ORAS Ubers Sahara's Subduers

Hello all, and welcome to my first-ever ubers RMT: Sahara's Subduers. The original idea came from wanting to build around Mega Tyranitar, since it's (in my eyes) a forgotten threat in ubers. Before we jump into it, I'll leave some music with you ;]

Obviously, I started with mega tyranitar. I feel like it's very underrated, especially as an offensive threat. I went with the dragon dance set, since I want it to be an offensive asset.

I needed a defogger/rapid spinner, as well as a stealth rocker, so I added girantina-o, and primal-groudon. Girantina-o gives me a way to control hazards, as well as a way to check/counter threats such as primal groudon, and ekiller. No team loses anything by adding primal groudon. It gives me a way to set up rocks and cripple flying threats such as ho-oh and yveltal, as well as a way to check the monster that is xerneas.

After that, I added a xerneas, and an yveltal. I felt like yveltal had great synergy with the rest of the members, as well as another way to (soft)check primal-groudon. I went with taunt on the yveltal as well, to prevent klefki from switchin in for free, and setup getting out of hand. Xerneas I added because I want to something that could set up, besides tyranitar, and something that's immune to dragons. With aromatherapy to cure the team, since it's very weak to status spam, I didn't see the harm in adding xerneas.

Upon noticing that my team was very weak to darkrai, especially the lead version, I added arceus-normal. This added some much needed priority to my team. I went with Magic coat over earthquake, giving me a great anti-lead to stuff like greninja, deoxys-speed, and darkrai.

After this, I did a lot of testing. A lot of people helped me do that, and I thank them for that. I came to learn a lot about the team. I came to the realisation that it was very weak to xerneas, arceus-fairy, and SD ice punch mega-lucario. I ended up at the drawing board again, trying to remove those weaknesses while still keeping the team solid.

I replaced Yveltal with Excadrill. I concluded that I didn't make good enough use of the sand that tyranitar naturally provided, and so, to remove the fairy weakness, I added excadrill. It gives me a very fast offensive threat, that can deal with any fairy type, as well as a toxic immunity. I added rapid spin, and removed defog from giratina-o, and gave it dragon tail, so that ekiller wouldn't be able to set up on it.

I replaced xerneas with a defensive primal-kyogre. It makes the team's defenses a lot more solid, and covers the most important leftover threats. It gave me another way to status absorb as well.

Varanus (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Tyranitarite

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

The star of this team. It's main role is as a late game sweeper, as well as to check the powerful bird pokemon within the ubers metagame. I went with the usual; Stone edge as its main stab for flying types, and hitting everything in general hard. Crunch as its secondary stab move. This is mainly used for giratinas, and the lati twins. And last, but not least, earthquake. This is mainly for hitting Primal groudon. I'm not going to explain why I went with dragon dance, as it seems pretty obvious.

Saharian Sun (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave

Primal Groudon has a more defensive use. Primal Groudon is this team's stealth rocker, as well as a solid answer to pokemon like primal kyogre and xerneas. I went with thunder wave over roar, because I felt that it would come in handy a lot more often. It would be able to cripple a lot of (normally safe) switch-ins like giratina, arceus-water, and the lati twins. This would make the team weaker to any form of rest xerneas, but I thought it would be fine, since there is excadrill as well. I went with blades over earthquake, since I tend to lean to the moves with the higher base power. Rock slide instead of stone edge is purely because stone edge always misses for me (this might seem as a contradiction, since I have stone edge on tyranitar, but okay). It also adds a 30% chance to flinch to the table, which, in combination with thunder wave, can be harder to deal with than stone edge.

Desert's Reaper (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 244 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

Giratina's main job is too serve as an ekiller, arceus ground, and primal groudon check/counter. In order to make full use of that aspect, I gave it dragon tail. Dragon tail is there to phaze out arceus forms, making sure that they can't set-up on it. With the combination of thunder wave and hex, there is little that likes to switch into it, or that wants to stay in. Draco meteor is there for pokemon like primal-groudon, other ground types alike, and bulky dragon types.

Desert's Guide (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Magic Coat

Arceus is there to provide much needed priority, as well as to serve as a great anti-lead. Swords Dance is there to give both of its attacks a powerful boost, and make it a force to be reckoned with. I went with magic coat over eartquake, simply because I had enough ground moves on the team, and felt like the team was weak to darkrai, and leads in general. Extreme speed is the go to move on an arceus-normal (hence the name ekiller), and shadow claw is there so that it won't lose to ghost types.

Golden Mole (Excadrill) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

On this team, excadrill serves as a fast offensive sweeper. With Sand Rush it outspeeds any other pokemon in the tier when sand is up. Earthquake is there as its main stab move to hit steel, and fire types hard, and basicly make every grounded pokemon regret that it's not a flying type. Iron head is there for fairies, with the main ones being Xerneas and Arceus-fairy. Rapid Spin is there as a form of hazard control, since giratina-o has none. Swords dance does what it always does.

Sahara's Savior (Kyogre) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Primal Kyogre is my go to darkrai switch-in, as well my main switch-in for physical attackers. It serves as a secondary check to pokemon like Ho-oh, Arceus-Rock, and Primal Groudon. With the defensive rest talk set it's able to act as a status absorber, and becomes this team's only switch-in to a dark void.

Ditto

A well played ditto can be very annoying to deal with. Be careful not too set up (too much at least). In order to beat it, you need to centralize your plays around the defensive backbone of the team.

Mega Salamence

Even though it's not very common anymore, earthquake salamence can be a problem to this team. The refresh variant can also be annoying, but should be easier to deal with. In order to beat the earthquake variant, you must prevent it from setting up, or cripple it before it does. Be especially wary when ekiller or excadrill are in, as those are the pokemon it will be able to set up on.

Darkrai

Life orb thunder darkai can be a big pain in the ass once it sets up. Again, your best bet of beating it is to not let it set up. Even if it sets up, excadrill beats it in sand, mega tyranitar should be able to live any one hit, as well as arceus.

Mewtwo (X/Y)

Mewtwo is a big threat to this team. Either form, or even life orb can take out at least half the members on the team. Your best bet would be to cripple it, making it much less of a threat. Setting up sand is also an option.

Latios

The four attacks variant of latios can be dangerous. A way to deal with it is to keep tyranitar healthy, so that it can take a grass knot, and either dragon dance, or revenge right away. Setting up sand, or thunder waving it when it switches into the primal groudon are also viable options.

Arceus Ground

Offensive arceus ground is the last big threat on this list. Again, don't let it set up. The best possible option to deal with it is to either get in primal kyogre before it can set up, or phaze it out with giratina-o.

It hasn't been that long since I began to intertwine with the ubers community. Apart from some major salt, and dumb ghosting accusations, I've enjoyed my stay. Since it's my first ubers RMT (my first RMT in general), I'll try to give as many people from the ubers community a shout out. Friends, esteemed, and just fun(ny) users. Basicly everyone from the ubers community who made my stay more enjoyable, gets a shoutout.

James Jimmy - When I began getting involved with the ubers community, JJ was the first to make me feel welcome. A great guy, friend, battler, and teambuilder.

Foggi - A good friend who often helps me out with teams. Cheers mate.

Lord Outrage - The best ORAS ubers player I know. A great friend, and a true g-sta.

aim - A special shoutout to joey, who used the early version of this team in one of his videos.

hyw - Very fun personality, borderline psychotic, and a great friend. Cya in tokyo fren ;)

Arii Stella - A good friend and conversation partner. Also the best cheerleader I know.

darrell1297 - Very cool guy, had a lot of fun times with him.

SparksBlade - As good of a tourhost/mod as he is a friend. You be the judge if that's good or not...

Level 56 - Haven't been that close to him, but probably one of the people here I've known the longest. Great person, great battler. Not much else to say.

LJDarkrai - Best t-wave user I know. Cool dude, check out his yt channel while you're at it. Larga vida a la magia amarilla!

magsyy - Great guy. Also the only non-ladder player that uses Deoxys-n.

Daenys - Baenys.

Samqian2 - The better version of samqian1. Fun dude.

Hack - Whenever I ask Hack to give his honest thoughts on a team, he will do so. Thank you for helping out with suggestions etc, and keeping an open mind ;P

Leru - CEO of Ghosting INC. Probably the only other dutch oras ubers player that I know.

ShadowQuinn - A great user and battler.

Steve Angello - Best (or should I say worst?) trashtalker I know... apart from CBB maybe. Good player, not only in ubers, but in ou as well.

Gunner Rohan - The same as shadowquinn. A great user, and battler.

Dilwar - For being Dilwar :]

Omfuga - Omfugod, the battler of heat.

Antacool - The anti-meta ladder lord.

orch - Cool mod :]

The Miracle - A cool guy.

DracoMaster Dab - The dab king.

Camilas - Congratz on voice!

Pohjis - A cool mod, and a cool guy.

Astounded - Among the best ORAS ubers players I know.

Mysterious M - Has been a good friend ever since UML.

benbe - The name is Nbad.

Parameter - Cool dude, and ladder god. Best 1D (ex)member by far.

Hassin627 - Best ghosting slot out there. Joking aside though, he's a cool guy.

Cranham - The "king" of sarcasm. Nice guy, solid player.

Lacus Clyne - A very good battler, and a nice person. Always nice to talk to her about anime/manga etc.

The Trap God - Great player, cool guy. #STAG

user php - The best shitposter within the ubers community.

Sonired - The Yung don himself. Has been a friend for a long time.

ZoroarkForever - Great guy, fantastic player.

slurmz - Best CAPmons player I've ever seen. Also the only CAPmons player I've ever seen.

DontStealMyPenguin - Fellow houselover :]

Carl Murray - Best UML manager. Pronto.

Sweep & Fireburn - Don't really know the two of you on a personal level, but just wanted to thank you for all your hard work within the ubers community. It's what keeps it alive, and makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Phew, that should cover about anyone. If I forgot you by any chance, just let me know in PM.

If you want to use my creation, just click on the importable below, and copy paste it in your teambuilder, and you're good to go. I would, however, request of you to keep the nicknames.

Golden Mole (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Desert's Guide (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Magic Coat

Saharian Sun (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave

Varanus Gigantus (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Sahara's Savior (Kyogre) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Desert's Reaper (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 244 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail

Video of pokeaimMD using the old version.

If you made it all the way to the sentence here at the bottom, then I applaud you. Thank you for taking the time to read my RMT, I hope you enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to make. Please leave a rate if you can spare some more time :]

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Appreciate the shoutout brah, as thanks I'll give you a rate.

One thing you could consider trying is Taunt > Crunch on Mega Tyranitar. +1 Stone Edge already does most of the things you'd want Crunch for, and Taunt gives you an easier matchup against stalls and Lugia balances which might be somewhat difficult to break otherwise.

Another consideration is running the physical Giratina-O set with Force/DTail/Sneak/eq or wisp or toxic over the special set. Not necessary per se, but the addition of Shadow Sneak makes Mewtwo, Latios, and SD Ghostceus easier to handle, which can all be somewhat troublesome otherwise. This would also reduce the need for Magic Coat on Arceus, letting you run Earthquake, Recover, or Stone Edge instead. A bulky Recover EKiller might be nice here to give you something else that can tank if the situation calls for it.

Some niche megas like Lucario and Ice Punch/EQ Kangaskhan are still pretty threatening, but there isn't much to be done about that and you can work around them.

Pretty good team overall, grats on making it to Youtube!

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is identical to standard sand HO except you allocated the Dragon Dancer to Mega Tyranitar and covered the need for a Ground immunity and EKiller check with Gira-O. The variant with Mega Salamence has the advantage of being able to slot Tyranitar to SR duties so that P Don is free and is more secure against opposing Mence since ttar is also able to run Shuca. The draw of adding a Ghost-type to this standard arrangement is that it should leave you much better off against offensive Psychics, except the moveset you chose doesn't really let you do this. You end up running a special set with T Wave (I guess because you're paranoid about Xern setup, this team doesn't have that much status spam to reap the full benefits of Hex use) which leaves you without Shadow Sneak. You mention Arceus-Ground being a weakness and again you can see the advantage of the Shuca ttar + Mence arrangement, although with def P Ogre and Gira-O it's not like you're especially vulnerable or anything.

With a Thunder Wave support P Don, a Life Orb EKiller, and ttar + Exca I don't think Xern is enough of an issue to where you need to run Hex Gira-O here. As I already pointed out I don't think this team particularly takes advantage of Hex either, meanwhile you say you're weak to offensive Psychics. For these reasons and some of the ones Fireburn mentions I second the opinion to make the Giratina-O set a physical one. Another variation on this build is to run Xerneas over P Ogre (it also uses Mence > Gira-O and Shuca ttar > Mega). Doing this allows you to still check Darkrai and have a strong special attacker. It also makes things like Latios and Yveltal less annoying and gives you a far more offensive stallbreaker.

But ya that's all I have to say about this family of arrangements. It's interesting to see players deviate to a familiar structure even when starting with a Pokemon as uncommon as Mega Tyranitar. Good luck with the team.

Thank you both for your rates, I appreciate it.
Taunt over Crunch is something I actually was considering ever since I swapped out yveltal for primal kyogre.
I eventually left crunch on it, since I like it better for offensive psychics, and it cases you just need to hit (stone edge always misses for me).
I might reconsider it though, thank you for the suggestion.
Changing the Giratina-O set to a more physical orientated set is something I can agree on.
The thunder wave on it is probably just my paranoia, with shadow sneak managing psychics should be easier to handle.
Scarf xerneas over primal kyogre might work, but I don't think it adds much to the team, except for dealing better with Mewtwo X and Yveltal, while leaving it weaker to ground-types.

PS: ty Fireburn :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)