Screamo Genre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screamo is a subgenre of hardcore punk which predominantly evolved from emo, among other genres, in the early 1990s. The term "screamo" was initially applied to a more aggressive offshoot of emo that developed in San Diego in 1991, which used short songs that grafted "spastic intensity to willfully experimental dissonance and dynamics."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamo#cite_note-Heller-1 The genre experienced a popularity boost in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and by mid-2000s the over-saturation of the scene encouraged bands to incorporate more experimental elements. Due to the popularity and evolution of the style to a point of being unrecognizable, the term "skramz" is sometimes used to describe bands from the first wave of screamo.

I love it, discuss it.

Screamo lyrics often feature topics such as emotional pain, romantic interest, feminism, politics, and human rights.[8] The New York Times noted that "part of the music's appeal is its un-self-conscious acceptance of differences, respect for otherness." Some screamo bands openly demonstrate acceptance of religious, nonreligious, straight edge, and homosexual lifestyles.[6]
Many screamo bands in the 1990s saw themselves as implicitly political, and as a reaction against the turn to the right embodied by California politicians, such as Roger Hedgecock.[9] Some groups were also unusually theoretical in inspiration: Angel Hair cited surrealist writers Antonin Artaud and Georges Bataille,[2] and Orchid lyrically name-checked French new wave icon Anna Karina, German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, French philosopher Michel Foucault, and critical theory originators the Frankfurt School.[10]

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nitro Mega Prayer is a Screamo band from Japan, formed in 1999.[1] They are best known for their 2005 release "Songs of Hypocrisy", as well as concert tours in the US and Japan.

They started in January 1999 with Nakano (vocals), and Amano (guitar). They became a quintet with the introduction of Shimeda (guitar), Atsushi (bass), and Rinta (drum) in December 2000. Their intense and energetic live performances are characteristic of the Japanese screamo sound.

In 2005, they finished a CD titled "Songs of Hypocrisy" in which the sound quality is much improved over their previous albums.
2005 brought a split CD with the Philadelphia screamo / chaotic hardcore band Balboa, which was released on Theory and Practice Records of Japan.[2] Later both bands toured Japan together, including dates with Killie, Dipleg, 1000 Travels of Jawaharlal, Enslave, and Endzweck. This split CD showcased Nitro Mega Prayer's expansion of the Japanese screamo sound by incorporating electronic sounds and samples into the intricate mix of caustic screamo.
In March 2006, Nitro Mega Prayer completed on an East Coast tour of the United States with Balboa, and received critical acclaim for their "off the hook" performances.[2] The Japanese only split saw official state-side release by Chicago indie label Forge Again Records.

Nitro Mega Prayer were influenced by the late 90's early 2000's hardcore/punk bands from Tokyo and Sapporo(Swipe, there is a light that never goes out, Nine Days Wonder, The Sun, Tiala, 100 Lots, Kulara) putting them in the second generation of Japanese bands that had been influenced by the Gravity Records, Dischord(Revolution Summer Era) and Ebulltion Records Sound of the 90's.[citation needed]

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Circle Takes the Square is an American experimental screamo band from Savannah, Georgia. Their debut release was a 7-track self-titled EP in 2001, followed later by a 7" split with Pg. 99. In 2004 the band released As the Roots Undo on Robotic Empire, which released the CD, and HyperRealist Records, which released the gatefold LP.
They are currently finishing their second full-length album, entitled "Decompositions". The first volume was released as a limited-press CD, entitled "Decompositions Vol. 1, Rites Of Initiation" and was put out on their own label, Gatepost Recordings in the fall of 2011. The completed record should be finished in late April of 2012. They have toured with bands such as Kylesa, Thursday, Touché Amoré, Junius, and Mannequin, among others.

Circle Takes the Square has been described as being a "blend of progressive experimentation and DIY hardcore, metal, and noise...characterised by a natural fusion of grindcore and the sweeping guitar dynamics of post-punk and emo ".[1] They describe themselves as "...a punk rock band with reverence for the Mystery.

Sleeping with Sirens is an American post-hardcore band from Orlando, Florida currently residing in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Formed in 2009 by members of For All We Know, Broadway and We Are Defiance. The group is currently signed to Rise Records and has released two full-length albums. Their acoustic third album, "If You Were a Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack" is set to be released on June 26, 2012.

The group is known primarily for the versatility of vocalist Kellin Quinn's vocal range to which even the name for the band was directly derived and inspired for his musical role. Their first album, With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear, was released on March 23, 2010. Debuted at number 7 on Billboard's Top Heatseekers chart, and at number 36 on Top Independent Albums. Their second album, Let's Cheers to This, was released on May 10, 2011. The first song from the album, "Do It Now Remember It Later", was released on April 7, 2011.

I Set My Friends on Fire is recognized for their experimental musical style. The group blends elements from a variety of genres, including electronica, crunkcore, post-hardcore and more. AllMusic describes the group's style as "a tornado of musical influences and genres."

Typical characteristics of the band's music include screamed vocals, Auto-Tuned vocals, and electronic sounds produced by synthesizers and sequencers. Their music is known to include constant transitions between chaotic, abrasive, heavy metal passages and softer electronic ballads. Song titles and lyrics generally discuss sexual or humorous themes, often making use of large words and comprehensive vocabulary.

Can't we just move this here.

edit: i was searching for this thread the whole time and then i see the replies. fml

The Devil Wears Prada is an American metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio. Formed in 2005, they are currently signed to Warner Music Group. The Devil Wears Prada is a Christian band consisting of members Mike Hranica (vocals), Chris Rubey (lead guitar), Jeremy DePoyster (rhythm guitar, vocals), Andy Trick (bass), and Daniel Williams (drums), all of whom are Christians. The band had maintained its original lineup until keyboardist James Baney left the band. To date, the group has released four full-length albums, one DVD, one EP, and seven music videos.

my favourite song of theirs is "Plagues"

Underoath is an American Christian metalcore band from Tampa, Florida. Founded by Dallas Taylor and Luke Morton on November 30, 1997[1] in Ocala, Florida, subsequently its additional members were from Tampa, Florida.[2][3][4] They are currently signed with Solid State Records, a subsidiary of Tooth and Nail Records, and are the label's most popular group.[4]
Due to several line-up changes, none of Underoath's original members remain with the group. With original vocalist Dallas Taylor, they released Act of Depression, Cries of the Past, and The Changing of Times. Following his departure, Spencer Chamberlain became lead vocalist. The band then released They're Only Chasing Safety and Define the Great Line, gaining a certified gold rating and the highest-charting Christian album on The Billboard 200 since 1997[5] respectively. These two albums have given them more mainstream and commercial success.
They have received two Grammy nominations in 2007 and 2010 respectively[6][7] and have recorded a live CD/DVD box set entitled Survive, Kaleidoscope, which was released on May 27, 2008. From late February to early May the band recorded their sixth studio album entitled Lost in the Sound of Separation, which was released on September 2, 2008[8] and peaked at number 8 on the Billboard 200.[9] Their latest album Ø (Disambiguation) was released on November 9, 2010, and is the first without the band's last original member, drummer and vocalist Aaron Gillespie after parting ways with the band earlier in the year.[10]

Oh and One Direction is also a good screamo band.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pianos Become the Teeth is an American rock band that formed in 2006. They perform a style of music inspired by post-rock and early screamo acts, and are a part of "The Wave"—an in-joke began by friends Touche Amore, La Dispute, Defeater, and Make Do And Mend, all playing a form of post-hardcore music. The group reissued their well received debut album Old Pride in 2010 through Topshelf Records.

Pianos Become the Teeth is a prominent band in "The Wave," a new generation of post-hardcore bands that share similar ideologies.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-rvamag1-12 Other figures in The Wave include La Dispute, Touché Amoré, Defeater and Make Do and Mend.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-sept2010_crossfire-13 The bands in this movement perform with "emotionally-centered lyrical content, dual musical emphasis on both melody and distorted intensity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-rvamag1-12
Musically, Pianos Become the Teeth write songs influenced by early screamo acts such as City of Caterpillar and Funeral Diner, and also post-rock bands like This Will Destroy You.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-latenight1-14 In an interview with Staircase Thoughts, the band described being labeled as screamo as "flattering in some respects," but ultimately didn't want to be pigeonholed as a "screamo band."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-staircase-9
Vocalist Kyle Durfey writes very personal lyrics that often discuss events in his life, or about dwelling on the future and growing up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-hearwax1-15 Specifically on their album Old Pride, Durfey wrote about, "how you have this 'young fire' when you're younger and you have to have an 'old pride' to feel right about your life."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-latenight1-14 The track "Cripples Can't Shiver" outlines Durfey's father, and how his struggles with multiple sclerosis impacted his life.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-latenight1-14 In an interview with Hearwax, Kyle Durfey commented on writing dark lyrics, stating "I feel like most of us and most bands we are into tend to write about darker things. It's hard to write when you're happy. This doesn't mean we aren't happy as people."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pianos_Become_the_Teeth#cite_note-hearwax1-15

One Direction are a British-Irish boy band consisting of members Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson. They signed to Simon Cowell's record label Syco Records after being formed and placing third in the seventh series of The X Factor. They later signed in North America to Columbia Records.

One Direction released their debut album, Up All Night, in November 2011, the record became the fastest-selling debut album in the UK of 2011. In 2012, it debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200, making One Direction the first UK group in history to debut at number one with their first album. The record spawned the Official UK Singles Chart top ten singles— "What Makes You Beautiful", "Gotta Be You", and "One Thing". In 2012, "What Makes You Beautiful" won the award for Best British Single at the 2012 BRIT Awards.

One Direction's World Tour is set for 2013, with tickets already grossing US$15.7 million for their Australasia dates. One Direction have been noted for res-surge of the boy band and has been labelled as the new British Invasion. One Direction has endorsements with Pokémon, Nokia, HarperCollins and Hasbro.

ACKLOW STAY ON TOPIC THIS IS A SERIOUS DISCUSSION

btw has anyone heard of that song
Your Name?
It goes a little like this

I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in my heart,
and forever it will stay

Your Name?

and forever it will stay
That song is "Don't Go" by Bring Me The Horizon.

Your Name?

and forever it will stay
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3466516

also, never mention one direction or say hi to fatecrashers. those are the rules.

Asking Alexandria are a British metalcore band from York, North Yorkshire. Founded in 2008 when Ben Bruce (lead guitar) contacted his old companions upon returning to the UK after residing in Dubai. The current line-up of the group consists of Ben Bruce (lead guitar), Danny Worsnop (vocals), Cameron Liddell (rhythm guitar), Sam Bettley (bass guitar) and James Cassells (drums).

my favorite member of One Direction is Zayn.
I also just said hi to fatecrashers
[19:52]Tanner hi fatecrashers
[19:53]BirkaI hi

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
...many modern Internet communities advise newbies to lurk for some time to get a feel for the specific culture and etiquette of the community, lest they make an inappropriate or redundant comment, ask a Frequently Asked Question, or incite a flame war. This leads to the tongue-in-cheek command to "lurk more".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)