Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Ok, I've been out of the loop for a while, just learned that baton pass was banned. With that said, does that mean Blaziken will have a shot of being suspected back into the tier? You could keep the mega banned just because how ridiculously strong and fast it is, but regular blaziken has a shot of being a great late game cleaner, and the abundance of fairies in the tier keep it checked.

Ok, I've been out of the loop for a while, just learned that baton pass was banned. With that said, does that mean Blaziken will have a shot of being suspected back into the tier? You could keep the mega banned just because how ridiculously strong and fast it is, but regular blaziken has a shot of being a great late game cleaner, and the abundance of fairies in the tier keep it checked.
Um:

Absurdly powerful (High Jump Kick and Flare Blitz are your main STABs FFS)

Fantastic offensive ability (+1 Blaziken hits a really good speed tier, and Protect only eases this)

Very few switchins, if any at all. (Your best bet is Ash Greninja with Water Shuriken)

I'm probably missing a few other things, but I definitely don't want this thing in OU. Neither should Darkrai, for that matter.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
It was the fact that Blaziken (both regular and mega) was a potent sweeper by itself due to Speed Boost and Swords Dance that made it broken, Baton Pass had really no effect on its ban (though I guess Baton Pass would be all the more reason to not allow it). Also Fire resists Fairy, so Fairy moves are neutral to it??? The only ones that can keep in check are Tapu Fini, Primarina, and Azumarill with Tapu Fini being kinda mediocre and the latter two being extremely niche.

Honestly Baton pass has little to do with Ban and more to do with its near perfect coverage which with speedboost as highlighted above makes it into a highly potent sweeper that can even break past stall. In addition its arguably more broken now then it was in last genoration thanks to the changes Sun and moon brought. While yes there are more fairies, The Nerfs to Talonflame, T-wave and priority have actually shrunk the pool of Answers. In addition the few mons like Ash gren, Azu, Clef, Toxapex or Zygarde who may have been able check it after speedboost + Swords dance get shut down by Tapu lele who is arguebly Blazikens Best partner.

Pretty Much if blaziken was in the tier you would need a team building constraining hard answer (Most of which fail to Lele) In the same way we did when Pheromosa walked amongst us or lose. Not a good thing for the tier

Hello, I semi getting back to OU. I just have a quick question, what are the most popular Scarf mons atm? Hopefully that answer will tell me which path I'm going to build a pokemon I want to try out on.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I semi getting back to OU. I just have a quick question, what are the most popular Scarf mons atm? Hopefully that answer will tell me which path I'm going to build a pokemon I want to try out on.
Keldeo, Tapu Lele, Greninja, and Garchomp are all pretty common scarfers.

Tapu Koko, Dugtrio, Latios, and Gengar also have viable scarf sets.

idk where to put this, but I was on the SM destiny bond dex page, and the description:
"Prevents anything from working on the user that turn."
is both vague and incorrect. Could probly just use the old description:
"If the user faints before using its next move, the attacker faints."
as it is correct.

idk where to put this, but I was on the SM destiny bond dex page, and the description:
"Prevents anything from working on the user that turn."
is both vague and incorrect. Could probly just use the old description:
"If the user faints before using its next move, the attacker faints."
as it is correct.
This is probably an editing error since Detect is immediately after Destiny Bond in the dex. More of a site-based question than one for OU so reporting it to one of the head mods is probably the best route to fix this.

Hey! I've been off from OU for a while, and i noticed the meta has changed a bit. Particulary, it caught my attention that mega t-tar is consired pretty viable, as opposed as it being subpar in gen 6. What changed now, in order to it being more appealing?

Hey! I've been off from OU for a while, and i noticed the meta has changed a bit. Particulary, it caught my attention that mega t-tar is consired pretty viable, as opposed as it being subpar in gen 6. What changed now, in order to it being more appealing?
one thing that stands out is mega lopunny isn't here yet. even at +1 megatar is outsped and ohkod by mlop, and mlop was very common last gen.
i'd say also fighting as a coverage type is less common this gen, with the addition of multiple top tier fairy types. Overall there's been some shift in types this gen. I won't pretend to know exactly how to quantify it, but like fire and poison and steel are better types than last gen, psychic is having a little comeback, dark and fighting are not as ubiquitous as last gen.
Megatar has the bulk to tank some common stuff in the meta, so at +1 it can often survive a faster mons hit and just keep going. or get +2 by tanking another hit.

I wasn't there during most of ORAS OU, so my knowledge of it isn't that high, but I've been hearing that a lot of people say that ORAS OU was like a r/p/s game, can anyone elaborate?

I'm aware this isn't related to "SUMO" OU but I'm pretty sure that the ORAS forums are pretty inactive compared to here so.

Last edited:
ORAS OU wasn't as rock paper scizzors as people made it sound, More it was just stable and unchanging compared to the somewhat evolving dynamic one we have in SUMO. Yeah match up was definatly an issue but I would argue that SUMO has even more match up issue's where in you lose your one form of counter play to a particular playstyle your screwed. Its just we dont have all the mega's yet, T-wave got nerfed and Z-moves help hide some of the issue's.

Back on ORAS The meta was more stable and stagnate especially after the Sableye ban that removed the need for a dedicated wallbreaker and was dominated by balance and Bulky offence. Mons like Lopunny, Diancie, Clefable, Landorous, Metagross, Normal Tyraniter and Talon as well as prioty spam, Dark spam, fairy spam and T-wave all demanded mandatory answers which lead to Monotonous team building to try and catch everything and by extension made you vulnerable to rare stuff like volcarona, megabro and hawlucha who exploited teams built to fight the meta. In many ways you did have to sometimes pick and choose what you lose to or just pray clefable could catch it. This combination is what led many to consider the meta so match up based.

Personally I prefer ORAS since its very stable, offers better speed control options then SUMO, has a strong universal check in clefable and places an emphasis on strong neutral attackers rather then Powerful super effective hits like we have now. Many tho prefer the more dynamic meta of SUMO tho

Last edited:
Hey, stupid question but I'm too lazy to investigate the forum for the appropriate place:

Is there a thread in which common arguments are discussed, things like the validity of invoking 4MSS and strengths of certain arguments? I would imagine it's probably somewhere in Policy Review, but since we no longer really have Victory Road, there isn't a quick spot for strong arguments.

If there's nothing like this, I'm interested in opening up a thread discussing common arguments and how to use them correctly in policy/viability decisions. Thanks all.

Best,

Sun King

Is there a thread where i can get started on building teams from scratch by myself?

E: also how do i put images under the posts i make here?

Is there a thread where i can get started on building teams from scratch by myself?

E: also how do i put images under the posts i make here?
Welcome to smogon! If you just want to build a team from scratch by yourself, you can always use the PS! teambuilder, which is really nice in that it'll tell you what's usable and usable and what's not, and it'll create an exportable which you can save. on the other hand, if you want to build a team and have it rated, judged, and improved, i would take a team and put it in the rate my team section here http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-ou-teams.409/
I would strongly recommend making a pastebin of it and putting it in the "Rate My team" section of PS before you do, and ladder up till you're about 1300-1600 so you know how everything's supposed to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)