Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
Inadvertently found my first of Gen VII today, a shiny Exeggcute found while I was trying to get Castform to appear on Exeggutor Island. Adamant with garbage IVs.

Found a Shiny Zigzagoon while DexNav chaining for Joltik (darn chain broke). I had my Slaking out so I switched to Breloom to False Swipe it to catch it. On the switch-in turn it did Growl or something, so I got a free switch. I Spored it, then used False Swipe. The Zigzagoon wakes up on the first turn and uses Tackle. Effect Spore kicks in with poison. Nothing I could do. FML.

Found a shiny Poliwag while looking for Psyduck to EV train at Brooklet Hill. I wasn't looking at my 3DS and only heard the shiny sound, legit couldn't even tell the difference and would've killed it or ran otherwise. Less than 24 hours, found a shiny Golduck on Poni Island (the bit before Battle Tree) while training to level up mons to complete my dex. I was lucky that I had both my TWave mon (Vikavolt) and False Swipe mon (Absol) both times.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Found a Shiny Zigzagoon while DexNav chaining for Joltik (darn chain broke). I had my Slaking out so I switched to Breloom to False Swipe it to catch it. On the switch-in turn it did Growl or something, so I got a free switch. I Spored it, then used False Swipe. The Zigzagoon wakes up on the first turn and uses Tackle. Effect Spore kicks in with poison. Nothing I could do. FML.
With Zigzagoon's catch rate being so high (255), and at 1 HP, I think it would have been a guaranteed capture with almost any ball, even without status. If you hadn't insisted on Spore, you would probably have caught it by chucking a Poké Ball at it.

Chain fishing has made a lot of shiny water Pokémon worthless. I never thought I would have a shiny Feebas before gen 6 but now I have them to hand out like candy. Yet to find a shiny Pokémon in SM, but I don't have my breeding Ditto's or destiny knot yet, and I am at the point where random nature randon IV shinies don't excite me anymore.

With Zigzagoon's catch rate being so high (255), and at 1 HP, I think it would have been a guaranteed capture with almost any ball, even without status. If you hadn't insisted on Spore, you would probably have caught it by chucking a Poké Ball at it.
Yeah, that was the part that I was beating myself up over - I probably didn't need to even Spore it with Ultra Balls in my bag. No idea why I brain farted and tried to FS it.

And it's also my first shiny that I didn't catch since 2013. I went three full years and encountered 6 shinies before not catching one.

Last edited:
Welp, so far today (like the last 6 hours or so), I found THREE shinies in the wild. I was just walking around Malie Garden trying to find the Eeveeolution trainers without even talking with the guy and I found a shiny Araquanid. I caught it in one Quick Ball. Then, I was just raising up my in-game team since I wanted them to reach level 100 while I cannot (or really do not want to) start competitive breeding right now and I found and caught a Shiny Gumshoo and Shiny Pelipper.

So, I currently have 5 shinies in Gen VII: Lillipup and Drampa from a Moon playthrough and Araquanid, Gumshoo, and Pelipper from my Sun playthrough.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I'm currently going through the Thrifty Megamart post-trial to find and catch a Mimikyu, and I ended up running into a Shiny Golbat. I caught it in a Heal Ball to have it battle-ready for my team, plus it matches Shiny Crobat design-wise. Its nature (Careful) isn't terrible either, so I'm happy with that. A nice little Christmas gift if I say so myself. :)

Still haven't found that Mimikyu btw. This game loves spamming me with Klefki.

Eh... I did some wondertrade this holiday. I thought little children love Eevee so I sent some I have bred to try brightening some children's day in Xmas (regretfully couldn't attach a good item for them children....)

... and somehow I got a shiny Rowlet landing on me in the middle. Looks like karma may be sometimes kind.

Last edited:
So I was breeding with a 4IV special and a 5IV physical parent to get a 5IV special Cutiefly and this happened:

(Timid; Shield Dust; Baton Pass/Bestow/Moonblast/Speed Swap)
No Masuda, no RNG, no TSV, no cheating with flawless made-up Dittos, just the Shiny Charm and I guess an obscene amount of luck (seriously it's like ~1/291000).

Looking back, I remember one of my first ever encounters in my first ever Pokemon game "looking different." Me, being the idiot I was, decided not to catch it.

sigh

So I was breeding with a 4IV special and a 5IV physical parent to get a 5IV special Cutiefly and this happened:

(Timid; Shield Dust; Baton Pass/Bestow/Moonblast/Speed Swap)
No Masuda, no RNG, no TSV, no cheating with flawless made-up Dittos, just the Shiny Charm and I guess an obscene amount of luck (seriously it's like ~1/291000).
Oh wow. That makes the shiny Geodude I caught in a Quick Ball before it exploded look small in comparison.

my favourite... going for Azelf, take my Abra (modest) go for a soft reset on it, First battle, it is shiny, and Modest.
There was also my shiny Lickitung i got while chaining once, it broke my chain but was worth it.

First shiny I ever found was a Zubat in Zubat Altering Cave in Emerald. Because I didn't know the cave was actually good for nothing, I had been bumping into things, messing around, pushing buttons trying to figure out the secret to it. Out pops a shiny and I think I actually DID break the game; I promptly killed it and left the cave, hoping my save would be OK.

A while later, I find a shiny Wurmple on Route 2 in RSE. Thinking the worst, I almost have my Salamence incinerate it with hyper beam, but I stop because I see it actually has a shiny animation; it can't be a bug if it is seemingly intentional. That was one lucky Wurmple.

In ORAS, hearing about how great this "Dexnav" was, I tried to chain for a shiny linoone to lead my pickup brigade. Took around ~70, but I found it. Also went for a shiny Zorua just because it's a relative's favorite Pokemon. Took a while longer, but I got it.

Other than that, I bred for a competitive Timid shiny Gastly in ORAS w/ egg moves. Of course, it ends up being 4v when coming from two 5v parents and ends up with a terrible special attack. That's one that can be redeemed by Hyper Training, at least. Additionally, I was starting a breeding project for a 5v ZardX Charmander, and of course get a shiny when changing parents for IVS. Because I checked, Dragon Dance was overwritten on one parent for Scary Face.

I ragequit that project.

Last edited:
I spent about 5 years of on/off playing SS to try and SR for a shiny Rayquaza. I was sitting at my desk on home at my laptop, with my other hand just clicking the DS buttons. Imagine my surprise at glancing over at the screen to see that glorious black dragon. I nearly cried.

A few minutes ago, I was looking for a Kangaskhan on GTS and this was the first result. They wanted an Electivire. I said FUCK IT THIS IS BETTER and nabbed it straight away.

Jesus Christ, within the space of an hour I just got this on Wonder Trade.

The first shiny I have gotten myself in Gen 7, say hello to Bwgan!

(Bwgan is the Welsh word for ghost, cause I'm Welsh and stuff)

MOD EDIT: Merged quadruple post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up Gurren Swagann , if you have more to say just edit your first post. I know you're new, but one of the rules around here is no double posting, and seeing a quadruple post like this is really going to tick the mods off.

So far no shinies yet for me in Sun/Moon, save for some hacked ones coming in from the wonder trade. But I did get a pretty sweet black and gold Bewear named Finn (after Finn the Human from Adventure time, I guess because of the hat) which was pretty cool.

Just a heads up Gurren Swagann , if you have more to say just edit your first post. I know you're new, but one of the rules around here is no double posting, and seeing a quadruple post like this is really going to tick the mods off.

So far no shinies yet for me in Sun/Moon, save for some hacked ones coming in from the wonder trade. But I did get a pretty sweet black and gold Bewear named Finn (after Finn the Human from Adventure time, I guess because of the hat) which was pretty cool.
Alright sorry about that, will do that from now on

A few.

I mostly stumble upon them; nothing all too interesting. I found a shiny Roselia in the Trophy Garden a long time back in Pearl. Caught that thing.
I started White 2 and then all of a sudden it turned out I had a shiny Snivy
Then I played Alpha Sapphire and even though all I was searching for was a female Ralts with Trace, I got a shiny female Ralts with Trace instead.

Other than that, Sun has given me the craziest shinies.

I start playing and find a shiny Alolan Rattata, which sucks cause I can't do anything with it.
I also hatched a shiny Alolan Grimer, but since the parent didn't have an Everstone, it got stuck with a shit nature. Can't do anything with it either.
Then, I was WT'd a shiny Gumshoos in a Beast Ball named MrPresident and it had a Toxic Orb. The moveset was Toxic, Echoed Voice, Frustration, and Pursuit.

I have yet to experience getting another really cool shiny. The other day I did catch a Red Gyarados. Again.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Then, I was WT'd a shiny Gumshoos in a Beast Ball named MrPresident and it had a Toxic Orb. The moveset was Toxic, Echoed Voice, Frustration, and Pursuit.
Probably hacked by a Russian, but still funny. At least it goes beyond the usual "Gumshoos looks like Trump" joke. What's it Nature & Ability? For Nature I'm guessing either Naughty, Timid, Hasty, Naive (my bet), or Rash. As for Ability, well either Stakeout or Strong Jaw will be accurate, but I'm going to say Strong Jaw.

Last edited:
Probably hacked by a Russian, but still funny. At least it goes beyond the usual "Gumshoos looks like Trump" joke. What's it Nature & Ability? For Nature I'm guessing either Naughty, Timid, Hasty, Naive (my bet), or Rash. As for Ability, well either Stakeout or Strong Jaw will be accurate, but I'm going to say Strong Jaw.
I believe it was Adamant, it had Strong Jaw

I'm breeding Contrary Snivy in Friend Balls with HP Fire, Ground and Rock and I've hatched three shinies in a couple hundred eggs. Every goddamn one Overgrow.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
About a week ago, I restarted my Heart Gold save and RNG abused my ID/SID for a shiny Cute Charm spread for the lulz. For those who aren't aware, wild Pokemon synced by Cute Charm in Gen IV have very small personality values that are grouped together, which makes encountering shinies with Cute Charm extremely frequent with the right ID/SID combination (I think the odds are roughly 1/20, or some insane number like that).

Anyway, I just defeated Morty and picked up the Good Rod from Olivine. I decided I wanted to backtrack and catch a Qwilfish to use on my ingame team. Unfortunately, since swarms are locked until the national dex, Qwilfish has a low encounter rate of 2% with the Good Rod.

After about 30 minutes of Magikarp and Tentacool, I finally hook a Qwilfish that just so happened to be purple and sparkly. I didn't really give it any thought at first....until I realized my lead mon was my Scyther, and my CC Jigglypuff wasn't even in my party.

So long story short, I found a random shiny of a Pokemon that only has roughly a 2% encounter rate (and it's one of my favorite Pokemon to boot). What are the odds of that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)