Sandygast, Palossand Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sandygast
Ghost/Ground
Abilities: Water Compaction / Water Compaction / Sand Veil
HP: 55
Atk: 55
Def: 80
SpAtk: 70
SpDef: 45
Spe: 15

Level Up

L1 - Harden
L1 - Absorb
L5 - Astonish
L9 - Sand Attack
L14 - Sand Tomb
L18 - Mega Drain
L23 - Bulldoze
L27 - Hypnosis
L32 - Iron Defense
L36 - Giga Drain
L41 - Shadow Ball
L45 - Earth Power
L50 - Shore Up
L54 - Sandstorm

TMs

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM83 - Infestation
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide
Egg moves

Egg - Amnesia
Egg - Destiny Bond
Egg - Ancient Power
Egg - Stockpile
Egg - Swallow
Egg - Spit Up

Palossand
Ghost/Ground
Abilities: Water Compaction / Water Compaction / Sand Veil
HP: 85
Atk: 75
Def: 110
SpAtk: 100
SpDef: 75
Spe: 35

Level Up

L1 - Harden
L1 - Absorb
L1 - Astonish
L1 - Sand Attack
L5 - Astonish
L9 - Sand Attack
L14 - Sand Tomb
L18 - Mega Drain
L23 - Bulldoze
L27 - Hypnosis
L32 - Iron Defense
L36 - Giga Drain
L41 - Shadow Ball
L47 - Earth Power
L54 - Shore Up
L60 - Sandstorm

TMs

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM60 - Quash
TM63 - Embargo
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM83 - Infestation
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Amnesia
Egg - Destiny Bond
Egg - Ancient Power
Egg - Stockpile
Egg - Swallow
Egg - Spit Up

New Ability
Water Compaction: Boosts the Pokémon’s Defense stat sharply when hit\nby a Water-type move.

Last edited:
If Water Compaction boosted it's Special Defence instead, it might have been more useful, I think. Better attacking stats than I thought it would have, though.

Very sad that it doesn't get trick room. It's got a great offensive typing and being specially oriented is a nice plus but is too slow to really pull much off with it. Reliable recovery is nice though. I think the water shuriken smeargle+weakness policy palossand meme combo is dead now though, sdef is just too low to patch up.

Disappointing base HP. It's a fucking CASTLE for God's sake.
Well 85/110 physical bulk is still nice. At least Shadow Ball/Earth Power/Giga Drain/Shore Up will be useful ingame I guess ;)
Also, another unique move that so many other Pokemon would have liked :<

Last edited:
It actually may be pretty good pre-bank. There's a lot of physical water types like Wimpod's evo, but things like Primarina ofc are a threat. If you recover every turn you get waterfalled in the face, eventually those boosts will all but negate physical hits.

Sandstorm helps it's special defense at least.

Last edited:
It actually may be pretty good pre-bank. There's a lot of physical water types like Wimpod's evo, but things like Primarina ofc are a threat. If you recover every turn you get waterfalled in the face, eventually those boosts will all but negate physical hits.

Sandstorm helps it's special defense at least.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Sandstorm only boost the SpDef of Rock Types?

At least it gets good recovery.....

Still though, a Ground-type Recovery move sounds great in STABmons. (Its likely Ground-type at least)

I am thinking of pairing this guy up with Toxapex. Very low damaging Water move for nice free defense boosts, plus it would be able to heal off any damage it takes from that pokemon. Can become a very strong wall.

Yet another pokemon suited for Trick room. Its a pity that it doesnt get the move. It is pretty bulky on the physical side and can easily make use of its ability to take another watet hit if needed. A weakness policy would a interesting prospect and be able to do major damage. Having access to Giga Drain is cool to. Pretty mediocre to be honest.

Yet another pokemon suited for Trick room. Its a pity that it doesnt get the move. It is pretty bulky on the physical side and can easily make use of its ability to take another watet hit if needed. A weakness policy would a interesting prospect and be able to do major damage. Having access to Giga Drain is cool to. Pretty mediocre to be honest.
With the right partner a weakness policy would be great. Take a very low damage surf from a Toxapex, get huge boost, heal up, then start wreaking havoc

No WoW, really? Come on GF. Reliable recovery and at least some ability to work off a common weakness makes it marginally useful as a spinblocker, but without WoW, this is a missed opportunity for interesting play options against physical Waters, More than anything else, no WoW kills this any chance of this being viable at high levels of play. Golurk also looked cool on paper with scary offensive prowess but ended up failing to make a splash.

No WoW, really? Come on GF. Reliable recovery and at least some ability to work off a common weakness makes it marginally useful as a spinblocker, but without WoW, this is a missed opportunity for interesting play options against physical Waters, More than anything else, no WoW kills this any chance of this being viable at high levels of play. Golurk also looked cool on paper with scary offensive prowess but ended up failing to make a splash.
Burn status has taken a big nerf. It does the damage it did back in gen 1, I think just 1/12th now. So I don't think the lack of WoW kills this pokemon

Tory

Banned deucer.
First we got a garbage bag, 3 ice cream cones, and now this?

Golurk seems to be offensive while this... sand castle (Palossand) is physically defensive and special attacker. Palossand stats does not match its ability one bit. NU material.

Burn status has taken a big nerf. It does the damage it did back in gen 1, I think just 1/12th now. So I don't think the lack of WoW kills this pokemon
That's not a "big nerf". Sure, it does less chip damage, but that was never the main reason to use burn. The chip damage was icing on the cake, but it doesn't affect its utility to cripple offensive teams and certainly doesn't push WoW out of viability.

For Palossand, Water Compaction + WoW would've made an excellent combo that provides interesting counterplay against stuff like Swampert and Azumarill, as well as being a potent combo with Shore Up. Without it, anything with a resistance/immunity to Ground can switch in on this with little penalty. Threatening WoW at least forces the enemy to think twice. I guess it can spam Toxic maybe but I hear that was nerfed, and unlike burn, Toxic has no utility outside of damage.

That's not a "big nerf". Sure, it does less chip damage, but that was never the main reason to use burn. The chip damage was icing on the cake, but it doesn't affect its utility to cripple offensive teams and certainly doesn't push WoW out of viability.

For Palossand, Water Compaction + WoW would've made an excellent combo that provides interesting counterplay against stuff like Swampert and Azumarill, as well as being a potent combo with Shore Up. Without it, anything with a resistance/immunity to Ground can switch in on this with little penalty. Threatening WoW at least forces the enemy to think twice. I guess it can spam Toxic maybe but I hear that was nerfed, and unlike burn, Toxic has no utility outside of damage.
First I have heard of toxic being nerfed. But I see your point. Perhaps they felt that a sand castle wouldn't have the ability to throw balls of flame, or they saw just how big that combo would have been.

Still, I think you can still use the pokemon well. I know I will combine it with Toxapex so it gets hit be a weak surf, gets the defense boost, and also gets a weakness policy boost. then it will be very physically defensive and be able to heal itself up, then proceed to hit very hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)