Other Semi Finals Grass Monotype Team

I've always wanted to share my favorite team of my favorite type, grass has a lot of high tier pokemon that i wanted to utilize and include into this team

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb​
Pretty standard Breloom set here, you can choose whether or not you want to lead spore with it, but on the whole an amazing pokemon, the stab technician boosted mach punch is fatal to most pokemon weak against it and bullet seed just adds to its coverage where as rock tomb is blatent coverage on brelooms part and it can deal with some pretty pesky flying types with ease aswell as being faster than most slow pokemon that just try to wall

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Shiftry is a hidden jewel among grass pokemon, swords dance is an easy set up move which can be used as the enemies are trying to stall behind their calm mind slowbros and what not, sucker punch provides amazing priority being one of (if not the best) dark type moves available including leaf blade which is one of the only physical grass moves available with decent damage

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
Ahhh, Mega sceptile, this monster is absolutely astonishing with its power, 427 spa is nothing to laugh at and with a base 145 speed, it makes it one of the most powerful sweepers available. Coupled with moves such as giga Drain for stab grass damage and restoration aswell as dragon pulse for dual stab. Focus blast is just for type coverage and because this pokemon is one of the fastest pokemon of its kind, HP Ice can OHKO flying type threats like Lando easily.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Serperior... I have no words to describe what this thing can do... Step 1) Substitute on a staller such as Sableye, 2) proceed to leaf storm. 3) Sweep team. Done and dusted. HP Fire can destroy anything thats even remotely weak against fire with that insane contrary boost.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

The latest addition of my team, many people in the comments tried to persuade me to swap out my previous member (Roserade) with this and i'm happy to say, its genuinely working. Its fantastic as just plain crippling the opponents team with encore + stun spore aswell as moonblast for extra coverage and U-Turn to back out of hefty situations when needed

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 124 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
Ferrothorn is my main lead most of the time, the pure bulk of this thing is unreal, the ability to be able to set up Stealth Rocks and Spikes at the same time can seriously put a hole in my opponents team. Leech seed provides fatal recovery and its already gaining health from leftovers in the first place making an already bulky pokemon into a wall of spikes. Gyro ball catches many speedy pokemon and has a chance of soloing a team if the opponent is fast and can't overcome it.

INSERT THREAT LIST HERE
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Last edited:
This team has good potential to be a great team. I have some suggestion though.

Breloom: Breloom is the LAST Pokemon you want to use as a flying type check, so get rid of Rock Tomb and replace it with Bullet Seed. The instant you see a flying type come out against Breloom, Mach Punch if he's at +2 and if not, get him the hell out of there.

Shiftry: He's looking fine.

Mega Sceptile: This guy looks pretty good, but I do have one big thing. GET RID OF PROTECT. He does not have Leftovers or a status afflicting move like Toxic, so Protect is 100% useless, especially since he's meant to be a sweeper. Instead, replace it with Hidden Power Ice for checking flying types, and other grasses.

Serperior: My main concern here is that she is basically the same thing as Sceptile. She has a very similar moveset that adds little to coverage. My suggestion is making her a bulky sweeper:

Serperior @ Leftovers

EVs: 200 HP / 52 SpA / 252 D or 252 SpD (with remaining 4 in whatever's left)
Bold/Calm Nature

- Protect/Substitute

- Leaf Storm

- Toxic

- Leech Seed/Hidden Power Fire

This will allow her to status the opponent to hell with Toxic (and Leech Seed, if you want) while still getting crazy power with Leaf Storm, and Hidden Power Fire can still be in her moveset if you want to, for coverage. If you go with Substitute, definitely also go with Leech Seed though so she can recover the HP she loses.

Roserade: She looks nice. Good check for your weaknesses, useful for revenge killing. Good job :)

Ferrothorn: Looks fine, but you might want to expirament with switching S Rock with Protect. If he has Leftovers and Leech Seed going, that's a good chunk of HP being recovered without him being damaged. Also I'd say that you should put a bit more EVs into Special Defense so it prompts physical attacks more.

This is a really nice team, though. Hope to see it around!

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to have to disagree with basically everything the above poster said(no offense). This is a pretty cool team, and not very standard by utilizing Mega Sceptile, so kudos for that. Scarf Roserade is pretty sick as well.

First off, Swords Dance isn't really needed on Breloom as much as a secondary STAB move is, so I suggest Bullet Seed > Swords Dance.

I'd actually suggest changing Serperior to Cradily, which can allow you to take on Fire-types better, especially Charizard, while Serperior isn't really that amazing on this team.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Rock Slide

With the above change, I'd suggest Spikes > Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn, which can form a nifty hazard core between the two, and can help Breloom and Shiftry to clean.

On Roserade, I'd suggest Hidden Power Fire > Shadow Ball, to able to take on Steel-types such as Skarmory much easier, while Shadow Ball isn't really doing that much for the team as is. Hidden Power Rock could also be used for Charizard and Volcarona.

tl;dr
Bullet Seed - > Swords Dance
- >

Stealth Rock - > Spikes
Shadow Ball - > Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, yay for grass users they are rare nowadays. Couple suggestions.

1) Spikes > Thunder Wave on Ferro. Running twave and gyro on the same set is just kinda counterproductive, and stacking hazards can be really useful.

2) Whimsicott > Roserade is honestly a GREAT switch, imo. The biggest reason: Without this switch, you might as well click X against mega medi. It just kinda wins. It's also great utility, lets say for prankster encoring Hawlucha into SD, or sub so your team isn't steamrolled by it.
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore / Tailwind
- Moonblast
- U-turn

This thing just provides so much support it's ridiculous. Moonblast is to give you an edge on fighting monos, uturn is for momentum, encore is to annoy everyone and give free turns. You have a choice of either form of speed control, Stun Spore is my preference based on your team but hey Tailwind is an option.

3) Agreeing with Twix. Bullet Seed > SD on loom.

4) I kinda disagree with switching to Cradily. Serp is a great late game cleaner and obviously good for momentum. Yes Cradily is almost 100% required for dealing with Fire monos, but at this point you aren't running mvenu (thick fat the god) either and you're realistically going to lose to any good fire mono anyways. I don't think it is worth the switch. Especially because Fire is a relatively uncommon type.

5) I'd agree with dropping Protect in favor of either Leaf Storm or HP Ice, up to you. They offer much needed coverage though.

That's all I have for you. I love Mega Sceptile, glad to see a team showcasing him. GL.

Hello! I really like how your team touches on a more offensive Grass playstyle, showing the uncommon Mega Sceptile. I think I have a few good suggestions that can help you improve this team's offensive nature.

First, I would definitely use Rock Slide > Protect and Modest -> Rash (+SpA, -SpD) or Naive (+Spe, -SpD) nature on Mega Sceptile. Sceptile is fast enough to where you don't really need to use Protect to Mega Evolve safely, but, if you really do need to outspeed stuff like Gengar, Lati@s, or Mega Diancie before Mega Evolving, you could use Naive without sacrificing a whole lot. Rock Slide helps out with two major problems to this team, Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona, by OHKOing both of them. You could also use Hidden Power Rock, but it won't OHKO them without Stealth Rock up, which is kinda hard get in a Fire Monotype matchup.
0 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 288-340 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Mega Sceptile Rock Slide vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 332-392 (100.9 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Next, Shiftry should definitely opt for Chlorophyll > Early Bird. While Chlorophyll obviously won't see much use on a Sunny Day-less team, it is still more useful than Early Bird, since the most common Sleep moves won't really bother Grass-types. Chlorophyll will help you out should your opponent activate Sunny Day with Mega Charizard Y or something, which could really help late-game. This change probably won't change a whole lot, but it is something to consider.

I'd agree with Joshz's change; Whimsicott > Roserade gives you a much needed and bulkier Fighting-type resist tbh. Moonblast is actually really helpful too, since it smacks Fighting-, Dark-, and Dragon-types so well. You do lose out on your scarfer, but Whimsicott provides really nice Speed control and even nabs momentum if it Encores the correct move.

Again, I'd agree with the above with Bullet Seed > Swords Dance, Technician Bullet Seed is what makes Breloom so dangerous in Monotype and helps break stuff in general.

Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Rock Slide

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore / Tailwind
- Moonblast
- U-turn
(Joshz's set)

Last bit, I think it would be nice to consider adding Choice Scarf Rotom-Mow somewhere on the team to help more with Flying-types (Mega Pinsir just kills everything once Ferrothorn is gone, and Ferrothorn won't stop it too easily) but I'm not exactly sure where. Possibly over Shiftry maybe? Worth consideration, but not really necessary, I guess. Anyways, good luck with the team, hope I helped!

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
I'd reccomend one thing, Giga drain over sub on Serp to recover off life orb, it will hit hard with boosts as well.

Rest of the team seems good to me, nice and ungeneric!

I've always wanted to share my favorite team of my favorite type, grass has a lot of high tier pokemon that i wanted to utilize and include into this team

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb​
Pretty standard Breloom set here, you can choose whether or not you want to lead spore with it, but on the whole an amazing pokemon, the stab technician boosted mach punch is fatal to most pokemon weak against it and bullet seed just adds to its coverage where as rock tomb is blatent coverage on brelooms part and it can deal with some pretty pesky flying types with ease aswell as being faster than most slow pokemon that just try to wall

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Shiftry is a hidden jewel among grass pokemon, swords dance is an easy set up move which can be used as the enemies are trying to stall behind their calm mind slowbros and what not, sucker punch provides amazing priority being one of (if not the best) dark type moves available including leaf blade which is one of the only physical grass moves available with decent damage

Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
Ahhh, Mega sceptile, this monster is absolutely astonishing with its power, 427 spa is nothing to laugh at and with a base 145 speed, it makes it one of the most powerful sweepers available. Coupled with moves such as giga Drain for stab grass damage and restoration aswell as dragon pulse for dual stab. Focus blast is just for type coverage and because this pokemon is one of the fastest pokemon of its kind, HP Ice can OHKO flying type threats like Lando easily.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Serperior... I have no words to describe what this thing can do... Step 1) Substitute on a staller such as Sableye, 2) proceed to leaf storm. 3) Sweep team. Done and dusted. HP Fire can destroy anything thats even remotely weak against fire with that insane contrary boost.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

The latest addition of my team, many people in the comments tried to persuade me to swap out my previous member (Roserade) with this and i'm happy to say, its genuinely working. Its fantastic as just plain crippling the opponents team with encore + stun spore aswell as moonblast for extra coverage and U-Turn to back out of hefty situations when needed

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
Ferrothorn is my main lead most of the time, the pure bulk of this thing is unreal, the ability to be able to set up Stealth Rocks and Spikes at the same time can seriously put a hole in my opponents team. Leech seed provides fatal recovery and its already gaining health from leftovers in the first place making an already bulky pokemon into a wall of spikes. Gyro ball catches many speedy pokemon and has a chance of soloing a team if the opponent is fast and can't overcome it.

INSERT THREAT LIST HERE
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
Hey bud, this is a pretty interesting grass team! 1 thing you should note is that you have a pretty bad fire weakness, you may wanna try Curse Cradily over Whimsicott to fix that.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recover
I forgot to mention that it is a great asset against flying, something grass is also weak to. For Sceptile, my buddy used to run a really cool grass team, also with mega sceptile, and he had a really good celebi set to go with it. I'll pass you that and you can maybe try it out.

Celebi @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 164 SpD / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain / Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Recover / Dazzling Gleam

Other than that, you can add minor stuff suck as Rock Slide on Shiftry (checks Mega Char Y), and LO SD for breloom (amazingly powerful physical attacker). GL with it! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)