fat Calm variants now. Crawdaunt and Omastar are super rare sights in general, let alone +Spe ones.

There just isn't anything in particular that hovers in the 230s bar neutral natured base 70s, but those hit 239. Uninvested base 100s hit 236, but these Pokemon almost ALWAYS run some kind of Speed, and it's not like fat Lando-T will be able to touch most of these anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a weird benchmark to creep, I'm guessing either it was for a tour match vs a player known to use modest magearna/omastar/crawdaunt or just creeping other defensive lando

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)