Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If I use Ghostium Z with Hex, does the Z Move deal more damage against status'd foes? If not is it still reasonably viable?
No, attacking Z-Moves in general don't keep the effects of their base moves; for example, Z-Quick Attack is not a priority move. Z-Hex is still reasonably viable since it has the same BP as Z-Shadow Ball, giving the mon a powerful nuke to use when it can't guarantee the status power boost for Hex.

Hi, out of curiosity: on what criteria does one unban a pokemon of Uber (banned for one generation and retest the next gen)? For example in Gen 6, we had:
* quickbans: Deoxys-N, Blaziken, Gengarite, Kangaskhanite and Salamencite
* suspect-test: Lucarionite, Genesect, Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D, Aegislash, Mawilite, Greninja, Landorus-I, Shadow Tag, Hoopa-U and Sablenite (I do not count Metagrossite)

It seems to me that Darkrai, Shaymin-S and Deoxys-A were very briefly in OU during BW (it's more for the anecdote)

The unbans in Gen 7 are: Greninja, Hoopa-U, Mawilite, Sablenite, Genesect, Aegislash and Landorus-I (the last three are returned in Uber). It is understandable that those are the pokes that have been the subject of a past suspect who can return to OU. So, why not retest Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D and Shadow Tag in Gen 7 (Lucarionite is less obvious)?

Aegislash is the only one in Gen 6 who returned to OU the time of a suspect (in May 2015). On what criteria? Can we imagine a retest of Metagrossite or Pheromosa (for example) in one or two years?

If we look at Gen 8, we can reasonably imagine the return of Gsect, Lando-I, Aegi or Deoxys? It's just once again out of curiosity
I did not get an answer for my post (the two main questions are in bold)

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really want to know how a Gliscor can be an A- rank in OU but still only be in the UU tier.
Moved this from the VR to the proper thread, sqsa. Reposting Altervisi's answer:
This is a post for the simple questions thread, and its because the tier are seperated by how much pokemon are used, not by how good they are (unless something is banned for being too strong, where it will go to something like BL or Ubers depending on where it is banned from).

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
What is the importance of speed tiers, and why do people hate the idea of an auto trick room ability?
Do you mean the speed tiers resource? In that case it's basically a good resource you can use when trying to EV a certain mon to creep other meta relevant threats, it has other uses like checking how much Speed x mon hits after a dd but that's what I use it for for the most part. Also idk what you mean by that last question or why you're assuming people hate the idea of an ability that doesn't exist (?

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Just echoing Leo 's answer, but I wanted to add that people are in the OU Forum to discuss the metagame as it currently stands. Theorymonning an auto Trick Room ability is of no practical use to anyone and has no significance or consequence to the current state of the metagame.

With the evolution of meta, and trending shit like AV bulu and kartana, do you think M-Houndoom could have a Small niche?
It can put good work against tpex at +2 with dark pulse, dealing almost 70%, meaning the tpex player can can get flinched, and having to decide if recover or haze, can run at least 3-4 HP to select its checks and counters like ice for Lando/zyg, ground for heatran, fighting for ttar/tran and Even grass for gastrodon, while having taunt for annoy more balance and some stall builds. It still have flaws, but can somewhat fixed with partners, and it's facing strong competition for offensive fire type with blacephalon, Charizard and another shit, but having nasty plot and superior speed may give it a Small niche. Any thoughts?

With the evolution of meta, and trending shit like AV bulu and kartana, do you think M-Houndoom could have a Small niche?
It can put good work against tpex at +2 with dark pulse, dealing almost 70%, meaning the tpex player can can get flinched, and having to decide if recover or haze, can run at least 3-4 HP to select its checks and counters like ice for Lando/zyg, ground for heatran, fighting for ttar/tran and Even grass for gastrodon, while having taunt for annoy more balance and some stall builds. It still have flaws, but can somewhat fixed with partners, and it's facing strong competition for offensive fire type with blacephalon, Charizard and another shit, but having nasty plot and superior speed may give it a Small niche. Any thoughts?
Remember Toxapex has Regenerator so even though you're doing a good chunk Houndoom isn't really good on it's merit vs Toxapex, also most Pex builds run full special D and well...

+4 252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 232-274 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, even at 2 Nasty Plots you're not killing this thing.

It also only does around 50% to AV Magearna, who threatens with Fleur Cannon, SpDef Heatran only takes 30% from Dark Pulse and can swap into the Fire attacks for a boost.

Also Houndoom requires your mega slot, which Volcarona doesnt, and after 1 Quiver Dance it out speeds Houndoom and can also hold Psychium Z or a variety of other items. Also you can only run one Hidden Power per set and each type only checks so few things, plus at 60 BP you can't even kill Zygarde without a boost with Ice, who can OHKO you with Thousand Arrows in return.

It's weakness to hazards is pretty detrimental in the current meta, particularly rocks. Also it is threatened by offensive threats like Greninja, Scarf Kartana OHKO's after rocks with Sacred Sword, Koko has 99.3% chance to OHKO with TBolt Specs and Hawlucha is very common at the moment as well as Lopunny.

I really want to get into teambuilding and post an RMT but I find it hard to make something effective without being completely generic, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend an underused/underrated mon that I could build a decent OU team around? I'd like something a little different, thats not totally unviable lol (1600 ELO).

Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I really want to get into teambuilding and post an RMT but I find it hard to make something effective without being completely generic, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend an underused/underrated mon that I could build a decent OU team around? I'd like something a little different, thats not totally unviable lol (1600 ELO).
I guess I'll suggest a few things I would build around that aren't super good but still work to an extent

-M.Diancie
-M. Altaria
-Suicune + Z-lure Nihilego
-M. Garchomp
-M. Camerupt on non TR
-Z-Salamence
-Thundurus-T
-Banded Terrakion
-Qwilfish

Sorry if you don't like any of these

I guess I'll suggest a few things I would build around that aren't super good but still work to an extent

-M.Diancie
-M. Altaria
-Suicune + Z-lure Nihilego
-M. Garchomp
-M. Camerupt on non TR
-Z-Salamence
-Thundurus-T
-Banded Terrakion
-Qwilfish

Sorry if you don't like any of these
Adding to these, things I thought:
Crawdaunt
-Gallade-Mega
Venusaur
Excadrill
Aurora veil
Heracross-M
Victini

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
For all this talk about Tornadus-T, could someone show me sample sets that are being used rn? I think the fly-z one that is on smogon is only one of the few sets, I'd like to see all the ones that are popular, as I am looking for a defog pivot but don't necessarily want it to hold my Z-move spot.

For all this talk about Tornadus-T, could someone show me sample sets that are being used rn? I think the fly-z one that is on smogon is only one of the few sets, I'd like to see all the ones that are popular, as I am looking for a defog pivot but don't necessarily want it to hold my Z-move spot.
Then lo is ur best bet

What are mons that synergize with Mega Latios beside Blacephalon? Trying to find a good offensive core with mega latios running Draco/psychic/recover/eq

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
What are mons that synergize with Mega Latios beside Blacephalon? Trying to find a good offensive core with mega latios running Draco/psychic/recover/eq
http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/latios/

See team options in the Mega Latios section. Magnezone helps remove Steel-types like Ferro & Celesteela that don’t really care about any of its moves, while other options like Kartana & Tapu Lele appreciate the Pokemon that Mega Latios weakens, for example.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
non-HP Ground Volcarona (especially Z Psychic sets with Bug Buzz and Fire Blast) as it can lure and chip/kill Heatran and Tyranitar for that variant of Volcarona stands out to me. However, some other Pokemon include Scarf Tapu Lele, Toxapex (gets trapped by Magma Tran pretty often, but doesn’t always fit on M-Lati teams), and even other stray Psychic types like Hoopa or Reuniclus who want to abuse Tyranitar being lured.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)