Salandit, Salazzle Discussion

People shouldn't underestimate Corrosion. It can be HUGE if you cripple a Heatran or a Poison type like Tentacruel and your opponent isn't running Rest on them or doesn't have a Cleric or the Cleric is simply dead. Now that burn got nerfed to 6% residual damage. Poison shines more in the indirect damage department. Placing key Pokemon on a timer is nearly always beneficial.

Didn't really look through the thread, but something I'm not 100% clear on Corrosion:

Does the effect of Corrosion let you ATTACK a Steel-type with Poison-type moves, or only Poison them?

Didn't really look through the thread, but something I'm not 100% clear on Corrosion:

Does the effect of Corrosion let you ATTACK a Steel-type with Poison-type moves, or only Poison them?
I was literally just about to ask that. Because if so.....

Speaking of Corrosive, if a Pokemon that learns Toxic Spikes were to have the ability, would its Toxic Spikes be able to poison Poison and Steel types?

Speaking of Corrosive, if a Pokemon that learns Toxic Spikes were to have the ability, would its Toxic Spikes be able to poison Poison and Steel types?
I really doubt it, because then switching in a grounded poison-type would poison them and then remove the toxic spikes, which would just be really weird.

Am I the only one who thinks that this thing is actually gonna be a really decent stallbreaker thanks to the unprecedented ability to Toxic almost anything in the game? Plus it has high Speed and access to Taunt.

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Timid - Corrosion
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Defence
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Fire Blast
-Sludge Bomb / Substitute

Toxic + Taunt will let you singlehandedly break down passive stall teams and seriously annoy fatmons in general. Fire Blast + Sludge Bomb offer STABs, cause his movepool isn't exactly amazing and there isn't a whole hell of a lot else to put there. Substitute can be used to further aid in stallbreaking I suppose. While it's kind of a strange set, it's also really simple. Toxic things, Taunt defensive Pokemon, Heal Bell users, etc. That's basically it.

Obviously needs some serious team support, being as it has perhaps the worst possible defensive typing in the game (other than, like, Ice/Fire...), but on teams that really need a reliable stallbreaker, Salazzle might be worth consideration.​

But dude...

Belch.

I all seriousness, though, it does have a couple worthwhile Egg Moves. I've had some success running Snatch in the past, and it could serve it well on a speedy support set with Toxic, as you could steal bulky Mons' recovery moves, or a cleric's Heal Bell/Aromatherapy. And as has been mentioned before, Fake Out makes this salacious salamander a shoo-in for VGC.
Unless the QR Code scan nets you either a Squirtle or Scraggy, unfortunately Fake Out will be illegal pre-bank. Those 2 are the only pokemon that are in the Monster/Dragon egg group with Salandit that can teach it learn Fake Out (Kangaskhan is female only too, so no dice).

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one who thinks that this thing is actually gonna be a really decent stallbreaker thanks to the unprecedented ability to Toxic almost anything in the game? Plus it has high Speed and access to Taunt.

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Timid - Corrosion
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Defence
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Fire Blast
-Sludge Bomb / Substitute

Toxic + Taunt will let you singlehandedly break down passive stall teams and seriously annoy fatmons in general. Fire Blast + Sludge Bomb offer STABs, cause his movepool isn't exactly amazing and there isn't a whole hell of a lot else to put there. Substitute can be used to further aid in stallbreaking I suppose. While it's kind of a strange set, it's also really simple. Toxic things, Taunt defensive Pokemon, Heal Bell users, etc. That's basically it.

Obviously needs some serious team support, being as it has perhaps the worst possible defensive typing in the game (other than, like, Ice/Fire...), but on teams that really need a reliable stallbreaker, Salazzle might be worth consideration.​
You're right in that Substitute has a place on the set; somewhat moreso than Taunt in my opinion if we're using Corrosion Toxic. For starters, you're not exactly taunting anything safely with that bulk and typing, especially against offensive teams. Substitute imo at least acts as a safety net against a variety of playstyles since Salazzle forces plenty of switches and wants to ease prediction. I'll concede that Taunt is pretty good if Salazzle's against something like chansey or gets off a last minute taunt against a poisoned defensive mon before dying. It's really just a case of mixing and matching moves like with Gengar (who's stuck between status moves, Substitute, and Taunt).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Whoa! A fast Special Attacker! In Alola? Well it comes at a cost, it's low everywhere else. Surprised it gets Oblivious considering male Salandit aren't able to resist female Salandit/Salazzle's seduction (though it would have made sense on Salazzle since they're female only).

STABs are the options you expect (and it can even get Sludge Wave!). But the only other notable move it can use is Dragon Pulse. For utility let's first focus on the moves that work with its Ability: Poison Gas and Toxic... so, yeah, pretty much Toxic. Other utilities is Captivate/Attract, Encore, Torment, Nasty Plot, Venom Drench, Protect, Double Team, and Will-O-Wisp. Egg Moves offer Knock Off, Sand Attack, and Fake Out.

So I'm guessing the strategy here is Poison (or Burn) and either go on the offensive or switch out. I don't get it being a seductress when it doesn't have the defense to stall. You'd be pretty much relying on luck and that's only if facing a Pokemon of the opposite gender.

Really like this pokemon. Nice speed and special attack and corrosion is amazing for poisoning mons like heatran, toxapex and tentacruel.

One of my favorites of this gen. great typing and stats, but she would appreciate more coverge. I think that specs with flamethrower/sludge wave/HP ground/dragon pulse. maybe nasty plot will work too. and i guess i could see some vration of stall runing her too. Overall i think she is good.

Unfortunate that the Corrosion ability slightly goes to waste (due to its frailty, best shot of snagging a poison is through contingency: 30% on the Sludge Bomb; EDIT: its Poison type moves still have no effect on Steel types mons, meaning the ability really does go to waste) but I can see this mon sticking around in OU. It's sitting in a wonderful speed tier, outspeeding Azelf, Whimsicott and dare I say it, Ambipom.

Nasty Plot is also a nice touch, and although its movepool isn't the best, it should be also to fulfill its role on a team - I would put forward that it's good at what it does (or will do)

Unfortunate that the Corrosion ability slightly goes to waste (due to its frailty, best shot of snagging a poison is through contingency: 30% on the Sludge Bomb; EDIT: its Poison type moves still have no effect on Steel types mons, meaning the ability really does go to waste) but I can see this mon sticking around in OU. It's sitting in a wonderful speed tier, outspeeding Azelf, Whimsicott and dare I say it, Ambipom.

Nasty Plot is also a nice touch, and although its movepool isn't the best, it should be also to fulfill its role on a team - I would put forward that it's good at what it does (or will do)
Wait, really? Even Toxic? Source?

Wait, really? Even Toxic? Source?
Toxic should be able to work, I imagine, otherwise the ability itself makes no sense.
I was referring to contingencies in moves (such as Sludge Bomb, which still cannot hit Steel types, apparently; however, that is based on previous posts in this very thread, so it could be incorrect.)

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Salazzle Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 165-195 (106.4 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nasty Plot seems good.
It's walled completely by Chansey (running Knock Off or Taunt could somewhat help, but then it's walled completely by Heatran and Ttar), I still think the best set will be 2 Stabs, Toxic and Knock Off/Dragon Pulse.

I feel Salazzle's unique typing is wasted due to it's garbage bulk. 68/60/60 is terrible only being slightly more bulky than an Absol. Bear in mind that I wasn't expecting Salazzle to have amazing OMG bulk by any stretch. Flygon's 80/80/80 bulk would have fitted better allowing Salazzle to use it's valuable resistances to Fairy, Fighting and Ice to decent success. Salazzle is so not taking hits well, even resisted ones unless it's a weak x4 resist to Fairy, Bug or Grass. It's not like Poison/Fire is amazing defensively, it has an awful weakness to ground and being rock weak means SR is going to be a pain for Salazzle.

Focus Sash is probably going to be the gold standard item for Salazzle. Life Orb being second which is pretty damn predictable for a Pokemon with these stats. 111 Special Attack isn't amazing anymore due to the power creep that has happened since Gen 5 though still pretty respectable. 117 speed is pretty good, despite the fact that it's missing on threats like Alakazam and Greninja who has a small chance remaining OU this upcoming Gen. Really looking forward in using Salazzle. It may not look top tier material at a simple glance, but does have a number of quirks which can make it a threatening and fun Pokemon to use.

It's walled completely by Chansey (running Knock Off or Taunt could somewhat help, but then it's walled completely by Heatran and Ttar), I still think the best set will be 2 Stabs, Toxic and Knock Off/Dragon Pulse.
Heatran is indeed a full stop to any set not running Toxic or HP Ground which might be a thing to run over Toxic in the Nasty Plot set. Though most people are so not switching in Heatran due to the fear of corrosion Toxic. Heatran forfeits it's defensive assets if it gets badly poisoned and your opponent isn't running Rest on Heatran or lacks a Cleric to heal off the poison. Salazzle is probably going to be pretty damn hard to switch into due to Corrosion Toxic ruining almost everything it hits.

I'm sure Toxic is going to be extremely common on Salazzle. Knock Off is good. Though Corrosion Toxic is generally better utility. D-Pulse is decent coverage, probably wouldn't run it. It does hit Dragalge and Garchomp for SE damage. Though Salazzle isn't OHKO'ing either unless it nabs a +2 with NP. Toxic already screws both if they decide to switch on either of Salazzle's STAB moves.

Is there any Steel not named Heatran that Salazzle would rather poison versus just knocking out with a hard-hitting Fire Blast, especially considering most Steels are weak on the special side? I suppose Empoleon, but I feel like they won't run into each other much. Heatproof Bronzong seems like a stretch as well. The ability to poison Toxapex will be huge though, as I think Salazzle can handle an uninvested Scald coming off of a 53 SpA.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salazzle: 158-188 (57 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Okay, hits a little harder than I thought it would, but worth it to badly poison Toxapex, who is likely to be the stall god(dess) of gen 7.

Is it just me, or do you get the vibe that Toxapex and Salazzle are counterparts? Both are feminine (Mareanie moreso), share a poison-type, one is focused on being slow and tanking hits while the other is fast and supposed to dish them out. Both also have exclusive abilities based on poisoning the enemy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)