Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Who are some of the best Stealth Rock users in OU, excluding any legendaries (I'm playing in a tournament that has them ALL banned)?
Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Clefable Smeargle works with Sticky Web, Terrakion, Mamoswine, Alolan Marowak, Mega Mawile, Dugtrio, Chansey, Nihilego (if you don't count it as a legendary), Skarmory, and Hippowdon just to name a few in subjective descending viability in setting rocks.

I still cannot decide on what nature/ability to run on garchomp, whether to use adamant or jolly with sand veil or rough skin. I am currently using a 6 iv adamant choice scarf rough skin garchomp for competitive play but I also have a 6 iv jolly sand veil gible which is meant to be a swords dance sweeper with a life orb. Are both combinations bad

I still cannot decide on what nature/ability to run on garchomp, whether to use adamant or jolly with sand veil or rough skin. I am currently using a 6 iv adamant choice scarf rough skin garchomp for competitive play but I also have a 6 iv jolly sand veil gible which is meant to be a swords dance sweeper with a life orb. Are both combinations bad
Rough Skin is the preferred ability as the chip damage can come in handy. Jolly is the preferred nature on any offensive Garchomp. Garchomp really appreciates the speed its gets from Jolly, since its lets it outspeed base 100 speed pokemon. Its also a great nature on the scarf set in order to outspeed a +1 Volcarona. The current combinations you have are slight off point, but close to what Garchomp usually runs. Since you seem to be referring to using them in-game, you can breed for them in game(or hack if youre ok with that). Since you already have 2 6 iv garchomps, one with Rough Skin and one with a Jolly Nature, it shouldn't be too tough to breed for a different one.

Hope this helps!

Rough Skin is the preferred ability as the chip damage can come in handy. Jolly is the preferred nature on any offensive Garchomp. Garchomp really appreciates the speed its gets from Jolly, since its lets it outspeed base 100 speed pokemon. Its also a great nature on the scarf set in order to outspeed a +1 Volcarona. The current combinations you have are slight off point, but close to what Garchomp usually runs. Since you seem to be referring to using them in-game, you can breed for them in game(or hack if youre ok with that). Since you already have 2 6 iv garchomps, one with Rough Skin and one with a Jolly Nature, it shouldn't be too tough to breed for a different one.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. I dont know if sand veil was banned in ou for 7th gen but I always thought though that adamant was the preferred garchomp nature on the scarf set and jolly for everything else, and sand veil for the ability if it was going to be on a sandstorm team/paired with tyranitar or hippowdon (rough skin otherwise), but I will still breed for a 6 iv jolly rough skin gible

Thanks. I dont know if sand veil was banned in ou for 7th gen but I always thought though that adamant was the preferred garchomp nature on the scarf set and jolly for everything else, and sand veil for the ability if it was going to be on a sandstorm team/paired with tyranitar or hippowdon (rough skin otherwise), but I will still breed for a 6 iv jolly rough skin gible
Sand veil is probably an okay choice for a sand team, but sand teams aren't great rn and even then I'd argue that rough skin is better. And most everything runs +Spe these days, especially choice scarfers.

I understand your confusion. If I had 2 6 iv garchomps I probably would've asked a similar question. On sand teams I think Adament Mega Garchomp is pretty commom as Mega-Garchomp's ability, Sand Force lets it function as a wallbreaker if sand is up. Although I'm not too familiar with Sand teams, so maybe ask someone else.

Is Thunderbolt an ok substitute for Discharge on Zapdos for more power or is the bigger paralysis chance on Discharge more important?

Is Thunderbolt an ok substitute for Discharge on Zapdos for more power or is the bigger paralysis chance on Discharge more important?
Heres a quote from the Zapdos page on the strategy index
"Running Thunderbolt for more damage on the physically defensive set is an option, although you would then want to run 68 Special Attack EVs in order to OHKO Mega Pinsir, which can cut into Zapdos's bulk, making this a less appealing option."
It is a decent option though and can work.

I understand your confusion. If I had 2 6 iv garchomps I probably would've asked a similar question. On sand teams I think Adament Mega Garchomp is pretty commom as Mega-Garchomp's ability, Sand Force lets it function as a wallbreaker if sand is up. Although I'm not too familiar with Sand teams, so maybe ask someone else.
Is it okay to have a choice band set? I know that jolly is the preferred nature and I just hatched a 6 iv male jolly rough skin gible and am unsure of what set to use because my adamant rough skin one is the scarf set and my jolly sand veil one is the swords dance sweeper. I am trying to think of another set for this jolly rough skin 6 iv gible I just got (which is now my THIRD male 6 iv gible and I have hatched/received over 60 6 iv pokemon in total). All my 6 iv gible/garchomp were male so I used the 6 iv jolly sand veil one with a 5 iv adamant rough skin one to end up with the intended result.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is it okay to have a choice band set? I know that jolly is the preferred nature and I just hatched a 6 iv male jolly rough skin gible and am unsure of what set to use because my adamant rough skin one is the scarf set and my jolly sand veil one is the swords dance sweeper. I am trying to think of another set for this jolly rough skin 6 iv gible I just got (which is now my THIRD male 6 iv gible and I have hatched/received over 60 6 iv pokemon in total). All my 6 iv gible/garchomp were male so I used the 6 iv jolly sand veil one with a 5 iv adamant rough skin one to end up with the intended result.
Choice Band isn't that good because you're either locking yourself into Earthquake inviting any Flying-type in or locking yourself into Outrage inviting any Fairy-type in. Its stabs aren't spammable enough to warrant a choiced set, hence the drop in usage of Scarf Chomp as of late

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Are there any viable setters of Sticky Web apart from Smeargle?
Shuckle is the only one that comes to mind, ben gay used it on a webs team you can find in his archive, theres also reasoning as to why he used shuck>smeargle. Theres a njnp team with webs leavanny but it doesnt get rocks so its probs not as good

Are there any viable setters of Sticky Web apart from Smeargle?
Shuckle can be used due to having sturdy allowing it to hold a mental herb, thus guaranteeing webs as long as your opp doesn't have magic coat/bounce. Having rocks as well sets it apart from other setters not called Smeargle. Utility in Encore can allow you to take advantage of hazard removers too, and in theory, its bulk allows you to set up webs multiple times a game (but generally its better to sack Shuckle due to wanting to keep up momentum.

Poor speed hinders it as Encore becomes a prediction based move and could result in you not getting up both hazards or being set up on.

Edit: Ninjaed

Thanks. So not many options then.

Galvantula with focus Sash not worth it I guess. It can set Web up and try and spam Thunder, but it's basically a suicide lead

People, why Pin Missile is listed as "useless moves" on Heracross? I get that in any other case, it's a terrible move, but in Mega Heracross, it's his strongest attack. IT should be listed among the regular moves...

Also, what could be a good spread for this Marowak?

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: (???)
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bonemerang

IT is supposed to work as an emergency pivot and cleaner, and lure in things like Zygarde for a WoW. I have Trick Room (Magearna) and Wish (Chansey) support, and Mega Heracross for stallbreaking, which is why Swords Dance is not present.

Last edited:
People, why Pin Missile is listed as "useless moves" on Heracross? I get that in any other case, it's a terrible move, but in Mega Heracross, it's his strongest attack. IT should be listed among the regular moves...

Brave Nature
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bonemerang

IT is supposed to work as an emergency pivot and cleaner, and lure in things like Zygarde for a WoW. I have Trick Room (Magearna) and Wish (Chansey) support, and Mega Heracross for stallbreaking, which is why Swords Dance is not present.
No comment on EVs because I always steal my spreads, but I've never heard that about pin missile. I mean, bug moves are p bad due to bug being a horrible offensive type but I've always run pin missile and so have most of my opponents.

Brave Nature
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bonemerang

No comment on EVs but I have an answer to the first question. If you mean on showdown, that's because whether a move is or isn't listed in useless moves or not has nothing to do with that moves viability on that pokemon. I'm pretty sure it's based on how good move is in general. For example, Pin Missile is great on Mega Heracross, but it's awful on everything else so it stays in the useless move section of the move selection screen. The same goes vice versa. For example, Mewtwo has Psyshock listed in the useful moves section even though there's no reason to ever use it over Psystrike. Since it's good on most other Psychic-types its still remains in Mewtwo's useful moves section.

Not the right thread to suggest a change on this, but Showdown's move categories don't take individual cases into account.

A while back I asked if their was a gen7 version of this http://sweepercalc.com/rmt/
Forum user dk mentioned how him and Orda-Y were working on something similar. Does anyone have a progress update?
nope.

some other user asked if he could take over and something by the way, which i believe the mod team would not want since the actual information related part of the project is almost entirely done (i still need to implement mega heracross). orda is working on some interface relating coding business but once that's done it should be out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)