Special Season 2: Revenge Of The Ubers!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Clearly the other Ubers weren't happy about being left out last season, because this special is all about them! Here are the rules

-This is a 3v3s Singles format, and this shares pretty much every rule with Battle Spot Singles!

-The twist: you can use ONE restricted Pokemon, which are pretty much Mewtwo, events, and boxart Ubers!

-Here's the list of restricted Pokemon: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and Magearna

Early viability list

S

Mega Rayquaza
Arceus-Normal
A

Kyogre
Tapu Lele
Mega Salamence
Special Arceus (mainly Fairy, Ghost, and Dark. We may split these up if needed)
Mimikyu
Garchomp
Celesteela
Tapu Koko
Mega Gengar
Aegislash
Cloyster

B

Lunala
Landorus-T
Landorus
Ferrothorn
Yveltal
Primal Groudon
Xerneas
Ditto
Mega Gyarados
Porygon2
Alolan Ninetales
Pheromosa
Mamoswine
Whimsicott

C

Deoxys-A
Solgaleo
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Dialga
Mewtwo
Tapu Fini
Cresselia

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
No surprise that I'm really looking forward to this special, any reason to use Rayquaza is good enough for me. Limiting to only one legend is a very interesting dynamic as opposed to allowing more, which while making a good chunk of options basically worthless (see: 90% of event legends), it does kinda make some options less immediately appealing.

Groudon in particular sounds less ideal as a choice than it might have been if we could use 2 or 3 legends, since using your legend for a more defensive role seems less effective than going a more offensive route, making it harder to make up for the offense elsewhere. The nerfs to Kangaskhan and Salamence also makes those two stand out less as non-Rayquaza Mega choices to fill that power gap too. I'm not saying Groudon won't be a top tier choice but I see plenty of reason to not use Groudon as your legend for this. Rayquaza, Xerneas, Groudon and Arceus stand out to me the most as top choices for this, but having to cover everything else with non-restricted Pokemon will be interesting.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since Bank isn't out, are the 'Alola Battle' resources a good start ?
Yeah a lot of what was said there will probably work here too. However, expect Lunala to be more diverse with the items it has at its disposal, and some stuff like Porygon2, Cloyster, and Alolan Marowak are now viable since items are back.

Imo they uses mew and mewtwo as mascotte 'cause they wanna do a mewtwo and mew event gift, with mew we'll get the mew Z Crystal.

I suppose it. I don't know if gf said anything about this.

Theorymon

So when the hell is the bank gonna be opened?
No one really knows outside of "this month". My best guess is that Pokebank will get updated on either the 19th or the 26th, since those are eshop update days. Hard to tell though besides "soon" x_x

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Any word on if the Pentagon rule applies to transferred legends (ie can I use Multiscale Lugia), or is it the same ambiguity as the result of the battle spot formats?

Kind of wish this was doubles so I could screw around with supporting a White Kyurem. All my ideas don't work in singles.

Oh well. I'm sure theres other legends I can use that I haven't touched before.

Sorry, what does that mean? Other gen Ubers are listed there, so it should be reflective of the current season, right?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
He probably missed that, but one thing I'd note is that these stats are biased towards pre-bank stats since the season started about a week before Bank actually came out, so it's not entirely representative of the format. Some of these Pokemon in pre-bank will also remain relevant post-bank so their usage isn't going to just disappear either, but the fact that Groudon is so low makes me think there are also isn't a ton of people on this ladder at the moment so usage will be kinda weird for awhile. But yeah, there's no way Lunala is that far ahead of Arceus and Rayquaza, though in a pre-bank setting it's easily the #1 Pokemon.

That being said, seeing Groudon and Xerneas so low at the moment while Rayquaza and Arceus shot up to top 10 so fast makes me think the impressions I was getting in teambuilding weren't wrong. Guess those two aren't as immediately appealing as choices as I initially thought they might be.

Theorymon

Me and Psynergy talked about it, and now have an early viability list up! Feel free to discuss the finer points of it, there could be stuff that it's missing!

Hi all, I usually play battle spot singles (free battles) 3v3 with special pokemon allowed. Recently I have quite a bit of trouble facing Extreme killer arceus. Quite often it comes in with a +2 swords dance and starts sweeping away. Against pokemon that can tank a +2 shadow claw/earthquake/extremespeed they often swap out to another pokemon that can deal chip damage to the tank so that it cannot tank well the next time it comes in on arceus. I would much prefer a pokemon that could act as a counter rather than a check to this pokemon. Any help would be much appreciated.

Am I asking for advice in the wrong thread?This threads seems to be for battle spot 3v3 rating battles. If so, I apologize in advance and kindly seek the assistance of smogonites to direct me to the right thread for advice.

Last edited:
M-Sableye is a pretty good answer since WoW/Foul Play both deal with the boosts and the typing ensures it can get in on extremespeed or SD safely. M-Salamence and M-Gengar are checks that can still work in the right circumstance but are weaker with the aerialate/destiny bond nerfs. Bulky Yveltal is also a good answer to variants that don't carry stone edge.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi all, I usually play battle spot singles (free battles) 3v3 with special pokemon allowed. Recently I have quite a bit of trouble facing Extreme killer arceus. Quite often it comes in with a +2 swords dance and starts sweeping away. Against pokemon that can tank a +2 shadow claw/earthquake/extremespeed they often swap out to another pokemon that can deal chip damage to the tank so that it cannot tank well the next time it comes in on arceus. I would much prefer a pokemon that could act as a counter rather than a check to this pokemon. Any help would be much appreciated.

Am I asking for advice in the wrong thread?This threads seems to be for battle spot 3v3 rating battles. If so, I apologize in advance and kindly seek the assistance of smogonites to direct me to the right thread for advice.
I moved your post to our thread on the Special season ruleset which allows legendaries there. Please note we do not discuss free battles in this forum. I suggest giving rated Special a try if you like using legends though.

Can anyone share their roster with counters against arceus? The bulky recover types can outheal choice-specced modest lunala, so any overall help for team building against arceus would be great. Just lost to a bulky steel arceus with judgement that outlasted earthquake from my mega salamence, any tips?

Just started on special battles :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)